Who was the most interesting man in the world ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Exhibit A for Bill Gates:

I rest my case.

I've always found the life of William Makepeace Thackeray more interesting than his books (born in India, travelled widely, tried his hand at loads of stuf), whilst Ataturk's story is not quite "rags to riches" but is pretty close, and again striking.

My nomination is, ultimately Gabriele D'Annunzio; one of the most fascinating (if occasionally distasteful) characters in history. That the Fiume affair even happened just strikes me as, well, bonkers...

Henry VIII. See when you get past the hideous exterior and the myths. There was a decent and a conflicted man behind the King. His actions changed Christendom forever. Some of his history is unbelievable when read.

I'm not sure if he's the most interesting man ever but certainly the most interesting King.

I often wonder if he was ever born to be King or if fate just happened to make it so after all his older brother was meant for the throne. Even his female successors were not intended to sit on the throne.

Last edited:
Henry VIII. See when you get past the hideous exterior and the myths. There was a decent and a conflicted man behind the King. His actions changed Christendom forever. Some of his history is unbelievable when read.

I'm not sure if he's the most interesting man ever but certainly the most interesting King.

I often wonder if he was ever born to be King or if fate just happened to make it so after all his older brother was meant for the throne. Even his female successors were not intended to sit on the throne.

What do you find interesting? He was a rather infantile, incoherent, narcissist boob. Come to think of it, he reminds me of bit of Donald Trump. Vainglorious and fame-craving, pursued pointless highly expensive projects in an effort to become an international celebrity, hopeless at governing, inherited a fortune from his dad but frittered it away and repeatedly drove himself into bankruptcy, stole & put his name on other people's real estate, collected & threw away multiple wives, cheated relentlessly, chose advisers on basis of loyalty, gave them the chop if they didn't perfectly agree with his whims, ripped up constitutions and establishments because he felt like it, oppressive to minorities, had a penchant for gaudiness and gold cloth, and a ghost-written book thrown into the mix. And put on some pounds late in life. :p

What do you find interesting? He was a rather infantile, incoherent, narcissist boob. Come to think of it, he reminds me of bit of Donald Trump. Vainglorious and fame-craving, pursued pointless highly expensive projects in an effort to become an international celebrity, hopeless at governing, inherited a fortune from his dad but frittered it away and repeatedly drove himself into bankruptcy, stole & put his name on other people's real estate, collected & threw away multiple wives, cheated relentlessly, chose advisers on basis of loyalty, gave them the chop if they didn't perfectly agree with his whims, ripped up constitutions and establishments because he felt like it, oppressive to minorities, had a penchant for gaudiness and gold cloth, and a ghost-written book thrown into the mix. And put on some pounds late in life. :p
And how is that not interesting?

Theodore Roosevelt - military leader, politician, dominant figure of American politics for more than a generation. Athlete, naturalist, historian, Noble-prize-winning-diplomat, author. Undoubtedly the best-read and most-intellectual of all of the presidents. Founded the national park service; survived being shot.

And how is that not interesting?

Because it's little different from any overgrown child? Spoiled petulant monarchs are a dime a dozen.

His own chancellors - Wolsey, More and Cromwell - were infinitely more interesting men than the king himself.

The most interesting thing about Henry VIII IMO is how radically his physical and mental states were alleged to have changed after his jousting accident. An interesting monarch for sure, but probably not the most interesting.

repeatedly drove himself into bankruptcy, stole & put his name on other people's real estate

And this was his most defining act I think. He inherited the crown at one of its strongest and most financially independent moments and squandered it to the point that all his successors held a tenuous hand in cap position. In a way, he more than any monarch set the ball rolling for civil war and the sidelining of the monarchy.

The guy who was forced by his pervert god to mutilate his penis ?

Al Berners-Gore.

Obviously it is the dude who invented the Internet.

Please try and use logic and facts people.

Last edited: