• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bloodsucker

Second Lieutenant
88 Badges
Sep 23, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
I remember hundred years ago when CK was about to be released or slightly after, there was a talk that Paradox bought half-finished (?) game from another dev, that was then finished/fixed and released as CK. Does anyone remember this? Who were the other devs?

I remember hundred years ago when CK was about to be released or slightly after, there was a talk that Paradox bought half-finished (?) game from another dev, that was then finished/fixed and released as CK. Does anyone remember this? Who were the other devs?

As far as i know..

A russian studio (i think more or less one guy whose name i forgot), but when you ask Paradox they say they bought a mess
and basically had to build it up again from ground and finish the game in half a year or so, so for Paradox it has been solely made
in design and code by Doomdark and Johan. That might be true or an exaggeration, i don't know.

Rumours had it the russian was partying heavily (potentially with money he had received) instead of finishing the game.
As well no idea if evil intend spreaded these rumours or if true.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Iirc, the Russian developer was called Snowball something. Maybe Snowball Studios?

Right, that was/is the studio name, yup. Had forgotten about it.
Sergei something..and they even had released their own version of CK in Russia...as far as i recall...
Madness.

There might be introductions and screenshots from the original Russian developers somewhere in the beginning of this forum.

There might be introductions and screenshots from the original Russian developers somewhere in the beginning of this forum.

There are. Sadly all the screenshots are not visible anymore because they are not hosted anymore.

I did find some screens here from what appears to be a beta version: https://worthplaying.com/article/2004/2/29/news/15529/

It would be cool to have some more screenshots from alpha/beta CK1.

What also would be nice is if Johan would write a 'history of CK1 development' post, similar to the one he did for VIC2 recenty.

Last edited:
I would love more stories about the old days, but it always seems to me Paradox pretends Europa engine never existed these days :(

I bet there's so many amazing stuff from early versions of these games and we'll never know :(

sad shep.

• 1Like
Reactions: