• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After plenty of down, a moment of success for the king. Chasing off his sister (sadly, as I do like her), taking his inheritance and getting rid of some opposition. I still have my doubts he'll avoid a revolt, but at least it will be smaller.

• 1Like
Reactions:
After plenty of down, a moment of success for the king. Chasing off his sister (sadly, as I do like her), taking his inheritance and getting rid of some opposition. I still have my doubts he'll avoid a revolt, but at least it will be smaller.

Eadweard is being nice for a reason as you will soon see. He needs support for his next endeavor which from the family side of things makes sense. There is still a large amount of animosity he has to overcome.

Reactions:
Chapter 8.3.1 - December 1027 Burgh, Cumberland
Chapter 8.3

December 1027
Burgh, Cumberland

Leaning on the table with his left hand Eadwine held the crumbled decree in his right fist as he punched the table. The shockwave from the blow rippled through the table knocking over mugs resting on it and lifting the legs off the ground momentarily. Then with a sweeping motion with his right arm he cleared the table before him. Mugs and documents went crashing to the floor. Standing straight he raised his fist before his face and at the men gathered around the table.

WOjDmRG.png

He was so angry as he spoke spit flew from his mouth, “That offspring of a long line of Nordic whores wants me to surrender the County of Lincoln to him. Lincoln has been ruled by the House of Stawell since Halfdan the Whiteshirt himself granted it to Morcar. The House of Stawall has faithfully and unquestionably served the House of Hvitserk ever since. My father Siweard gallantly served as spymaster for three kings,” He held up his right hand in a fist and as he said a name, he raised a finger. “Sigfrið, Eilif, and Rædwald.” He reformed the fist and slammed it into the table again, “If it were not for Siweard, Eilif may have never been king.” He slammed his other fist into the table, “This how our loyalty is repaid.”

EG13U8P.png

He grabbed the crumbled document and threw it on the table like dice. The balled-up parchment came to rest before his son Leofweald.

The old count glared at his son who flinched under his father’s intense gaze, “Some spymaster you are. You did not see this coming.”

Leofweald tried to swallow but found his mouth devoid of moisture, He stammered, “I-I am sorry.”

Eadwine put his hands on his hips and replied, “Sorry. I am sorry I did not strangle you at birth.”

Shaking Leofweald said, “It is very difficult to get information from Jorvik. Ealdmund and his network is elaborate and efficient.”

Eadwine shook his head in disgust, “Perhaps if you spent half as much time being spymaster as you do at feasts you could discover something.”

Leofweald was going to reply but Eadwine silenced him by raising his hand and staring him down.

Eadwine turned his attention to Bishop Ecgfrith of Carisle. “Lord Marshal what are our chances?”

Knowing there was some safety behind his miter Ecgfrith could be honest with the count known as the Evil. He cleared his throat, “I fear they are not good. Eadweard greatly outnumbers us. Even if he only uses his personal levies, he will have a significant advantage.”

Eadwine shook his head, “I am not daft you fool. I know we cannot best him alone. Are there any lords willing to help us?”

Ecgfrith shook his head, “No, milord none will commit to our aid.”

Next Eadwine looked at his Steward, Mayor Eanfrith of Penrith, “Are there funds to hire mercenaries?”

Not looking too hopeful Eanfrith replied, “There are meager funds available, milord. We could perhaps employ a small company for a short period of time.”

Ecgfrith nodded, “A small company could give us some time, perhaps enough.”

Confused Leofweald spoke, “Time for what?”

Exasperated with his son Eadwine answered, “The other lords of the realm to tire of an unjust war or” Eadwine’s gaze fell on Leofweald, “for something to happen to the king.”

Looking like a cornered animal Leoweald responded, “Something to happen to the king. What kind of happening?”

Smiling like the devil himself Eadwine replied, “You are spymaster, you figure it out.”

Leofweald suddenly fully understood what his father was talking about and his eyes opened wide with shock, “I-I see.”

Eadwine leaned over the table at Leofweald, “Then what are you doing here? Go make it happen.”

“Y-Yes, I will,” Leofweald muttered. He looked at his father and turned and left the room briskly.

Eadwine looked at his other Counselors and said, “Prepare for war.”

Dk6rS5j.png

Dyflinn, Dyflinn

Ealdmund meet Sigeberht at the entrance to the under construction keep. The stone masons and carpenters worked feverishly on the structure even in the cold weather. Both men pulled their furs tighter against the wind.

Ealdmund looked at the keep, “Progress is coming along nicely.”

Sigeberht smiled, “If all goes well, we will be having the Yuletide feast within the walls next season.”

Ealdmund nodded, “That would be much more pleasant than the current accommodations.”

Sigeberht smiled, proud of the work, “Since we have brought civilization to these heathens a proper keep is required.”

Ealdmund looked around the area, “It will be much more defendable than these wooden palisades.”

Confused slightly Sigeberht replied, “Yes it would be.”

Ealdmund grinned at the prince, “One never knows when an enemy or raiders may attack without warning.”

Thinking Ealdmund’s remarks were odd, Sigeberht asked, “Is there something I should be concerned about?”

Ealdmund looked at Sigeberht and continued to grin like a cat would at its prey, “Nothing. But it would be a shame if such a fine structure would not be completed. It could leave one vulnerable.”

Sigeberht looked at Ealdmund in an odd way trying to read the old spymaster’s face, “Is there a point to your words?”

Ealdmund shook his head and returned to watching a stone mason work on a troublesome stone that would not sit properly in its assigned location, “No, but it would be a shame if such an undertaking could not be finished.”

Sigeberht was becoming annoyed with Ealdmund and his toying, “Say what you mean.”

Ealdmund shrugged his shoulders and looked at Sigeberht, “I am just saying spring will soon be here.”

Sigeberht cocked an eyebrow, “What of it?”

Ealdmund smiled, “There will be many projects throughout the kingdom. Some more grand than a simple keep in Irish lands”

Sigeberht turned to Ealdmund, “They are well paid.”

Ealdmund smirked, “For now, funds could dry up or one could be outbid.”

With his anger rising Sigeberht said, “I tire of your games Jarl of Powys. Speak what you came here for.”

Ealdmund’s smirk grew, “I am only here to offer advice, nothing more.”

Sigeberht glared at Ealdmund, “Well then offer.”

Ealdmund nodded, “If one is loyal then there would be no problems. There may be even rewards.”

Sigeberht growled, “And how is one loyal?”

Ealdmund had his prey and struck, “One does not participate in factions for example.”

Sigeberht chewed his bottom lip, “And if one does not follow your wisdom?”

Ealdmund cocked his head and smiled, “There are grand plans to expand the hospital in Jorvik and construct barracks in Djuraby, and some building I cannot recall in Chester.”

Sigeberht looked at the ground and kicked the pebbles at his feet. He looked up at Ealdmund, “I gather I have little choice.”

Ealdmund smiled, “I knew you would understand.”

Sigeberht glared at Ealdmund and turned away from the spymaster. Ealdmund bowed, “I take my leave.”

Sigeberht did not respond or move. Ealdmund chuckled to himself as he walked away from the prince.

8HtZSxK.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
I think that might be called flushing the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think that might be called flushing the game.

Eadweard is trying bring Lincoln back into the sphere of the king. His father tried it but was never successful.

Sigeberht's role in the story is going but more important.

Reactions:
Hmm, have I underestimated Eadweard? He is not catching any flies with honey, but subversion, when done properly, can be even more effective. Of course, it remains a tight rope and one slip could see him take a long fall...

Reactions:
Hmm, have I underestimated Eadweard? He is not catching any flies with honey, but subversion, when done properly, can be even more effective. Of course, it remains a tight rope and one slip could see him take a long fall...

Eadweard has the slothful trait which I interpreted as lazy. What is easier for a lazy person, plan and take time to nicely persuade someone or to take the easy path and use force? You are right about the tight rope and we shall see as time goes on how well he walks that line.

Reactions:
Chapter 8.3.2 - February 1028 Siege Lines Around Burgh

February 1028
Siege Lines Around Burgh

A cold wind blew through the siege camp opening the flap of the king’s tent. Eadweard lifted his head from the documents he was reading. He quickly placed his hand over them so they would not blow off the table. His squire, Ealdwine rushed to close and secure the flap.

As Ealdwine struggled with the flap he was startled to see a messenger at the entry. The messenger handed a note to the startled squire. Ealdwine thanked the messenger and brought the note to Eadweard. As Eadweard read the note the squire finished securing the flap.

Eadweard cursed. Ealdwine walked over to the king, “Bad news, Sire?”

Eadweard responded, “Unfortunately.” He looked up at Ealdwine and said, “Send for Emrys.”

Ealdwine nodded, “Yes, sire.” Ealdwine left the tent.

Ten minutes later Ealdwine returned with Emrys. The old marshal entered the tent and bowed, “You sent for me, Sire.”

Eadweard nodded and handed Emrys the note. Emrys read the note and handed back to the king. Eadweard looked at Emrys and said, “You already knew.”

Emrys nodded, “I received word just as your summons arrived.”

At first Eadweard was angry Emrys was told but then he remembered Emrys was his marshal and would be informed of such an event, “What do you know?”

Emrys looked at the king, “Not much more than is stated in your note. Eadwig commanded the army to a victory over an army of Cumberlanders at Chesterfield with little loss of life to our soldiers.”

aYEt86r.png

Eadweard slammed his fist on the table, “And one of those few who lost their live was Eadwig, himself.”

qLOF19i.png
WCws6bm.png

Emrys frowned, “I am afraid so, Sire.”

Eadweard sighed, “These are dark tidings.”

Emrys replied, “They are. By now Eadwig’s army will have joined with Mayor Uhtræd’s army they should be laying siege to Gainsborough.”

Eadweard frowned, “This war is already costly, and we have nothing to show for the blood spilled.”

Trying to act positive Emrys replied, “We have won the Battle of Preston which yourself took part in. We have laid siege here to Burgh.”

MrfspHd.png

Eadweard shook his head, “But is it enough?”

Perplexed Emrys asked, “What do you mean, Sire?”

Annoyed that he had to explain Eadweard answered, “I know of Earl Cathan’s surrender to King Ælfgar. Now Tír Eoghain is tributary to England where will Ælfgar strike next?”

3uvJzon.png

Beginning to understand Eadweard’s anxieties Emrys responded, “I know not. He has given no indication of his plans.”

Eadweard looked at Emrys and asked, “If you were him where would strike?”

Emrys had to think for a moment. He saw a map of the British Isles on the table and leaned over it. Eadweard turned his attention to the map.

Finally, Emrys looked up from the map. “If I was in Ælfgar’s place I would go after Connachta or Cornwall. They are both at war with each other so they will be pretty much helpless against him.”

Eadweard looked at the map, “What of King Diogo? Do you think Galicia will aid him?”

Emrys rubbed his chin and pulled his beard, “I know not, milord.”

Eadweard raised an eyebrow, “Why do you hesitate?”

Emrys pulled his beard again, “He is heavily involved in another revolt.”

Eadweard had not known this, “What this time?”

Emrys replied, “A knight called Gartiza declared the 2nd Liberation War for Navarra. They caught Diogo by surprise and have seized Irún in Viscaya. They now besiege Vitoria.” He paused for a moment. “Now my information is dated so it may no longer be accurate.”

Eadweard replied, “I see.”

Emrys smirked, “I do remember now Diogo did request aid from Ælfgar. I am not sure if any English levies have gone to Navarra, but it would mean Ælfgar will be preoccupied for some time.”

Eadweard smiled, “Now that is some good news.”

Emrys nodded, “Yes, Sire.”

Eadweard looked back at the map, “How goes this siege?”

Emrys took a deep breath knowing his answer would not necessarily be what the king wanted to hear. “This will be a long siege, milord. Burgh is heavily fortified as it has long been the main defense against invaders from the north.”

Disappointed Eadweard asked, “How long?”

Somewhat apprehensive Emrys replied, “At least through the summer.”

Eq3o97a.png

Eadweard remained silent. Emrys expected an outburst that never came. Instead Eadweard unceremoniously dismissed him.

Emrys began to leave but stopped, “Sire, there is another piece of troubling news that was brought to my attention.”

Eadweard sighed. He had enough bad news for one day, “Is it important?”

Emrys nodded, “It could become very important as it could lead to a war within the Jarldom of Powys.”

Eadweard cocked an eyebrow admitting to himself this could be very troublesome, “What is it?”

Emrys took a deep breath, “Jarl Ealdmund is having difficulties with his brother Count Sigeræd of Perfeddwlad.”

Eadweard shook is head, “What sort of difficulties?”

Emrys frowned, “Sigeræd has been caught plotting against his brother. One of the plots involved removing Ealdmund as jarl and seizing the jarldom for himself.”

Surprised someone could actually plot against Ealdmund Eadweard asked, “What action has Ealdmund taken?”

Emrys responded, “He has arrested Sigeræd and is considering revoking the County of Perfeddwlad from his brother.”

Eadweard nodded, “What was Sigeræd’s response?”

Emrys frowned, “I know not at this time.”

Annoyed Emrys did not know, Eadweard ordered, “Inform me once you know.”

Emrys nodded, “I will as soon as I hear.”

btLat3I.png

Eadweard dismissed Emrys for a second time and this time the marshal did leave.

Once Emrys left Eadweard called to Ealdwine.

Ealdwine responded, “Yes, Sire.”

Eadweard looked at Ealdwine, “Find my scribe. I wish to issue a decree appointing Bjørn as Court Physician and order him here.”

Ealdwine replied, “Yes, Sire.”

Eadweard watched his squire leave the tent. He could not help thinking everyone was doing their best to make his plans fail.

• 1Love
Reactions:
So now we see Eadweard start to grow a little bit, we see him starting to learn to think.

That is very important.

Reactions:
So now we see Eadweard start to grow a little bit, we see him starting to learn to think.

That is very important.

Eadweard is finally growing and trying to act more like a good king and not acting on impulse so much.

Reactions:
In fairness to Eadweard, most of his ancestors tended to be pale imitations of their predecessors at first but grew into the role. Only Knud only did well early on, and he had a regency to "learn". I guess Eilif did well enough, though he had has own issues.

And few better ways to ensure your realm stays loyal to you than to have all your lords fighting amongst each other.

Reactions:
In fairness to Eadweard, most of his ancestors tended to be pale imitations of their predecessors at first but grew into the role. Only Knud only did well early on, and he had a regency to "learn". I guess Eilif did well enough, though he had has own issues.

And few better ways to ensure your realm stays loyal to you than to have all your lords fighting amongst each other.

Knut had his Aunt Halla as regent and spymaster to guide him in the beginning. Eilif had to start strong as he had to rescue his father from a greedy and power hungry regent. His many affairs, however, created problems for him, his son, and even Eadweard.

If Eadweard's vassals do not unite they can never be strong enough to do anything to him.

Reactions:
Chapter 8.3.3 - May 1028 Siege Lines Around Burgh

May 1028
Siege Lines Around Burgh

With a smile on his face Eadweard gently placed the letter he just read on the table. Seeing the king’s good mood his squire, Ealdwine asked, “The queen writes of good tidings, Sire?”

Relaxed Eadweard leaned back in his chair, “Yes, she writes of attending the wedding of Ecgfrida and Prince Thierry of Aquitaine.”

Ealdwine smiled as he prepared the king’s armor. The king was going to take a tour of the siege lines with Emrys and Ealdmund. The spymaster had arrived after most of the camp had gone to bed last night with news. The king rose form the chair. As Ealdwine placed the king’s padding over his torso Ealdwine asked, “Ecgfrida isn’t she your Uncle Swæfræd’s daughter?”

kZPZFXf.png

Eadweard noted Ealdwine left out bastard in his question. As the squire tighten the straps on the padding Eadweard replied, “Yes she is. Someday she will be Queen of Aquitaine.”

As Ealdwine placed the king’s chainmail over him Eadweard thought to himself about how well he had done with marriages. His sister Ælfthryth was betrothed to the King of France, Ecgfrida was married to the next king of Aquitaine, and his older sister Wulfwaru was betrothed to the second in line to the crown of Galicia.

Just as Ealdwine finished placing the king’s tunic on the tent flap opened and the guard stuck his head in announcing, “Jarl Emrys and Jarl Ealdmund.”

The marshal and spymaster entered as the guard held the flap for them. Once they were in the tent the guard released and closed the flap. Emrys and Ealdmund exchanged greeting with Eadweard.

Ealdwine placed the king’s sword belt around the king’s waist. Eadweard adjusted the belt and tested the placement of the sword. When satisfied he indicated Ealdwine could tighten the belt.

Eadweard looked at Ealdmund and said, “I hope you were able to get a good night’s rest. I understand you arrived late.”

Ealdmund nodded, “Thank you, Sire. I did sleep well.”

Emrys indicated toward the tent door, “Shall we begin”

Eadweard nodded and the king and his counselors departed the tent.

As they walked to their first stop Eadweard asked Ealdmund, “What tidings do you bring?”

Ealdmund responded, “Count Åke of Westmorland has died from complications from the gout he had been suffering from for years.”

Eadweard nodded, “His under-age daughter, Wulfwyn is now countess?”

Impressed Eadweard knew who was Åke’s heir, Ealdmund nodded, “Yes she is.”

Watching some soldiers move by Eadweard asked, “Who is regent?”

Ealdmund replied, “Mayor Sigeræd of Lowther.”

Eadweard turned to look at Ealdmund, “Is he someone that can be trusted?”

Pulling his beard Ealdmund took a moment to think and then replied, “I believe he is.”

Eadweard said, “Let’s makes sure he stays that way.”

Ealdmund nodded, “Yes, Sire.”

They arrived at their first stop just in time to see a trebuchet release its projectile. Eadweard watched the flaming mass rise upward and arc downward. It slammed into the wall in a spectacular explosion. To Eadweard’s disappointment the only damage done was seemingly the scorching of some stones.

Seeing the king’s disappointment Emrys spoke, “The walls of Burgh are thick and strong with few flaws.”

Annoyed Eadweard asked, “Are we making any progress?”

Emrys nodded, “Yes we are.”

Eadweard replied, “Strange I do not see any.”

Emrys now annoyed responded, “Every time we strike the walls, we weaken them. You may not see the damage as it is either on the side opposite from us or deep inside where we can see. Slowly the damage is building and moving to our side of the wall. When it reaches our side, the wall will fail.”

Eadweard was tiring of hearing how the walls were being slowly destroyed over and over again, “I will be an old man by the time these walls fail at this rate.”

Noticing Emrys was getting red in the face from frustration and anger Ealdmund decided to divert the king’s attention, “King Nicolas III of France has found himself in another war.”

Quickly Eadweard turned to Ealdmund. He wanted nothing to ruin his plans for his sister’s marriage to the King of France, “Should we be concerned?”

Ealdmund shrugged his shoulders, “It is too early to tell. A Count Dietrich of Innsbruck declared a war for the claim of Helferich for the French crown.”

2skZnWE.png

Not knowing the claimant Eadweard asked, “Who is this Helferich?”

Ealdmund scratched his chin, “He is the brother of Count Dietrich.”

Perplexed Eadweard thought for a moment, “If I remember my geography lessons Innsbruck is far off in the Kingdom of Bavaria. Should the French crown have any worries about this Count Dietrich?”

Ealdmund shook his head, “His liege, Duchess Agnes of Tyrol, is supporting her liege, King Hermann of Bavaria in six wars. With the resources he has I do not see Dietrich fulfilling his obligations to Agnes and fighting the French crown at the same time.”

Eadweard turned back to watching the trebuchet crew ready the machine for another launch, “Keep an eye on the war. I do not wish anything to happen to my sister’s future husband.”

Ealdmund nodded, “I will, Sire.”

Eadweard looked at both Emrys and Ealdmund, “Will Ælfgar causes us any problems?”

Emrys nervously pulled his beard, “His levies are still recovering from the war with Earl Cathan. The few that are full strength are in Galicia aiding King Diogo. It will be some time before Ælfgar can threaten us.”

Eadweard replied, “I pray you are right.”

After a few moments of awkward silence Emrys spoke, “It is time to move to the next location.”

Emrys and the guards began to leave. As Eadweard began to follow Ealdmund called, “Your Highness a word.”

Surprised Eadweard turned, “Yes, what is it?”

Ealdmund took a breath and looked at the king, “The reason I came unannounced is due to the information I have received.”

Eadweard grinned, “I had thought so. What is this news?”

Ealdmund looked at Eadweard, “There is a plot to assassinate you.”

Eadweard chuckled, “I am king. There are always plots.”

Ealdmund shook his head, “This is different.”

Wondering why his spymaster was concerned as he was, Eadweard asked, “How is that?”

Ealdmund looked down at the ground and then back at Eadweard, “I can only catch whispers of this plot. Those involved are being very careful.”

Eadweard chuckled, “Perhaps you cannot find anything because there is nothing to find but hearsay and rumor.”

Annoyed Ealdmund shook his head, “I wish that were the case, milord. Several who were tasked to gather information about a plot have disappeared.”

Eadweard shrugged off the spymaster, “It is not unusual for those in your trade to take their coin and disappear.”

Ealdmund nodded, “That may be the case, but these men and women were those I could truly trust.”

Still not convinced Eadweard responded, “It sounds you trust was misplaced.”

With his annoyance showing in his voice though he tried to cover it Ealdmund replied, “it is hard for them to disappear when their bodies turn up in a dark alley or floating in a river.”

Eadweard looked concerned for a moment but it passed quickly. Half heartily he replied, “Find out what you can.”

Frustrated Ealdmund responded, “Yes, Sire.” By the time Ealdmund finished the king had turned and was walking away. Ealdmund shook his head feeling his efforts would be for naught.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I do feel sorry for Emrys - a royal pupil in practical military matters at this stage in his life.

Reactions:
I do feel sorry for Emrys - a royal pupil in practical military matters at this stage in his life.

Emrys has served the House of Hvistrek for many years and continues to do so despite Eadweard. It is Emrys' loyalty to the House of Hvitserk that keeps him going. Even with what is happening and his age he still has an important role to play.

Reactions:
Chapter 8.3.4 - October 1028 Djuraby, Djuraby

October 1028
Djuraby, Djuraby

To Eadweard the solar was stuffy and unwelcoming. It felt sterile, empty and unlived in which it was. The king sat at the table looking out the window at the wisps of autumn clouds floating in the morning sky taking sips of wine from the goblet he held. The room and the castle surrounding it were his as Count of Djuraby. His discomfort, however, came from this being only his second visit to the castle. A servant brought a pitcher of wine and sat on the table next to Eadweard. The king indicated to the servant he was no longer needed. The servant bowed and left.

A few moments later Ealdwine entered with a bishop. Eadweard looked at his squire who bowed and announced, “Sire, Bishop Wistan of Burton to see you.”

0RsEt1n.png

Eadweard grinned at Ealdwine and said, “Thank you. You are dismissed.”

Ealdwine bowed and walked out of the room leaving Wistan with the king. Eadweard looked over the bishop. In Eadwead’s absence from the county Wistan was the regent. From all the king heard and understood the bishop was an efficient and honest administrator. Lately, however, there were persistent whispering of the bishop embracing the Cathar heresy.

Wistan bowed, “I trust, Your Highness slept well.”

Eadweard indicated that Wistan should sit at the table. As the bishop sat Eadweard replied, “I had a restless sleep. The bed felt as if I was sleeping on was made of rocks.”

Wistan looked at Eadweard, “I am sorry to hear that. I shall have someone look at the bed.”

Eadweard offered wine which the bishop accepted. The bishop raised his cup in a toast, “I wish to offer my congratulations on the marriage of your sister Wulfwaru to Ingemar Diogues. I wish them a long marriage with many children.”

oZe65T1.png
g9B8cNd.png

Eadweard raised his goblet returning the toast, “Thank you, bishop.”

Wistan finished his sip and asked, “Is Ingemar not a son of King Diogo III of Galicia?”

Eadweard completed his sip and nodded, “He is. He is second in line to the crown of Galicia.”

Wistan smiled, “Having the King of Galicia as a brother-in-law could prove to be very fortuitous.”

Eadweard smiled, “We have thought so too. That is why we did not break the betrothal made by her mother when Wulfwaru dwelt with Crístina in Mide.”

Wistan nodded, “A wise decision, Sire.”

Eadweard sat back in the chair, “It will give us leverage against Ælfgar in a future conflict. We may even be able to bring Galicia into such a conflict on our side.”

Wistan finished his wine and placed the goblet on the table, “The war goes well?”

Eadweard still holding his goblet in his lap responded, “Yes it does.”

Wistan filled his goblet, “We had a concern when Bishop Ealdmund of Lincoln laid siege to Evensham down in Worcester. It was a great relief when the Ulsterian Dathgus mac Cummascach leading his countrymen and some local Jorvikian troops defeated Ealdmund at Droitwich.”

CjY6P0Z.png
zNEhzWu.png

Eadweard took a drink and placed the goblet on the table, “Now that Gainsborough and finally Burgh have fallen, I am told the war will be over soon.”

WRDA3eN.png
nhCAChG.png

Wistan smirked as he took a sip of wine, “You sound like you not believe.”

Eadweard looked at the bishop, “I have been told many lies by people who wish to see me fail. I take nothing as a truth until I see it happen.”

Wistan nodded, “I understand, Sire. There are always those who put their wants and needs before those of the kingdom.”

Eadweard refilled his goblet and took a sip from it, “They will all receive their just punishments one day.”

Wistan placed his goblet on the table and leaned toward the king, “As you have mentioned punishments have you examined the case, I requested your assistance?”

Eadweard smirk as he drank from his goblet, “You refer to the girl charged with witchcraft.”

Wistan nodded, “Yes, Sire.”

Eadweard looked at Wistan, “Are these cases generally not the jurisdiction of the church?”

Wistan looked at the king, “Yes they are except in cases involving powerful witchcraft such as this.”

Eadweard shrugged his shoulders, “She caused some crops to fail, some animals to be born still or with abnormalities. What is unusual about?”

Wistan was shocked, “Your Highness does not recall the gravest offenses?”

Eadweard who had not read the case at all now worried his lapse might be discovered replied, “I have had so much on my mind lately I have forgotten them.”

Seeing the shock on the bishop’s face he continued, “The war has been very stressful. And there is now the bad business going on between Countess Mildrith of Gloucester and her liege Jarl Wulfhelm of Gwynedd. Mildrith is threatening to revolt against Wulfhelm to replace him with his younger brother, Count Hlothere of Shrewsbury.”

Wistan recomposed himself, “I understand, Sire. The burdens of being king are great.”

Eadweard smiled, “Would you be kind enough to refresh my memory.”

Enthusiastically Wistan replied, “Of course, Sire. She caused the still birth of several of her neighbors’ babies and in two other cases caused babies to be born deformed. Mercifully the babies were called to God not long after their births.”

Shocked Eadweard responded, “I see. I assume she was questioned and tried fairly.”

Wistan shook his head, “There was no need for a trail, Sire, as she confessed fully.”

Eadweard raised an eyebrow, “Her sentence?”

Wistan replied bluntly, “Death.”

Eadweard looked questioningly at Wistan, “Then by all means hang her. It is well within the law for cases of witchcraft such as this you may do so.”

Wistan took a long drink and responded, “Normally we would have done so but due to the severity of the spells she cast burning at the stake is required.”

Still confused Eadweard said, “Why do you involve me? It is a matter for the church.”

Wistan looked at Eadweard, “The laws of Djuraby state only the Count of Djuraby can sentence someone to death by burning at the stake. You are Count of Djuraby and therefore must pass judgement.”

Not wanting to be bothered with this affair Eadweard said, “You are my regent and as such speak in my name.”

Wistan shook his head, “Regrettably the law is very clear and states that only the Count of Djuraby not a regent can pass this sentence.”

Just wanting this matter to go away Eadweard said, “Then I shall. Your witch is sentenced to die by being burned at the stake. Do you have the warrant?”

Overjoyed Wistan reached into the purse he carried and removed the warrant. Eadweard quickly signed and sealed the document. As he finished, he stated, “And may God have mercy on her soul.”

VYOGxDe.png
Kemn7Pv.png

Wistan said, “Thank you, Sire.”

Eadweard began to rise from the table, “There are no more matters you require my assistance with are there?”

Wistan rose also, “No, Sire.”

Eadweard nodded, “Good I must be on my way.”

Surprised Wistan replied, “I thought you were staying until Sunday.”

After dealing with the matter of the witch Eadweard had decided he would leave Djuraby three days earlier than he had originally planned, “I must return to the army in Cumberland.”

Wistan stood looking at the king in shock and disappointment. Eadweard put is hand on the bishop’s shoulder trying to reassure him, “I received word this morning Emrys expects a breakthrough in the siege of Carlisle.”

Wistan replied, “I understand. Godspeed, Your Majesty.”

Wistan bowed and walked from the solar.

Once Wistan was gone Ealdwine stepped into the room. Eadweard looked at him and said, “Tell the Captain of my guard to prepare to leave by noon.”

Surprised Ealdwine replied, “I thought we were staying a few more days.”

Giving Ealdwine aa look that stated he did not want to be challenged, Eadweard said, “I do not wish to be a part of the upcoming spectacle Wistan has planned. I wish to be far away from this place as quickly as we can.”

Ealdwine bowed, “It will be done, Sire.”

Eadweard watched his squire leave. For the first time he felt it was better to be in a battle than where he was now.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I chuckled at the disparity between the event text and the bishop's testimony to the King. I do enjoy such shenanigans

Reactions:
I chuckled at the disparity between the event text and the bishop's testimony to the King. I do enjoy such shenanigans

As time passes we will find that Wistan is full of shenanigans.

Reactions:
Chapter 8.3.5 - February 1029 Carlisle, Cumberland

February 1029
Carlisle, Cumberland

Emrys approached Ealdmund who stood alone in the center of the church. The spymaster was pacing about like a panther on the prowl, waiting for the ceremony to begin. Knowing Ealdmund worried over every last detail Emrys shook his head admiring his long-time council mate and his diligence.

Smiling Emrys said, “I see as usual you are the first to arrive.”

Ealdmund chuckled, “As you know I like to observe the setting when it is empty. One can learn so much.”

Emrys shook his head as smiled, “Always the spymaster. You are aware the king has guards who watch out for his safety.”

Ealdmund nodded and chuckled, “They do so in the light. I do so in the shadows.”

Emrys bowed and signaled his approval to his friend, “He we are two old men in the service of a young king who resists our counsel at every turn. But in the interest of the kingdom we go forth no matter.”

Ealdmund laughed, “Look at us two. An old Welsh warrior and an Anglo-Saxon scoundrel watching over a Nordic king. The Lord does work in mysterious ways.”

Emrys seemed to drift off, “I shall never forget that cold day in February almost thirty years ago in the siege lines outside of Bangor Fawr in a tavern where I swore my oaths to King Eilif. In a tavern never the less.” Turning somber, “I was with Eilif in the ruins of Bangor Fawr when that dog mauled him on his way to accept the surrender of Count Cynwrig of Gwynedd.”

Ealdmund too was somber, “As Chancellor for Jarl Anlaufr of Powys I was spared the horrors of Bangor Fawr.”

Emrys smirked, “You were lucky. The sight of the bodies of those killed not by our troops but by the henchmen of Cynwrig strewn about the city haunt me to this day.”

Now it was Ealdmund’s turn to be melancholy as he said, “Furness.”

Confused Emrys looked at Ealdmund, “What of Furness?”

Ealdmund sighed, “Furness to me is like Bangor Fawr is too you. The battlefield at Furness is where my demons torture me in my sleep. For you it was a great victory. You crushed Anlaufr and the rebel army. For me it was a hell on earth to escape. During the rout I found myself waking up after I had been unhorsed on that bloody field. Everywhere I turned were the broken bodies of my levies from Bedford. Somehow, I escaped the patrols of Prince Hlothere and made my way to Preston. There what was left of my troops found me and we decided we had enough of the foolish revolt, and we marched home to Bedford.”

Emrys put his hand on Ealdmund’s shoulders, “Those were truly dark days. But now you have been and are the Spymaster of Jorvik.”

Ealdmund chuckled, “Yes thanks to Siweard. Through his support after Rædwald stripped Anlaufr of his titles I became Jarl of Powys and when Siweard passed Rædwald made me Spymaster.”

Emrys grinned and removed his hand. He became very somber, “I offer my deepest sympathy for the loss of your father. Thurfrith had a long life.”

yf2CQ18.png

Ealdmund nodded, “He did have a long and interesting life from marrying my mother Cyneswith who was the great love of King Eilif. It is a shame she died young. Perhaps things would have been different.”

Emrys was confused and seeing the confusion Ealdmund continued, “I curse the day he married Countess Maria of Hereford. Her rebellion against Rædwald forever marked my father. The king never trusted him as did many others. Treated as a pariah he moved from court to court for many years before I was able to convince him to return to Bedford.”

Emrys smiled, “At least he was a peace when he passed.”

As tears welled Ealdmund nodded, “Yes he was.”

Desperately wanting to change the subject Emrys smiled, “I hear the Galician has got himself another war.”

Ealdmund nodded, “A Duke Pelaio of Portucale has declared a war for Adelfonso’s Claim on Asturias de Oviedo.”

EwumH0q.png

Emrys chuckled, “Has he dragged our English brother into the war?”

Ealdmund shook his head, “Not yet, but one would think he will.”

Emrys watched as a few others entered the church. Given the reputations of Emrys and Ealdmund that bordered on legendary the new attendees hung back. One of the newcomers, however, did approach them and he too could be counted as a legend.

Emrys watched the man approach, “Here comes our Lord Chancellor Strula.”

Strula smiled as he reached Emrys and Ealdmund. The three Counselors exchanged greetings.

Ealdmund looked at Strula and asked, “How go the negotiations for the betrothal of Prince Eilif?”

Strula grinned, “They go well. The king will soon announce the prince’s betrothal to Princess Sigrid, the daughter of King Geirr of Norge.”

Ealdmund looked around the room seeing more and more people filing in he said, “The guest of honor must be nearing”

Emrys nodded, “Eadweard has been waiting for a long time. After Dathgus mac Cummascach and his combined army of Ulsterians and Jorvikians defeated Count Eadwine at Clonmacnoise Eadweard thought Eadwine would surrender then. The slippery count made his way here to Carlisle.”

Ealdmund nodded, “Now with the fall of Carlisle we are here.”

GfQxxwq.png
d4DEOoR.png

Strula looked at Emrys, “What happened to Count Eadwine?”

Emrys laughed, “This time his escape was thwarted.”

Intrigued Strula asked, “How?”

Emrys smirked, “It seems his own subjects tired of the him and the war. He thought he was escaping with a group of merchants arranged by Bishop Ecgfrith of this here bishopric but instead was delivered to Eadweard’s guards.”

EdSkfrt.png

An hour later the church was bustling with people. The vast majority were those who fought with King Eadweard. His commanders, Öysteinn Sumarliðisson, Mayor Ulfcytel of Newcastle, and Baron Vagn of Warwick, stood in a place of honor near the dais. Along with them stood the highly respected Ulsterian commander, Dathgus mac Cummascach. Also, in the crowd were other prominent lords who had fought in the war such as Prince Sigeberht; Padren ap Emrys, son of Earl Emrys; and Jarl Hlothere of Man. Missing were Mayor Uhtræd of Skardaborg and Harold who were besieging Lincoln.

In a small section the council of Cumberland was herded. Chancellor Mayor Eantrith of Penrith and Court Chaplin Bishop Stamford of Stamford spoke to one another in hushed tones. Marshal Bishop Ecgfrith of Carlisle leaned against a column with his arms folded on his chest lost in his thoughts. Steward Mayor Loefwine of Boston along with Eadwine’s son Bishop Ealdmund of Lincoln were trapped in the besieged Bishopric of Lincoln. Spymaster, son and heir of Eadwine, Leoweald had thus far eluded capture and was rumored to be somewhere in Tyrconnell.

Silence suddenly fell over the gathering as Ealdmund, Emrys, and Strula entered the church and took up their positions on the dais. King Eadweard followed them and climbed the steps to the throne. As the audience bowed, he took his seat upon the throne. He motioned for Ealdmund and the spymaster approached the throne. Ealdmund leaned over ant the king spoke to him. The spymaster nodded and smiled.

He stood straight and turned to the audience. He took a couple of steps away from the king and announced, “Bring forth the prisoner.”

After a few moments several guards appeared escorting an elderly man in irons. The man could only take small steps given his age and the weight and length of the chains around his ankles. The guards encouraged him to move faster with the butts of their halberds. Once he was at the foot of the dais several of the guards forced him to his knees. The guards stepped back.

Ealdmund looked down at the man, “Count Eadwine Siweardson Stawell of Cumberland.”

Eadwine looked up at Ealdmund with eyes full of hate but he remained silent.

Ealdmund smiled, “You have defied your king and lawful liege.”

In a voice filled with venom Eadwine replied, “Defending one’s land against a thief is not defiance.”

Eadweard motioned and one the guards slapped Eadwine across the face. The Count nearly fell over but with some effort remained upright. He wiped a trickle of blood from the corner of his mouth.

Eadweard spoke, “The lands you have are at the discretion of the king.”

With defiance Eadwine replied, “Lincoln has been in our house for generations.”

Eadweard shook his head, “It could have remained so if you had only done as you were asked.”

Eadwine glared at Eadweard, “I was given no choice and you had no justification.”

Eadweard was beginning to tire of this conversation, “Lincoln is a de jure county of the Jarldom of Jorvik and as I am Jarl of Jorvik it is a de jure county of my jarldom. Your actions prevented the return of the county to its true place.”

Eadwine was going to protest but a guard silenced him with the butt of his halberd to the count’s back. This time he fell to the floor.

Eadweard smirked looking at the crumbled man on the floor, “Therefore the title of Count of Lincoln is revoked.”

dQFzpy1.png

Eadwine struggled back to the kneeling position. He looked at Eadweard through eyes full of intense hatred.

Eadweard continued, “In addition your title of Count of Cumberland is hereby revoked.”

Eadwine’s eyes became wide and his lips quivered with anger.

Eadweard did not notice Eadwine’s reaction, “You will be taken from here and placed in stocks each day until the royal party leaves Carlisle. You will then be taken from Carlisle and brought to Burgh and placed in the stocks there for everyday for two weeks.”

5S07eSh.png

Eadwine shook his head and cried out, “No!” The guards grabbed him and lifted him to stand. He struggled as they forced him out of the church. Just as he was forced through the doors he yelled, “I shall have my vengeance. I curse you Eadweard Hvitserk.” His outburst earned him a strike on the back of the head from a halberd which lead to him falling and rolling down the steps of the church.

The guards brought him to his feet and as he was dragged to the town square, he could be heard shouting, “Leofweald, my son, avenge me!”

• 1Love
Reactions: