• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would love to see a GOG version, or any non-steam version. I've been burned by Steam torching my local data on update multiple times (not just on Paradox games, but also on Paradox games.)

Yeah. I remember when video rental giant Blockbuster went out of business and all the banks closed. There was panic in the streets. :D

If PDS is still around, I guess they would find a new way to distribute and update their games should something unforeseen happen to Valve.

Yeah. i remember all those movies i can no longer watch because they were blockbuster exclusive. :(

If steam ever goes out of business eu4 is completely dead.
As per the steam terms steam has to provide a way to continue using your games. Also if you are in the EU, which your avatar suggests you still are for a few more years, then you have much better conditions on steam, since all the nasty steam clauses are null and void in the EU due to EU laws. (Which steam acknowledges and notes before those clauses that they aren't applicable to Europeans.)

As per the steam terms steam has to provide a way to continue using your games.
That may be good if they shift their focus to some other area and decide to shut down the portal but I have a hard time believing that will happen if they actually go out of business. However, as long as Paradox is still around I'm sure they would provide an alternate means to download their games and updates (although probably not MP for games that are no longer actively developed). And as said earlier if they aren't around then you can still play the games without MP as long as you keep them backed up somewhere instead of assuming Steam will always be available to redownload.

Last edited:
Reactions:
but I have a hard time believing that will happen if they actually go out of business.
Unless something really really extreordinary happens they won't go bust assetless. So there will be something for the curator to push out such a solution with. Though initially they would most likely try some restructuring under chapter 11 bankruptcy. So I don't see it not happening on bankruptcy; especially given that Steam has stated they will make it happen in case of bankruptcy, so I'd wager they already have a plan for what to do in case of the unlikely happening.
The only possible problem is that I'm not sure if the curator needs to cover all debt before fulfilling this obligation.

And as said earlier if they aren't around then you can still play the games without MP as long as you keep them backed up somewhere instead of assuming Steam will always be available to redownload.
There might be issues with DLC there; at least in the past when playing for an extended time without accessing Steam your DLC would become unauthenticated and hence not useable until you logged back into Steam. Though I'm sure that in this case PI could release a patch which prevented that unauthentication from happening.

Look. Assuming Steam is even capable of going under, the moment they do whoever gets to buy the rights to maintaining their services gains an instantly huge market share.

Worst case scenario is that server access is lost for a few months while the pieces are put back together.

The market will solve this non issue. The doom and gloom attitude is so hilariously misplaced in this case.

Reactions:
Look. Assuming Steam is even capable of going under, the moment they do whoever gets to buy the rights to maintaining their services gains an instantly huge market share.

Worst case scenario is that server access is lost for a few months while the pieces are put back together.

The market will solve this non issue. The doom and gloom attitude is so hilariously misplaced in this case.

If only there were some kind of historical record of DRM services going dark in the past so we could get a real handle on what it's like.

Reactions:

Yes. Because music and games are completely comparable.

Let me explain again, in terms you can hopefully grasp:

If you bought "Never going to give you up" on Yahoo's DRM-service you can access that track elsewhere with little issue. You can go on youtube, or Spotify, or any of a dozen services. There's no real incentive for a competitor to buy the rights to the Yahoo service and keep serving you your DRM-music. Not least of all because DRM-music is almost literally dead in the water.

If you bought EU4 on steam and steam belly flops (which it won't, because they're making obscene amounts of money; gabe is a goddamned billionaire) there's no way to access EU4 anywhere else since it's so intimately tied to the steam architecture. The competitors have an actual incentive to pick up Steam and rebrand it whatever since most if not all the Steam customers are locked into the platform by their investments.

These apocalyptic scenarios you guys are painting are hilarious.

Reactions: