• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Raboude

Plus Ultra
82 Badges
Oct 5, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
Dear reader, welcome to my second attempt to create a narrative AAR. While my first attempt "Of Liebaards and Leliaards - a Flanders AAR" failed, I loved the experience of writing about my ongoing game. So with a little more preparation, I'm now proud to present you: "Who is inheriting now?"

First of all, I'm biased. Just look at the flag of my avatar. (hint: Belgium) Terribly biased, given that Burgundy was pretty much all over my country. Even more biased, since we still call ourselves "Burgundian" when it comes to our love for good food and alcohol.

Are we clear? Good. So, now that we have that out of the way, I hope you will still be able to appreciate my effort in producing a credible story, backed with a lot of actual history and, of course, the evolutions of the game. In fact, for every update I will be using a historical, non-ruling character, who will be giving his personal view on what happened. As for my first update, I chose for example Dino Rapondi, an Italian banker and trader in France and the Lower Countries.

Regarding the game itself: I have activated all current DLC's, including Mare Nostrum. I have also modded a little bit, to transform Burgundy into a more historical version of itself, while making an attempt to keep game balance. The very short version: Burgundy starts with PU's over Holland and Brabant, Flanders has been completely annexed. If you read the story, you will understand why ;-)

About the names: I use many of them, so I try to be as consistent as possible. Even if some people are more known with their nickname "the Good", "the Bold" etc., I will focus on dynasty names. Second, I will also focus on how they were spelled in their original language. Therefore, the Burgundian dukes, as long as Burgundian is main culture, will be spelled the French way. Should I form the Netherlands, with Dutch or Flemish as main culture, I will change the spelling as well. Game rules, basicly.

One last thing: if you do appreciate my writing, please consider writing a comment or give my posts a rating. It is so rewarding to write for an interested public.

Mad_meg.jpg

Cover: Dulle Griet, a painting by Pieter Breughel

Index

Prologue part I: The Burgundian Renaissance, by Dino Rapondi (1363-1404)
Prologue part II: The importance of being Fearless, by Jean de Thoisy (1404-1419)
Prologue part III: Grand Duke of the West, by Nicolas Rolin (1419-1444)
Chapter I: Music Maestro! - by Antoine de Croy (1444-1455)
Chapter II: The Burgundian Renaissance, by Tommaso Portinari (1455-1467)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Prologue Part I: The Burgundian Renaissance, by Dino Rapondi

150px-Dinus_rapondi.JPG

Dino Rapondi (Lucca, 1350 - Bruges, 1416) was an Italian banker and trader, located in Bruges. His family owned offices in Paris, Bruges, Antwerp, Avignon, Venice and Montpellier and as head of the family business, Dino was financial advisor to various Dukes in France, amongst them, the Duke of Burgundy.

----------------

Philippe the Bold, they call him. The founder of the mighty house of de Bourgogne – Valois, hereafter “de Bourgogne”, descendant from the even mightier house of Valois. And in the shadow of these mighty houses, the money flows. And when the houses want more might, they become beggars in my bank. Dear reader, I am Dino Rapondi from the city of Lucca, and I will reveal to you many secrets about these mighty houses, because thanks to my trading and banking network between the Lower Countries and the Mediterranean, I have gathered many.

220px-Philippe_II_de_Bourgogne.jpg

A mere fourty years ago, Philippe II* received the Duchy of Burgundy from his father, Jean II de Valois, King of France in 1363. A reward for “bravery” at the battle of Poitiers. Nobles and their battles… In any case, the duchy contained only the territory (province) of Burgundy itself. Yet it proved a good start for a young, ambitious noble. His major gain in territory came because of his marriage to Margareta van Dampierre, only daughter of Lodewijk II van Dampierre, Count of Flanders (including Vlaanderen, Gent and Antwerpen), Artois, Nevers, Rethel and the Free County (Franche Comté) of Burgundy. Even if it was an arranged marriage, Philippe II was said to be happy with it: he engraved his and his bride's initials on pretty much anything. But the happiest of them all, was probably Lodewijk van Dampierre, father of Margareta, who received over 200.000 pounds of Charles V, King of France (and Philippe’s brother), for the hand of his daughter. Of course Charles V borrowed that sum from me. Who else would be able to give him that much? In comparison, when the Duke bought the County of Charolais in 1390, he paid about 60.000 pounds. For once, he actually could pay something himself. So why did Charles V pay borrowed so much for his brother’s marriage? To provide him a suitable match? To increase the territory of the French Crown? Neither. To avoid a marriage of Margareta with Edmund of Langley, a son of the English King Eduard III. One would be surprised how many decisions are taken out of fear for what might happen otherwise.

Battle-poitiers%281356%29.jpg

Battle of Poitiers (miniature of Froissart)

Another matter is the famed Burgundian marital policy. The man has only died recently, and already I hear how “visionary” it was of Philip II to orchestrate his son’s marriage to Margarete von Wittelsbach, to bolster the power of his newly found cadet branch of the house of Valois. One would have it the only purpose of this marriage is to inherit territory in the Lower Countries. Yet, lest it is forgotten, Margarete von Wittelsbach has three healthy brothers of whom the eldest – and heir – married Marguerite de Bourgogne. More than an attempt to increase territory, this is a political alliance between two major players on the political field of the Lower Countries, with chances of inheriting anything being very low. This alliance means, in practice, an almost complete isolation of the Duchy of Brabant, of whom Lodewijk II van Dampierre already had taken the cities of Antwerpen and Mechelen earlier in 1356. The alliance also proved beneficial for France: in case new hostilities would erupt with England, the County of Holland would not invade.

I do understand why one would think so: if there is a place for a marital policy, it would be the Lower Countries. Between 1300 and 1400, over three main succession wars were fought:
-1355-1357: Brabant succession war between Johanna van Reginar (Brabant) against Reinout III van Gelre (Gelre) and Lodewijk van Dampierre (Flanders). While the first was allowed to remain Duchess, both claimants gained territory on Brabant.
-1361-1363: War of the Loonian Succession where Godfried van Dalenbroek (Loon) and Johanna van Reginar (Brabant) fought against the Prince-Bishop of Liege. After Johanna removed her support to the first, the county was successfully annexed by the Prince-Bishopric.
-1371-1379: War of the Guelderian Succession between the daughters of Reinout III van Gelre (Gelre), with one married to Jean de Chatillon (Blois, a county in France) and the other to Wilhelm III von Jülich (a duchy in the Holy Roman Empire). The latter won, gaining the county of Guelre in a personal union.

But the House de Bourgogne won the Duchy of Brabant not by marriage, but by diplomacy. While Duchess Johanna van Reginar had succeeded in keeping her throne, she had remained childless. Her husband, Wenzel I von Luxemburg, had died in 1383. Given both wars with Gelre the past 30 years and the recent marriage of Wilhem III von Jülich into the house of Wittelsbach, she decided to turn to her only neutral neighbor: Philippe II de Bourgogne. While the Duchess was old and had no heirs, an agreement was found: Philippe II managed to have his wife Margareta van Dampierre, cousin to Johanna van Reginar, be proclaimed as her heir. Unfortunately for Philippe II, this caused so much upheaval in Brabant that an alternative solution had to be given. It was found in naming their second son, Antoon de Bourgogne, as heir of the Duchy of Brabant. He does seem fit for the task.

The first son and heir of Burgundy on the other hand, Jean de Bourgogne, is a difficult case. It costed 200.000 pounds to ransom him from the Turks, after the failed Crusade of Nicopolis. 200.000! Can you imagine how much land I could buy with that? It’s more than what the entire duchy contributed to the crusade to start with! If this man ever becomes duke, it will be my ruin.

Battle-Nicopolis-1398.jpg

Battle Of Nicopolis by Jean Froissart

Unfortunately, in 1404, Philippe II de Bourgogne died while travelling in Brabant, a trip intended to secure the inheritance rights of his son Anton. While the nobles had no money to pay for the funeral, they forced the peasants to accept what they had on them. Afterwards it was to me, Dino Rapondi, to transport the body to Dijon. All along the way, churches were decorated in fine black cloth, embroidered with gold, made in Lucca.

-------

*= Even if Philippe was the founder of his house, he was not the first Duke of Burgundy with this name: the first ruled over Burgundy from 1349 until 1361: having no legitimate heirs, the Duchy was returned to the King of France. With him, the first "de Bourgogne" dynasty died out. This first "de Bourgogne" dynasty was a cadet branch of the House of Capet and ruled from 1032 until 1361 over Burgundy. Interesting note: the Valois dynasty itself is a cadet branch of the Capet dynasty. By CK2 rules, all three dynasties (the first and second "de Bourgogne" and "de Valois") would be "Capet".

