Why can't i chose my heir as Byzantium?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just a few examples:

As well as the aforementioned Manuel I Komnenos. Another example I could cite was Constantine XI, who was regarded as John VIII’s heir even when his elder brothers were still alive.

I see you posted the links to a bunch of Medieval Roman emperors. While they are all fascinating, I would like something related to the discussion at hand please ;)

Reactions:
The main problem is that the game doesn't allow for interregnum to happen, a title always needs a holder.

Therefore, the uncertain time between the death of a monarch and the acceptance of another is turned into "one is crowned and people are grumpy for 5 years, sometimes very grumpy".

Byzantine succession was tricky because there was no law that regulated it, as opposed to the sometimes detailed hereditary customs and laws of the Feudal west. I don't think saying Byzantium was a "military dictatorship" is accurate, or rather, that the big difference between the Feudal west (essentially a warlord period where power lies with the ability to muster military support through the concession of lands in heredity to the commanders) and the post-Komnenian Byzantine Empire (a phantom state where the illusion of continuity of power was maintained by a strong military commander at the helm of a fading bureaucratic state, helped by a tacit understanding between such bureaucratic corps and the military aristocracy of the provinces) is one that can't be handled by the engine, and also which doesn't really matter all that much.

In any case, the Byzantine Empire characters should be clearly divided between Constantinopolitan courtiers and military aristocrats, because they were both whole different worlds in themselves. Maybe make more holdings in the area around Thrace, Nicea and Nikomedia, and have these holdings be special "court holdings" or something, all virtually living in Constantinople, or have the Courtiers also hold a barony in the City. Otherwise the tension between the Palace and the Provinces can't be ever really felt, and without it, Byzantine succession will always be wonky.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I see you posted the links to a bunch of Medieval Roman emperors. While they are all fascinating, I would like something related to the discussion at hand please ;)
We were talking about Roman Emperors *in game period* appointing an heir.

Those seem to be Roman Emperors in game period appointing heirs.

I don't get why you don't think they're related to the discussion?

Reactions:
What are you talking about? You said you did not know of any heirs who were not appointed by the principle of primogeniture. I provided you a list of Byzantine emperors who were appointed their predecessors’ heirs’ even when they were not their eldest sons, either through adoption or becoming son-in-laws. If that is not something relevant to the discussion, I’m afraid I have no idea at all of what you are discussing.

Reactions:
Being able to appoint your own, chosen, non-dynastic heir would be something they might be able to do, but it'd result in you losing the title and reverting to your dynastic heir (whoever that might be based on succession for other titles you hold).

In short, you wouldn't tend to be emperor for more than one generation.

Now, which *in period* Emperors adopted a non-dynastic heir over their own bloodline?
Also, just to address this point, I cannot think of any example where a Byzantine emperor voluntarily appointed a non-dynastic heir without any sort of relationship with the imperial family as his heir during the time-frame of CK3. Non-dynastic heirs were not uncommon, but they were always married to the Emperor's daughters. Unfortunately, CK3 does not allow sons-in-law to inherit titles directly from their fathers-in-law while in a matrilineal marriage. Therefore, for now this aspect of Byzantine succession cannot be accurately modeled, even if they imported Imperial Elective from CK2.

However, that is not to say that adoption was particularly uncommon. I quote the Oxford Dictionary of Byzantium:

"In Byz. legal practice adoption did not establish patria potestas; the adopted child/adult could inherit from an adoptive parent only if the latter died intestate (Epanagoge aucta 15,9) or expressly designated the adopted child as heir (Sathas, MB 6:628-31). Leo VI extended the right to adopt to eunuchs and unmarried women (novs. 26, 27) and stipulated that an ecclesiastical blessing, not any civil procedure, was to be the essential constitutive act of adoption (nov. 24; Balsamon in commentary on canon 53 of Trullo - Rhalles-Potles, Syntagma 2:429-31). Adoption thys became a spiritual relationship "above all those of the flesh", like baptismal sponsorship with which it shared a common terminology and similar marriage impediments. From notarial contract formulas and case histories it emerges that children were given up for adoption by widows/widowers who could not afford to raise their offspring, while children were adopted by childless couples in order to obtain descendants and heirs. Michael Psellos' adoption of a daughter is the best documented case (A. Leroy-Molinghen, Byzantion 39 [1969 284-317). Couples with children of their own might also adopt. A series of (proposed) adoptions by childless imperial couples in the 11th century indicates a desire to provide an heir to the throne (Zoe's adoption of Michael V Kalaphates, nephew of her husband Michael IV), but also an attempt to forestall coups by their prospective adopted sons (Michael VI's adoption of Isaac Komnenos; Nikephoros Botaneiates' adoption of Nikephoros Bryennios).

In painting, the legitimization of paternity was expressed by the act of holding an adopted child upon the "father's" knees. Probably derived from images of Abraham and Lazarus, as in the Paris Gregory, by the 11th century this pose was used for the "Ancient of Days" (see Christ) and, from the 12th century, in images of the Trinity. A political extension of the motif occurs in the Madrid MS of John Skylitzes, where both foreign princes adopted by the emperor and Byzantines adopted by foreign rulers are shown on the knees of their "parents"."
(Kazhdan et al., 1991: p. 22)

So, yes, adoption was a thing, but it usually didn't factor in imperial succession unless the Emperor did not have male heirs or wanted to subdue political infighting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A whole bunch of nobles from the 10th and even 11th Centuries got their titles from marrying the daughter of the previous family. It seems that, in Frankish-influenced Europe, women couldn't hold titles at all at least until the years 1000-1050, when the situation began to change (Matilda of Canossa being a prime example of this shift). The game should probably portray this with a different kind of agnatic succession, where the husband of the wife inherits the titles regardless of whether there's someone else in the family (although this was done, most often, when there were no other heirs in sight).

Interestingly, while this custom died out in Europe, and the custom shifted to "women can hold titles, even if they can't (usually) rule directly", it survived and thrived in that theme-park of Western Feudalism called the Crusader States, where I think the succession of Jerusalem is impossible to recreate through the game's mechanics.

The Byzantine Empire would benefit from such a succession law (women pass titles to their husbands, not their children).

• 1Like
Reactions:
A whole bunch of nobles from the 10th and even 11th Centuries got their titles from marrying the daughter of the previous family. It seems that, in Frankish-influenced Europe, women couldn't hold titles at all at least until the years 1000-1050, when the situation began to change (Matilda of Canossa being a prime example of this shift). The game should probably portray this with a different kind of agnatic succession, where the husband of the wife inherits the titles regardless of whether there's someone else in the family (although this was done, most often, when there were no other heirs in sight).

Interestingly, while this custom died out in Europe, and the custom shifted to "women can hold titles, even if they can't (usually) rule directly", it survived and thrived in that theme-park of Western Feudalism called the Crusader States, where I think the succession of Jerusalem is impossible to recreate through the game's mechanics.

The Byzantine Empire would benefit from such a succession law (women pass titles to their husbands, not their children).
The problem is related to the mechanic itself, which also prevents players from playing as theocratic rulers.
IMO, since you are playing as a family, not a line, you should always be able to switch to another character in your dynasty upon death.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The problem is related to the mechanic itself, which also prevents players from playing as theocratic rulers.
IMO, since you are playing as a family, not a line, you should always be able to switch to another character in your dynasty upon death.
Not if your son-in-law is married matrilineally to your daughter. The classic Byzantine example is John III Doukas Vatatzes. He married Eirene Laskarina and succeeded his father-in-law, Theodore I Laskaris. Their son succeeded him as Theodore II Laskaris. Currently the engine would force you to play as Eirene Laskarina, or worse, make Theodore II a Vatatzes, like they did in CK2.

Not if your son-in-law is married matrilineally to your daughter. The classic Byzantine example is John III Doukas Vatatzes. He married Eirene Laskarina and succeeded his father-in-law, Theodore I Laskaris. Their son succeeded him as Theodore II Laskaris. Currently the engine would force you to play as Eirene Laskarina, or worse, make Theodore II a Vatatzes, like they did in CK2.
So, if understand that correctly...

What is needed to correct this problem would be a character decision that, if you play as the Byzantine Emperor and only have daughters you can "adopt" the husband of one of your daughters into you dynasty, in which case he becomes both your dynastic and your player heir. Right?

Because, yeah, that seems reasonable.

Stop using this excuse, this game was in development for many years, apparently since 2016. Apparently, they used 80% of their resources on graphics, because this game offers little innovation in gameplay.
I don't care.

Byzantine Empire shouldn't even be playable. It should be like a Fallen Empire in Stellaris and hte only way to "reform" it is to attack it from outside and take the title for yourself. If left to it's own devices it should degenerate and collapse by late game. There should be a random 10% chance event where they "awaken".

This Byzantine obsession with this community is annoying and it should be ended once and for all. This game was never made to by a Byzantine simulator, it was always feudalism simulator. Every time they tried to patch something else on like Republics it turns out to be kind of shitty because it's not what the game is about.

The ONLY reason it's not like this, how it should be, is because people here who was to do absurd shit that shouldn't be in the game like Hellenism restoration would go nuts. They need to design an entire layer of special gameplay for one nation. Simply not worth it for a meme. This is an annoyance in every historical gaming community too not just Paradox games.

You can always play CK2 or Imperator.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't care.

Byzantine Empire shouldn't even be playable. It should be like a Fallen Empire in Stellaris and hte only way to "reform" it is to attack it from outside and take the title for yourself. If left to it's own devices it should degenerate and collapse by late game. There should be a random 10% chance event where they "awaken".

This Byzantine obsession with this community is annoying and it should be ended once and for all. This game was never made to by a Byzantine simulator, it was always feudalism simulator. Every time they tried to patch something else on like Republics it turns out to be kind of shitty because it's not what the game is about.

The ONLY reason it's not like this, how it should be, is because people here who was to do absurd shit that shouldn't be in the game like Hellenism restoration would go nuts. They need to design an entire layer of special gameplay for one nation. Simply not worth it for a meme. This is an annoyance in every historical gaming community too not just Paradox games.

I think neglecting the non-Latin West would both be an awful business decision and a poor decision for making the game more fun. There's plenty of folks who don't even play those regions very often.

I do get a kick out of people being annoyed by us Byzaboos. Though admittedly the regular "They're ROMANS" threads do get a bit tiresome they're also not that hard to ignore. But I guess that's just market demand being signalled for more Byzantine content, so I'm okay with it if it scores us an expansion pack focused on Byzantium sooner than later.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't care.

If you did that you would alienate countless players and potential buyers.
People want to play the Byzantine empire because it was a fundamental player in the Middle ages, whose actions (or lack thereof) influenced huge portions of Europe.

Also by the same logic Vikings and tribes shouldn't be playable.

I think neglecting the non-Latin West would both be an awful business decision and a poor decision for making the game more fun. There's plenty of folks who don't even play those regions very often.

I do get a kick out of people being annoyed by us Byzaboos. Though admittedly the regular "They're ROMANS" threads do get a bit tiresome they're also not that hard to ignore. But I guess that's just market demand being signalled for more Byzantine content, so I'm okay with it if it scores us an expansion pack focused on Byzantium sooner than later.

While I agree with you, I do want to play as a Byzie lord, I also kinda agree with @Kanaric here... the Byzantine Empire, as well as other states from the Middle Ages (like republics, theocracies, military orders and steppe empires) worked in a manner that the CK3 engine, cranked up for the Feudal phenomenon, isn't very good at portraying.

One thing CK3 can't portray about Byzantium, as I've said in other occasions, is the importance of Constantinople and court life, the city bureaucracy, the palace posse, the eunuchs, the kamerarios and the protovestiarios and the spatharios and the long etcetera of court positions... CK3 only models the relationship between ruler and province governors. It would be like having a US politics game where the President only plays with the state governors, and neither Congress nor the Senate are elements in the game.

And the worst is that these court positions were indeed very much dynastic in nature, and family and personal relationships played a massive role in them.... but they were not territorial domains, they were not military-based. So they don't fit the CK3 mold.

Romanos Diogenes, disgraced as he was, has more power than, for instance, the all-powerful finance minister of the starting emperor Michael, Nikephoritzes, when in fact it was the opposite. And of course the reason why Michael Doukas lost his throne, mostly based on courtly disputes and economic mismanagement (as well as the infamous devaluation of coinage) is impossible to show ingame, whereas the reason why feudal wars happened in Europe (personal dislike, familial disputes and succession conflicts) is the centre of the game.

Stuff like "claims" and "de jure land" and "inheritance" makes no sense when your title has been given to you by the Emperor, and not by your father in a well established traidition of inheritance.

So... I don't know. I feel like Paradox could, if they wanted, model the Byzantine Empire (and China, and the other great empires) in a way that made sense and was fun, with estates separate from your title and mechanics to represent your influence in court, and courtly dynasties, and the tension between them and you, the province warlord... but will they, or will they be content in having a Porphyrogennetos mechanic, court titles that mean nothing and call it a day?

So, if understand that correctly...

What is needed to correct this problem would be a character decision that, if you play as the Byzantine Emperor and only have daughters you can "adopt" the husband of one of your daughters into you dynasty, in which case he becomes both your dynastic and your player heir. Right?

Because, yeah, that seems reasonable.
Not exactly. Yes, the husband married to your daughter should become the player heir, but he shouldn’t change his dynasty. John III didn’t become a Laskaris by marrying Eirene Laskarina. His son was a Laskaris instead. On the other hand, you have sons-in-law who pass on their family name instead of their wives’. For example, John III’s predecessor was Theodore I Laskaris, who was the husband of Anna Angelina and the son-in-law of Alexios III Angelos. However, he passed on the Laskaris name instead of the disgraced Angelos name, in which case it should be a game over for the Angelos player. In short, you need a decision to allow you to play a non-dynastic heir as long as he is married matrilineally to your daughter in the Byzantine context.

Not exactly. Yes, the husband married to your daughter should become the player heir, but he shouldn’t change his dynasty. John III didn’t become a Laskaris by marrying Eirene Laskarina. His son was a Laskaris instead. On the other hand, you have sons-in-law who pass on their family name instead of their wives’. For example, John III’s predecessor was Theodore I Laskaris, who was the husband of Anna Angelina and the son-in-law of Alexios III Angelos. However, he passed on the Laskaris name instead of the disgraced Angelos name, in which case it should be a game over for the Angelos player. In short, you need a decision to allow you to play a non-dynastic heir as long as he is married matrilineally to your daughter in the Byzantine context.
Those would be examples of matrilineal marriages, right?

Let's call it for what it is; the concept of dynasty, as understood by the game, modelled on Western Feudal ideas, doesn't translate well in Byzantium, where the name carries prestige, not blood, and the name will change if circumstances are right.

As I said before, Byzantium needs a ton of tweating if Paradox wants the Byzantine experience to be not only genuine, but also interesting.

I understand that, but CK is built on the concept of playing dynasties. So if you make your son-in-law your heir and he isn't of your dynasty it's game over. So adopting him into your dynasty wuold be how it could work within the limitations of the game.
This game is not 100% historical for any part country on the map, so even the Byzantine Empire must contend with abstracting some things for the sake of gameplay.
They could make it so that if you adopt a son-in-law he changes to your dynasty, but automatically creates a new cadet branch with only him as a member, with the coat-ot-arms and name being a combination of your and his original dynasty.

Reactions:
Those would be examples of matrilineal marriages, right?

Let's call it for what it is; the concept of dynasty, as understood by the game, modelled on Western Feudal ideas, doesn't translate well in Byzantium, where the name carries prestige, not blood, and the name will change if circumstances are right.

As I said before, Byzantium needs a ton of tweating if Paradox wants the Byzantine experience to be not only genuine, but also interesting.
I mean, matrilineal marriages are a game construct. You can’t really describe either of the marriages I pointed out as matrilineal marriages, because the concept of it didn’t exist. What usually happened in Byzantine society is that the child would take the name of his most prestigious line. It was, however, ultimately dependent on how the child chose to style himself in later life.

Taking the aforementioned example, a general named Theodore Komnenos Laskaris married Anna Angelina, a daughter of Emperor Alexios III Angelos. Since Alexios had no sons, Theodore eventually became his expected successor (heir is an alien concept in Byzantium). He eventually became known to posterity as Theodore I Laskaris of Nicaea. The children of Theodore and Anna were styled as “Komnenos Laskaris”, with mentions to their Angelid ancestry being rare (most likely because the family was disgraced and because the Angelos family was competing with the Laskaris family for hegemony over the Byzantine successor states after the Fourth Crusade).

A generation later, Theodore I’s eldest daughter, who went by the name of Eirene Komnene Laskarina, eventually married the general John Doukas Vatatzes. Despite being a Vatatzes by patrilineal descent, John almost never went by that name, usually signing as just John Doukas instead. This is because Doukas had been an imperial dynasty, so John wanted to emphasize his matrilineal descent from the Doukas family. He eventually succeeded Theodore I and reigned as John III Doukas of Nicaea. He remained emperor even after his Laskarid wife retreated to a monastery and died prematurely.

Fast forward another generation and you have the child of John III Doukas Vatatzes and Eirene Komnene Laskarina, who would become Emperor Theodore II. In adult life, Theodore II was styled as “Theodore Doukas Laskaris” or simply “Theodore II Laskaris” (in sources “the second Theodore of the Laskarids”). He ditched his mother’s Komnenos line, but adopted the Laskaris name as his principal dynastic name, while also keeping Doukas as his middle family name. Theodore I, John III and Theodore II are all considered to have been part of the Laskarid dynasty.

Family tree for easier comprehension (dominant family name boldened):

- Emperor Alexios III Angelos
-- Anna Angelina, m. Emperor Theodore I Komnenos Laskaris
--- Eirene Komnene Laskarina, m. Emperor John III Doukas Vatatzes
---- Emperor Theodore II Doukas Laskaris

This type of arrangement also happened as soon as the 11th century and in non-imperial contexts. For example, Caesar Nikephoros Melissenos, a powerful general and governor of Thessalonica, married a sister of Alexios I Komnenos. All of his children preferred the style of Komnenos over Melissenos, because Komnenos was the more prestigious name as it was the ruling dynasty.
I understand that, but CK is built on the concept of playing dynasties. So if you make your son-in-law your heir and he isn't of your dynasty it's game over. So adopting him into your dynasty wuold be how it could work within the limitations of the game.
This game is not 100% historical for any part country on the map, so even the Byzantine Empire must contend with abstracting some things for the sake of gameplay.
They could make it so that if you adopt a son-in-law he changes to your dynasty, but automatically creates a new cadet branch with only him as a member, with the coat-ot-arms and name being a combination of your and his original dynasty.
Of course, I’m just musing possibilities to accurately simulate the context were are dealing with. In the HIP mod for CK2 you had a game rule for allowing a non-dynastic successor. The same could be done for CK3, as long as said successor was married matrilineally to a woman of your dynasty and his children were of your dynasty. You would still be playing as your dynasty. His birth family doesn’t matter, only his dynastic affiliation. In the example above, John III Doukas Vatatzes should remain a Doukas Vatatzes, but for gameplay purposes he should be considered a non-dynastic heir (and head) of the House of Laskaris because he effectively led the family during the time period and his son continued the Laskaris name and line as his principal dynastic affiliation.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Matrilineal marriages are not a game construct, I must point out, but they were indeed a later invention. There are several 15th Century examples (in Spain, at least), and they would become more common later on. They are a consequence of impoverished noble families marrying off daughters to rich burghers or rich "new men". The new men get the title and the prestige of the surname, the old noble family gets to be rich again.

It even happened when a noble family, not necessarily new or small, married into a richer, greater one, but one with no surviving heirs. For instance, the poweful House of Cardona was left without any male heirs by 1540 and the heiress, Joana de Cardona, was married off to a royal cadet branch, Alfonso Enríquez de Sogorb, whose children, as per marriage contract (read "matrilineal") would bear the name Cardona, not Enríquez... even if the male line was royal offspring, the prestige of the name Cardona was such that Alfonso agreed to the conditions, and as a reward his children got tens of titles, and the large estates they carried with them.

But sure, it's a later construct, probably popularised after the Black Death decimated the nobility.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Matrilineal marriages are not a game construct, I must point out, but they were indeed a later invention. There are several 15th Century examples (in Spain, at least), and they would become more common later on. They are a consequence of impoverished noble families marrying off daughters to rich burghers or rich "new men". The new men get the title and the prestige of the surname, the old noble family gets to be rich again.

It even happened when a noble family, not necessarily new or small, married into a richer, greater one, but one with no surviving heirs. For instance, the poweful House of Cardona was left without any male heirs by 1540 and the heiress, Joana de Cardona, was married off to a royal cadet branch, Alfonso Enríquez de Sogorb, whose children, as per marriage contract (read "matrilineal") would bear the name Cardona, not Enríquez... even if the male line was royal offspring, the prestige of the name Cardona was such that Alfonso agreed to the conditions, and as a reward his children got tens of titles, and the large estates they carried with them.

But sure, it's a later construct, probably popularised after the Black Death decimated the nobility.
At least for England, it wasn't *that* late an invention.
We had "poor knights" marrying rich heiresses and taking the names and arms of their fathers in law.

It is complicated by arms being somewhat in flux as to what was a *personal*/dynastic coat, and what was a territorial one, but the principle did come up on occasion - although it required special licences from the Crown, and special dispensations, especially where the marriage happened after the death of the heiress's father, and thus the heiress was the ward of either the Crown or another noble.

• 1Like
Reactions: