• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 4.4.5 War with Cornwall continues - May 926
  • 1 May 926 Dinefwr, County of Dyfed

Knut was getting annoyed. The battle was not going as well as planned. The Cornish were fighting hard and using the hilly terrain to their advantage. They had already beaten back two charges by the Jorvikians. This time Knut was trying to organize a cavalry charge up the small hillside.

Knut was thinking that this war with Cornwall for tribute looked much more promising back in September of 925 when it began. Queen Aouregan was a scared little 14 year old child barely holding onto her throne.Her regent Ricart who was also Steward of Cornwall was mainly concerned with keeping the Queen alive. Knut figured Cornwall would be easy pickings.

The first shock came when a substantial Cornish force marched across Somerset and attacked Gloucester. Ingemar quickly organized an army and met the Cornish and barely defeated them at the Battle of Winchombe on 17 December 925. Instead of feeling south the Cornish fled into the Petty Kingdom of Deheubarth with Ignemar and Knut in pursuit.

RXyLp5f.png

After weeks of chasing the Cornish they finally turned and stood. They had chosen the hilly terrain around Dinefwr and another drawn out battle was begun.

Knut finally got the horsemen organized. He ordered the bowmen to fire at the Cornish. The Cornish hid behind their shields. The Jorvikians were not inflicting casualties on them. The Cornish bowmen responded and now the Jorvikians hid. A few bowmen fell near Knut. Several more volleys followed the same pattern. Knut knew time and morale was running out. He gave orders to the bowmen.

When the bowmen fired the cavalry with Knut leading charged up the hill. The Cornish bowmen were ready to fire on the Jorvikian bowmen. Now they had to change targets. In that moment of hesitation the Jorvikian bowmen fired again. This time a good number of Cornish went down.

They quickly recovered and fired into charging Jorvikians. Knut felt a sharp pain in his left shoulder. He cursed as he looked at the arrow protruding out of this shoulder. There was no time to waste they were almost on the Cornish. A moment later the Jorvikian horse crashed into the Cornish shields and men. The surprise and momentum carried the Jorvikians finally through the Cornish.

A group of Cornish bowmen regrouped and began firing volleys into the Jorvikians. Knut order the cavalry men around him to follow. They charged and the bowmen fired. Knut grunted as an arrow penetrated into his left thigh. In his anger he ran down several bowmen.

The Cornish infantry was regrouping again. However this time they suddenly found Ingemar descending into their flank. The line broke. However, they did not panic and fought a tough withdrawal. As darkness began to fall the sounds of battle faded.

3u0cq7m.png

Knut and Ingemar had the day. However, Knut felt exhausted. It may have been the stress and physical exertion from the battle or being shot twice by arrows the king slumped in the saddle and his head fell forward. One of his squires noticed and stopped him from falling out of the saddle. Several other soldiers helped the king down to the ground. One ran off for the physician.

A few moments later the soldier returned with Ingemar. Ingemar who was also the Court Physician looked over the king.

“He is weary from the battle, “ claimed Ignemar. “Do not worry the arrows are not life threatening and he has lost little blood from them.”

Point to a litter that was nearby Ingemar order, “Take the king to his tent. I will remove the arrows and he will rest. He will be ready for battle tomorrow morning.”

The soldiers did as ordered.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.6 War with Cornwall ends - November 926
  • 3 November 926 Bishopric of St Germans, County of Cornwall

Ricart and Cadarvan and the others assembled in the audience chamber of the Bishop of St Germans looked at Queen Aouregan of Cornwall. Aouregan was now queen in her own right. The regency ended with her sixteenth birthday a month ago. She now wielded all the power in Cornwall.

fTzNCjQ.png

“Our army has performed mighty feats of bravery. They have earned a place among the heroes. But it is time to face the truth. They invaded Jorvik and fought hard in the County of Djuraby at Burton in July but they could not defeat Ingemar. Again they marched on. One more time in early October they bravely faced Ingemar at Morpeth and again they had to retreat. Our once great army is now two hundred souls trapped in far away Northumberland.” She paused to let the truth sink in.

gVtNcma.png
    bNXOble.png

“No one anticipated or expected the Jorvikinas to land in Cornwall as they have done. Our capital and my home, Tintagel fell in July. Sixteen days ago Bodmin was lost. We all hoped Knut would succumb to his wounds but he did not. And now he and his army surround us here. My fellow Cornish lords and people you can hold your heads high. We have fought the tyrant of Jorvik mightingly. He did not win his battles easily. We have nothing to be ashamed of.” Again she paused to let her words be absorbed and understood. She took a deep breath and with all her might she fought back the tears welling up, “I have decided to accept King Knut’s offer to surrender and end this war. He will leave our lands and we will pay him tribute,” her face became hard as stone and she glared off into the distance, “for now.”

W14pECW.png

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.7 War for Æthelwulf's Claim on Hwicee - November 926
  • 8 November 926 Gloucester

Knut had arrived in Gloucester yesterday at dawn and spent the night in the castle of Count Karl. The Count who was also the king’s Chancellor was in Leicester trying to either fabricate a claim or stir up trouble for Queen Ealhswith of Mercia. This morning after eating breakfast Ingemar entered.

“Greetings Lord Ingenmar. Which hat are we wearing this morning?” asked the cheerful king.

“The Court Physician I am afraid, milord,“ responded Ingemar.

“And why would that be my good doctor?”

Ingemar became solemn. “The consumption epidemic that entered Chester last month is spreading. There are many infections in Djuraby and even some cases in Jorvik.” Knut came to attention. “Do not fear milord, your family has relocated to Norfolk. We do not want to take any chances with Alfrið. She may have finally fully recovered from Camp Fever a couple of years ago, she is in no condition to fight another disease. I am also concerned about Lincoln. It suffered heavily during the camp fever plague. There are still many areas of the county where the villages are empty. If the consumption hits there I fear there will be many deaths.”

“Thank you Lord Ingemar for looking after my family,” Knut said meaning every word. “We told Count Swieard of Lincoln to build a hospital but alas he has not and now his people have suffered and perhaps will suffer more.”

Ingemar was quiet and seemingly unsure. “Is there something else?” asked the king.

“Yes milord. Chancellor Sigehelm of Hwicce wishes an audience with you.”

“Do you know what he wants?”

“I assume it is about the current situation in Hwicce.”

“You mean the war?” chuckled Knut.

Ingemar smiled, “Yes the war. Poor King Eanhere must be very disappointed that the man who put him on the throne Earl Eadric of Wiltshire has revolted to put KIng Æthelwulf of Wessex back on the throne of Hwicce in October of last year. Eadric has done well. His army defeated an Hwiccan army lead by Osræd the Monk at Abingdon. He is now besieging Reading. The remains of King Eanhere’s army passed through Gloucester on its way to Worcester.”

“Fine show him in.” ordered Knut.

AzUqvMU.png

Ingemar left and returned with Sigehelm.

Sigehelm bowed, “I bring you greetings and wishes for good health from King Eanhere II of Hwicce.”

Knut replied, “I thank you and King Eanhere. Can I ask the purpose of this visit?”

Sigehelm paused and then answered, “As your Highness is aware King Eanhere has been grievously betrayed by the Earl of Wiltshire. The Earl has become the henchman of that fiend Æthelwulf of Wessex. With the aid of Wessex Eadric has murdered King Eanhere’s loyal subjects and placed the king in a precarious position.”

“How is Æthelwulf supporting Eadric when he is fighting the Surreyan Peasant Revolt and against King Fogartach of Connachta who wants Æthelwulf to pay tribute? It would seem his resources are stretched thin.”

Sigehelm did not miss a beat, “Your Highness would know best how to support a war without appearing to do so.” referring to Knut’s clandestine support of Eanhere during the revolt that put him on the throne.

Knut smiled, “I will concede that. But you still have not told us why you are here.”

Sigehelm cleared his throat and continued, “King Eanhere is reluctantly forced to request your assistance in his struggle against Earl Eanhere.”

Knut turned to Ingemar and knowingly asked, “What would happened if we refused?”

Sigehelm’s heart fell. Ingemar responded, “Not much. However, you may be known as an oathbreaker and someone who could not be trusted. It would make dealing with other kingdoms difficult.”

Mockingly Knut asked, “Do we truly need other kingdoms?”

“I do not believe so, but it is a good Christian thing to honor one’s oaths,” replied Ingemar with a smirk.

Knut turned back to Sigehelm, “Tell King Eanhere that Jorvik will honor its obligations and render aid to Hwicce in their time of need. We are sure that King Eanhere will always remember our friendship.”

Sigehelm was glad that Knut would come to their aid. But somewhere in the back of his mind he kept remembering Cerdic’s remark two years ago when Eanhere became tributary to Knut about making a deal with the Devil himself.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.8 war for Æthelwulf's Claim on Hwicee Death of a Friend - June 927
  • 3 June 927 St Ethelberts, County of Hereford, Petty Kingdom of Mercia

King Knut looked at the body laying on the stretcher before him. He could feel the tears welling up. He knelt on one knee and kissed Ingnemar, General, Court Chaplin, Court Physician, and friend on the forehead. Knut rose and nodded. The stretcher bearers picked up their burden and continued on their way.

AeCUByQ.png

Count Balthere, Marshal of Jorvik, came riding up. He stopped his horse and jumped off. He hurried over to Knut. Out of breath Balthere asked, “Is it true? Ingemar?”

“I am afraid so,” replied Knut sadly. “He became separated from the troops during the last charge. He was cut off and trying to fight his way back when he was surrounded and struck down by a host of the enemy.”

Balthere responded, “This was a costly victory today. We almost captured Count Eadric but he managed to slip past the cavalry. He was last seen fleeing toward Gwent. Best guess is he will make his way to the coast and take a ship to Somerset and then make his way to Wiltshire.”

L8mrx1q.png

Knut was displeased, “This whole war has been far too costly. King Eanhere’s inept generals lost Reading within weeks of us entering the war. Ingemar had to fight his way across Oxford. He defeated Eadric at Buckingham and we lost another commander, Bishop Steinn of Elmham.”

“We did capture General Lubartas, “said Balthere trying to interject something positive.

OPsT9Xh.png

“Not a fair exchange,” responded Knut, “We then had send a portion of our army to Cornwall and rout Eadric’s army at St. Germans in March. A month later we freed Reading and thought we could bring the war to Wiltshire.”

Knut kicked a stone that was at his feet, “But no Eadric managed to move quicker and again Eanhere and his general bungled an opportunity and we found ourselves here in this godforsaken field.”

“Marshal, get this army organized. I want to be on the road as soon as possible and get to Wiltshire before that coward Eadric. I want Eadric captured alive so I can personally rip his heart out.”

Balthere saluted and headed off issuing orders.

Knut stood watching the sunset lost in thought. After a few moments he headed off toward his tent dreaming of revenge.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.9 End of War for Æthelwulf's Claim on Hwicee - November 927
  • 15 November 927 near Bishopric of Ramsbury, County of Wiltshire

King Eanhere and Earl Eadric approached each other on the road leading to Ramsbury under a flag of truce. When they were close enough to hear each other with out yelling they stopped.

ovyV28g.png
    LZvXhnk.png

Eadric looked tired and was covered in dirt. His once proud armor was dented and scratched. He looked like he had not slept in days. King Eanhere on the other was immaculate looking. The early morning sun seemed to glisten off his armor. He was well cleaned and feed.

Eadric began the conversation, “What do you wish to discuss?”

King Eanhere responded, “Your surrender.”

Eadric began to leave. Eanhere called to him, “where are you going? Back to your army? How many men do you have 300, 400? Knut has over 8,000 heading this way. I have at least 1,500 here with more coming. You will never reach Ramsbury. You will be crushed. I am the anvil and Knut is the hammer. Your little attack into Oxford ended badly with you defeated. You have lost Wilton a week ago. What is left?”

6WE703S.png

Eadric stopped and turned. Eanhere spoke the truth although he did not know how small Eadric’s army truly was. He had only 200 men who could actually fight. Reaching Ramsbury could give him maybe 600 or 700. He was truly out of options.

Eanhere continued, “If Knut catches you, you are dead. Lord knows what tortures he will have for you before you die.”

Eadric slumped in the saddle. In a weak defeated voice he asked, “What is your proposal?”

Eanhere smiled, “Surrender to me here and now. You will go to my dungeons in Reading. They are far better than the ones in Jorvik. You will denounce Æthelwulf. You will live to see your child born. I know of your wife’s pregnancy. After my father’s death in May I am also now Duke of Northumbria. I have far more resources now than I did when this all started.”

Eadric sighed. This was not a great offer but it was better than anything Knut would give him. With Knut there was also the risk of him seizing Eadric’s wife. Eadric made his decision. He slowly withdrew his sword and threw on the ground before Eanhere’s horse. Eanhere’s guards immediately rode up and seized Eadric.

bo9ynpg.png

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.10 Family - November 927
  • 18 November 927 King Knut’s Camp on the road to Ramsbury

Knut was in a full rage. Bishop Cynehelm of Tyningham, Chancellor of Hwicce had just left the tent after informing Knut that Eadric had surrendered and was now King Eanhere’s prisoner.

“Three days ago! Can you believe the gall of that useless Hwiccian. Eanhere did this on purpose so he could have his revenge on Eadric and deny me my revenge,” the King ranted.

Queen Clorinda who was visiting her husband to discuss matters she needed to as Spymaster spoke, “Do not fret over this. This annoying war is over and done with. We have other plans.”

pQb3KPV.png

“Easy for you to say. Ingemar was not your friend,” snapped Knut.

Clorinda glared at him, “You forget what I owed Ingemar. He brought my daughter back from the edge of death. I could never repay him for that.” She continued, “with Ingemar gone I truly fear for our son Sigfrið since he has come down with consumption in June. I am not sure the new Court Physician, Godi Hrörekr of Halton, is capable of curing him.”

bR2ynAk.png

mFvJ6VU.png

Clorinda struck a chord with Knut. He was deeply worried about his only heir and the fate of the kingdom he had worked so hard to build.

Clorinda continued, “Because of this war we could not attend the wedding of Gurli to Duke Elek of Ungvar in May and I could not console Hafrid when her husband KIng Ludwig died in battle against Ofieg of Sölvi’s Host in June.”

6BFKNjg.png
    es5khqu.png

Knut stood silent taking several long deep breaths.

Clorinda continued, “Someday you will have your chance for vengeance against Edric. I promise you and you know I have ways to make it true.”

Knut smiled. He truly had a masterful Spymaster.

Seeing her husband calming down Clorinda returned to her report. “As I was saying you are the most powerful lord of this island. Now we need to look across the Irish Sea. The time to strike Ulaidh is very close….”

Last edited:
    • 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.11 Epidemic and Turmoil - February 928
  • 18 February 928 Chester

Mayor Tryggve of Macclesfield along with several other members of the city council and city guards were brought into the audience chamber in chains. They were brought before the king’s dias and roughly made to kneel before the king.

FO04qsH.png

Knut looked at them in disgust. “What do you have to say for yourselves?”

Knut scanned each man and looked at them hard. Finally his gaze fell on Tryggve. Once Tryggve realized the king was waiting for an answer the mayor spoke, “We were doing what God told us to do to rid our city of the disease that is devastating our city by removing the Jews who brought the plague to our lands..”

Knut knew that the consumption epidemic was raging through Mercia and most of Jorvik. Only Norfolk, Suffolk, Gloucester, and Northumberland had been spared so far. He also knew that people were blaming anyone and everything for the illness. The Jews were just an easy target. Knut while wary of the Jews realized that they and their businesses and trading were essential to the economy of the kingdom. Knut had grand plans and those plans needed gold. He was willing to forgive many things to keep the treasury healthy and growing.

“And who told you that removing the Jews would end the plague?” asked Knut.

“God, “ Tyrggve boldly replied.

“And how did Our Lord do that?” inquired the king.

“Through his priest and through the Holy Father in Rome.”

NdWCacj.png

“Pope Victor III meddling in my kingdom again, “ Knut mumbled under his breath. Knut shot a glance at Court Chaplain Bishop Halsten of Burton. The king continued looking at Halsten and asked, “Did I not decree that the Jews in the kingdom were not to be harmed and under the protection of the the Count of Chester, who is the Jarl of Lancaster, and also the KIng of Jorvik?”

Halsten squirmed a little. He had been slow in getting the message out to the parishes in the County of Chester. At first he was going to have the proclamation read in the churches, but decided that it would carry more weight if he read in the larger parishes and cities. However, he had been unexpectedly delayed a few times by some of the maidens he met along the way. Knut was well aware of what happened. Halsten had not earned the title the Wicked for no reason. Knut just wanted to make sure Halsten knew the king was aware of the situation.

GqdeJAy.png

Tryggve unexpectedly spoke, “We heard the proclamation when it was read by Bishop Halsten. But after the Bishop departed the monsinger told us that since Bishop Halsten was such a wicked person he could not speak for God.”

Knut almost burst out laughing and there were a few chuckles throughout the chamber.

Knut then became deathly serious, “So you took it upon yourselves to defy my decree and round up the Jews of Macclesfield.”

ia6Ry2w.png

“We were following God’s commands through the monsinger.”

“And where is this monsinger?” asked the king mockingly.

“We do not know he disappeared the day the soldiers arrived,” replied Tyrggve. Knut knew knew where the monsinger was. His body was feeding the creatures of one of the bogs east of the castle.

“In my kingdom, my laws and decrees are obeyed not the orders of a monsinger pretending to have orders from the Pope.” Knut looked at Halsten and asked, “Bishop Halsten did we ever receive any suggestions from His Holiness regarding the Jews and their connection to the consumption illness?”

Halsten’s mouth went dry. He had rehearsed his response and repeated it. “No my King we did not, “ lied Halsten.

Knut then turned to the group of prisoners. “You have all been found guilty of disobeying your liege and king. All those commanders of the city guard who participated in the round up will have their right hands cut off. Those of the city council who defied my orders will be blinded in one eye. And last Mayor Tryggve you will have your tongue cut out so that you may never utter orders that defy my wishes.”

The prisoners stood in shock. A few whimpered. “Remove them,” ordered Knut.

In a final act of defiance Tyrggve shouted, “You will be punished for sins and not..” A guard smashed the butt of his spear into the side of Tryggve’s head. The Mayor collapsed on the floor.

Knut walked over to him. A guard forced Tryggve unto his knees. “For that my dear Mayor, you will never sire any offspring.”

Tryggve’e eyes widened. He kept screaming, “No” as the guards drug him away.

Knut then stormed out of the chamber. He had a war to plan.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.12 Illness, Hafrid Remarried, War with Ulaidh - October 928
  • 23 October 928 Jorvik

King Knut was finally well enough to travel. He mounted his horse at the front of the column as it left Jorvik. Queen Clorinda joined him. She would ride as far as the border with Westmoreland. She smiled. Count Halfdan of Westmoreland was screaming for help. The Ulaidhians were in his lands and causing havoc. According to him he was helpless to do anything. Having lost the trust of his levies years ago she could see that being true. Also he probably secretly invited the Ulaidhians and then angered them and they were acting accordingly.

Clorinda tried to brighten the mood, “I received a letter from Halfrid. She says her marriage to Duke Milman of Slavonia is going well. She feels truly happy again. Milman has five children from his previous two wives.”

Knut cocked an eyebrow. Clorinda continue, “They died of illness. They were not good Nordic stock.” Knut smiled. Clorinda was glad to see do so. “The youngest daughter is 5 and Halfrid thinks she is precious.”

iNpaUhI.png
    O9kiL19.png

Knut was happy for his first born, “That is good.”

They rode silently for a while and then Knut turned to his queen, “Are you sure that this war was a good idea?”

“Yes my King it is,” responded Clorinda. “Through making Ulaidh tributary it will give you a foothold and gateway into Ireland.”

“Sometimes I feel that God is punishing me,” said Knut. “I should have listened when the fever came on in early June. Instead on the 16th I go and declare war on Chief Cathalán of Ulaidh to make him pay tribute. A week later I am experiencing chest pains and coughing constantly. Then I start coughing up blood and by August I am suffering from the same ailment that our son has been suffering from. This damn consumption.”

bdzim96.png

“You are better now thanks to Godi Hrörekr and so is our son,” offered Clorinda. She knew, however that Knut was still having bouts of coughing and weakness.

“Am I?”

Concern crossed Clorinda’s face. “If you are not well enough you do not have to go. No one will think less of you. Count Balthere or Count Karl can conduct the war.”

Knut took a deep breath, “That is where you are wrong. I must lead. I have been away for too long. Chief Cathalán has been able to use my absence and illness against me. While I laid in bed he called King Maredudd of Gwynedd into the war and marched across Scotland, Northumbria, and Cumberland.

LYCZ4Wy.png

He is now entrenched in Westmoreland. I am sure Halfdan had something to do with that. Lucky for us Halfdan’s temper probably got the better of him and because of it Chief Cathalán is on a rampage. But Halfdan uses that to point out my weaknesses and tries to regain the power he lost among the lords. The lords have not done much other than make sure Chief Cathalán cannot go further because they fear if I die and Sigfrið dies they will be left with Haldan as king. They will need their levies to defend against Halfdan.”

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.13 End of War with Ulaidh - February 929
  • 24 February 929 near Radnor, County of Powys, Petty Kingdom of Gwynedd

King Knut waited in his tent. He was very tired from the war and from the consumption ravaging his body. A half an hour ago he had a tough coughing spell. He did not cough up any blood this time so he took that as a good sign.

Count Balthere of Cumberland was with him. “As wars go this was has been straightforward and relatively easy once we committed to it.”

Knut responded, “Yes, it appears Clorinda was correct in going after Chief Cathalán.”

Balthere agreed, “Yes she was right. The only snake in the ointment was Maredudd joining Cathalán. But even that was not much of a problem.” Balthere continued, “from the moment back in November when you defeated the Ulaidhians at Lowther and we captured their commander Cuilde mac Cuilde we had them. Even I was surprised when the Ulaidh tribal settlement surrendered 10 days later.”

ixDaSPI.png

“You are correct, Marshal,” replied Knut. “The battle at Caernarfon last month was the only true battle and that was only because we faced the forces of Ulaidh and Gwynedd. Capturing Myrddin ap Maredudd, their commander and son of King Maredudd has given us great leverage. Bringing the war to Gwynedd has also helped to weaken them.”

XSbiv4z.png

Balthere nodded in agreement.

A few moments later Count Karl of Gloucester entered.

“Chief Cathalán and King Maredudd have accepted the terms for surrender,” said Karl smiling. “You are now Suzerain of Ulaidh. I have the signed documents.”

j2pmUlP.png

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.14 War with Mercia - July 931
  • 14 July 931 Halton, County of Chester

Knut sat in his tent. He was tired from the day of battle and the consumption eating at his body. He had not had any coughing spells in about a week.

Godi Hrörekr of Halton, the Court Physician finished his examination, “You are doing much better Your Highness. You have been responding well to the treatments. Soon you will be free of this sickness just as your son is.” Sigfrið had recovered from his bout of consumption last spring.

“Is there anything else you need of me milord?”

"No good doctor, you may leave.”

Godi left the tent.

Count Balthere who had been standing in the shadows now approached. “So how much do you trust him?”

“I trust him as far as I can kick him,” replied the King.

“He did pull Sigfrið through,” replied Balthere.

“I am not sure how much of that was skill or just dumb luck,” retorted Knut. “Look at what he did for Clorinda. She has been gone since the end of December.”

“That was the Slow Fever that killed Clorinda not the consumption. She came across the disease in her travels as Spymaster”, stated Balthere.

“That changes little. She is not here now nor was she there when we declared the Conquest of Mercia in February of this year,” said Knut sadly longing for his wife and greatest advisor.

“What is the condition of the army?” asked Knut.

“Good, they are tired. It was a hard fought battle. We lost about a 1200 out of the 8200 we started the day with.”

“How about the Mercians?”

“I estimate that Bishop Eanhere of St Albans lost well over half of the 6000 he brought with him. What is left of his army is fleeing toward Shropshire. They were much more disciplined than in the past.” answered Balthere.

KAZmepE.png

“That would be Ealhswith’s husband and Marshal, the Byzantine Basileios’ doing. You cannot be the son of the Emperor of the Eastern Empire and not learn something,” replied Knut.

EVu5bMk.png
    D0r2hAy.png

“Too bad for us he was not elected Emperor when his father died and would be concerned more with the Empire than Mercia.”

“Yes but he is here now guiding Ealhswith. I knew the Mercians would not be weak as they were the last time we faced them. That is why I called Hwicce, Cornwall, and Ulaidh into this war. I wanted every advantage I could gain,” said Knut.

“You predicted the Mercians would invade and you were correct. Good thing our spies knew where they would do so.” state Balthere.

“Yes that is why I kept the bulk of our army here in Chester and ordered the Hwiccian Earl Cearl of Clydesdale with a combined army of Jorvikians and Hwiccians to invade Wiltshire, “continued Knut.

“After Ceal defeated the Mercians at Tamworth in April he is now besieging Tamworth,” added Balthere.

fOjrMKQ.png
    IoS57KS.png

“We will pursue the Mercian army wherever it flees and destroy it. Once the army is gone it will only be a matter of a few sieges before Ealhswith will be forced to surrender.”

“Yes, milord,” replied Balthere.

“Good, I would like to ge the pursuit underway. I want to break camp in the morning, “ ordered Knut.

Balthere saluted, “It will be as you wish.” He then turned and left.

Knut was pleased with how the war was progressing.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.15 War with Mercia continues - November 931
  • 16 November 931 Bishopric of Llanelwy, County of Perfeddwlad, Petty Kingdom of Mercia

Knut watched the remains of Bishop Earhere of St Albans army flee from the battlefield. With them thought Knut went any hope for Mercia. After today there was no more Mercian army. All that was left were the garrisons in the fortified towns and cities. Even those would not be enough. Tamworth in Warwick was under siege and Knut had left a portion of his army to besiege Hereford.

ZqUpV84.png
    2ZLbt7U.png

Knut’s watching of the Jorvikians and Hwiccian troops rounding up the Mercian survivors or chasing the ones fleeing the field was interrupted by two of his commanders arriving, Bishop Helgi of Elmham and Bishop Ælfsige of Ramsbury.

He looked at the commanders, “Helgi take your troops and cut off the Mercians trying to flee east toward Chester. Ælfsige I want you and your Hwiccians and Cornish soldiers to prevent any escaping into the Kingdom of Gwynedd. The Mercian army ends today and here.”

The two Bishops saluted and said, “Yes your Highness.” and rode off to follow their orders.

Count Karl of Gloucester approached the king. “The end of a fine campaign, milord.”

Knut nodded, “It was along pursuit since we defeated them at Reading back in October. Bishop Eanhere proved to be very adept at avoiding combat when it was not to his advantage. I fear that if he had orders different from the ones he had ordering him to capture Reading we would have had to chase him across Wessex and Wales. Making a stand at Reading was foolish.”

wuJyr3I.png

Knut paused, “Even today he almost avoided battle. If it had not been for the Jorvikian and Ulaidian troops commanded by Mayor Eadwulf of Bury arriving from Chester cutting Eanhere off from the sea as they did there would not have been a battle today.”

He then turned to Karl, “Once we are done killing or capturing rest of this Mercian army I want to have the army moving back to Hereford and the siege.

Saluating Karl responded, “Yes milord,” and rode off.

Knut was very please. The end of Mercia was at hand.

Last edited:
    • 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.4.16 War with Mercia Ends - February 932
  • 25 February 932 Barony of Warwick

Dawn was breaking as Queen Ealhswith, and her husband and Marshal Prince Basileios of Byzantium walked the parapets. They stopped to observe the waking camp of Jorvikians and Hwiccians surrounding the castle. Soon they would be working at moving the siege lines closer. Ealhswith was trapped.

Tears were welling up as she looked at her husband, “Is this truly the end? Are we lost?”

He held her close, “I see no other way my dear queen. Æthelwulf II of Wessex was our last hope. All others are either too afraid of Knut or just don’t care. Some are trying to figure out ways to ally themselves with him. Æthelwulf was the last hope but now he has gone and gotten himself excommunicated. Your earls would leave you in droves if we allied with him now. In addition he has been tributary to King Fogartach of Connachta for the last ten years”

“Not they are not doing that already. How many have recalled their levies? Countess Eanswith of Northampton, and Countess Æbba of Shropshire through her regent Lady Sæthryth. Even my own barons and mayors are deserting us. I received word today that Baron Onlaf of Southwell recalled his levie,” lamented the queen. She continued, “We came here after Tamworth fell at the beginning of the month. Now we know Hereford was taken two days ago and King Knut and his army is on the march toward Worcester and probably here.”

“Even if you surrender you will still control Bedford, Warwick, Worcester, Leicester and Hereford. You are the lawful countess of those lands. Knut may be able to strip you of the title of Queen of Mercia but he cannot lawfully remove you from your other holdings,” reminded her husband.

“You are correct my husband,” she replied, “Knut may win this round but I will be a thorn in his side so much that he will regret conquering Mercia.”

She paused and looked out to the siege lines., “Now who will take the messages to those bastards?”

“As your Marshal I will,” replied Basileios.

Ealhswith looked at husband and a moment of concern and dread crossed her mind., “That is good. Now let us get this ugliness done and over with.”

V8ACCPr.png

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.5.1 Suffolk Peasant Revolt July 932
  • Chapter 4.5 Knut Lord of the Island

n73fX8m.png

10 July 932 Ipswich, County of Suffolk

Knut sat on the side of the bed trying to catch his breath. He had just gone through another long coughing bout brought on by the consumption he suffered from. Despite his illness his lover Alfrið sat beside him in the bed trying to comfort him. He looked at her and smiled back him. Knut had found solace in the arms of this seventeen year old lover after the loss of his beloved Clorinda. The consumption made it very unlikely that Knut was going to remarry any time soon.Who would want their daughter to marry a king who would not be around for long.

0YbmfqS.png

He had met Alfrið a little over a year ago during the early part of the war with Mercia as his army marched through Chester. When the King first encountered her she was a camp follower. Just another orphan of war who had attached herself to the army for survival. She had been chosen to be a server for the king’s guard’s meals and to clean up afterward. Knut saw her one evening and was instantly infatuated with her. He had her reassigned to wait on him and things progressed from there.

“What troubles you my sweet?” asked Alfrið.

“Being king,” replied Knut. “I am surrounded by plots and those who would steal my throne. Even my own son Sigrið, at age 14 has become ay rival. He meets with Countess Gurli of Dunholm and Count Siweard of Lincoln, both of whom I know plot to make the Council stronger and my powers weaker. All because I disciplined him as a child for reading my letters.”

Another cough came on. Knut wondered if he would ever be rid of the coughing, “Then we have this ugly business with Peasants Revolting here in Suffolk starting at the beginning of May.

M6oXtog.png

Their ragtag army and leader, Hereweard, actually stood and fought us in battle outside these walls six days ago.

E1NPQvZ.png
    XL6qhpl.png

They were crushed and Hereweard was captured. As an example I was forced to execute him.” Alfrið looked pale. “I am sorry if the method made you ill but it had to be chosen to drive the point home that revolting against the king will not be tolerated. Disemboweling someone will make people remember the consequences of rebelling.”

VdkIx7Y.png
    lpzw7Ps.png

Knut continued, “Now raiders from Scandinavia have begun appearing again. Ragnarr of Austisland landed in Perfeddwlad in late June but the local lords were able to drive him out within a month.”

Knut took a few deep breaths and finished his rant, “Now we have this trouble with Countess Æbba of Shrewsbury and her regent Sæthryth scheming with Ealhswith. I am being forced to consider revoking her rights to either Perfeddwlad or Shrewsbury.”

Knut was silent now as Alfrið was massaging his back. She leaned over, “Come my lover let us forget these troubles.” She kissed him and he did forget his troubles for a while.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.5.2 War to Revoke Perfeddwald September 932 -March 933
  • 4 September 932 on the border of Chester and Perfeddwlad

Knut sat on his horse on the side of the road watching his army as it crossed into Perfeddwlad. He turned to Count Karl, his Chancellor. “We will seek out the Countess’ army and destroy it. We will teach Countess Æbba of Shrewsbury and her regent and mother Sæthryth what happens when you align yourself with that troublemaker Ealhswith. They and all the former Mercian lords must be made to understand they owe their fealty to me not their defeated and deposed queen.”

Q0rgku7.png
    w7rX8Oq.png

Karl smirked, “Did you think they would rebel?”

“No I did not. I truly thought they would accept the revocation of Perfeddwlad.”

“Maybe Sæthryth thought being betrothed to Count Halfdan’s bastard son Barid would bring the support of Westmoreland,” responded Karl.

“With the birth of my heir and his reduced status in the eyes of the other lords Halfdan is in no position to help her. Hell, in the last few years Halfdan has been downright helpful. His levies have answered every call, his taxes are on time. Sigrið and his friendship with Countess Gurli of Dunholm and Count Siweard of Lincoln are more of a threat to me now. I might give Sigrið a county and a jarldom so he can feel what it like to have vassals plot against him.”

Karl nodded. “I am off to Warwick. When I return I will have a claim in hand and you can deal with Ealhswith.”

“I am sure you will be successful like you were getting a claim to Isle of Man.”

“That was many years ago when I was a younger man,” chuckled Karl.

The king smile and bid his Chancellor farwell.

16 January 933 Cardiff, County of Glamorgan, Petty Kingdom of Deheubarth

Knut basically fell into the chair in his tent after his squire had removed his armor. He was exhausted.

Bishop Helgi of Elmham, Spymaster and General of Jorvik entered the tent. “Are you not well milord?”

2GUsgML.png

Knut responded with some effort, “I am tried Helgi, very tired.”

“From the battle today?” asked the Bishop.

“The so called battle today was easy. It does not take much effort to slaughter 300 fools who are too stupid to realize their cause is lost.”

i47ryw3.png

“The consumption?”

“No, I have not coughed or had any other symptoms for several weeks now. I am hoping that I am finally done with it,” replied Knut.

The king paused and then took a deep breath, “It is many things. This war which started out well with us crushing the Shrewburians at Llanelwy last September. Then we had to chase them across England before we caught them outside of London in November. That should have been the end but the survivors managed to reform and we gave chase again, putting an end to their army here today.”

dWK2Q8K.png
    dWK2Q8K.png
    C1vehnb.png

Now all that is left is the sieges. I am sure Rhuddlan and Ludlow will fall quickly,” assured Helgi.

“I know they will but that is not the problem.King Æthelwulf II of Wessex and his stupidity in getting himself excommunicated has caused chaos across southern England. It was only a matter of time before someone took up the Pope’s offer and attacked him. Hwicce and Cornwall beat us to the punch. Cornwall in November and Hwicce in December. Now Queen Aouregan of Cornwall has drug us into the Cornish-Wessexian Excommunication War as they are calling it at the end of the year,” said Knut.

“Wessex,” pointed out Helgi, “is a shell of it's former self. Æthelwulf has troubles raising levies. Who wants to fight for an excommunicated lord? He has no money to hire mercenaries.”

“You are correct”, replied Knut, “but as you know never trust a King of Wessex to do what you expect.”

Helgi chuckled and said, “We have done this many times. We plan and we execute the plan as we have done in the past. It is only a matter of time.”

“Yes,” stated Knut, “but time may not be with us. The lords, bishops, and mayors will begin to grumble if their levies are kept away too long. And it hurts the collection of taxes.”

Knut paused. His expression grew sad. “I miss Count Karl.”

“True,” replied a subdued Helgi, “ his death ten days ago while he was in Warwick was a shock. It is hard to believe that he let the stress get to him like that.”

The king rose from his chair and sat on his bed. Helgi felt he could not leave on such a sad note. “Have you had any word from Alfrið?”

“Nothing in a couple of weeks. She was doing very well considering her condition.” Knut and Helgi exchanged knowing smiles.

Then Helgi replied, “the baby should be here is a couple of months.”

“Yes, and I pray for a son. Having only Sigrið as my heirs has caused many sleepless nights,” respond Knut.

“In the morning,” Knut continued, “I want the army ready to move. We need to get to Rhuddlan and finish the siege.”

“Yes, milord,” relied Helgi who then took his leave and departed.

Knut laid down in the bed. Despite his worries sleep came quickly.

1 March 933 Jorvikian Siege Lines around Rhuddlan

Knut stood watching the trebuchets fire their projectiles at the walls of Rhuddlan. Every shot was bringing him closer to taking the castle.

Bishop Helgi walked up next to him. Knut noticed him and said, “You look conflicted.”

Helgi smile, “I just received some news but I am not sure it is good or bad.”

Knut responded, “Well, let’s have it and we’ll see.”

Helgi sighed, “Count Halfdan of Westmoreland died from consumption on the 23rd of February.”

9Czlzod.png

“That is perplexing situation,” responding Knut. His oldest rival was now dead. “So that means his son Ragnarr inherits Westmoreland, and Ingemar gets Northumberland.”

“That is so,” responded Helgi, “Neither have shown signs of being like their father. Ingemar is somewhat of a coward and can be bullied easily. Ragnarr while being ambitious has also been kind and humble. Although he does have a paranoid streak.”

J0zVb7B.png
    kG6UCEB.png

“I guess we will have to see how they act now that their father no longer rules them and they are Counts,” observed Knut.

Knut returned to watching the bombardment and Helgi returned to the command tent.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.5.3 Chester - April 933
  • 13 April 933 Chester

As Knut waited he went through the stack of papers on the table before him. Princess Gurli and Princess Alfrið sat with him. He had left the siege lines around Denbigh, in the County of Perfeddwlad to be with Alfrið when she gave birth to their child.

F43F32Z.png
    Fy2UqGk.png

Godi Hrörekr of Halton, the Court Physician entered the chamber. Knut and the Princess came to attention immediately. “All is going well. The baby will be here soon,” informed Godi.

fHerEkz.png

“It is not here yet?” asked a frustrated Knut. Alfrið his lover had been in labor since early this morning and it was now well past midday.

“I am sorry, milord,” responded the doctor. “Babies come when it is their time. We can do very little to speed that up. I must return just in case I am needed by the midwife.”

Knut nodded and Godi left.

“The baby will be here soon, father. Do not worry,” reassured Gurli.

“Too bad you did have any children with Duke Elek,” stated Alfrið.

Gurli’ face became dark, “That is because those in his court did not want us to have any children. They did not like me. They kept us apart and told me that he was always sick. I know they were slowly poisoning him.”

Knit rolled his eyes. His daughter’s paranoia made living with her at times almost impossible. He also knew Alfrið loved to tease her sister to the point of making her either enraged or sobbing from tears.

“That is enough Alfrið,” Knut ordered. He turned to Gurli, “We have been over this many times Elek was born sickly and just never grew out of it.”

Gurli was still glaring. Alfrið came over and sat down next to her. “I am sorry, Alfrið said hugging her sister perhaps a little to lovingly.

Gurli pushed Alfrið away and screamed as she stood up, “I am not like that. I know how you are and who you like. It is against God’s will.”

Alfrið laughed, “I would never with my sister and besides you are not pretty enough.”

Gurli raised her arm and stepped toward Alfrið .

“Enough, “ roared Knut.

Gurli lowered her arm and walked to the chair on the other side of the room.

Trying to change the subject and trying to redirect her father Alfrið asked, “Father how goes the war with Shrewsbury?”

Knut responded, “Rhuddlan was taken two weeks ago. We are besieging Denbigh, in Perfeddwlad, and Ludlow in Shrewsbury. They both should fall in the next month or two. After they fall I think Countess Æbba of Shrewsbury or should I say her mother Sæthryth will surrender. Then it will be time to deal with King Æthelwulf II of Wessex..”

“Father, is it true that the Pope excommunicated King Æthelwulf because he ate babies during a full moon?” asked Gurli.

“Where did you hear that?” Knut asked although he had a good idea.

“Alfrið told me,” answered Gurli.

Knut turned and glared at Alfrið. Alfrið shrugged her shoulders and said, “Is it my fault she believes everything someone says?”

Knut shot back, “You know she is not as smart as you. I cannot believe how you treat her when all she shows you is kindness.”

“Smart , mumbled Alfrið under breath, there are rocks in the courtyard smarter than her.”

Gurli stood up, “See, father, how she plots against me? She is going to throw rocks at me from courtyard?”

Knut was seriously considering throw both of them in the dungeon but he needed them for marriages. He could not wait until Alfrið was going to marry her betrothed Prince Gilles of Aquitaine. He was thinking I really need to marry Gurli off. No wonder the court at Ungvar set her back after Elek’s death.

A moment Godi returned this time with a smile. “Congratulations, milord you have a daughter.”

Knut tried to hide his disappointment. He had wanted a son with all his heart.

Godi either didn’t see it or choice to ignore it and continued, “Both mother and daughter are well. What name will be given to her?”

Knut responded, “As previously agreed she will known as Alfhildr. You may also inform Council that I acknowledge her as my child.”

Gurli and Alfrið wondered what their father would do about his new daughter’s bastard status. Since the baby was a girl there was no reason to legitimize her. However, Knut would not totally abandon her and he did that by acknowledging that he was her father. “Well it looks like we have another sister, Alfrið,” said Gurli.

ZHcoLSB.png

Godi then interjected, “You may see mother and daughter now if you wish.”

Knut nodded and all four left the room to see the newest member of the family.

NOTE: Princess Alfrið will gain the possessed trait by the time of her marriage. I portrayed her as beginning to show signs in the scene.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.5.4 Ludlow, End of War to Revoke Perfeddwlad - June 933
  • 12 June 933 Ludlow, County of Shrewsbury

Knut and Bishop Helgi sat and waited in the tent that had been hastily erected. It was eerily quiet across the fields. No creaking of the catapults or trebuchets sending their loads toward the city walls. Occasionally the sound of nervous laughter would be caught in the breeze. Men taking a break from war and finding a little time to celebrate. Knut looked at the ruined walls. Very soon perhaps in a week he would be ordering the troops forward to storm the city. Once they were done here they would move on to the next stronghold.

Several riders approached the tent. When they were a hundred yards from the tent they stopped. Two riders continued forward with a flag of truce. When they were close enough Knut could see it was Sæthryth, mother and regent to Countess Æbba of Shrewsbury, and Mayor Ælfmær of Shrewsbury and Chancellor. The riders dismounted and walked under the tent.

Once in front of Knut and Helgi they stopped Mayor Ælfmær spoke, “Good day King Knut and General-Bishop Helg, may I present the Lady Sæthryth. ”

Knut and Helgi exchanged pleasantries with the Shrewburians.

Helgi then asked, “What is you wish to discuss?”

Sæthryth responded, “the end of this useless war.”

Knut answered, “I will have that soon enough.”

“Yes you will, but at what costs. How many men will be lost? How much gold will you spend? I know you need your levies to battle Æthelwulf. Would it be better to attack Æthelwulf with full levies or half ones? Every day the Wessex king grows stronger. Soon he will invade Suffolk or Bedford. The longer you are here the more difficult it will be to vanquish him,” said Sæthryth.

Knut hated the fact that Sæthryth was correct in her assessment. He needed every soldier and piece of gold to deal with Æthelwulf.

Knut then asked, “Where is your daughter the Countess? Should she not be partaking in these talks?”

“She is a girl of 11 and is not wise yet in the ways of the world. As regent and her mother she has full confidence in my judgement and decisions regarding her holdings,” said Sæthryth

This getting interesting thought Knut. “What is it you propose?”

Sæthryth became very formal, “The immediate surrender of Ludlow and all soldiers and garrisons in Perfeddwlad and Shrewsbury. The war is over. You are Count of Perfeddwlad.”

Knut did not let his surprise show., “What does the Countess and you get out of the deal?”

“I ask for just a small favor,” replied Sæthryth.

“And the Countess what is her say in this?” inquired Knut.

Sæthryth responded, “As I said before she is not wise in the ways of the world. This war is lost. It is time to get what one can or lose it all. Æbba can no longer provide for my safety or well being. You will surely strip her of her holding here in Shrewsbury, then where will I be when she flees the kingdom?”

Knut had heard that .Sæthryth was incredibly greedy and spent money like it was going out of style. “So what is this favor?”

Sæthryth smiled, “All that I ask is that you appoint my betrothed to be Count of Perfeddwlad.”

It was Helgi now who spoke, “Barid the bastard son of Count Halfdan of Westmoreland? Are you mad?

Sæthryth responded, “It is true he is the son of Count Halfdan who for many years schemed to remove the good King Knut from his rightful throne. He had been for all intent and purposes disowned by his father. When the Count died Barid got nothing. He is unwelcome in either of his half brothers’ counties. Giving him the County of Perfeddwlad will ensure his loyalty and you will have an ally against Ragnarr and Ingemar.. Without his deal eventually one of his half brothers will deceive him into aiding them in some plot against yourself.”

Knut looked at Helgi. Helgi’s face betrayed his shock and surprise. They stepped back and turned their backs to Sæthryth and Ælfmær.

Knut whispered, “She is good, very good. Her spy network is also impressive. I almost wish she was my Spymaster, but I could never trust her. I would never be sure who she is serving, myself or herself.”

Helgi added, “And ruthless. She would sell her daughter out to preserve her position and benefactor. But I am unsure of Barid.”

“I have been thinking about Barid lately. He is the best of the sons of Halfdan. He would be a formable counter against Ragnarr and Ingemar. Given the correct grooming I am sure he would become an excellent vassal.”

Knut and Helgi returned to the negotiations.

“What of your daughter?” asked Knut.

Sæthryth answered matter factorially, “She would become your prisoner. She rebelled against you”

Brutal thought Knut. “But you are regent.”

“Yes,” replied Sæthryth, “but I voted against rebellion. I tried to convince her that losing one county was better than losing both. The Council out voted me and Æbba went wholeheartedly with them.”

Liar thought Knut. However he felt that he was getting a good deal. “Your proposal is accepted.”

Sæthryth was overjoyed, “When will Biard be named Count.”

“Within a week,” answered Knut.

ozzFSdP.png

Documents would be exchanged later to make everything formal.

The Shrewsburians left and met up with their company waiting for them. Then they all departed. After a few minutes as Knut and Helgi were getting ready to leave Helgi noticed one person remained. Knut send a couple guards to investigate. The guards returned with a young girl whose arms were tied to her body and her hands tied. She was also gagged and crying.

Helgi looked at her and stated, “Countess Æbba.”

All Knut could say was, “brutal.”

The gag and binding were removed. Servants then escorted Æbba away from the tent.

Knut said as they were leaving, “Get word to Count Balthere at Denbigh and let him know the war is over,” ordered

“Yes, milord” replied Helgi.

What Knut did not know but would find out in a few days is that Denbigh had been stormed and taken a few hours ago.
    HtPlvQW.png

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.5.5 Macclesfield, Raiders
  • 10 July 933 near Macclesfield

Knut was furious. Bishop Helgi riding with the king did what he could to stay out of the king’s way. Raiders lead by Haraldr of Orknö had landed in Chester last month. Once again Knut was distracted from engaging in the war against Wessex.

Just then Mayor Klas of Preston rode up to the king. “We have them milord. Count Balthere has cut off their retreat.”

“Good, good,” said the now excited king. He turned to Helgi, “Let’s crush these bastards.”

Helgi nodded and issued orders. The troops picked up the pace.

As nightfall came Knut was in a better mood. The raiders had first tried to run. However, once they realized their escape was cut off they fought. It was not much of a fight against Knut’s highly trained and disciplined troops. The Jorvikians mowed the raiders down. Two thirds of the raiders lay dead or dying on the field. The few that were found alive did not remain so for long.

ULbD5A6.png

Helgi approached Knut, “Butchers work today.”

“Yes, my good bishop, it was,” replied Knut, “But it had to be done.”

“I fear a couple hundred may have escaped into the woods,” said Helgi.

“I thought so,” said Knut. “Take a thousand and shadow them. If the opportunity arises kill some more of them. Do not risk the troops unnecessarily. If some find their way back to their boats we are fine with that. They will carry back with them the story of how raiders are dealt with who land in Jorvikian lands.”

Helgi saluted, “As you wish, milord.”

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.5.6 25 July 933 Bellac, County of La Marche, Kingdom of Aquitaine
  • 25 July 933 Bellac, County of La Marche, Kingdom of Aquitaine

King Knut, Princess Gurli, and Bishop Helgi stood in the pew as the marriage ceremony preceded. For Knut this was very bittersweet. The last time he attended a wedding of one of his children it was for Hafrid to King Ludwig V of East Francia. The marriage did not last long as Ludwig was killed in battle 5 years later. Hafrid remarried to Duke Milman of Salvonia a year later. Knut did not attend the wedding because of a war going on at the time. Later Knut found that he was not even invited. Knut learned that Hafrid had been and still is supporting Count Siweard of Lincoln and his schemes to undermine Knut’s power and increase Council’s power. She had also been encouraging Sigfrið to challenge his father’s policies. She had publicly stated on several occasions that Knut was too cruel to rule without someone checking on him like the Council.

Knut found out about Hafrid’s actions and what he considered betrayal from his Spymaster Bishop Helgi. He also discovered that it had been going on for many, many years and that his beloved wife and excellent Spymaster at the time Queen Clorinda had kept it from him. After Clorinda died Knut found the letters and other documents that told the tale of his first daughter’s actions. Clorinda had hidden the information knowing it could have a profane impact on Knut.

Clorinda thought Knut. It has been too long since she had died. Clorinda had attended Hafrid’s wedding with him and the fact that she was not here to see their daughter getting married saddened him deeply.

Knut tore himself from his thoughts and looked at the royal couple. His daughter Princess Alfrið and Prince Gilles of Aquitaine, son and heir of King Manassès of Aquitaine were exchanging vows. Alfrið and Gillies had been betrothed since Alfrið was 12 years old, five years ago. Knut felt relieved that Alfrið would be out of his castle. But with sadness he realized he was losing one of the last connections to Clorinda.

olhJSC8.png
    CyFo55A.png

The ceremony ended and the assembled dignitaries filed out of the church. The procession made its way to King Manassès’ castle and eventually his banquet hall. A great feast was had.There were the obligatory speeches and toasts. Finally with meal over it was time to mingle.

Knut moved amongst the crowd. He had been hoping that his Aunt Halla, the Queen of West Francia would be present. He did not see her. He did, however, see Count Roubaud of Vermandios, the Chancellor of West Francia. Count Roubaud spotted Knut and made his way over to the king.

BmUk6oJ.png

“Congratulations on having such a lovely daughter, Your Highness. You must be very proud, said Roubaud.

“Thank you Count Roubaud. And how are things in Paris?”

“Things are well. Your Aunt Halla sends her love and regrets that she could not be present. The maladies of old age prevent her from traveling these days. She did ask me to give you this,” replied Roubaud handing Knut a letter.

Knut looked at the letter and recognized Halla’s script. He smiled and began to put the letter in his robes. Roubaud stopped him, “Your grace, I was requested that you read the first part of the letter. I am to return with your answer.”

Knut was now concerned. He nodded and slowly opened the letter.

My dearest Knut,

I hope you are in fine spirits and good health. I know the years have not be kind to you. I still mourn the loss of Clorinda. I fear that soon I will join her. I have had a good life. I have raised one king and one who will be king. You have far exceeded my expectations.

Soon I will go to my final resting place. I worry about my husband, King Baudouin. His court is full of schemers and greedy men who will take advantage of my departure. I have long protected him from them.

I worry about the state of the kingdom. I worry about you and Jorvik. Jorvik and West Francia need one another. We are both surrounded by enemies who will unite to destroy us. I fear with my death the bond between West Francia and Jorvik will be broken.

Therefore I propose that upon my death and after a sufficient mourning period that King Baudouin and your daughter Princess Gurli marry.

Please give Count Roubaud your response as quickly as possible. He knows what is asked in this letter. I fear time is short.

Knut looked up from the letter, his eyes full of tears. He swallowed. Trying not to betray his eminence sorrow, “Count Roubaud, I must first speak with my daughter and I will have the answer for later.”

Roubaud nodded, “I must leave for Paris tomorrow after morning prayers.”

Knut thanked him and put the letter in his robes. He composed himself the best he could and began searching for Gurli.

After a few moments Knut spied Helgi and walked toward him. Helgi took one look at the king and knew something was terribly wrong, “What is it milord?”

Knut replied, “I must speak with you and Gurli. Do you know where she is?”

“I believe is over there,” gestured Helgi turning and pointing across the room. Knut did not see Gurli. But what he saw annoyed him. It was Mayor Andrea of Viterbo, Chancellor of Pope Victor III.

“Ah, King Knut of Jorvik a moment of your time”, said Andrea. Knut and Helgi looked for an escape but soon realized that Andrea had them boxed in.

3ROGa70.png

Knut worked up all the sweetness he could, “Mayor Andrea, what can this humble servant of Christ do for you?”

Andrea announced, “I bring greetings and blessings from Pope Victor III for your daughter and you on this momentous day.”

“Thank His Holiness for his kindness,” said Knut.

Andrea continued, “the Holy Father is very pleased and grateful that you are dealing with that wayward King of Wessex who has sinned so greatly and blasphemed against God.”

“I plan on vanquishing him once I return to Jorvik from the festivities here. My generals are making ready for the invasion of Wessex. Tell your His Holiness that he will not have to concern himself with Wessex very soon,” stated Knut.

“That is very good to hear,” said Andrea.

Knut and Helgi thought the Chancellor was finished and tried to maneuver around him. But Andrea continued, “There are others that the Holy Father is concerned about such as the Fraticelli heretics including King Herbert of Lotharingia. Sultan Yattuy of the Umayyads grows bolder and bolder. He is constantly sending pirates from his ports and raiding Aquitaine. There are also the Muslims of North Africa that see the Umayyads doing this and they think they can do the same. Even King Emelrich of Italy does not heed the Pope’s warnings and makes war on those who defend Christendom.”

Andrea pause. Knut and Helgi knew that Andrea did not give a lecture on recent events for no reason. The king and bishop waited for the other shoe to drop.

Andrea continued, “people such as these should not go on defying the Mother Church. They should be made to feel the wrath of God. They should be made to pay, to have thier ill gotten gains taken, have their cities and towns put to the torch and the spoils divided amongst the faithful.” Andrea looked at Knut, “Were your people not feared once. They came upon unsuspecting shores in your great boats and left with great plunder. The Muslims along the shores of the Mediterranean feared the Jorvikians. Do some in your kingdom still long for those days?” Andrea smiled.

Knut and Helgi were speechless. Andrea then said, “Excuse me your Highness but I see another I must speak with in place of the Holy Father. By your leave I will be on my way.”

Knut gestured that Andrea could leave which he did. Knut and Helgi looked at each other in disbelief.

Helgi then said, “Did I hear him right?”

Knut continued, “the Pope has given us permission, no I should say wants us to raid certain lands.”

Helgi shook his head, “Strange times.”

Knut agreed and then stated, “We must find Gurli.”

Several hours later Knut, Helgi, and Gurli were sitting in the chamber Knut was using during his stay. Gurli handed Knut the letter from Halla, her eyes full of tears.

Gurli spoke, “You want me to go and marry King Baudouin. Is this some kind of plot to get rid of me? I know Chancellor Mayor Knut of Chesterfield has been trying to see me gone for years.” Mayor Knut was looking for a husband for Gurli as a matter of state. Due to her reputation of paranoia, being somewhat dim witted, and her age being 29 suitors were become hard to find. Halla’s proposal offered what might be a last chance.

Knut was getting frustrated. At times Gurli could be very easy to talk to but at others her paranoia would come out. “No one wants to see you go my daughter.”

“Then why did you send me to marry Duke Elek. Ungvar was so far away. And many in his court resented me. They killed the Duke so I would leave,” said Gurli.

Knut responded, “Duke Elek was never healthy. He was born sickly and never grew out of it.”

“No they poisoned him,” insisted Gurli.

“I am sure they did not,” replied Knut. He was struggling for a way to calm her.

“You want to help Halla happy and help her. Halla was very kind and helpful to me. She protected me, raised me, and helped me become a great king. She is in great need now and I think you would be the perfect person to help her,” suggested Knut

Gurli thought for a moment, “Helping others is a great virtue.”

“Yes it is,” said Knut, “and you are the kindest lady in all of Jorvik. Is she not Helgi?”

Yes she is,” replied Helgi, “I remember during the sickness you helped. You helped build the Sick House onto the hospital and when it was finished you continued to care for those there.”

“It is good to be kind,” replied Gurli. She thought for a few moments. “I will do it. I will go to Halla and care for her. I will make her comfortable and lessen her burdens. If she wishes I will marry the King of West Francia.”

The next morning after prayers Knut, Helgi, and Gurli meet Count Roubaud.

“I am accepting the offer,” said Knut

“That is good, Queen Halla will be very pleased,” replied Roubaud.

“My daughter Gurli feels that it is an obligation to travel with to Paris. She will aid in the comfort of Queen Halla and same time meet and learn about King Baudouin, “ said knut

That is excellent. Better than hoped for,” replied Roubaud.

Knut said his farewells to Gurli. She then left with Count Roubaud. After watching Roubaud and Gurli disappear into the crowd, Knut turned to Helgi, “Time to return and crush Wessex, and then who knows maybe plan a raid.

Helgi nodded. It was time to return to war.

• 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.5.7 December 933 Llandaff, County of Glamorgan, Petty Kingdom of Deheubarth
  • 6 December 933 Llandaff, County of Glamorgan, Petty Kingdom of Deheubarth

Knut stood with Bishop Helgi as Earl Hereweald of Surrey was escorted into the command tent. The earl was bloodied and battered the exact opposite of Knut. Knut had stayed out of the battle since the Wessex army totaled only 470. Today was not much of battle with over 7000 Jorvikians engaging the undermanned Wessexians. Those Wessexian soldiers were either dead or captured.

1aJKxwP.png

Knut greeted the earl, “Earl Hereweald you have been an honorable and valiant adversary. Your time, however, has passed.”

The earl bowed his head, “I have failed my king and I am now your prisoner.”

MCAbvNb.png

The earl’s arrogance annoyed Knut, “Did you ever think you had a chance? What was the largest army you fielded?”

Knut looked at Helgi who answered, “A little over 1700 against our 8000 at Waltham in September. You did not fare well as you lost over half your army.”

IDMNcDj.png

Knut continued, “A month later at Southampton you couldn’t even field 800 and you were crushed again. Today the army of Wessex ceases to exist.”

VtEYZyg.png

“King Eanhere of Hwicce has captured Bath and Wells and now Earl Hacon of Essex rebels to place Ælfgar of Northumbria on the throne of Wessex," Helgi added.

“But I kept you busy and away from the kingdom,” replied Hereweald.

“All you have done is prolonged the suffering of the people of Wessex. Did you think someone would come to the aid of an excommunicated king?” stated Knut.

Hereweald glared at Knut. Knut then shouted, “Take this fool from my presence before I have him drawn and quartered.”

Guards quickly removed Hereweald.

“Damn the arrogance of these Wessexians. They looked down not only on us but their Saxon kin,” growled Knut.

Later that night as Knut was readying for bed a messenger arrived. At first the guards were reluctant to allow him to see the king, however, the Captain of the Guard recognized the messenger.

The Captain pulled back the flap of the tent and said, “Pardon the interruption your Highness there is a messenger here to see you.”

At first Knut was going to chastise the Captain but realized it must be important for the Captain to risk punishment to disturb him. Knut replied, “Send him in.”

The messenger entered “Count Roubaud!?” Knut exclaimed and as he did his heart sank.

“Your Highness, King Knut of Jorvik I bring you sad tidings,” said Roubaud.

Knut tried to swallow he knew what was coming. Even though he knew the day would come and he prepared himself for it, now he knew he was not ready.

Roubaud continued, “Your aunt and Queen of West Francia, Halla passed away in her sleep on the 22nd of November.”

Knut had just been kicked in the gut by a warhorse.

Roubaud finished, “As agreed Princess Gurli and King Baudouin were married three days later.”

Knut reached for the table next to his bed. He felt unsteady. Roubaud moved toward Knut and helped steady him. The King mustered up all his pride and dignity, “Thank you Count Roubaud. I give King Baudouin my sympathies and wish him a happy marriage.”

Roubaud nodded. He also knew Knut wanted to be alone, “By your leave.”

Knut then yelled for the Captain, “Make sure the messenger has a good warm bed and is feed if he desires so tonight. In the morning make sure he has a fresh mount and a good breakfast.”

He then turned to Roubaud, “Godspeed.”

Roubaud replied, “Thank you your Grace.” and left the tent with the Captain.

Knut collapsed on the bed. His head fell into his hands and he wept.

2934gOF.png

Last edited:
    • 1Love
    Reactions:
    Chapter 4.5.8 December 934 End of Cornish-Wessexian Excommunication War
  • 13 December 934 Southampton, County of Wessex

Knut, Helgi, and Bishop Ildult of Essex, Marshal of Cornwall were milling around the command tent. A group of men under a flag of truce approached the tent. Two of them entered and exchanged greetings with all in the tent.

FJaKf8D.png

One who was clearly the leader of the group spoke, “I am Mayor Harold of Southampton, and Chancellor of Wessex.”

O5I4GfM.png

Helgi answered, “What is the purpose of your visit?

Harold responded, “You are about to besiege my city. I and many others tire of this war. Our eternal souls are at stake by supporting a king who is no longer in the graces of the Church. We have done our duty to Wessex. We have watched Colchester and Winchester stormed in July. St Swithun fell 9 days ago.”

Helgi asked, “What is it you are proposing?”

Harold responded, “An end to this war.”

“And how does your king feel about this?” asked Ildult.

Harold turned and gestured to the men behind him. Suddenly a man was thrown on the floor in front of the Jorvikians and Cornish. He was dressed in fine clothing but was rather dirty.

Harold then responded, “Ask him yourself. We found him trying to sneak away from the troops as they prepared to defend Southampton. Apparently he was trying to cross the Channel to Breizh.”

Knut stepped forward and looked at the broken man before him as the man stood and fiddled with his clothing. Knut smiled and said, “Æthelwulf Æthelredsson, I guess I should say formerly the King of Wessex.” He then looked at Harold, “the war is over. Helgi and others will handle the fine points of the surrender.”

oYL3PYg.png
    nitE76y.png

Harold bowed, “Thank you, Your Highness.” Harold and his group left.

Ildult looked at Æthelwulf in disgust, “What do we do with this?”

“I do not care. He is your problem. Take him to Queen Aouregan and let her decide his fate,” responded Knut.

Ildult issued some orders and several Cornish guards arrived and took Æthelwulf out of the tent. Ildult turned to Knut and saluted, “By your leave.”

“You may go,” responded Knut.

Helgi then addressed Knut, “You know what this means.”

“Yes,” replied Knut, “By the rules of succession King Eanhere of Hwicce becomes King of Wessex.”

Helgi then said, “By controlling Hwicce, Northumbria, and now Wessex Eanhere can have himself declared King of England.”

Knut smiled, “He still needs to conquer the County of Dorset. Once he does I fully expect him to do so. He will be the king of a minor kingdom of no real importance and this Kingdom of so called England will be tributary to me.”

Helgi laughed some, “Hard to believe that the last two wars ended with vassals selling out their lieges to you.”

“I guess I am popular, “ laughed Knut.

Knut now controlled all of England. All that was left on this island were Scotland and two welsh petty kingdoms for now. Knut loved it when a plan came together.

NSc6Gfe.png

• 1Love
    Reactions: