• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there away to play EU without the main focus being war? If so please tell me more....i would love to get into that game.
Try Venice. It's a different experience because you're supposed to trade with the world, not conquer it. Its government type actually penalizes you for holding lots of land directly. You'll be more involved with maintaining alliances to avoid war (it's bad for business) than with actually fighting.

There's still plenty of war though, especially when the Ottomans get all up in your face. Most of your army will be mercenaries because you have tons of gold but little manpower. I actually have no idea how a Venice run copes with the new mercenary system; I played it before that.

If there is a game with similar economy please let me know.

Closest thing I've found is Supreme Ruler series, which is a buggy mess.
Hmm. Not a similar economy, but you might still enjoy The Last Federation because it's all about manipulating the existing governments to get them to do what you want, and brute force rarely works.

Reactions:
Besides the Victorian Age with its pre-modern "mass evolution" itself (technology, urbanization, industrial and human development etc.) I like it especially for one reason: to be able to change history right before our modern age.

I always assume how our world of today would look like if certain things / country developments between 1836-1914 (=> 1945) would never have occurred...and if I can prevent those things from actually happening. ;-)

victorian_menswear.jpg

Fashion!

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • The setting, industrial revolution is just by far more interesting to me than all the other PDX games.
  • You can play in more ways than just blobbing all over the map and enjoy the game.
  • The world changes so fundamentally throughout the session. Not just in the borders, but societal upheaval, ideologies and industrialisation.
  • All the detailed pop information and societal effects of your politics make the world feel so much more alive than other PDX games. Changes are not instant and can ripple throughout your empire in form of rebellions, migration and more.
  • It's way easier to play (for me) than EU, CK and HOI. Especially in CK I can never keep track of all the people and schemes involving mine and my neighbors courts.
  • It's less complex than the feature-overburdened games that have dozens of DLC. It's personal preference, for me vanilla HOD has the perfect amount of complexity and I already feel overwhelmed when loading V2 with HPM enabled.
  • A session of 100 years is reasonably short for a casual player like me. I cannot and do not want to invest hundreds of hours into the grand campaign for a single country.

• 4Like
Reactions:
For me, its the little things.
1. making a change in the budget is not a direct relationship to change, like in the real world it takes time, unlike in most game if you need more soldiers or education you just make it.
2. war fare is NOT the primary point of this game. I love that.
3. Little things like the crisis issues. I had a game as America where i spent a fortune getting Brazil into my sphere and then I paid to build up the infrastructure to get more rubber out of them. Then their was a rebellion threatening all of my investment, next thing you know American sons where dyeing in the jungles of Brazil to keep a certain regime in power..........what other game has things like that???
CK2 and CK3 does number two and three better. As much as I love Victoria 2 I do think Victoria 1 is the much better game, Well except for the world map. Victoria 2 has the best world map of any Paradox game.

Reactions:
To expand on MrReaper182's comments, wars in most GSGs are fought to "paint the map". Wars in V2 are usually fought for the same economic or political reasons why real wars were fought.

In V2, war is one tool in the toolbox of diplomacy. The economy and political party or pops are the primary considerations. In most strategy games, diplomacy is merely a tool to aid the prosecution of a war, and war is the primary consideration for all other systems. If you just want to fight wars in the 1800s, Victoria 2 is an adequate game at best; if you want to "run a country" in the 1800s, there's nothing else even remotely capable of providing that experience. Worse, there are hardly any games capable of providing a remotely comparable experience for any other time period.

Personally, I'm indifferent to the "Victorian Age" setting, but the economy, politics, and especially "pops" keeps drawing me back to it, rather than games set in timeframes I'd actually prefer.

Reactions:
Really love the POPs, really love revolutions with flag changes, really love WW1 - sadly this game only gave me 2/3rds of what I wanted.

Really love the POPs, really love revolutions with flag changes, really love WW1 - sadly this game only gave me 2/3rds of what I wanted.
Meatloaf says that ain't bad.;)

• 2Like
Reactions: