Why can't we buy content (music, face, unit packs) individually? Why reduce consumer choice?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looking at the list of DLC now I am like eh, it's nothing. Mainly because I bought it over time as it was released and on sale. However, if I only found this game last week and saw the amount of DLC I would think it isn't worth it and turn the other way. So I think you're probably right.

You're absolutely right. I just bought the game and all its DLC about two months ago and despite the Steam sale, I was shocked how much everything cost, including the ridiculous amount of DLC. It reminded me when Bethesda (Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) was charging $3 for horse armor dlc.

My issue though with grouping the dlc is, at this point, the damage is done. They already have too much dlc. Grouping things isn't going to make someone new, like me, all of a sudden change their mind at the huge amount of dlc (not to mention the total price for the full CK2 experience!).

Reactions:
Its not drama, im just complaining about their new dlc policy, is it hard to distinguish those two? Its just people always seem to be like "oh its just that amount of money".

When people are using terms like "robbed" and "forced" then I'd argue that it's textbook drama.

It's probably not worth their time to do all these micro packs individually. Good companies respect the customer but the reverse also holds true. People need to respect the content creators right to package their content in the way they see fit so long as the offer is reasonable and $5.99 for what they are offering is reasonable and shouldn't pose a problem to most people's bank accounts. If it does then you probably need to reevaluate your priorities.

Reactions:
You're absolutely right. I just bought the game and all its DLC about two months ago and despite the Steam sale, I was shocked how much everything cost, including the ridiculous amount of DLC. It reminded me when Bethesda (Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) was charging $3 for horse armor dlc.

My issue though with grouping the dlc is, at this point, the damage is done. They already have too much dlc. Grouping things isn't going to make someone new, like me, all of a sudden change their mind at the huge amount of dlc (not to mention the total price for the full CK2 experience!).

I agree 100%. I love this game. One of my favorite games ever and I want nothing more than new people to pick it up and start playing. But that list is very very intimidating.

Sure, but we're talking completely optional, purely cosmetic content for a computer strategy game. It's not like we're talking about whether or not you can feed your children. All of us can afford to purchase CK2 and a computer to play it on, and we can afford the leisure time to play it for 100s of hours. It's not like we're living under bridges. Just the level of drama seems way out of proportion to the problem. o_O

Meh. I'm not defending the scale of exaggeration. I'm just saying that the response of "It's just $6!" is equally unnecessary and unhelpful.

All of CK2's DLC, without being on sale, amount to $220. A lot? A little? Meh. It's a value judgement the individual has to make.

I don't understand what the total price of all the DLC has to do with anything, since they're not talking about all the DLC being bundled together.

Reactions:
When people are using terms like "robbed" and "forced" then I'd argue that it's textbook drama.

It's probably not worth their time to do all these micro packs individually. Good companies respect the customer but the reverse also holds true. People need to respect the content creators right to package their content in the way they see fit so long as the offer is reasonable and $5.99 for what they are offering is reasonable and shouldn't pose a problem to most people's bank accounts. If it does then you probably need to reevaluate your priorities.
Well, its quite strange that dlc policy was changed in middle of games lifetime. I will simply not buy it (at least yet) because im not forced to but i just expressed my complaint about it because it was other way for a whole time and i think its much better to change dlc policy with next upcoming title instead of doing it in the middle of games lifetime.

Also, in my opinion, portraits are something that should have been in base game at release date, its a huge part of role play, it kind of defeats role play aspect when you are playing as arab in siberia..

If six bucks is a lot of money to be giving up, you honestly have bigger things to worry about than music being lumped together with face packs.

...Besides, it's not as simple as "Just have all the face packs in at launch.". There's going to be a point where the Devs want the game out and for every person who complains about the DLC, there'd be five who'd whine about the game being so damn slow with coming out.

Personally, I'll take the completely optional cosmetics being added at later dates for a small price.

Reactions:
Mongol Unit Pack $1.99
Early Frankish, Early Germanic & Italian Unit Packs $1.99
Cuman Portraits Packs $1.99
+Songs of the Steppes Music Pack $1.99

Should equal $7.96, but it doesnt. its $5.99. Meaning you get one of those for free.

People whined when they sold them each individually. People are whining now at the bundles. Proof positive that people will bitch no matter what Pdox does.

Reactions:
Mongol Unit Pack $1.99

Should equal $7.96, but it doesnt. its $5.99. Meaning you get one of those for free.

People whined when they sold them each individually. People are whining now at the bundles. Proof positive that people will bitch no matter what Pdox does.
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Reactions:
I don't care about the price, but the way they shoe horned the European units into the Horse Lords Content Pack is kind of off putting.

One, this is clearly a tactic to force those who don't care about the other non-European related content to buy the other content as well.

Two, it sucks that even in a non-European themed expansion, there still HAS to be something there to cater to these people. Especially when Turks and other nomads are still using European councellor sprites. But nope, the Europeans need to have ERA specific units now.

I think the amount of content justifies the price, but the European units really don't belong here. I would have been fine paying the same price just for the three nomadic feature points. As it is, Horse Lords C should have offered more relevant content, and the European units should have been a separate DLC.

Reactions:
Mongol Unit Pack $1.99

"People" have differing opinions? Very odd theory.

Mongol Unit Pack $1.99

Well, instead of giving us both options, they gave us only one option. We had one option to buy individually, now we have only one option to buy whole bundle

One of these things where dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.
We get lots of complaints when they are offered individual, and people want them organized in packs.
This time we tried it this way, next time or in the future who knows, but it is consumers that drive the market.
Offering both ways and in different smaller packs, just adds an even greater number of SKUs on the list that people complain about now.
We constantly look at these types of issues and appreciate the constructive feed back.

Reactions:
Is there anyway as a developer to distinguish "Gamplay DLC" from "Music DLC" or "Cosmetic DLC" in Steam?

I would love it if the DLC was divided like that. I often will buy Gameplay and Music DLCs right away, but wait for sales on Cosmetic DLC. If I could easily group them, it would be convenient, and it likely would keep new people from being overwhelmed by the number of Gameplay DLCs.

Reactions:
Mongol Unit Pack $1.99

If it was individually, I'd only buy the portraits and music pack, making it 4 dollars, therefore I'd lose two dollars because of the bundle. =)

Reactions:
We get lots of complaints when they are offered individual, and people want them organized in packs.
This time we tried it this way, next time or in the future who knows, but it is consumers that drive the market.
Offering both ways and in different smaller packs, just adds an even greater number of SKUs on the list that people complain about now.
We constantly look at these types of issues and appreciate the constructive feed back.
I think it looks great when the bundles are related to each other. Having Early Italian units in just don't fit in this bundle. Bundles that fit a specific theme works great. :)

Reactions:

I think a lot of these complaints were made because Steam didn't use to show which DLCs you already own on the DLC list, so back then it was really a PITA to check what you owned and reducing the number of DLCs would've made things easier.

The other argument is that a huge list of DLCs can turn off potential players. A list of 50 DLCs can be a bad first impression but it's also very confusing, and the fact that the "collection" never includes everything doesn't help.

Random idea: instead of releasing those "content packs", why not bundle older DLCs together? And bundle them by category (unit pack, portrait pack, music pack)? Like make a "CK2 Unit Pack I" with every unit up to e.g. Turkish, then make a "Unit Pack II" when enough subsequent unit DLCs have been released, etc. My reasoning is that someone who wants a unit pack might have no interest in music, but probably wants the other unit packs as well.

Reactions: