Why do some Kingdoms have House Seniority rule super early?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Monkbel

Lt. General
102 Badges
Oct 21, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Majesty 2
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • BATTLETECH
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
I am playing 1066 start. Now it's 1104. I noticed that one guy holds Kingdoms of Bohemia, Poland and Hungary, and all of those have the same heir - because they all have House Seniority. That guy is Czech.
House Seniority is supposed to be gated by Heraldry innovation. Czechs obviously don't have Heraldry, since it is in "High Medieval", and right now they are in "Early Medieval" era still.

1599088129887.png

Possibly locked in to try to mimic real-life situation of the time not matching up to their tech system?

(I don't know, this is a guess on my part).

Bohemia has it by default, though I admit I don't know how the other two titles ended up with it. Either the Czech's have a cultural innovation that allows it early or your main title succession law overrides the ones of titles you take over.

The whole inheritance system needs an overhaul. Urgently. Being stuck with gavelkind for 80% of the game is fucking ridiculous. Meanwhile countries like Bohemia or Byzantium can snowball hard because of their consolidated succession.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Because Slavic cultures did practice something resembling seniority inheritance. (It was a bit more involved than that, but the broad principle is there.)

thank you all for sharing. it's helpful.

Ok, it makes sense that Kingdom of Bohemia would practice that. But it wouldn't make sense to keep Poland and Hungary on that too just because the same guy happens to hold all three - they should be partitioned out.

thank you all for sharing. it's helpful.

Ok, it makes sense that Kingdom of Bohemia would practice that. But it wouldn't make sense to keep Poland and Hungary on that too just because the same guy happens to hold all three - they should be partitioned out.

Hmm, this is a hard one. I suppose it would depend on how the territory was taken - if Hungary was conquered bit by bit for a hundred years, and is held exclusively by Czech vassals, it would make sense for them to bring Seniority from home. If it was inherited in a day, and is still held by Hungarian vassals, it would make sense for it to be very hard to switch to Seniority.

I suppose this could be modelled in game by having non-Czech vassals get a massive opinion malus to Seniority before they themselves have discovered it, thereby making it very difficult to change the title over to Seniority. This could be generalised, so that any vassals in CK3 of a culture that hasn't discovered a particular form of succession law would be resistant to implementing it. Seems like there would be ways to cheese this though (destroying the title).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Currently, the way this is implemented in the game is that partition law is not at the level of a title but at the level of a person. So if King of Bohemia has Seniority succession and he conquers Kingdom of Hungary, he can't at all have two different succession rules for these two titles. It's a huge game limitation.