Why don't more people go Fascist as Russia?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Abaddon55

Second Lieutenant
101 Badges
Nov 24, 2012
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
I've never seen a YouTuber or streamer use fascism to exploit Russia. It allows you to complete the purge without losing any officers or advisors. It says it will cause a civil war but as long as you switch to fascist before that the civil war never happens. It lets you keep all the good advisors and makes Russia even easier than usual

• 1Haha
Reactions:
There's your answer. Banned in MP and broken in SP.
Exactly. It's so OP that there's nothing even remotely challenging, and also has zero content for immersion or any other kind of fun.

The question is not "Why doesn't anyone play that?", the question is "Why anyone would?"

Reactions:
Its an exploit, USSR shouldnt even have access to democratic or fascist reformer advisors. Do you think Stalin would hire one? It makes no sense whatsoever.

• 2Like
Reactions:
My question is: Why would you want to?

It's a waste of a PP buy, you lose tons of stability for changing government, and communists can do everything fascists can do except for faster war justifications when at war with a major. You don't really care about losing a few advisors, most of the ones you purge are ones you would never need in a normal game anyway, like navy and air force high command, or redundant generals.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My question is: Why would you want to?

It's a waste of a PP buy, you lose tons of stability for changing government, and communists can do everything fascists can do except for faster war justifications when at war with a major. You don't really care about losing a few advisors, most of the ones you purge are ones you would never need in a normal game anyway, like navy and air force high command, or redundant generals.

Germany is less likely to attack you as a fascist government, so while they might attack you anyways you'll probably have an extra year or two on it. This means you can play around a bit more, since normally USSR gameplay is fairly one-dimensional (either you crush Germany quickly, or you spend the game fighting them; once Germany loses, you've basically won the game).

And, while a small change, you are getting to keep both Rokossovsky and Tukhachevsky (plus some of the other advisors).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Germany is less likely to attack you as a fascist government, so while they might attack you anyways you'll probably have an extra year or two on it. This means you can play around a bit more, since normally USSR gameplay is fairly one-dimensional (either you crush Germany quickly, or you spend the game fighting them; once Germany loses, you've basically won the game).

And, while a small change, you are getting to keep both Rokossovsky and Tukhachevsky (plus some of the other advisors).
Who else are you going to fight as Russia other than Germany? Go on a conquering spree of insignificant minors in Asia and Eastern Europe? Russia starts with a negligible navy so you're not going to be taking out the UK, USA, or Japan (unless you're exploiting). A Russia game that doesn't involve defeating the Axis seems like it would just be really tedious and boring, since it requires years of naval buildup to be able to challenge anyone else. It's kind of like the democratic Japanese path, you just don't have any enemies and no one attacks you if you go fascist as Russia so you sit around doing nothing the whole game.

Not to mention the fact that you don't need both Rokossovsky and Tukachevsky. You're only going to need one tank army until super late game and if you're grinding generals properly it's best to use a tank general and field marshal that don't start with any traits so you're probably using neither if you're playing optimally.

Who else are you going to fight as Russia other than Germany? Go on a conquering spree of insignificant minors in Asia and Eastern Europe? Russia starts with a negligible navy so you're not going to be taking out the UK, USA, or Japan (unless you're exploiting). A Russia game that doesn't involve defeating the Axis seems like it would just be really tedious and boring, since it requires years of naval buildup to be able to challenge anyone else. It's kind of like the democratic Japanese path, you just don't have any enemies and no one attacks you if you go fascist as Russia so you sit around doing nothing the whole game.

Not to mention the fact that you don't need both Rokossovsky and Tukachevsky. You're only going to need one tank army until super late game and if you're grinding generals properly it's best to use a tank general and field marshal that don't start with any traits so you're probably using neither if you're playing optimally.
I usually do it mostly just to get better advisors, you can either build a super Russia killing the allies before the axis, by taking Denmark and the Netherlands, or just killing the axis in 38 then taking the allies. Usually taking Poland, turkey and Romania. If you want to kill the US it facilitates that well. Or just when I want to larp as the Russian Empire restoring the old order of Europe

• 1Like
Reactions:
Neither Tukachevsky nor Rokossovsky have unlockable traits. They are both top tier grinding generals.

Reactions:

Its entirely a matter of playstyle. Realistically, most of us who play SP years after release are either screwing around with random scenarios (i.e. Germany versus Japan) or are massively-invested into mods (or both), since competitive play requires either human opponents or self-handicaps.

When you're interested in screwing around, normally the USSR is a terrible pick because you're locked into fighting Germany, but its a little more interesting to shift the theatres around by fighting against Japan or Italy instead (assuming Italy isn't allied with Germany). Its also why I tend to stay away from Russia though, since even here you lack the naval power to do much early on against distant opponents and your only real land rival is Germany.

You honestly can take on Japan or Italy fairly-easily as fascist Russia, however, as neither really build new capital ships and both are pretty close (take Turkey, and you have easy access to the eastern Med plus 3 battleships/CV conversions; Japan is a little awkward, but a battlefleet in Vladivostok plus naval bombers works fairly-well for a single seazone crossing, though Japan is usually rather difficult to land on). Even without exploits, the AI is really bad in attritional naval warfare, and you have time for naval expansion as fascist that you really don't have as communist.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have tried two game with Fascist soviet union and make a meme time ago, with my modded game(mod make by me) and the second one with a normal mod (russian + if i remember or russia rework). The yellow one is the flag of fascist russia Maked by me. Play fascist with the stand alone mod is more easier: you know germany not attack you. You help Axis to won and easy land to USA. Are too OP.
1615302092180.png

• 2Haha
Reactions:
That's neat. I never knew you could do that.

But if I had to guess why it's not popular, it probably has something to do with the fact that the Soviet Union doesn't have good advisors or high command options in the first place, aside from the illusive gentleman that you get access to regardless, and Rokossovsky, whom you can get even with the purge anyway.

The only fun thing to do as Russia is to go Democratic and RP the collapse of the USSR (Your country turns a nice shade of green). Fascist Russia is gross.

I just saw in another thread that fascist Russia still gets the Great Purge anyway? Is that true? That would kill it for me.

You have to do the focus, but you don't have to purge anyone. I'm not sure if the order matters or not, but I think you're supposed to do the purge before to avoid the purge's civil war (since changing governments while the civil war timer is clicking cancels it).

Reactions: