• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kryndude

Lt. General
60 Badges
Mar 3, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
Most of your titles have larger UI mods in the workshop and other UI improvement or overhaul mods, and imo that says something about your UI design. I sort of understand the use of small font size because you have so much info to fit into one screen, but what's ironic is that you guys make tooltip windows or boxes so small that it defeats the purpose of them. As a result you resort to lots of scrolls which is a very inconvenient way of accessing information. Instead you could've just made the box a little bigger so that more texts could be presented at once.

For example, below is a snapshot from HOI4.

1.png

I guarantee you, there was plenty of room left on the screen to make that box bigger so that I wouldn't have to use that tiny scroll bar to see the entire prerequisites. I got a bit lazy, because as you all know clicking, dragging, scrolling stuff in PDX games can get tiresome at times, so I proceeded with the game without bothering to check the entire thing because often they're unimportant stuff. This time it wasn't.

2.png

Turns out there's an important piece of information hidden inside that tiny window. Now I have to restart the entire game because my National Focus order is completely messed up. I admit that this one's mostly my fault, but throughout the years of playing PDX games I've always wondered why the UI has to be so unnecessarily small. I just wasn't motivated enough to mention this on the official forum until the above incident happened.

TL;DR - Plz make your pop-up windows bigger so that it presents more info simultaneously. It doesn't matter if it covers half the screen because opening it up means you're not looking at the base map for the time being.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Because it still so that the optimal screen size to make your game for is so that as many as possible can run your game.

About 1 in 10 people has a screen resolution of 1024x768 or less. You are missing out on customers if you do not make the game playable for them.

Here is some statistics about it:

Reactions:
Because it still so that the optimal screen size to make your game for is so that as many as possible can run your game.

About 1 in 10 people has a screen resolution of 1024x768 or less. You are missing out on customers if you do not make the game playable for them.

That's the fallacy of statistics. It's not 10% of gamers, it's 10% of PC users. I don't think people would even attempt to play PDX games on 1024x769 or less.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Most of your titles have larger UI mods in the workshop and other UI improvement ...

Yep, there was your answer. Paradox doesn’t strictly need to spend resources on their UI’s, since the game files allow modders to improve/change at will. They can focus on optimizing for the lowest common resolution.

Reactions:

That makes no sense. Ever heard of UI scaling? Look at this website on phone and PC, it scales according to device you use. No reason games could not do the same.

• 1Like
Reactions: