Why are my fighters losing this battle?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Question

Field Marshal
Jun 11, 2019
1614709043623.png

I'm playing as Iberia and have 2k jet fighters vs Mexico's 400 fighter 3s. You can see their stats in the screenshot, we have nearly the same agility, but i have much higher air attack and speed.

Yet, Mexico is achieving a consistent 8:1 kill ratio. Why?

For some reason, the game thinks that Mexcio's fighters are faster than mine as well. That doesnt make any sense.

You can see that my air detection and efficiency are fine. All air wings are at the trained level. But Mexico is winning. How is that possible?

Im beating them in other air zones, but for some reason im losing in this air zone (Caribbean Sea).

Edit : I think I figured it out, there were naval battles with Mexican carriers happening at the same time, i guess my fighters were being shot down by their carrier fighters, i cant tell if my fighters shot down any carrier aircraft though.

Last edited:
Looking at that screenshot, it doesn't have the right information to tell me if your fighters are losing against enemy planes.

When I run tests on aircraft and doctrines, I usually gather a whole month (or more) of data. This is because the RNG can have a large impact on the outcome of any particular day or sortie in terms of wins and losses. So, I look at that days tab (after 30+ days operating in the region) to get an idea of what the overall trend looks like.

If you have that data, show us and we can take a deeper look at what might be the problem. If this was just one battle and there were no others happening that month, then you may have just had a bad day in the skies and it is no reflection on your planes.

Reactions:
I think I figured it out, there were naval battles with Mexican carriers happening at the same time, i guess my fighters were being shot down by their carrier fighters, i cant tell if my fighters shot down any carrier aircraft though.

Without any battles with carriers happening, the kill ratios are vastly in my favor.

The enemy also appears to have higher detection than you at 82% vs 67%. This means they are more than likely to engage you in individual dogfights of 2 of theirs vs 1 of yours on top of air zone coverage. But mostly the detection which aside from Agility, is king in air combat.

Reactions:
The enemy also appears to have higher detection than you at 82% vs 67%. This means they are more than likely to engage you in individual dogfights of 2 of theirs vs 1 of yours on top of air zone coverage. But mostly the detection which aside from Agility, is king in air combat.

Look again, the side with the higher detection is Iberia with 2k jet fighters. The screenshots shows what appears to be 400 Mexican fighter 3s beating 2k Iberian Jet Fighters with an 8:1 kill ratio.

As I explained, this is because Mexican carrier fighters were not being displayed in the window.

What I dont get is why it says that the Mexican Fighter 3s have a higher speed compared to my Jet fighters....that makes no sense. Is it just a UI bug? @Secret Master

• 1Like
Reactions:
Look again, the side with the higher detection is Iberia with 2k jet fighters. The screenshots shows what appears to be 400 Mexican fighter 3s beating 2k Iberian Jet Fighters with an 8:1 kill ratio.

As I explained, this is because Mexican carrier fighters were not being displayed in the window.

What I dont get is why it says that the Mexican Fighter 3s have a higher speed compared to my Jet fighters....that makes no sense. Is it just a UI bug? @Secret Master
Mouse over the 2k jet fighters to see how many of that 2k are actually jet fighters?

Perhaps, its been a long while since I played so perhaps I am misreading things.

What I dont get is why it says that the Mexican Fighter 3s have a higher speed compared to my Jet fighters....that makes no sense. Is it just a UI bug?

Looks that way. I'd want to run the save game myself just to make sure, though. There might be something else I'm not seeing.

Seeing the actual wing compositions lends credence to the idea that there's a UI issue. I can see the actual stats on the planes and the actual planes in use...

...but you mentioned carrier fighters, and carrier planes operating from carriers with no specific mission assigned (just regular carrier operations) do not apply the same air combat mechanics. It's entirely possible that the modifications to plane performance for carrier aircraft battles are bleeding over in some way to the air battle taking place in the region. This might cause the UI to report odd information.

Looks that way. I'd want to run the save game myself just to make sure, though. There might be something else I'm not seeing.

Seeing the actual wing compositions lends credence to the idea that there's a UI issue. I can see the actual stats on the planes and the actual planes in use...

...but you mentioned carrier fighters, and carrier planes operating from carriers with no specific mission assigned (just regular carrier operations) do not apply the same air combat mechanics. It's entirely possible that the modifications to plane performance for carrier aircraft battles are bleeding over in some way to the air battle taking place in the region. This might cause the UI to report odd information.
Well, my fleets were engaged in battle at the time with enemy carrier fleets, so my fighters must have been engaging enemy carrier fighters "off screen" as it were (i know they will disrupt carrier bombers in naval battles even if they do not apepar inside the naval battle itself). I did mod carriers to have larger deck sizes and no carrier power bonus, so the stat bonus shouldnt be applying to their carrier planes though.

I did mod carriers to have larger deck sizes and no carrier power bonus, so the stat bonus shouldnt be applying to their carrier planes though.

Oh, then I really don't know what's going on. :)

Carrier air mechanics are wonky as it is; I can't imagine what they look like interacting with land air mechanics in a modded situation. I wouldn't even know what WAD would look like. :p