Last edited:
Prologue Part II: The importance of being fearless, by Jean de Thoisy

Jean de Thoisy (+-1350, unknown - 1433, Lille) was bishop of Tournai and Auxerre and one of the main councillors of the Dukes of Burgundy and when the Burgundians were in control of the Royal Council, of the King of France. As a doctor of the university of Paris, he was involved in many negotiations, but rarely succeeded (which I took as a reason of him being frustrated by his own Duke, even if he continued to support him).

-----

Being fearless is a great trait for a warrior, but a poor one for a ruler. Many times I have warned Duke Jean “the Fearless” about hidden dangers and possible new enemies, but rarely he took notice. If his nickname is positive or negative, I dare not say. Jean I de Bourgogne certainly is a brave man. But even during the Crusade of Nikopolis (1396) where he earned his name, his leadership resulted in a major failure for the Crusade. In fact, at one point during the Crusade, a conflict rose between the commanders. The elder commanders advocated prudency, for they lacked intelligence on the Ottoman army. The younger commanders, mostly French knights, wished to charge the enemy, and accused the others of fearing the enemy. They charged.

800px-John_II%2C_Duke_of_Burgundy.jpg

Jean I "the Fearless" de Bourgogne, painted by Jan Maelwael

When Jean I inherited the Duchy of Burgundy in 1404, the first action was to pay homage to the King of France, Charles VI de Valois. He was well aware his father had succeeded in transferring many of the royal funds to Burgundy during his regency of France, Philippe II had even made use of the royal army in a campaign in Gelre (1388). This was quite different for Jean I however, who saw his influence at court diminished due to not being a close family member and due to Louis I de Valois, Duke of Orléans and brother of King Charles VI de Valois. This was not only a matter of prestige, but also of income: during the reign of Philippe II, the Burgundian state income existed for 59% out of “donations” from the Royal Treasury. In 1406, this income had decreased to a “mere” 24%, the remaining part of the royal treasury flowing to Orléans now.

To increase tensions, his rival Louis I de Valois managed to buy the Duchy of Luxembourg in 1402 and undertook new steps to restart the war with England. Furthermore, steps were taken to raise new taxes. Jean I, who one year after the death of his father, also lost his mother (and inherited the counties of Flanders, Artois, Rethel, Franche Comté), could not let this come to pass for several reasons:
  • The Duchy of Luxemburg in the hands of a rival implicated a serious threat to his ambitions in the Lower Countries
  • Flanders, while being one of the richest and most densely populated regions of Europe, was heavily dependent on the import of wool from England. New hostilities would mean a strangle of the Flemish economy and, in consequence, his own.
  • New royal taxes, impacted a loss of popularity with no economic gain: the Duke would have to collect, the royal treasury would gain. And thus, the Duchy of Orleans.
Jean tried court intrigue, but failed to break the power of his rival in the small council: when Charles VI de Valois was absent (and he was often, due to a mental disease), his brother was almighty. He tried military means, but even the occupation of Paris in 1406 could not decrease the power of his rival, who just raised another army outside of the city. With tensions growing, Jean I saw no other solution, and had his rival murdered on the streets of Paris in 1407. At first, the population was relieved: no one was eager to pay more taxes. But the assassination caused an outrage in the French nobility, who allied under the banner of Bernard VIII d’Armagnac: Jean I finally held the power within the Regent Council, but France had fallen into a civil war.

Assassinat_louis_orleans.jpg

Many claimed the assassination was a crime. Jean himself, true to his name, had admitted the fact and called it a tyrannicide, the murder of a tyrant – relating to the increased taxes and his dominance within the Regent Council - and thus, justified.

Making use of this chaos, the English supported both parties to increase the conflict. The Armagnacs even offered Guyenne and Poitou to the English in 1412 to avoid an English-Burgundian alliance. For Jean I, it was enough to keep the English neutral in order to avoid an embargo; he focused on keeping his grasp on the French crown. His daughter, Marguerite, was married to Louis de Valois, the French crown prince (hereafter “Dauphin”). Later, efforts were made to limit the monarch’s power, but in 1413 the Armagnac party was able to reconquer Paris. Once again, Jean I was forced out of the Regent Council.

In 1415, with Burgundians and Armagnacs still fighting over influence over the Regent Council, the English attacked in Normandy. The French rallied under an army lead by the Armagnacs, causing Jean I to withdraw and to proclaim neutrality. A striking fact was that not even his own brothers followed this neutrality, and joined the French army at Azincourt. It was a massacre. Of the army of 12.000 troops, nearly 6000 were killed, amongst whom a great number of nobles, mostly from the Armagnac side. Among them, both brothers of Jean I, Antoon, Duke of Brabant and Philippe. The Duchy of Brabant remained in the hands of the Burgundian dynasty, since Antoon had a son: Jan IV de Bourgogne. Even if Dauphin Louis did not participate, he died under suspicious circumstances in Paris a few months after the battle. His brother, Jean de Valois, became Dauphin. He as well, looked favorable upon Jean de Bourgogne, but exactly like his brother, he died under suspicious circumstances in 1417.

1920px-Schlacht_von_Azincourt.jpg

A miniature in the Abrégé de la Chronique d'Enguerrand de Monstrelet, depicting the Battle of Azincourt.

The utter defeat of Azincourt was a reason for the French Queen to try to restore union to the French nobility. Unfortunately for her, many Armagnacs saw this as a betrayal. In 1417, her son Charles de Valois was named Dauphin. He sent his mother away, and took the side of the Armagnac party. The Queen on her turn, turned to Burgundy. Outraged by this court intrigue and by the deaths of both former Dauphins – he accused the Armagnacs of poisoning both of them - Jean I resorted to military force once again. With an army, he occupied Paris in 1418, trying to imprison the Dauphin and take control of the Regent Council. Dauphin Charles managed to escaped to Berry, but many Armagnacs, among them Bernard VII d’Armagnac, were killed.

Having removed (once again) his rival, Jean the Fearless started peace negotiations. However, he had pushed his enemies too far. During a personal encounter with the Dauphin, Charles de Valois, to discuss peace terms, tensions rose to such an extent that violence lashed out. The Duke was killed on the spot by Armagnac soldiers, as was his bodyguard. It was my sorrowful duty to bring this news to Philippe III de Bourgogne, his son…

Last edited:
Looks like a promising start :) Like the background information on the House of Burgundy and the HYW :)

I have to admit I normally don't read AARs with much text like yours, but your style of writing is very good.

And you're lucky your AAR has a connection with Flanders, otherwise I would've not forgiven you for ending your previous Flanders AAR ;). But overall, you're doing a very good job!

I have to admit I normally don't read AARs with much text like yours, but your style of writing is very good.

And you're lucky your AAR has a connection with Flanders, otherwise I would've not forgiven you for ending your previous Flanders AAR ;). But overall, you're doing a very good job!

Wow, that is one big compliment! Thank you!
As for Flanders... You'll be surprised how Flemish Burgundy can be ;)

Ah good old Burgundy. I've never once played as them, purely for personal and historical reasons being in prime position to stop one of my favorite and personally biased cultures/emergent nations--The Dutch--but oh so tempting to put the BBB in its place.

Well, I guess I'll see what you do since I'm told the possibilities with them are endless. Of course, there's something inherently funny knowing you're not going to be maneuvering for the inheritance. Plus, I enjoy the style you have set up for this AAR!

Cheers!

Ah good old Burgundy. I've never once played as them, purely for personal and historical reasons being in prime position to stop one of my favorite and personally biased cultures/emergent nations--The Dutch--but oh so tempting to put the BBB in its place.

Well, I guess I'll see what you do since I'm told the possibilities with them are endless. Of course, there's something inherently funny knowing you're not going to be maneuvering for the inheritance. Plus, I enjoy the style you have set up for this AAR!

Cheers!

Being a fan of your Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization, I'm honored you like my style :)

I should set something straight however: The title itself is intended as a wink to the (in my eyes) game-and history breaking event of the Burgundian inheritance, which I fortunately avoid since I'm playing Burgundy myself. To me, it sounded like making a statement to France and Austria.

It is entirely possible I will form the Netherlands. It is also possible I will stick to Burgundy, or even mod an adapted version of the Netherlands into the game, which is more a union of Vlaanderen, Brabant and Holland instead of an extended version of Holland. While I do prefer this last idea, I'm not willing to make a final choice until I get to that point in the game and the narrative.

Being a fan of your Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization, I'm honored you like my style :)

I should set something straight however: The title itself is intended as a wink to the (in my eyes) game-and history breaking event of the Burgundian inheritance, which I fortunately avoid since I'm playing Burgundy myself. To me, it sounded like making a statement to France and Austria.

It is entirely possible I will form the Netherlands. It is also possible I will stick to Burgundy, or even mod an adapted version of the Netherlands into the game, which is more a union of Vlaanderen, Brabant and Holland instead of an extended version of Holland. While I do prefer this last idea, I'm not willing to make a final choice until I get to that point in the game and the narrative.
Aren't you going to be forced to form the Netherlands since the Dutch Revolt events can be really painful. Or is having your capital in a Dutch province enough to prevent that? Anyway, those revolts can become a big problem, even if you have some decent armies.

Prologue Part III: Grand Duke of the West, by Nicolas Rolin

1920px-Jan_van_Eyck_071.jpg

Nicolas Rolin (1376–1462) has made a remarkable career in the Burgundian administration. As a burgher, he managed to grasp the attention of Jean I de Bourgogne, with whom he developed a friendship. Shortly after the death of Jean I, he was named chancellor by Philippe. He would keep this position for 40 years and was largely responsible for the diplomatic successes of his ruler, including the Conference and resulting Treaty of Arras in 1435. Here he is depicted on a paining by Jan van Eyck, made in the same year.

-------

Was it fate, or chance? Already in 1415, the young Philippe III de Bourgogne, only 19 years old, wished to make his mark upon the word by participating to the battle of Azincourt with his uncles. It was against his father’s will, however, and in hindsight the Burgundian dynasty was saved at that point – as the only male heir of Jean I, his death could have implicated grave consequences for the Duchy. But make no mistake. He – did – make his mark upon the world. With a little help.

Raised in Ghent and placed in charge of Flanders and Artois at the age of fifteen, Philippe III was more familiar with his Flemish subjects as his father and grandfather had been. He learned the local language, and was well aware of local customs and habits. But when he learned about the death of his father in 1419, the Lower Countries were the last thing on his mind. He young Duke made a bold move: he cut all ties with the Dauphin of France, Charles de Valois, accusing him of planning and ordering the murder on his father. Understandable, but no easy position for a diplomat to start with, really.

Philip_the_good.jpg

Philippe III de Bourgogne, painted by Rogier van der Weyden in 1450.

Already, "his" remarkable diplomatic skill showed: in 1420. Still in control of Paris, Philippe III had access to the still official French King, Charles VI. He was also on good terms with the French Queen, Elisabeth von Wittelsbach and his father had remained neutral to the English King. Bringing all these parties together in Paris, they created the treaty of Troyes. Dauphin Charles was disinherited for his crimes against the realm – including the murder on Jean I de Bourgogne, Henry V was named heir of the Kingdom of France and married Catherine de Valois, daughter of Charles VI, to seal the alliance. A diplomatic victory over the Dauphin, even if the Armagnac party still supported him in the south of France. Yet in the north of France, the newly made French-Burgundian alliance was almighty and conquered one city after the other.

But even the best plans have obstacles… A mere two years later, both Charles VI and Henry V both suddenly died. While Henry V and Catherine did manage to produce an heir in such short timing, Henry VI of Plantagenet was an infant and a regency over England was proclaimed. When Charles VI died, according to the Treaty of Troyes, it meant that an infant was the new King, not the powerful English monarch. Still, this was only a setback. Charles de Valois was still deprived from any legitimate claim and was unable to beat the mighty Burgundian-English alliance. The English-Burgundian alliance was confirmed again in 1423, with the wedding of English regent John of Lancaster to Anne de Bourgogne, another of Philippe’s many sisters.

The situation continued to slowly turn in the favor of the alliance, until a zealotry French peasant girl convinced half of France that God had told her to support the French dauphin… Utter nonsense. God would never support a murderer! While Jeanne d’Arc didn’t bring an army or particular military genius to the troops of Charles, she did manage to inspire and revitalize his army. The sudden victories inspired the French, and even if she was captured and burned for heresy in 1431, she did manage to organize a coronation for Charles in Reims, greatly enhancing his legitimacy and resolve – and increasing problems for the Duchy of Burgundy, officially still a French vassal and now under threat of a hostile king: Charles VII de Valois.

c947d7480073e303683d1cc00fa6f39e.jpg

The situation in 1415-1435: the "Raid anglais de 1415" is the campaign of Henry V, culminating in the battle of Azincourt. Jeanne d'Arc managed victories in Patay and Orléans, clearing the road to Reims where Charles VII could be crowned. The battles of Castillon and Formigny are of a later date (1453), both were French victories.

In the meantime, the Duchy of Brabant underwent a difficult period. After the death of Antoon de Bourgogne on the battlefield of Azincourt, his son Jan IV de Bourgogne became Duke of Brabant. Like his cousin Philippe, he was well versed in the local language, even joining a chamber of rhetoric*. But active opposition of Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund de Luxembourg and a failed marriage to Jacoba von Wittelsbach, countess of Holland, Zeeland and Hainaut, put the Duchy under heavy pressure. – “failed marriage” is putting it mildly… Jacoba and her husband were at war for who would rule her counties… His premature death, only 23 years old, didn’t help this. His brother Filips de Bourgogne succeeded him, but he didn’t fare much better as his brother and died in 1430. The Duchy of Brabant was, as a consequence, inherited by Philippe III. For all the injustice his father had suffered from French royal heirs dying prematurely, Philippe III now certainly profited from both his cousins dying before reaching 30.

Having already bought the county of Namur in 1429, Philippe made major expansion in the Lower Countries. In 1433, he undertook a military campaign against Jacoba von Wittelsbach, who had divorced his cousin Jan IV in 1422, and forced her to make him heir to the counties of Holland, Zeeland and Henegouwen. When she died in 1436, he took possession of these counties. Another territory gained by Philippe was Luxemburg, which he bought like he bought Namur. By this year, Philippe had obtained a large territory in the Lower Countries, almost without using his army. A compliment for his chancellor, I would say.

In the south, the situation became increasingly difficult. In 1435, Charles VII lay siege to Paris, supported by Brittany and – of course – the Armagnacs. The English called in the assistance of Philippe III, but he was hesitant. New hostilities would endanger his position in the Lower Countries. At the same time, the French King was desperate to win back Paris and implored Burgundy to recall the treaty of Troyes. Thus, the same year, a conference was called in Arras. It was a glorious occasion, honored with the presence of not only French and English representatives, but also the Holy Roman Emperor Sigismund de Luxembourg and the Duke of Savoye Amédée VIII de Savoie in person. Moreover, also the Castilians and Aragonese royals had sent a delegation! The English however, left the conference early, accusing the French of continuing hostilities during the peace talks. Yet a major breakthrough was made with the French. Charles VII de Valois disavowed participation in the murder of Jean I, condemned the act and swore to punish those responsible. Burgundy was granted Picardy and Philippe III was exempted from rendering homage, fealty or service to Charles VII, in return for a reconnaissance of Charles VII as King of France. The French civil war had ended, and the French King managed to reconquer Paris.

Philippe III started to call himself, by right "Grand Duke of the West".

8Kjl2sC.jpg

And at last, a first screenshot, concluding this prologue!

*Chambers of rhetoric were common in the Lower Countries: read on Wikipedia

Last edited:
Reactions:
Aren't you going to be forced to form the Netherlands since the Dutch Revolt events can be really painful. Or is having your capital in a Dutch province enough to prevent that? Anyway, those revolts can become a big problem, even if you have some decent armies.

Good point. I remember something about a cruel 100% autonomy. Well, as I said earlier, my preferred option would be a less "Holland++" Netherlands, which makes far more sense for being a continuation of Burgundy. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, we're far from admin tech 10 and any uprisings.

This looks great already! Good luck with Burgundy :) Make them great again!

Thank you!

Before I forget: does anyone know if there is a console command to change the name of one of your diplomats and merchants? Or how I need to do this in the mod I am using? I would love to have characters I use as narrative POV in the game.
You change the name of merchants and diplomats in a campaign by editing the save game :)

Reactions:
Very nice startup, that was a great piece of background. I'm not well vested in EU IV, but played enough EUIII to follow it. Looking forward to where you will take Burgundy from here.

Also, lovely historical imagery, I think it really brightens thing up between the text and screenshots, keep that up please :)

Reactions:
You change the name of merchants and diplomats in a campaign by editing the save game :)

Done it! Thank you, you made my day :)
Dino Rapondi has been added as a merchant, Nicolas Rolin and Jean de Thoissy as diplomats.

Very nice startup, that was a great piece of background. I'm not well vested in EU IV, but played enough EUIII to follow it. Looking forward to where you will take Burgundy from here.

Also, lovely historical imagery, I think it really brightens thing up between the text and screenshots, keep that up please :)

Thank you! I'll certainly try. Given the abundance of painters in the Lower Countries in these years, it shouldn't be too much of a problem fitting them into the game context. Which reminds me I should write up on Philippe surrounding himself with artists and musicians, before he dies... Ahhh, so many things to tell ^^

I greatly enjoy historybook style AARs. And you're editing the diplomat and merchant names to be appropriate?! I'm gonna love this.