• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HotDoggerson

Professional Byzantiboo
85 Badges
Aug 10, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
I picked up For the Glory because it was on sale and it looked like fun. I have a good game going as Muscovy and formed Russia. Sweden declared war on me after taking land from the Golden Horde, I'm guessing it was because my "Badboy" points was at 20~. I had overwhelming numbers, yet I kept losing battles. I send a 30k stack against a 7k Danish stack and got stomped. My morale was at max and I had way more troops deployed, yet I kept losing battles. The year is 1530 and I have mil tech 5, I don't know if that is good or not. Any help is appreciated.

I picked up For the Glory because it was on sale and it looked like fun. I have a good game going as Muscovy and formed Russia. Sweden declared war on me after taking land from the Golden Horde, I'm guessing it was because my "Badboy" points was at 20~. I had overwhelming numbers, yet I kept losing battles. I send a 30k stack against a 7k Danish stack and got stomped. My morale was at max and I had way more troops deployed, yet I kept losing battles. The year is 1530 and I have mil tech 5, I don't know if that is good or not. Any help is appreciated.

The question is not how high your military tech was, but how high your military tech was compared to that of your enemy. Click on the capital of your enemy (e.g. Denmark) to see their technology level.

If you attacked, another question is into what terrain did you attack? Over a river (bad idea)? Over a river into a mountaineous province (worse idea)?
Attacking over a river or into a mountain gives penalties to the attacker or a bonus to the defender.

And what you do not mention at all is if your enemies troops were lead by a General that was better than the one that lead your troops.

Best always to show a screenshot so that most factors can be seen that would lead to a defeat.

However that is no question for techsupport. Losing is not a bug in the game but a learning experience.

Last edited:
Are the Danish troops at tech level 9 yet by any chance? That's the first major improvement in army capability -- it would mean your troops are using swords and spears while the Danes have guns.

Small homogeneous countries tend to advance in technology faster than large conquering empires, but a clever general can often maneuver to victory anyway.

The question is not how high your military tech was, but how high your military tech was compared to that of your enemy. Click on the capital of your enemy (e.g. Denmark) to see their technology level.

If you attacked, another question is into what terrain did you attack? Over a river (bad idea)? Over a river into a mountaineous province (worse idea)?
Attacking over a river or into a mountain gives penalties to the attacker or a bonus to the defender.

And what you do not mention at all is if your enemies troops were lead by a General that was better than the one that lead your troops.

Best always to show a screenshot so that most factors can be seen that would lead to a defeat.

However that is no question for techsupport. Losing is not a bug in the game but a learning experience.

Ahhh, I see my mistake. While I was tech 5, Sweden and Denmark and even my vassal, the Livonian Order, were tech 10. But how can I fix this? I have a save from before the war was declared, Is there any way I can quickly modernize? Thank you both for the responses.
Edit: Oops, I saw that there were similar issues in the techsupport section so I thought that was where it was supposed to go. My bad :(

Ahhh, I see my mistake. While I was tech 5, Sweden and Denmark and even my vassal, the Livonian Order, were tech 10. But how can I fix this? I have a save from before the war was declared, Is there any way I can quickly modernize? Thank you both for the responses.
Edit: Oops, I saw that there were similar issues in the techsupport section so I thought that was where it was supposed to go. My bad :(

My suggestions would be to first read the manual to understand the basics of combat and technology
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/manual.443229/page-2#post-25623876
and how you can change your policies/sliders to better fit what you want to achieve (e.g. if you do not plan to have a navy and overseas colonies you might go full land which strenghtens your armies but weakens your ships).

The speed at which you gain technology levels depends on the number of provinces and their wealth. Having lots of poor, non-culture, non-religion provinces will slow the speed at which you gain technology. Having more Bad Boy points will cause your neighbours to hate you and to be more likely to attack you (so better not declare wars without a casus belli/just cause). Having a religion (in the case of Muscovy/Russia: Orthodox) that few others share will mean that your neighbour bonus to technology is almost nonexistant (you gain a small bonus to your research when you neighbour a state with the same religion as you that is further than you in a technology).

Edit: Some of the old threads about strategies for Muscovy from EU2 might still be helpful, e.g.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ussia-for-the-first-time.121079/#post-2344950

Last edited:
My suggestions would be to first read the manual to understand the basics of combat and technology
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/manual.443229/page-2#post-25623876
and how you can change your policies/sliders to better fit what you want to achieve (e.g. if you do not plan to have a navy and overseas colonies you might go full land which strenghtens your armies but weakens your ships).

The speed at which you gain technology levels depends on the number of provinces and their wealth. Having lots of poor, non-culture, non-religion provinces will slow the speed at which you gain technology. Having more Bad Boy points will cause your neighbours to hate you and to be more likely to attack you (so better not declare wars without a casus belli/just cause). Having a religion (in the case of Muscovy/Russia: Orthodox) that few others share will mean that your neighbour bonus to technology is almost nonexistant (you gain a small bonus to your research when you neighbour a state with the same religion as you that is further than you in a technology).

Edit: Some of the old threads about strategies for Muscovy from EU2 might still be helpful, e.g.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ussia-for-the-first-time.121079/#post-2344950

Thanks, I'll look into it :)