• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
KABOOM.

The signs were there, but I thought perhaps he might escape it. I've never been on the end of that event before (just instigated it). Can't say I'm sad to see Eadweard go though. He just... didn't have it.

13 years of regency.... ugh. Might be best to pick an adult character who will be prominent in the regency and write their perspective and aim to give them an influence over events. At least in the beginning until the new king is better of age to contribute to the story.

As I was playing Eadweard I knew it was just a matter of time with him. Factions would keep popping up no matter what I did. It was rare to have more vassals in the green than in the red.

As the regency goes I have several characters I can and will focus on. In the early parts of the regency there is quite a bit going on.

I have finally decided to scrape the first scene since I could not make it contribute anything to the overall tale. I have added the few events into the second scene which is now the first. I am working on fleshing out the chapter from the really rough draft I have. Not sure when it will be ready. I hope in a day or two.

@JabberJock14 Did you upgrade to 3.X and if so did you get additional counties/provinces? And how did you handle them? I updated and had about 8 or 10 new counties. I am thinking or formal going with the 3.X patch after Ofeig.

Reactions:
@JabberJock14 Did you upgrade to 3.X and if so did you get additional counties/provinces? And how did you handle them? I updated and had about 8 or 10 new counties. I am thinking or formal going with the 3.X patch after Ofeig.

If you're referring to Holy Fury's map changes, yes, I updated to them. Haven't shown up in my story yet, but I received a few more counties (and everything in them) which required to be handed out. I won't note everyone who gets land, but certain people will be noted. It actually played in well to finally having something for certain characters hanging around court to do. As long as it doesn't break your game early on, I think you should be fine.

Reactions:
If you're referring to Holy Fury's map changes, yes, I updated to them. Haven't shown up in my story yet, but I received a few more counties (and everything in them) which required to be handed out. I won't note everyone who gets land, but certain people will be noted. It actually played in well to finally having something for certain characters hanging around court to do. As long as it doesn't break your game early on, I think you should be fine.

Thanks!

Yes I am referring to the Holy Fury changes. When I first got Holy Fury I updated the game and was able to load my old saved game. I did get a warning message and the first thing I did was save the game in the new format. I am currently in a war so after the war is done will be a good time to update. The new counties can be rewards for services rendered. The downside I see is I will need to occasionally load the old versions when I am writing. @stnylan gave me a suggestion on how to work around it by saving the older version to a different folder but for some reason I can't get the DLC's to load. I am going to review his instructions to see what I missed. Worse case is I will have to unpatch the game when I need to do writing.

Reactions:
Thanks!

Yes I am referring to the Holy Fury changes. When I first got Holy Fury I updated the game and was able to load my old saved game. I did get a warning message and the first thing I did was save the game in the new format. I am currently in a war so after the war is done will be a good time to update. The new counties can be rewards for services rendered. The downside I see is I will need to occasionally load the old versions when I am writing. @stnylan gave me a suggestion on how to work around it by saving the older version to a different folder but for some reason I can't get the DLC's to load. I am going to review his instructions to see what I missed. Worse case is I will have to unpatch the game when I need to do writing.
Just remember to have Steam logged in (leastways, I have had that problem in the past myself)

Reactions:
I just wanted to say I am still working on the first chapter for King Ofeig. It is taking longer than usual as I am having some trouble writing it. I have thrown out two version thus far. I do think that try number is going to be the charm. I would say the first draft is about three quarters done and I hope to finish it and any revisions over the next few days.

Besides the difficulty in writing the tale life threw us a curveball with the sudden change in the health of a family member. Things were uncertain for a time but he is back home now. The health issue truly wrecked my thought process for a few days but all was not lost. I spent some time and updated to version 3.0.1 and played a few years worth of game. Since I am having issues with having a second older version of the game on the computer at the same time in the future you may see a mix of new and old character portraits depending on how and when I screenshotted them.

Reactions:
No worries at all. Take whatever time you need, and I hope your relative makes a good recovery from whatever bad turn he/she has suffered.

Reactions:
Chapter 9.1.1 - September 1029 Jorvik, Jorvik
Chapter 9.1

September 1029
Jorvik, Jorvik

Emrys sat alone at the Council table. His chair was to the right of the large ornate chair that sat empty at the head of table. The chair would remain empty for the next thirteen years until King Ofeig turned 16 and was thus deemed to be of age. Emrys corrected himself, the chair would not be entirely empty for those years. There would be some ceremonial events where Ofeig would sit and watch as an observer with no real power.

zNUrjdt.png

Emrys took a long drink of wine from the goblet before him on the table. Thirteen long years he thought and shook his head. Deep down in his bones he knew he would not see the formal accession of Ofeig Eadweardsson Hvitserk, sixth King of Jorvik. Emrys felt everyone of the almost 70 years of his life. He still bore the lingering effects of his long battle with consumption as at times he felt it difficult to breath. His joints ached from too many years in the saddle or sleeping on cots and the hard-cold ground.

lxkQNMA.png

Staring at the wood grain in the table top Emrys did not notice Ealdmund as he entered the chambers. The spymaster quickly and silently moved across the room until he across from Emrys at the table. While the marshal and regent of Jorvik was lost deep in his thoughts Ealdmund poured himself a goblet of wine. Returning the pitcher to its place on the table startled Emrys out of his contemplations.

ZZ2seqN.png

Embarrassed Ealdmund apologized, “Sorry old friend. Did not mean to give you a start there.”

Emrys looked at Ealdmund and chuckled, “Quite all right.”

Ealdmund grinned, “You seemed to be many leagues from here.”

Emrys returned the grin, “’Thinking of a lad full of youthful enthusiasm and with an innocent view of the world who rode into the camp of King Eilif and swore his fidelity as Count of Glamorgan and offered his sword in the service of the Jorvikian king.”

Ealdmund took a sip of wine, “What happened to that youth?”

The grin disappeared from Emrys’ face, “He grew old.” Emrys took a long drink and continued, “The innocence was lost in the ruins of Anglesey which we now call Abberfraw after the siege. He came face to face with the cruelty of war and the depraved acts of a lunatic ruler.”

He took a long draught of wine, “I was content to remain a commander but that damned fool Duke Anlaufr of Powys had to go and join Countess Maria of Hereford and her revolt. I could not refuse King Rædwald when he offered me the position of marshal.”

Ealdmund smiled, “And so set you on a path to greatness.”

Emrys scowled at Ealdmund, “Greatness, ha. More like tomfoolery.”

Ealdmund chuckled “That is your opinion. Few can boast they made Ulaidh, Tír Eoghain, Connachta, and Scotland tributary to their king. You defeated the English twice.”

Emrys pointed with his finger, “Once, I only defeated the English once. The Scottish did the other time.”

Ealdmund smiled, “Always modest. The Scots would have never done so without your assistance.”

Emrys scoffed and Ealdmund continued, “You brought Oxford, Dyflinn, and Hylmerk into the kingdom. You rid this kingdom of Eadwine the Evil.”

Emrys shook his head, “My reward for all those great deeds. I am now regent to a king I will never see ascend the throne on his own.” He pounded the table with his fist. “I should be home in Cardiff sitting before the hearth in my solar with my hounds readying for the hunt on the morrow.” He looked at Ealdmund with eyes pleading for relief, “Now the fate of our king and our kingdom rests in my hands.”

Knowing how much the responsibilities of regent weighed on Emrys Ealdmund tried to sound reassuring, “They are very capable hands.”

Emrys looked down at his hands, “Perhaps they are but I fear it may not be enough.”

Concern crossed Ealdmund’s face, “What do talk of?”

Emrys looked at Ealdmund. Sadness and remorse filled his eyes, “Ealdmund I am old. I have seen nearly 70 winters. I am tired. While I was cured of the consumption many years ago, I have not recovered from it. I feel it with almost every breath I take.”

Ealdmund felt a lump in his throat developing. He dreaded what may come next as Emrys continued, “I have prepared instructions when the time comes you will be regent.”

Ealdmund’s heart sunk. He knew such a thing was necessary, but he did not what to admit it or to hear it. He hung his head low and nodded.

Emrys took some pity on him, “You know as well as I there is no one else who can do what is required.”

Feeling as if his life had been drained out of him Ealdmund looked at Emrys and replied, “I understand. I do not like it, but I understand.”

Emrys still feeling he needed to justify his decision said, “Þegen Vagn of Warwick, our Steward, has many talents but he is no leader. His health also plays against him as we know he has a cancer that is slowly killing him.” Ealdmund nodded his agreement with Emrys’ assessment of Vagn.

NwWO4vm.png

“Some consider Bjørn a fine Court Chaplin,” continued Emrys, “Perhaps he is but we know he is no man we can trust to oversee the kingdom. His efforts of late are more directed to his own gain particularly his appetite in matters of food and pleasure.”

eJViNCd.png

Ealdmund nodded in agreement again and added, “His past has transgressions have caught up with him as he is now inflicted with the Great Pox.”

Emrys nodded, “Another reason.”

Both men fell silent for a moment until Emrys broke the quiet, “It is too bad the Chancellor Mayor Strula abandoned us and remains locked behind his self-imposed exile in his manor in Macclesfield.”

Ealdmund frowned, “Now we must suffer Rígán as Chancellor.”

eryspWz.png

Emrys nodded, “I too hold reservations regarding him but even you must admit he was the only true choice that would benefit the kingdom. He did rule as regent of Mide when Queen Crístina was held by Rædwald and found favor with Rædwald and Eadweard.”

Ealdmund reluctantly knew Emrys was correct, “The other candidates were truly lacking. Mayor Beorhtfrith of Chesterfield is too like Strula in he rarely leaves his manor and runs back there when there is any sign of trouble. Archbishop Eastmund of St Peters is far too busy being archbishop. Arngrimr is too inexperienced and does not hold any land or titles. The nobles would never support him.”

Emrys nodded, “Many feel Rígán would make a good regent. I do feel the same. We need someone who has experience and knows the ways of this kingdom and those who surround us.” He looked at Ealdmund, “You are I are the last of the old order. We must protect the kingdom.”

Ealdmund sighed, “As much as I do not want it to be so, you are right.”

Emrys grinned, “Then it is settled.”

Both men finished their wine and refilled their goblets.

A short time later Emrys and Ealdmund were joined by the other members of the Council. Each took their place and waited. When Emrys was satisfied he called the meeting to order. Bjørn said a prayer to ask for God’s blessing and guidance.

Emrys looked around the room pausing at each member of the council. He first glanced at Vagn who was indifferent to the old marshal’s gaze. Bjørn cowered under the attention. Rígán glared back at him with defiance in his eyes. Lastly coming to Ealdmund the regent smiled. “Now let us speak of threats to the kingdom,” Emrys gestured toward Ealdmund, “Lord Ealdmund if you please.”

“Countess Katarina of Hereford has been the most vocal of the dissenters. She has long supported increasing the power of Council and raising Prince Sigeberht to the crown. Since the death of Eadweard she has abandoned Sigeberht. Duchess Ealhswith of East Anglia, on the other hand, now feels that Prince Swæfræd should be king.”

Vagn muttered, “A bastard who sows more bastards as king would be our ruin.”

Ealdmund grinned at Vagn, “Neither faction has much support beyond its leader.”

Rígán scoffed, “Why should we trust your opinion. You did not do such a good job with the plot to kill King Eadweard.”

Ealdmund glared at Rígán, “We told Eadweard numerous times to take care. I cannot be held responsible if he did not listen.”

Rígán glared back at Ealdmund, “Perhaps if you had done your job better and presented him with some real evidence of who was plotting against him, he would have believed you.”

Since the day of the assignation Ealdmund had been second guessing himself. He was torturing himself over what he could have done differently. He did not appreciate anyone particularly Rígán reminding him of his failure. With his face becoming red with rage Ealdmund asked, “And what do you infer?”

Knowing he was getting to Ealdmund, Rígán leaned back in his chair and smirked, “Nothing or do you have a guilty conscience?”

Ealdmund grabbed the edge of the table and poised himself to leap up. With venom and rage in his voice he demanded, “Say what you mean.”

With an evil smile knowing he had Ealdmund where he wanted Rígán replied, “Your son Dag and Eadweard had a long running and well-known feud. On more than one occasion he threatened Eadweard. Perhaps he went through with his threat and you have been and are protecting him.”

Cursing Ealdmund jumped out of his seat which crashed to the floor. He reached across the table barely missing grabbing Rígán by the collar. Anticipating Ealdmund’s action Rígán stood and stepped back. Both men began to reach for their swords.

Suddenly the room was filled with a loud thud and the table vibrated. All eyes turned to Emrys who stood with his sword in his hand. He had slammed the hilt of the blade on the table. At that moment the old marshal was the most frightening site in the kingdom. In a voice that demanded compliance he ordered, “Sit down.”

Emrys turned and glared at Rígán standing next to him with eyes full of impending death for him if he did not comply. The color drained from Rígán’s face. He had expected a reaction from Emrys to defend Ealdmund, but he underestimated the ferocity of the reaction. Rígán sat back down in the chair and looked away from Emrys’ face and eyes.

Emrys turned his attention to Ealdmund to only find the spymaster seated. With the help of Bjørn Ealdmund had retrieved his chair. Bjørn rattled by the incident moved away from Ealdmund and sat across from Vagn who returned to his seat next to Rígán.

Noisily Emrys placed the sword on the table before him. He sat down with an audible thud. He looked first at Rígán who kept his eyes forward and then to Ealdmund. Emrys asked, “What do we know of the man Lord Rígán killed on the night of King Eadweard’s death?”

Ealdmund took a long drink of wine from his goblet and a deep breath, “His name was Conall. He was at one time a member of the court of King Malcolm.”

Vagn interrupted, “Scottish then?”

Ealdmund nodded, “He was rumored to be the unacknowledged bastard son of Somerled Mac Crinan who was brother of Duke Douglas of Moray.”

Bjørn uncomfortably asked, “How do you know his name?”

Ealdmund looked around the room and responded, “He was a known brigand for hire.”

Eyebrows were raised around the room. “During the reign of Malcolm, he undertook several commissions that others would not. When Malcolm died, he took his talents to the highest bidder although he did keep close ties with King Uhtred and King Gilchrist’s spymaster, Earl Stephan of Tyrconnell.”

Vagn looked at Rígán and then Ealdmund, “Then the Scottish were involved.”

Ealdmund shook his head, “We have found nothing that says they were. Conall has done work for Eadwine the Evil, King Natfraich of Connachta, Duke Copsige of Lothian, among some others.”

Rígán smirked, “Would you be one of those others? How else would you know his name?”

Ealdmund glared at Rígán, “No. I did consider using him once, but his methods are many times too blunt for my needs.”

Rígán asked, “So you do not know who hired him?”

Ealdmund smirked, “Since you killed him, I could not ask him.”

Emrys chuckled. Undaunted Rígán asked, “What of his band? Have you found them?”

Ealdmund nodded, “We have.”

Getting a little annoyed Rígán asked, “Did you ask them who hired them?”

Ealdmund responded, “We could not.”

Now annoyed Rígán asked, “Could not or would not?”

Knowing he was annoying Rígán and gaining a small measure of revenge, Ealdmund smirked, “Someone ambushed them and killed them.”

Utterly frustrated Rígán mumbled to Vagn, “Convenient.”

Vagn nodded.

Emrys banged his fist on the table just enough to get everyone’s attention. He said, “That is enough on this topic.”

Emrys looked at Ealdmund and nodded. Taking the cue Ealdmund began, “While it is not a direct threat it is still very troublesome. I speak of Countess Mildrith and her war with her liege Jarl Thrucytel of Gwynedd to make his uncle Count Hlothere of Shrewsbury Jarl of Gwynedd. While Jarl Wulfhelm was alive Eadweard was negotiating a white peace and was making progress toward that end. However, Wulfhelm’s death and Strula locking himself in his manor brought those discussions to a halt. Eadweard’s death has reduced chances for a settlement even further.”

With hateful eyes Ealdmund looked directly at Rígán, “The ending of this needless and wasteful war should be a priority of our new Chancellor.”

Rígán squirmed uncomfortably as the eyes of all the counselors suddenly fell upon him. Emrys grinned, “Lord Rígán do you feel that such a task is within your talents? The kingdom truly needs this war to end. It drains men and materials from the kingdom. The lands where it is being fought are being damaged and rendered useless to the kingdom.”

Rígán swallowed the lump in his throat, “Yes I believe I can bring an end to the war that will benefit all.” He paused and took a deep breath, “It will not be easy, I fear. Without Eadweard a large portion of the kingdom’s leverage has been lost.” While no one wanted to admit it openly they all knew Rígán’s words rung true.

He continued, “Militarily Mildrith is winning. Her troops struck a crushing blow on Jar1 Wulfhlem back in July at the Battle of Gloucester and now she lays siege to Aberffraw. She will have little incentive to strike a white peace.”

Kzq0CZl.png

Emrys looked at Ealdmund and then at Rígán. Trying to hide his disappointment and frustration at Rígán’s response he said, “You will try never the less.”

Rígán nodded, “Yes, milord.”

Emrys smiled, “Very good.” He turned to Ealdmund and said, “Lord Ealdmund please continue.”

Ealdmund nodded, “Our most worrisome threat, King Ælfgar of England, is not likely to bother us for some time. Most of his troops are in Iberia aiding King Diogo III of Galicia in his war with Duke Pelaio of Portucale. The Muslim duke fights to reestablish Muslim rule to Asturias de Oviedo through the claim of his spymaster, Adelfonso.”

“Within his own kingdom Ælfgar has problems. There is growing unrest in Sussex. A peasant uprising could break out within the county at any moment. Since the death of his eldest daughter and at the time his heir, Sifflæld a dissatisfaction has arisen regarding his current heir, Humbert, Sifflæld’s only child. The child remains in Lüneburg with his father Anselm Ludolfinger who is the Court Chaplin of Germany. Many English nobles want the boy to reside in Westminster so that he may learn the ways of England. Other lords want nothing to do with a German heir. They pray Ælfgar will have a son by his current queen Cynethryth. Many are placing their support behind Ealdmund, the king’s brother as the true heir until a son is born.”

Vagn chuckled, “That should keep Ælfgar and his Englishmen busy for some time.”

Bjørn nodded, “It is good for us.”

Emrys smiled, “England's troubles are our joy for the present. Even so we still must vigilant and not let our guard down.” He paused and looked around the room and then asked, “What of France? Eadweard went to great lengths to see his sister, Ælfthryth, would be married to King Nicolas III of France.”

Ealdmund took over from where Emrys left off, “The young Nicolas has had a challenger for his crown for the last year. Count Dietrich of Innsbruck has declared a war to press the claim of Helferich Welf.”

Rígán surprised the room by asking a question, “What claim does this Helferich have? I for one have never heard of him.”

Ealdmund replied, “Few have heard of him. He is the brother and a commander for Count Dietrich. His claim appears to come from nothing other than he is a member of the House of Welf.”

Rígán responded, “Innsbruck is vassal to the Duchy of Tyrol and Tyrol is subject to the Kingdom of Bavaria. Does Count Dietrich have any chance or is he receiving aid from King Hermann of Bavaria?”

Ealdmund grinned, “Dietrich has almost no chance even if he is receiving aid from Hermann. There are too many wars ongoing in that area to keep track of, so I doubt any aid would be useful.”

Ealdmund looked at Emrys and said, “There is no true threat to King Nicolas and the eventual marriage to Ælfthryth.”

Astonishingly Bjørn asked the next question, “What of Scotland?”

Ealdmund looked at Bjørn and then Rígán. Ealdmund suspected Bjørn was acting in Rígán’s. He speculated Rígán had bought Bjørn’s loyalty with some promise of power or wealth or both. Ealdmund responded, “There is not much to speak of regarding Scotland. They are not at war within or without. Very little unrest exists within the kingdom. The only problem they have is the measles epidemic in southern Scotland.”

Ealdmund took a drink from his goblet and continued, “Ireland presents some opportunities for us. We cannot do anything about Tír Eoghain as it remains tributary to Ælfgar. Ulaidh stands by itself open for the conquering. Connachta is entangled in a war with Cornwall over making Tanist Muirgius King of Cornwall. King Natfraich and Queen Gwen of Cornwall are at a stalemate. Natfraich occupies Tintagel and Bodmin in Cornwall. Gwen occupies Port Láige and Dún Caiseal in Urmhumhain. Gwen seems to be gaining the upper hand as her troops are trying to retake Tintagel.”

When Ealdmund mentioned opportunities Rígán cocked an eyebrow. Now that Ealdmund was finished he asked, “Lord Spymaster of what opportunities do you speak?”

Boldly Ealdmund replied, “We must show the kingdom is strong even with a boy king. We must exert our power. As it did with Sigfrið, Eilif, and Rædwald before Ireland gives us the best prospect for displaying our might. We can easily make Ulaidh and Connachta tributary.”

Rígán almost laughed, “How will crushing the weak Irish states show anything? There is no challenge, no honor in such an undertaking. The English, the Scots, the Irish, and who knows who else view us as a kingdom and as a regency council that is timid and weak. Yes, we will win against the Irish but what do we gain? I say too little for the effort, a small trickle of gold and a couple thousand troops on a good day. The other lords will not be impressed. They will expect to win.”

Ealdmund glared at Rígán but before he could reply Vagn spoke, “Rígán speaks the truth. If we must go to war it should be against someone whose defeat will make others think twice about crossing us.”

Ealdmund felt deflated. He figured Emrys was with him so any vote would come down to Bjørn. Given Bjørn’s actions previously Ealdmund held little hope. All eyes now fell upon the court chaplain. Ealdmund asked, “What are your feelings?”

Bjørn looked frightened. He tried to make a quick unnoticeable glance at Rígán who sat with his elbows on the table and his hands positioned as if he was praying. Awkwardly Bjørn replied, “I think it is not the time to go to war now.”

Rígán sat back in his chair and took a long drink from his goblet. He placed the goblet back on the table and smugly smiled as he glared at Ealdmund. Ealdmund did not return the glare but looked at Emrys.

Emrys took a deep breath. Ealdmund knew more bad news was forthcoming. Emrys frowned and replied, “I too must agree with Bjørn. Our levies are just not ready for war. Many lords are still in shock over Eadweard’s death and unsure of this council. To go to war with two opponents will not meet with favor with many of the vassals. They will show their displeasure by sending only a small portion of their levies. We need some more time before we go to war.”

1aXd87g.png

2DDk6CS.png

Knowing Ealdmund was hurt Emrys smiled at him in an attempt to reassure the spymaster and said, “I do agree we need friends and possibly allies.” He turned to Rígán, “Lord Chancellor I task you with exploring the possibilities of alliances.”

Startled out of his gloating Rígán replied, “W-with whom should I try?”

Emrys thought for a moment, “France of course. Perhaps Norge.”

Rígán nodded, “I will do my best.”

Emrys nodded, “I hold to nothing less, Lord Chancellor.”

Emrys then called the meeting closed.

Ealdmund stormed out of the chambers without speaking to anyone. Rígán, Vagn, and Bjørn left together. Emrys watched them and shook his head thinking, They go off to plot the course of the kingdom. They are the new generation that will influence the path of the kingdom. The old guard such as Ealdmund and I will soon pass into history and legend.

Emrys lingered for a short time staring at the empty chair. Concern and doubt filled his every bone. As he stood to leave, he mumbled, “Our best may not be good enough.”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Emrys is too practical to suffer self-deceit. Ealdmund not so much.

I will still root for Emrys to beat the ageing odds, however slim a hope that might be. It would be worth it just to see Rigan's frustration grow and grow.

Reactions:
Emrys is too practical to suffer self-deceit. Ealdmund not so much.

I will still root for Emrys to beat the ageing odds, however slim a hope that might be. It would be worth it just to see Rigan's frustration grow and grow.

Age is Emrys biggest problem and he knows it. He has to balance the various groups vying for power particularly Rígán.

Reactions:
Chapter 9.1.2 - November 1029 Cardiff, County of Glamorgan
November 1029
Cardiff, County of Glamorgan

Padren ap Emrys cursed as he walked out into the bailey. The morning air was crisp and had a slight edge to it as the wind blew across the grounds. A week ago, orders arrived from his father, Jarl Emrys in Jorvik, commanding him to raise the levies and take command of them. Once raised he was to march to Dinefwr in County Dyfed and join with his brother’s levies. There they were to wait for Count Swæfræd of Gwent’s levies to arrive. General Harold would arrive with the levies from Warwick and Worcester and they would receive further orders.

Padren was annoyed as he knew little about what was happening. The orders explained the Regency Council had declared war to make King Gilchrist of Scotland pay tribute. A letter from his father arrived two days later detailing a long drawn out and contentious council meeting in which Ealdmund and Rígán nearly came to blows. Emrys expressed concern and doubt about declaring war on Scotland but reluctantly went along with when no other alternative presented itself.

h35oD3d.png

Still Padren did not understand fully why they were at war and why with Scotland. In the past the Jorvikian kings had always subjugated the Irish kingdoms first and used them as allies in future wars. This going after Scotland was new and unexpected. He knew the council felt it needed to show it was strong and had the support of the lords. Padren wondered if Scotland was the right kingdom to do so with.

As he walked across the bailey toward the arriving dispatch riders Padren was met by Mayor Drystan of Caersws. The mayor was the Steward of Deheubarth and one of its commanders. The two men exchanged greetings and Drystan said, “We war with Scotland.”

Padren was not sure what to make of the statement, “Yes we do. For the glory of our kingdom.”

In a low voice Drystan said, “I hear measles runs rampant throughout Scotland.”

Emrys stopped walking. He did not need rumors such as this spreading. Raising the levies was difficult enough as many were looking for excuses to stay away from the war which was already proving unpopular in Wales. He glared at Drystan, “Where did you here such a tale?”

Still in a low voice Drystan replied, “I heard from traders who passed through here several weeks ago.”

Padren shook his head, “And you believe these traders on face value?”

Drystan nodded, “Yes, milord. They have been good sources of information.”

Padren glared at Drystan, “You are Steward of the jarldom. You most of all should know not to give credence to rumors.”

Slightly insulted Drystan tried to recover, “I know they are not rumors. I myself have seen mention of them in official correspondence with Jorvik.”

Padren sighed, “Yes they are measles in Scotland. It is limited to Gowrie, Fife, Strathearn, and Clydesdale. You need not concern yourself with this epidemic I doubt we will get near it. We will cross to Ireland and march north attacking Oriel and eventually crossing back into Carrick or sail directly to Carrick.”

UbMhUXD.png

Drystan nodded, “Thank you, milord for making the situation clear.”

Padren nodded and said, “Now if you will excuse me, I have business with the dispatch riders from Jorvik.”

Drystan bowed and stepped away from Padren. Padren resumed his trek toward the just arrived dispatch riders. As he approached the riders who were busy retrieving documents from their saddle bags Padren was surprised he recognized one of the riders. The rider in question saw Padren and began to walk toward him.

Padren was dumbfounded as he found himself standing before his son, Emrys ap Padren. His son had been sent to Jorvik to serve on his grandfather’s staff so the young man of 19 could increase his knowledge of war which in his father’s opinion was lacking. One look into his son’s face he knew there was trouble.

Qct8t7E.png

Apprehensively Padren spoke, “Emrys it is good to see you. What brings you to Cardiff carrying dispatches?”

Emrys ap Padren took a deep breath, “Grandmother felt I should do so.”

Surprised Padren, “Grandmother? Since when does your grandmother command the king’s soldiers?”

Emrys ap Padren reached into his pouch as removed a letter and handed it to his father. Confused Padren took the letter and looked it over. He could see it bore the handwriting of his mother and her seal. Questioningly Padren looked up from the letter at his son.

A tear rolled down the young man’s cheek. In a voice cracking with sadness he said, “The letter says grandfather died in his sleep close to a week ago.”

h09EnIS.png

Padren tried to swallow the lump that had instantly formed in his throat. He could feel tears welling up in his eyes. He looked at the letter as if it was a serpent in his hands. Knowing what was in the letter did not make it any easier to open. He felt he barely had the strength to break the seal on the letter. Once he opened the letter, he slowly read it. He closed his eyes.

When he opened them, he saw his distraught son standing before him. Padren reached out and pulled the young man to him. Emrys buried his face in the shoulder of his father as the two hugged. Standing there with his son Padren thought, Jarl Emrys ap Padren Morgannwg the Wise of Deheubarth, Marshal of Jorvik, Regent of Jorvik is no more. His next thought frightened him, I am now Count of Glamorgan and Jarl of Deheubarth.

N7Xeprf.png

Padren’s wife, Wulfhild, entered the solar carrying a pitcher of ale and two mugs. She placed them on a table and filled both mugs. She then walked to Padren and Emrys who were standing looking out the windows in silence. She gave a mug to each. Both took their mugs and thanked her. Trying to fight back the tears she looked at Emrys and asked, “What of your brother Anarawd?”

S24bqFH.png

Emrys took a sip of ale and replied, “He remained in Jorvik with grandmother. He will be her escort when she brings grandfather here to be laid to rest.”

Wulfhild said, “I see. What of Peredyr? Has some one been sent to him to tell him of his father’s death?”

Emrys nodded, “Grandmother saw to it. A courier, Dag son of Jarl Ealdmund of Powys and brother to Peredyr’s wife Cristina was given the task of delivering the news.”

Wulfhild faked a smile and said, “I shall leave you two for now. I assume there is more news from Jorvik given the size of the message pouch.” She kissed Emrys on the cheek and then Padren. She bowed and left father and son alone.

Emrys walked over to where the pouch rested, “Mother is correct. There is more.” He reached into the pouch and removed a document. It was rolled up and tied with a chord. He handed it to his father.

Padren removed the chord and unrolled the document. He read it, “It is a patent confirming I am Count of Glamorgan and Jarl of Deheubarth.” He looked up at Emrys. “It is signed by Ealdmund.”

Emrys nodded, “Jarl Ealdmund of Powys is now Regent.”

HARFTZy.png

Padren grinned, “Rígán must have been livid.”

Emrys chuckled, “It was said that he nearly had an apoplexy.”

Still smiling Emrys reached again into the pouch and removed another scroll and handed it to Padren. Padren took the scroll and looked at his son who was smiling ear to ear. Suspicious of something dubious would be revealed by the scroll Emrys removed the chord and unrolled the scroll.

As he read the scroll, he cocked an eyebrow and looked at his son, “You know what this patent says?”

Proudly Emrys said, “Yes I do. You have been appointed Lord Marshal of Jorvik.”

Padren smiled and shook his head as the words sank in. “Lord Marshal just like my father,” he said softly.

Still beaming Emrys said, “Congratulations. Grandfather would be so proud.”

The mention of his father brought a lump to Padren’s throat. He looked at his son and patted him on the shoulder a couple of times. Emrys looked to the door. Padren’s gaze followed his son’s. To Padren surprise the other courier who rode from Jorvik with Emrys stood there. The man slowly began to walk toward them,

Emrys grinned, “Someone from Jorvik to see you.”

As the man approached Padren recognized him. When he was close enough the man extended his arm and he Padren embraced arms. With a smile Padren said, “General Harold.”

nCXLhMb.png

As they released arms Harold returned the smile, “Marshal Padren. May I congratulate you and offer my deepest sympathies?”

Padren nodded, “Thank you.” He looked at Harold with a slightly confused looked, “I thought you would be traveling with the levies from Worcester and Warwick to Dyfed.”

Harold nodded, “Yes but given the circumstances it was felt that I should come directly here and talk of your father’s plans.”

Padren nodded, “That is good. I am in the dark about them.”

As Harold and Padren were speaking they did not notice Emrys leave. Now he returned with a mug of ale for Harold. He refilled Padren’s ale. Padren motioned they should all sit. Emrys started to leave. Padren called to him, “Where do you think you are going?”

Emrys stopped, “I thought you would want to speak with Harold in private.”

Padren motioned for him to sit, “One day you will be Jarl and leading levies of your own. You were sent to Jorvik to learn about war. You are now here. Stay and learn.”

Emrys nodded and took a seat.

Harold finished a long drink of ale and said, “Your father planned an attack with two armies. One commanded by Öysteinn Sumarliðisson made up from the levies from Jorvik, Lincoln, Lancaster, Chester, Djuraby, Westmoreland, Northumberland, and Mann would march through English Lothian and attack and besiege Scone.”

“The second army with the levies from Worcester, Warwick, Liecester, East Anglia, Gloucester, Hereford, Gwynedd, and Deheubarth under my command were to join with the levies from Dyflinn and Hylmrek and sail to Carrick.”

Padren nodded, “A good plan. One army to take the capital and the other to destroy any army that tries to prevent the capital from falling.” He then took a drink of ale.

Harold frowned and held his mug with both hands in his lap, “It may have been but Earl Malmure of Oriel, Marshal of Scotland is not cooperating.”

Confused and concerned Padren asked, “How so?”

Harold responded, “The Scottish levies were raised and organized much faster than we were led to believe it would take. Malmure has ordered Chief Andrew of Dunollie and an army of over 4000 troops into Ireland to attack Dyflinn.”

Padren nodded. Harold remained silent as did Emrys. Padren suddenly was feeling uncomfortable. He became even more uncomfortable when Harold spoke, “As Lord Marshal what are your orders?”

Stunned and confused Padren did not respond.

Getting a little desperate Harold asked, “Do we continue to prepare to sail to Carrick or do we fight the Scots in Ireland?”

Padren snapped out of his trance and replied, “We will defend Dyflinn.”

Harold shook his head, “That will be impossible. I fear Andrew will reach Dyflinn before we can fully assemble our levies to battle him.

Annoyed Padren asked, “What of Sigeberht? Surly he can defend and delay the Scottish.”

Harold sighed, “He will have to withdraw before the Scottish arrive.”

Angry Padren said, “Withdraw? Is he a coward?”

Harold shook his head, “No he is no coward. He will be outnumbered almost 4 to 1. In addition, his levies are still organizing. They lack training and have few battle-hardened men among them.”

Padren sighed and shook his head, “My first action as marshal is to sanction the withdrawal of our troops from Dyflinn and allow the Scots to invade.”

Trying to sound hopeful Harold replied, “All is not lost. The Scottish will first have to take the Fortress of Dyflinn that guards the approaches to Ath Cliath. That will delay them long enough for us to gather our levies in Leinster. Once we are organized, we can attack the Scottish and drive them out of Dyflinn and eventually Ireland.”

Padren thought and then nodded, “That is a good plan.”

Harold grinned, “I will see your wishes are carried out.” Harold looked at Padren and said, “You will be traveling to Jorvik after your father’s funeral?”

Surprised Padren asked, “Why would I go to Jorvik?”

Taken back Harold responded, “To direct the war of course.”

Padren scoffed, “I can direct the war from wherever I am. For now, that will be commanding the troops driving the Scottish out of Ireland.”

Harold’s heart sank. He was looking forward to commanding the Jorvikian army but now he would be relegated to commanding a flank again. He had serious doubts about the new marshal’s capabilities to lead such an army as Padren had never led anything but the levies of Deheubarth. His recent indecision about the Scots and Ireland fueled the doubts even more.

Harold prepared to leave by saying, “I will see to it your orders are sent out.”

Padren stopped Harold from leaving and asked, “Was Rígán able to secure an alliance?”

Harold looked disappointed, “I fear not. He was able to procure non-aggression pacts with Norge and France.”

Padren half smiled, “That is a start.”

Harold stood and said, “If there is nothing else, I will see to the sending of your orders.”

Padren nodded, “There is nothing else.”

Harold bowed and left the room. After he was gone Emrys reached into the pouch and retrieved a letter and gave to his father. “I was told to give you this letter last and you are to read it in private.”

Emrys stood, “I shall leave to give the privacy you require.”

Padren nodded and waved his son out. Emrys bowed and walked briskly out of the room. He did not know the contents of the letter but given the manner in which it was given to him and the instructions he knew it only to be trouble.

After Emrys departed Padren looked the letter over. After a few minutes he broke the seal and began to read. It did not take long for his eyes to widen and his jaw to drop.

In the evening as Padren and Wulfhild prepared for bed Padren said to Wulfhild, “In amongst all the correspondence I received from Jorvik today there was a very interesting letter.”

Curious Wulfhild asked, “A letter? From whom?”

Padren chuckled, “Rígán.”

Surprised Wulfhild replied, “The chancellor. Since your speaking to me of this I gather the letter was more than just giving his condolences.”

Padren nodded, “Yes it was.”

Getting a little annoyed with Padren Wulfhild glared at him and said, “Do not make me drag it out of you. What did the letter say that apparently has you concerned?”

Padren looked at his wife as he walked toward the bed, “He speaks of Ealdmund.”

As Wulfhild sat on the side of the bed she asked, “Ealdmund, Jarl of Powys now Regent of Jorvik?”

Padren climbed into bed, “Yes.”

Wulfhild climbed into the bed herself, “What did he say?”

Padren replied as he lowered his head onto this pillow, “He said not to trust him.”

Wulfhild raised her body up leaning on her arm and looked down on a prone Padren, “Why not?”

Padren shook his head, “It was not clear. Something about he is not truthful and will deceive you if it benefits him.”

As Wulfhild lowered her head onto the pillow she chuckled, “Describes almost every lord in the land.”

Padren grinned, “Yes it does, but Rígán said Ealdmund is protecting whoever killed King Eadweard.”

Wulfhild was shocked at such a statement, “Do you believe him?”

Padren thought for a moment, “I have no reason to do so but I do not know. Father trusted Ealdmund so why shouldn’t I?”

Wulfhild turned and laid against her husband’s side, “Enough talk of court intrigue. It is time to congratulate the new Marshal of Jorvik.” She kissed him deeply.

Even as his wife did so Padren could not shake the contents of the letter from his mind.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I am sorry to see Emrys pass, but perhaps it is for the best. What is now going to come woudl only needlessly distress him.

It seems the Council is liable to be increasingly fractious. That can't be a good sign.

Reactions:
Well Emrys didn't think he'd last much longer, and he was right. Padern will be one to keep happy though. With that intrigue skill he could be a real danger on plots and from what I remember, council members get double the plot power (the spymaster quite a bit more, obviously). So even if he's just the marshal, he could still be dangerous.

Scotland is a change of pace from previous rulers, but I guess that's the only war you could get support for? I know council members tend to get all honor-bound for some reason when targeting weak lords.

Reactions:
I am sorry to see Emrys pass, but perhaps it is for the best. What is now going to come woudl only needlessly distress him.

It seems the Council is liable to be increasingly fractious. That can't be a good sign.

I too was sorry to see Emrys pass. He had become a favorite. A rock in the storm. Once Eadweard died I had a feeling given his age he would not be around for long.

The factions are going to keep coming and becoming more and more of nuisance.

Since I am playing as the Council ruling I had to rethink my approach to factions. Anything that favored Council or Council members had to be considered a good thing.

Well Emrys didn't think he'd last much longer, and he was right. Padern will be one to keep happy though. With that intrigue skill he could be a real danger on plots and from what I remember, council members get double the plot power (the spymaster quite a bit more, obviously). So even if he's just the marshal, he could still be dangerous.

Scotland is a change of pace from previous rulers, but I guess that's the only war you could get support for? I know council members tend to get all honor-bound for some reason when targeting weak lords.

Padren is not his father in many ways. Appointments with the Council are not being made based on the best candidate. They are being made on keeping things happy in the kingdom and returning favors.

With the make up of the Council many thought fighting the Irish would not bring any glory. So Scotland was the choice left.

Reactions:
Chapter 9.2.1 - December 1029 Near Fortress Dyflinn
Chapter 9.2

December 1029
Near Fortress Dyflinn

Snowflakes swirled in the wind and about the rider. He pulled the furs he wore tighter around him. He looked in the distance at the fortress that guarded the approached to Ath Cliath. He cursed its presence. It would delay him, and time was something that he battled more than the enemy. He took some relief in knowing his troops would begin their siege any day now. In a month the fort should fall, and he would be on his way to Ath Cliath.

A rider approached calling, “Chief Andrew, Chief Andrew”

Chief Andrew of the Argyll Tribe turned his horse to meet the oncoming rider. Andrew’s small escort of guards drew close to their charge reaching for their weapons. With a raised hand he stopped them from drawing. He shouted to the rider, “Here Alan.”

whSEmij.png

Mayor Alan of Perth brought his horse to halt alongside of Andrew. Seeing the horse breathing heavily and sweating even in the cold Andrew could tell he had been ridden hard. The message carried by Alan must be of some importance. Alan handed Andrew a message and while trying to catch his breath stated, “From Marshal Malmure.”

Andrew removed his gloves and took the message. Fumbling in the cold he opened it and read. A big smile crossed his face. He placed the message in his belt and put his gloves back on.

Alan smiled, “Good news?”

Andrew chuckled, “Good news indeed. Prince Sigeberht has evacuated Ath Cliath and is heading south toward Leinster.”

Confused Alan said, “I would have never taken Sigeberht to be a coward.”

Andrew looked at Alan, “He is not. He is shrewd and careful.”

Alan said, “I don’t understand. Why does he flee?”

Andrew shook his head. Sometimes Alan could be a test to his patience. “He knows he is outnumbered, and help will not arrive in time. He falls back into Leinster to join with the other levies coming from Jorvik.”

Now more confused Alan asked, “Won’t that be a problem for us? We will be outnumbered then.”

Andrew shook his head, “The Jorvikians levies have been slow to answer the call to arms. Too many years under King Eadweard and their doddering marshal have made them soft. They are ill-prepared for this fight. Yes, they may have more men but we will have more fighters than they will. By the time they attack we will have taken Ath Cliath.”

Satisfied Alan nodded, “It is good.”

Andrew nodded and gestured Alan should leave which the mayor did.

Iain who was closed by approached Andrew. Andrew turned to him. “Did you hear?”

Iain nodded, “Yes, I did.”

Andrew looked concerned, “I can be more truthful with you than Alan. You are not the fool he can be.”

Iain grinned, “I thank you for that trust.”

Andrew looked at the fortress, “Delays will be our undoing if we are not careful. We lost time in Oriel battling those raiders from Hälsingland at Armagh. We will lose time taking this fortress. It is all time we can ill afford.”

YMO0T5E.png

Iain nodded, “We must fight harder and with more passion than our enemies. We shall then overcome them.”

Andrew thought for a moment, “You are correct. We must still stay to the plan. If we rush all could be lost.”

Iain looked at Andrew, “I understand.”

Andrew smiled as he began to guide his horse away, “Now let us go find something warm for our bellies.”

Iain smiled, nodded his approval and followed his commander.

Near Wexford, Leinster

Angry Prince Sigeberht stormed passed the surprised guards outside the tent. Before they could react, he had the tent flap open and was inside the tent. Once inside the tent he came face to face with Padren and his scribe.

5cwUHgj.png

Face red with anger Sigeberht looked at the scribe and ordered, “Out!”

Eyes wide with fear the scribe looked at Padren. Padren nodded and the scribe exited the tent as fast as he could. A guard stuck his head into the tent just after the scribe left and Padren signaled him to leave.

Before Padren could speak Sigeberht roared, “Abandon my lands to the Scottish without a fight! That is your idea of plan?”

Knowing he must be careful in his dealings with Sigeberht Padren took a moment to think. Sigeberht was not just the Jarl of Dyflinn but a Prince of Jorvik, uncle to the king, and heir to the crown. If the young king were to die before he could produce an heir, a misstep here could be costly perhaps fatal.

He chose the obvious, “It was necessary.”

Sigeberht roared right back at the marshal, “Necessary you say? We marched out of Ath Claith to defend our lands against the invading Scots only to receive orders to immediately fall back to here.”

Padren tried to smile, “How many troops did you have a thousand? The Scottish have over four thousand men laying siege to Fort Dyflinn. You would have been outnumbered four to one. Many of your levies are raw and some still resent you for replacing their previous lord. You would not have done well in any pitched battle with the Scottish.”

Sigeberht looked at Padren, “What of this army? Why does it not advance?”

Padren walked closer to his table, “We could not. We are not ready.”

Sigeberht scoffed, “Not ready!” He pointed to the tent walls, “What is that which surrounds this tent? A camp of beggars?”

Padren shook his head trying to hold his tongue, “It is an army.”

Sigeberht laughed, “An army that sits on its laurels while the kingdom is invaded.”

Padren raised his voice slightly, “We wait for the levies from Worcester and Hereford.”

Sigeberht shook his head in disbelief, “You have well over four thousand here. How many will Worcester and Hereford bring four, five, six hundred. There are enough to attack now.”

A new voice came from behind Sigeberht. Sigeberht turned to see Harold and Bishop Cynehelm of Halton, Padren’s flank commanders, who had entered the tent the quietly. Upon leaving the scribe encountered them. When questioned about his hasty departure he told them why. The two commanders felt it was prudent for them to be in attendance.

Harold said, “The Scottish have forty-five hundred soldiers around Fort Dyflinn. This is the latest count from our scouts and from Lord Ealdmund’s spies. In truth we have about forty-six hundred troops here. The troops from Worcester and Hereford are dearly needed.”

Cynehelm spoke as Harold finished, “Unfortunately many of the troops here are raw and untrained. If we break camp and march to Ath Claith a quarter of them will just wander off. In battle it could be even worse as many will run or make fatal mistakes. We must wait and train them.”

AxX3nEY.png

Sigeberht sighed, “How long shall we wait while my lands and pillaged?”

Padren replied as he walked over to the prince, “A month, a month and a half perhaps.”

Sigeberht shook his head, “A month! Do you know the damage that can be done in a month? Fields and farms ruined just before spring.”

Padren put his arm around Sigeberht’s shoulders and started to lead him toward the exit, “As I am sure you are aware your father, King Rædwald and my father never went into battle unless they were ready. Their troops were trained and outnumbered the enemy. They left little to chance.”

Sigeberht nodded as they reached the tent exit, “I am aware.”

Padren removed his arm and looked at Sigeberht and said, “Your lands will not be under any scourge for long.”

Sigeberht raised his finger and pointed at Padren, “I will personally hold you to that promise.”

Padren smiled, “I am sure you will.”

Abruptly Sigeberht spun around and the tent. Padren let out the breath he did not realize he had been holding. He walked past Harold and Cynehelm to his table. He reached for and lifted the mug of ale that was sitting there and drank it empty. He turned to his commanders and said, “That went well.”

Everyone chuckled and Cynehelm replied, “Better than I expected.”

Padren looked at both commanders and asked, “Any word from our scouts or Ealdmund’s spies?”

Harold shook his head, “Nothing new. The Scottish under Chief Andrew besieging Fort Dyflinn are confirmed to be about forty-five hundred. There are no other troops in Ireland according to Ealdmund’s spies.”

vYatNuA.png

Padren nodded, “That is well. How long can the Fort Dyflinn hold out?”

Cynehelm responded after thinking for a moment, “Five weeks, maybe six.”

Padren felt vindicated in his answers to Sigeberht, “We would never have time to save them.” He walked to the table, “We will catch them spread out while they are besieging Ath Claith.”

Harold protested, “They will flee before we reach them.”

Padren smiled, “Good we will chase them down.”

Frustrations filled Harold, “Our numbers are roughly the same. They will find a place they can defend easily and wait for us.”

Padren continued to smile, “Good and then we will crush them.”

Getting red in the face Harold replied, “We may win but we will not crush them, and we will take heavy casualties.”

Padren slammed his fist on the table the smile gone, “It is war General Harold. Soldiers die. If you do not like it there are others who will gladly take the honor of serving their kingdom.”

Padren asked, “What of Öysteinn?”

Harold answered, “He has surrounded Scone and is beginning to push his siege lines forward.”

av2cKEc.png

Padren smiled and nodded, “That is good. All goes as planned.”

Harold was still troubled by the fact a Scottish army had been noted in Argyll a few weeks before but there had been no mention of it since. What troubled him more was Padren appeared to be oblivious to the fact. “What of the other army we heard about several weeks ago? No one has reported on them.”

Padren looked at Harold and gave a knowing grin, “If no one has reported on them then they do not exist.”

Harold shook his head, “An army just does not disappear.”

Padren glared at Harold, “They could have disbanded or the levies decided to go home.”

With growing frustrations Harold said, “Even so we should have heard something.”

Padren smiled, “I place my confidence in Lord Ealdmund and his spies. If they do not report a second army then there is not one.”

Harold shook his head and stormed out of the tent, Cynehelm bowed to Padren and quickly followed.

Once they were out of hearing range Harold stopped. Cynehelm looked at him and said, “You must be careful. He is the marshal, and you can be fired.”

Harold glared at Cynehelm, “He would do me a favor.”

Cynehelm responded, “You do not truly mean such. Give him time. He has much to learn.”

Harold shook his head, “We do not have time for him to learn by making glaring mistakes. Eadweard was a fool militarily but he listened to his commanders. As marshal Emrys always listened to his commanders. My good Lord what has the Council done to us?”

Shaking his head Harold walked off into the camp leaving Cynehelm to ponder Harold’s question.

• 1Love
Reactions:
The new regency is not getting off to the best of starts. It reminds me uncommonly well of real mediaeval regencies - that of Henry VI in particular.

Reactions:
The new regency is not getting off to the best of starts. It reminds me uncommonly well of real mediaeval regencies - that of Henry VI in particular.

That is an understatement. The council off to bad start and getting worse. In the game this council drove me nuts.

Reactions:
I'm mildly surprised Sigeberht has not already taken to plotting against his nephew (though I suppose he could well be, and we're not seeing it). However he's content... and kind? If he's not plotting those traits are likely the reason.

The first stage of the war like that is always going to go poorly. But it makes sense that with a young child on the throne and a tricky regency, that it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

Reactions:
I'm mildly surprised Sigeberht has not already taken to plotting against his nephew (though I suppose he could well be, and we're not seeing it). However he's content... and kind? If he's not plotting those traits are likely the reason.

The first stage of the war like that is always going to go poorly. But it makes sense that with a young child on the throne and a tricky regency, that it's hard to see the forest for the trees.

I too was surprised by Sigeberht himself not leading a plot. He, however, is offered as a replacement by others.

This regency is about to get even messier as time goes on. The kingdom needs it to settle down and settle down quickly. The Council members on the other hand will continu jockeying around for their own gains. They seem to forget there is a war going on.

Reactions:
Chapter 9.2.2 - January 1030 Near Wexford, Leinster
January 1030
Near Wexford, Leinster

The guard opened the door to the house, that had been commandeered for Padern by the local officials as a good will gesture to replace the tent the Marshal o Jorvik had been using. The house was simple in nature, more like a cottage. It had only a large room that served as a parlor and dining area, and a kitchen area with a hearth for warmth. A separate pit was used for cooking. The bedroom was the only room that had a door and its own hearth. The attic which was more of a loft was reached by a ladder and where Padern’s squire and scribe slept.

The guard announced Count François of Leinster. The count entered the room and removed his furs which he gave to a servant who was sent to fetch them. He was offered a mug of hot broth which he eagerly took. The broth felt good against the cold and dampness of the Irish winter.

FDXDAlP.png

François made his way over to the group of men standing near the roaring fire in the hearth. He stopped before one and bowed. The man returned the bow. Naturally speaking Occitan and French François spoke Nordic with a heavy accent, “Jarl Padern it is good to see you again.”

Padern nodded, “You are always welcome Count François.” Directing François toward the hearth Padern said, “Here come closer and warm yourself. The cold is very bitter today and this cottage you have provided is very welcomed.”

François moved next to the hearth and soaked in the heat given off, “Thank you.”

Padern then pointed to the two men with him, “I do not believe you have met my commanders.”

François shook his head, “I have not had the pleasure.”

Padern smiled and walked over to the nearest and placed his hand on the man’s shoulders, “This is Lord Harold.” Harold smiled and bowed. François returned the gestures. Padern then went to the man dressed in bishop’s robes. Padern placed his arm on the bishop’s shoulder and said, “Bishop Cynehelm of Halton.” As Harold did Cynehelm bowed and François returned the bow.

Smiling François said, “It is good to meet you both.”

Suspicious and wondering the nature of François’ visit Padern asked, “What do we owe the honor of your company today?”

François tried to remain stoic, but his nervousness came through, “I come on a delicate matter.”

Now even more suspicious but also suspecting he knew the reason Padern sked, “What would that be?”

François swallowed and replied, “Four months ago, out of the goodness of his heart and in honor of his Queen, the Princess Bodil, sister of King Rædald, and great aunt to King Ofieg, King Gargamel consented a safe haven for your army to gather.”

tAkecn7.png

Thinking he knew what was coming next Padern knew he had to be respectful, “For his kindness and foresight we are entirely grateful.”

François nodded. Silent like prisoners going to the executioner’s block Padern and his commanders waited as François spoke, “With the coming of spring His Majesty was speculating as to when your campaign would commence.”

Padern understood the meaning of the count’s words and chuckled inside about the subtlety of the order for them to leave Leinster without actually saying it. Having no wish to slight his host or to cause an incident Padern smiled and replied, “We were this day discussing the start of the campaign.”

François nodded, “The ground is frozen now. It would be a good time to march before the spring mud overtakes the roads.”

Knowing he had been given another nudge Padern nodded, “You are correct about the roads as Harold was discussing with me this morning.”

While he only showed politeness Padern thought One day we will come for you. By the points of swords, we will make Aquitaine yield these lands to us.

Not knowing Padern’s true feelings François relaxed, “King Gargamel does wish you luck and good fortune in your endeavors once they begin. As King Gargamel cherishes his wife Queen Bodil Aquitaine cherishes its friendship with Jorvik.”

Padern smiled and patted François on the back, “We shall be on the road soon very soon.”

Playing his role Harold now spoke, “Since Chief Andrew has encountered unexpected difficulties in taking Fort Dyflinn the time is coming for us to move against him. We can strike him while he is preoccupied and in a weaken state.”

François now truly was relieved. He had feared resistance on the part of Padern. Concern was rampant throughout the county and the court at Carcassonne the war would be fought on Leinsterian soil or as winter stores dwindled the Jorvikian army would resort to some form of plundering the county.

Smiling François said, “I will send word you are preparing to move northward. When should I inform the king, you will begin your trek northward?”

Padern put on a fake smile and replied, “It will take some time to break camp once we decide. I would think nearly a month.”

François nodded, “Good that is very good.” He bowed and said, “I must take my leave now for there are pressing matters in Wexford requiring my presence.”

Padern, Harold, and Cynehelm bowed. Padern said, “I have enjoyed your visit.”

François gave his half-drunk bowl of broth to a servant while another brought his furs. The count left the house.

With the count was gone Padern turned to Harold and Cynehelm and growled, “We knew this day would come so it looks like our decision to begin the campaign has been made for us”

Harold shook his head, “I would have preferred spring well after the thaw and mud. Marching and fighting in winter has never been a favorite of mine.”

Cynehelm chuckled, “Those of Nordic lineage would scoff at you and call you soft. A winter fight they would say is in their blood.”

All chuckled. Padern said, “I hope you are right good bishop, for we shall have a winter fight.”

Harold rubbed his chin, “The Scots will be busy about the siege. They will think we will wait for spring as that is what they would do.”

Cynehelm smirked, “We could catch them unaware.”

Harold paced, “The count is accurate, the ground is still hard from the cold and therefore the roads will be also. We will be ahead of the thaw and the muddy, sometime impassable roads of early spring.”

Cynehelm smiled, “It is almost as if God has willed it.”

Padern looked at Cynehelm, “God may will it, but I put my faith in knowledge. The knowledge of knowing my enemy.”

Harold nodded and responded, “What are your orders?”

Padern looked at both commanders, “Send out the scouts northward. Find the best routes north. Watch the Scottish, keep track of their movements. Count their numbers. Have the spies learn their secrets.”

Both commanders nodded and replied, “Yes milord.”

Padern put his hands near the flame to warm them, “Make preparations for the army to break camp.”

Harold replied, “As you wish.”

Harold and Cynehelm bowed and left the house.

As they walked through the camp Harold said, “I truly hope God is with us.”

Surprised as Cynehelm had never thought Harold an overly pious man asked, “Why do speak such?”

Harold stopped and looked around the camp and sighed, “For many here in this camp this will be their first campaign and first taste of battle. We will need God’s help to keep them strong and fearless.”

Cynehelm felt doubt wash over him, “I shall pray for such assistance.”

The house was a beehive of activity of servants packing Padern’s belongings and loading them on wagons as the army prepared to march northward. Padern directed the chaos while trying to maintain his sanity. Padern’s attention was diverted by a guard announcing a visitor, “Duchess Ealhswith of East Anglia.”

Padern turned and looked at the door and saw the duchess enter the cottage. Padern walked over to her. Upon reaching her he reached out and took her hand and kissed the back of it saying, “Duchess Ealhswith.”

She smiled and replied, “Jarl Padern.”

Still holding her hand and indicating the table and benches along it Padern said, “Come sit and warm yourself at the hearth.”

ChrUTck.png

Leading her he brought her to the table. He aided her in sitting on the bench. Padern ordered a servant to bring them ale. He walked to the other side of the table and sat down. Just as he did the ale arrived. The servant placed a mug before each and Padern indicated the servant should leave them.

Padern smiled at Ealhswith and aid, “Some warm ale to take the chill off.”

Ealhswith returned the smile and replied, “Thank you.”

Both took drinks from their mugs.

Padern said, “It is a long journey from Norfolk. Why does the Lady of East Anglia grace me with her presence?”

Ealhswith smiled, “I wish to see how you treat my husband Cenfus and my brother Offa and my levies. I have heard you are a hard taskmaster, demanding perfection.”

Feigning shock and hurt Padern replied, “I only do what is necessary to bring victory to our king.”

Both burst out laughing.

Ealhswith took another drink and looked at Padern with seriousness written across her face, “I wish to speak to you of a matter.”

Curious Padern asked, “What sort of matter?”

Ealhswith replied, “A very sensitive and private matter for your ears only.”

Padern cocked and eyebrow. Seeing the determination in her face he stood and yelled, “Everyone out.”

The servants stopped in shock. Padern reiterated, “Out now.”

Quickly the servant stopped their tasks and exited the cottage leaving Padern, Ealhswith, his squire, and his scribe. Padern looked at Ealhswith and she nodded. Padern looked at this squire and scribe, “You too.”

Both nodded and reluctantly went out into the cold.

Padern sat back down and looked at Ealhswith, “Now my good lady what is this sensitive and private matter you spoke of?”

Ealhswith sipped some ale and smiled, “What is your opinion of the manner of court lately?”

Padern took some ale himself, “Confused and directionless.”

Ealhswith smirked, “You are kinder than I am.”

Padern grinned, “I am on Council, so not all is ruinous.”

Ealhswith looked at Padern and asked, “Why do think it is as so?”

Padern smirked, “I can enumerate many reasons. I feel you already know many of them and are about to tell me.”

Ealhswith lifted her mug to toast Padern, “Shrewd. You will not commit until you know my position.”

Padern grinned sinisterly, “I know you need me greatly for whatever it is you are planning. Otherwise you would not be here in person. This places me in a position of strength.”

Ealhswith shook her head, “You are correct. My need does place me at a disadvantage.”

Padern sipped some ale and leaned back on the bench, “And what is this need you speak?”

Ealhswith grinned, “It is not just for me. It is for the kingdom.”

Padern chuckled, “Of course it is.”

Ealhswith becoming annoyed with Padern and his borderline condescending attitude replied, “The kingdom needs strength and stability.”

Padern grinned, “On that we can agree.”

Ealhswith nodded, “We cannot obtain either with the current state of affairs in Jorvik.”

Padern finished his ale. He realized the pitcher was at the other end of the table and stood. “What are you speaking of?”

Ealhswith watched Padern walked to the end of the table and grab the pitcher, “We have a three-year-old for a king and a Regency Council who can only be described as inept.”

Padern walked back to his seat, “Harsh words spoken before a member of that very council you criticize.”

Padern took her cup and poured more ale, “A council you have not attended. If you had, you would understand.” Padern refilled his mug and placed the pitcher between them and returned to his seat as Ealhswith continued, “Take this war. A misguided endeavor if there ever was one.”

Padern drank some ale and replied, “We fight this war to show King Ælfgar, King Diogo, and the Irish despite having a child king we are still powerful and should not be trifled with.”

Ealhswith shook her head, “But now? King Eadweard was barely two months in his tomb and we are at war. Is the war truly to show the power of the kingdom or to give glory to certain lords?”

Padern eyes narrowed, “Careful, dear duchess. You seem to forget to whom you speak.”

Ealhswith realized her faux pas, “I meant no disrespect to your father. I am sure he was the voice of reason in the storm of absurdity and only voted for war to show unity.”

Padern grinned and nodded, “Apology accepted. Now I wish you clearly state your purpose.”

Ealhswith took a drink and replied, “The kingdom cannot suffer a thirteen-year regency.”

Padern looked at her and said, “It survived a similar crisis with a child king and a murder.”

Ealhswith shook her head, “Unlike Knut we do not have a Lady Halla to lead the council. Even with all her greatness she still lost Skuli to an assassin.”

Padern shrugged his shoulders, “We just have not found our Lady Halla.”

Ealhswith leaned toward Padern, “We do not have the time. If ever do find such a person, the kingdom will already be ruined.” She took a drink of ale and as she placed the mug on the table a devilish grin came to her face, “I feel we do not need to wait.”

Now intrigued Padern asked, “You speak of deposing the young king?”

Ealhswith nodded, “In these times it is the best course of action. We need the stability of an adult.”

Padern cocked an eyebrow, “And whom do you have in mind for such a task?”

Ealhswith smiled, “Someone you are familiar with, Count Swæfræd of Gwent.”

Padern burst out in laughter, “Swæfræd? He is a bastard.”

7rPVIUD.png

Surprised and taken back by Padern’s reaction Ealhswith took a moment to compose herself and replied, “Yes is a bastard, the acknowledged bastard of King Eilif. He would have been legitimized if it had not been for the scheming of the slut Ingrid af Chester.”

Padern shook his head, “That is a rather harsh judgement of Ingrid.”

Now it was Ealhswith who laughed, “What can be said about the traitorous bitch who now dwells in Galicia. Her own daughter Birgitta, Queen of Danmark will not have her.” Ealhswith looked at Padern, “But I did come here to discuss Ingrid.”

Padern smirked, “No you did not, but Swæfræd?”

Ealhswith grinned, “Why not Swæfræd. Did your father or you ever find cause to not trust him or find fault with him?”

Padern took a moment to think and replied, “I cannot say we have. However, he did inherit one trait from his father when came to lovers and siring bastards.”

Ealhswith leaned back and replied, “Siring bastards has never been looked upon as a hindrance to the House of Hvitserk.”

Hearing Hvitserk Padern realized something, “Swæfræd is not of the House of Hvitserk nor is he considered Norse.”

Nodding Ealhswith replied, “You speak the truth.”

Slightly unsure Padern looked at Ealhswith, “Will that not present an obstacle?”

Ealhswith shook her head, “The Hvitserk kings draw much of their power from being the Jarl of Jorvik, Lancaster, and Mercia; and the Count of Jorvik, Lancaster, Chester, Djuraby, Worcester, and Warwick. Beyond the royal holdings a child, Prince Eilif rules in Northumberland, and another child, Thurcytel rules in Gwynedd. Prince Sigeberht holds Dyflinn, and Katarina is Countess of Hereford. Even within the house there is conflict as Countess Mildrith of Gloucester wars with Thurcytel to replace him with his uncle, Count Hlothere of Shrewsbury as jarl.”

eNlTS46.png
vYhgd1N.png

Nd6lxCt.png
M9smPfw.png

4hD5LY1.png

Padern drank some ale and said, “Hvitserk is a powerful force within the kingdom. Removing them from power will meet with great resistance.”

Ealhswith smirked, “I think not.”

Curious Padern asked, “What makes you think so?”

Eahlswith stood in order to warm her hands near the hearth, “Hlothere Stawell is Jarl of Mann, Ealdmund Wiglafing is Jarl of Powys, you of Morgannwg are Jarl of Deheubarth, and I of Kiil are Duchess of East Anglia. Yngvar af Llanelwy is Count of Hlymrek, and Wulfrun Akra is Countess of Leicester. Within the royal holdings Wulfwynn Ytra is Countess of Westmorland and Yngvar af Waren is Count of Lincoln. This is also a powerful group of which many tire of being under the House of Hvitserk.”

yunW72m.png
vWu6AYO.png

rAKO2hP.png
nPsxVy6.png

FfUGTCj.png
rkJcuy1.png

Padern shook his head, “I would not count on Ealdmund to go against the child king.”

Ealhswith nodded, “You are right. But even without him we still can place Swæfræd on the throne.”

Padern finished his ale, “And won’t those of Norse linage object?”

Ealhswith smirked, “I expect they will. One must remember only Eilif, Sigeberht, Katarina, and Yngvar of Lincoln are Nordic. The others are Anglo-Saxon, Welsh, and Irish.”

Padern rubbed his chin thinking, “I do say it is an interesting proposal, but I don’t see how I would be of use.”

Ealhswith chuckled, “Come, come Jarl Padern. You rule one the most powerful jarldoms in the kingdom.”

Padern nodded, “True, very true but I am a member of council who are sworn to protect and guide the young king.”

Ealhswith laughed, “In what is most likely the worst secret in the kingdom you support Gavelkind Succession with Countess Katarina.”

Padern glared at Ealhswith, “Gavelkind Succession does not replace the king with another it only lessens the power of the crown by distributing the king’s holding more fairly upon his death.”

Ealhswith shook her head and finished her ale, “Believe what you like. You still plot against the crown.”

Ealhswith stood, “I must be going.”

Padern also stood and walked with Ealhswith to the door. At the door he said, “You have given me much to ponder over these coming days.”

Ealhswith smiled, “I look forward to our next meeting.”

Padern replied as he kissed the back of her hand, “I do too.”

Ealhswith turned and walked out into the camp.

qOohTBB.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Oh my what a mess, and by the sounds of it going to get messier.

Padern does seem to like verbal wordplay, and I am not sure that is a useful trait.

Reactions: