• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

John Doe

Sergeant
29 Badges
Jan 31, 2018
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III
Just got this game today. I'm playing as Austria and decided to go to war against Venice. For whatever reason I can't move troops into their country to fight them but they can move into mine and wreck havoc in my provinces. I already checked the tutorial and FAQs around here and found no real answer.

9q1mPIz.png

qJznT4t.png

Just got this game today. I'm playing as Austria and decided to go to war against Venice. For whatever reason I can't move troops into their country to fight them but they can move into mine and wreck havoc in my provinces. I already checked the tutorial and FAQs around here and found no real answer.

The answer is one of the unique features of Venice. It is an island located in a marsh connected to the surrounding provinces by straits.
That means you can’t simply march over there to siege it, as long as a hostile navy controls the sea around Venice.
You first have to defeat the venetian (or their allies) navy (or be lucky and the AI sends the navy away) and only then you can march there.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ftg-1-3-beta-23-june.697805/page-2
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/problems-attacking-venice.176838/

Last edited:
Hah, I didn't know that either. I always kept a garrison in Venice for nothing when I played last. That's a goofy setting because Veneto is under attack not the city of Venice necessarily. I'd change the Venice province's adj-defs file to open up the land routes.

Hah, I didn't know that either. I always kept a garrison in Venice for nothing when I played last. That's a goofy setting because Veneto is under attack not the city of Venice necessarily. I'd change the Venice province's adj-defs file to open up the land routes.

It is true that "Veneto" is the far larger part of the province. However Venice should be able to defend itself against far stronger landpowers until Napoleon comes - and being an island and having a navy gives them not only some of their naval power in the med feeling but unique flavour and a staying power in wars in which they need to persist against the Habsburgs or the Ottomans.

There are however Mods with maps different than the vanilla map and there Veneto and Ducato (Venice city proper + some islands and a small strip of coastal land) are two provinces with only Venice proper being an island. Plvs Vltra for example has a tiny Venice island as far as I remember.

In the vanilla game I do not recommend to remove the island feature for Venice - it will weaken them and further a quick demise vs. larger landpowers. However if you want to mod your own vanilla game you have to change this:

Folder
G:\Paradox\For the Glory\Db\Map
File
adj_defs.txt
and the 4 entries about #make venice an island

Edit: Historical nitpick - "K. u. K. Armee" in 1428? K u K refers to (best known) Kaiserlich und Königlich (Imperial and royal) in the time when the Habsburgs were Emperors of Austria and Kings of Hungary or (less known but historically correct too) k. k. (Kaiserlich königlich/Imperial royal).
But in 1428 they were not Emperors, nor Kings yet - only Dukes of Austria, Styria and Tyrol. Only when they later obtained Bohemia they got their first King title.

Last edited:
Porto_di_Lido-San_Nicol%C3%B2.jpg
Venetian_Lagoon