• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Christian D

Captain
4 Badges
Jul 17, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
I've heard conflicting things as to what determines who buys first on the world market. Is it the highest nation in prestige, the highest GP in prestige, the highest nation in score, or the highest GP in score?

I've heard conflicting things as to what determines who buys first on the world market. Is it the highest nation in prestige, the highest GP in prestige, the highest nation in score, or the highest GP in score?

Unless the nation's market is under sphere of other GP, country with highest prestige will be prioritized if i remember correctly. And I can't clearly say whether being GP has an impact since in almost every case GP's prestige value is higher than secondary power or just civilized nation.

Reactions:
Unless the nation's market is under sphere of other GP, country with highest prestige will be prioritized if i remember correctly. And I can't clearly say whether being GP has an impact since in almost every case GP's prestige value is higher than secondary power or just civilized nation.

Thanks for the reply. Does this apply even when two countries are at war, the country with the #1 prestige rating can still buy first from it's enemy's market?

There is no "enemy's markets". In V2 there are 3 markets: local, sphere, and world. Starting at Prestige Rank 1 and going down, purchases are made from the local market, then the sphere market, then the world market. I played a game some time ago when a sphereling had higher prestige than me and was actually buying up my resources before I could. I'm not sure if that's still a feature, but be weary if your Austria is suffering and Bavaria is an industrial juggernaut.

My number 1 add for this game is better markets and trade. Embargoing an enemy nation would be awesome, but sadly is impossible given the current structure. I'll be asking strongly once word of a V3 pops up.

You can semi-embargo by going and occupying all the provinces you don't like! Kills industry, I think RGO's, and if you're in America you even get immigration! :D

its in rank order not prestige

Reactions:
Wow wait a sec, so if a nation has rank 1 from massive industry and military it will buy first? Even if it has, say, 1 prestige?

Wow wait a sec, so if a nation has rank 1 from massive industry and military it will buy first? Even if it has, say, 1 prestige?

yes

its in rank order not prestige
Has it always been like that, or has it changed in a patch?
I seem to distinctly remember that in vanilla V2 (pre HOD and AHD) that it was prestige that mattered, though I might recall it incorrectly.

I seem to distinctly remember that in vanilla V2 (pre HOD and AHD) that it was prestige that mattered, though I might recall it incorrectly.

I think a lot of the confusion is that the game manual simply lies, and many people accepted it as truth for a long time.

My life is a lie. Stupid forum... I'll never believe anything again!

:)

So I guess it´s interesting to build many military units and dreadnoughts, since military is important. Also, another big reason to have good skills at managing industry.

I´d say that it´s certainly better that rank matters, not prestige.

This

Thanks for the official response. It was difficult before trying to figure out why sphere China destroyed my economy, I'm guessing even though it's prestige was low, it's military score had me outclassed in total score.

Does anyone know if POPs in the highest score nation also buy first? Or just factories?

My number 1 add for this game is better markets and trade. Embargoing an enemy nation would be awesome, but sadly is impossible given the current structure. I'll be asking strongly once word of a V3 pops up.

Well that answers most of my questions as for Vicky2. Damn. That would complete the game for me.

If it's rank order, than uncivs will never out buy a GP. China kills your industry because massive artisan POPs screw with supply/demand.

Could you elaborate a little bit? If it's true that I outrank China, I don't see how it should adversely affect me if it is indeed true that the order goes Local -> Sphere -> World where at every stage the higher rank buys first.