• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 5.3.6 August 953 Siege Lines Outside of Tir Eoghain Tribe, County of Tir Eoghain, High Chiefdom of Mide
28 August 953 Siege Lines Outside of Tir Eoghain Tribe, County of Tir Eoghain, High Chiefdom of Mide

Sigfrið, Count Eadmund, and Mayor Klas of Preston were finishing what was amounting to a victory dinner.

Sigfrið spoke, “At last with the surrender of High Chief Conlang of Mide today we finally have peace and another tributary.”

ngbN5vE.png

Eadmund said, “The final blow came when Klas took Cluain Mhie Nóis six days ago.” He turned to Klas and said, “You did some hard riding to get here afterward.”

Klas who was still recovering from the trip to Tir Eoghain, “i felt I needed to be with my king. The rest of the army would have been here in another two weeks. Now we will make provisions to sail them back to Jorvik.”

Sigfrið then asked, “Any new word on Mercia?”

Eadmund answered, “Oswine is having more and more difficulties with the siege at Ludlow. He is barely progressing at this point as his army is getting smaller and smaller. Prince Klas’ army began besieging Leicester about a month ago. They seemed to be making more progress than Oswine.”

Sigfrið feeling the effects of the wine he was drinking raised his wine filled goblet, “A toast to my half-brother Prince Birger, Earl of East Anglia and Count of Norfolk on his marriage to Anna, daughter of Count Ingemar of Northumberland.”

SePVXKY.png
vP6MTmw.png

Eadmund said, “May their marriage be long and have many sons.”

Klas said, “Here, here.”

The revelry carried on well into the night.

The next morning Sigfrið awoke feeling the effects of too much wine the night before. After he dressed and walked into the common area of the tent he found Klas standing there.

Sigfrið took a look at the old warrior who seemed fresh and ready for battle, “Doesn’t anything bother you.”

Klas said, “Not much, milord. I am an old soldier and used to many discomforts.”

Sigfrið said, “the fact that you are here this early cannot be good news.”

Klas said, “Unfortunately you are correct. A message came from Queen Emma this morning.”

Sigfrið said, “What is it?”

Klas said, “Count Ceolwulf of Suffolk has declared a revolt against Princer Birger, Jarl of East Anglia to Increase Council Power on October 16th.”

HwFHLPq.png

Sigfrið sighed, “Well that didn’t take long for the former regent to turn on his former charge. What is Birger been on his own for a little over a year now? What are Ceolwulf’s chances.”

Klas said, “Hard to tell both sides can raise about 800 troops each. This could be a long drawn out thing.”

Sigfrið said, “Time to get back to Jorvik.”

Klas said, “Yes milord.” He saluted and began to leave.

Sigfrið stopped him, “I almost forgot. You have been thinking about what we spoke about a couple of months ago?”

Klas said, “Yes milord.”

Sigfrið asked, “How are they coming along?”

Klas responded, “It is taking time but we should have something soon.”

Sigfrið said, “Good we will discuss them in detail when we arrive back in Jorvik. We need to strike at England while they are weak and bring them back into the fold.”

Klas said, “Yes milord, I will have them ready for when we get back to Jorvik.”

Klas left the tent shaking his head.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.3.7 25 December 953 Jorvik
25 December 953 Jorvik

Prince Birger had been avoiding his brother since his arrival three days ago. Today Birger and his wife attended Christmas Mass and sat several pews from the king and his wife. Now, however, he had received an invite to attend a small reception with the king before the Yule feast. As much as he wanted to he could not refuse the invite.

When Prince Birger entered the king’s private audience chambers all his fears were realized. Only King Sigfrið, Marshal Mayor Klas of Preston, and Spymaster Count Ingemar of Northumberland, his father-in-law were present.

Ingemar saw the Prince and said, “Come, come Prince Birger have a drink,” offering him a goblet of wine.

Birger nervously drank the wine and tried to follow the conversation between Sigfrið and Klas. The king and the marshal seemed to take no notice of the prince.

Ingemar asked, “Are you well? No lasting injuries I hope?”

Birger responded, “No”. Birger did not want to talk or even think about the events of the last month or so. Count Ceolwulf of Suffolk lead a revolt against him to force Birger to grant more power to his council. Birger proudly lead his troops into battle against the rebels at the Bishopric of Ely. The day did not go well. Ceolwulf was the better general and tricked Birger into making mistakes. Before Birger knew it he was knocked off his horse and captured. As a result he was forced to grant the rebels’ demands.

Sigfrið turned and looked at his younger half-brother, “How are you?”

Birger answered, “I am doing well.”

Sigfrið said, “That is good.”

Birger sighed, “Let’s get this over with.”

Sigfrið said, “Get what over with?”

Birger said, “The fact that I was beaten by Ceolwulf, got myself captured, and had to give into his demands.”

Sigfrið said, “Well since you brought it up. How did you get in that situation?”

Birger said “I was mislead and tricked.”

Sigfrið said, “No you were a fool and you were weak. You did not listen.”

Birger said, “How was I weak? I am the Jarl of East Anglia.”

Sigfrið said, “A title is nothing unless you back it up with strength.You allowed your Council and vassals to push you around. You are far too trusting”

Birger said, “I did not have a choice on my council. Father and you appointed them.”

Sigfrið said, “Do not blame us. The Counselors were put there to teach you. Once you became ruler on your own you could replace those who did not support you.”

Birger said, “How could I replace Ceolwulf? He is the Count of Suffolk and very powerful.”

Sigfrið said, “You should and will need to gather those around you that will support you and oppose Ceolwulf. Do not let others boast your pride and position with false praise and promises. Learn who you can truly trust and those you need to watch.”

Birger stood silently and glared at Sigfrið.

Sigfrið continued, “What happen at Ely? What did your marshal advise?”

Birger said, “He advised not to attack.”

Sigfrið said, “And what did you do?”

Birger said sheepily, “Attack.”

Sigfrið said, “Why?”

Birger said, “I saw an opening and thought we could exploit it.”

Sigfrið said, “And in a rash moment you lost your army, your freedom, and the war. You are young listen to your Marshal when it comes to war. Unlike me you have not had an opportunity to be in battle before you became a ruler. I fought alongside father and his marshals. I even fought alongside Count Ceolwulf. I take the advice of my marshal into consideration when I need to make a decision about a war or battle.”

Birger replied, “yes, brother.”

Just then Queen Emma and Birger’s wife Duchess Anna entered the chambers. Emma said, “Pardon us but whatever earth shattering discussion is going on in here must come to an end. The feast is ready but it is missing it’s most important participants.”

Sigfrið said, “Of course my Queen.” He walked over and took her by the arm, “Lead on.” Sigfrið and Emma headed toward the banquet hall.

Anna came up and took Birger by the arm and silently lead him. Birger was full of confusion. His brother told him to be strong and not to trust. Then he told him to trust the advice of others and not to be so bold. Birger cursed his youth and the position it placed him in. Then again may be Sigfrið was being the callous-know-it-all brother he had always been.

• 1Love
Reactions:
So with Eanhere's passing the old powers are pretty much gone.

But Sigfrið seems to be quite secure restoring Jorvik's influence to the small realms about the place.

Am I wrong, but didn't Sigfrið make a similar error to Birger a few years before he became King, and had a similar dressing down from Knut?

Reactions:
So with Eanhere's passing the old powers are pretty much gone.

Am I wrong, but didn't Sigfrið make a similar error to Birger a few years before he became King, and had a similar dressing down from Knut?

Yes he did. Sigfrið's error cost the life of the army commander. Since then he has not lead an army. On occasion he has been a flank commander. Question is will Birger learn as Sigfrið did.

Do not count Eanhere's relatives out. There is still one close relative that has a part to play. The House of Northumbria is not yet done with House of Hvitserk. (Opps little spoiler there).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Sigfrið seems to be trying too hard to be his father. But he lacks the skill for it. And such things will do nothing but earn him more and more enemies among his court (and family).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 5.4.1 May 954 Jorvik
Chapter 5.4

zfcLXzt.png

May 954 Jorvik

Sigfrið was enjoying the early May spring day. He stood on the balcony of his private audience chambers taking in the view and cool breezes. He heard as someone entered the chambers. The person walked out onto the balcony.

Sigfrið greeted the person, “Marshal Klas what brings you here on this fine spring morning where the birds are chirping happy songs.”

Klas smiled, “The birds may chirp a little louder.”

Sigfrið said, “What news do you bring.”

Klas said, “It appears that England has another mess on its hands.”

Sigfrið said, “It does.”

Klas said, “Yes apparently Earl Ælfweard of Lothian thinks so highly of his position that he has begun another war even while the war his brother King Eanhere started for him and his nephew King Ælfwald continued for Earl Ælfweard’s claim on Fife against King Robert of Scotland still rages.”

Sigfrið said, “And who is his newest victim?”

Klas responded, “His liege Duchess Cuthburg of Lothian.”

Sigfrið asked, “And for what great cause?”

Klas said, “To increase Council Power.”

Sigfrið said, “Talk about playing into our hands.”

Klas said, “It would appear so.”

Sigfrið remarked, “King Ælfwald will be distracted with all the internal issues in his northern counties it will make things easier for us.”

Klas said, “Yes, milord.” The old marshal had his doubts but knew better than to express them now.

Late May was being very rainy. The current storm had been going on for three days now. It was just another one in a series that had struck over the last two weeks. Everyone including the king were in gloomy moods.

Today Sigfrið was trying to relax in his private library when Count Ingemar of Northumberland entered the room.

Sigfrið said, “Spymaster I would have thought you be in sunnier climes doing your spying than in this gloomy, soggy place.”

Ingemar said, “Normally I would, milord, but events make it that I need to be here.”

Sigfrið asked, “What events would those be?”

Ingemar said, “I fear we have a traitor in our midst.”

Sigfrið was surprised, “What. Who?”

Ingemar said, “The individual has been giving information regarding our plans for England to agents for the King of England. He has been passing this information onto several people who are posing as merchants but are actually in the employ of Mayor Ealdhun of Southampton, Spymaster for King Ælfwald.”

Sigfrið angrily asked, “What information?”

Ingemar responded, “What our intentions are. When we plan to attack and where. More troublesome is your schedule and routines. Information that a possible assassin could use.”

Sigfrið asked with venom in his voice, “Who is this traitor?”

Ingemar replied, “Pirkoi of Bata”

Sigfrið reacted as if he was punched in the gut, “The Court Physician?”

Ingemar answered, “I am afraid so, milord.”

Sigfrið asked, “Are you sure?” He could not believe that someone who had been a trusted member of his father’s court and his court could betray them.

Ingemar said, “I personally witnessed him passing the information to the so called merchants. The merchants were followed and later passed the information on to Mayor Ealdhun’s second in command. The merchants were later questioned and revealed the ring of traitors.”

Sigfrið recovered and then in a chilling voice, “Find him and arrest him.”

Ingemar said, “Yes,milord.” After taking his leave the Spymaster hurried off to follow his king’s orders.

Three days later Sigfrið and Ingemar journeyed to the dungeons. There they found Pirkoi changed to a wall. He was captured the night before and had finished a questioning session a short time before Sigfrið and Ingemar arrived. Unlike his father Sigfrið was not comfortable in the dungeons or the torture chamber but he wanted to know why a long time trusted member of the court betrayed him.

Pirkoi saw them arriving and looked up despite being exhausted and barely able to see through swollen eyes. His speech came with some difficulty due to his bruised face and lips. “I am sorry, my king. I am sorry.”

BhKLvyB.png

Sigfrið asked, “Why, Pirkoi, after all that my father and I have done for you? You were the Physician to the greatest house of Britain.”

Pirkoi weekly answered, “I had no choice. They would have destroyed me and killed Princess Bodil if I did not do as they said.”

Sigfrið said, “I do not understand.”

Pirkoi said, “I have a great weakness for the flesh and games of chance. I became heavily indebted to one of the houses that provide both. I was cornered one night and give a choice to either pay my debts or die. However, I was offered a reprieve if I did certain tasks that were asked of me.”

Ingemar said, “You should have come to me.”

Pirkoi said, “I could not. They threatened to kill Princess Bodil f I did. I brought her into this world I could not let anything happen to her.”

Sigfrið said, “How would they harm her?”

Pirkoi said, “They did not tell me anything specific only hints. They did say that they had a hand in your half sister’s Queen Alfhildr wife of King Nicolas of France death.”

9rcgJxu.png

Sigfrið said, “She died of tumors from a cancer.”

Pirkoi said, “I said the same, but they insisted. Saying that how does one who has only seen 18 years die of such a disease unless it was given to her.”

Ingemar said, “And you believed them?”

Pirkoi said, “I was a learned physician, spymaster. I know of many herbs and plants that can cause such a thing. There are also other methods used by certain individuals that involve things we don’t want to know about.”

Ingemar said, “witches and such?”

Pirkoi said, “Your words not mine.”

Sigfrið had heard enough. He turned and left with Ingemar following behind.

Once they were out of the dungeons Ingemar said, “Fool. How can someone so learned fall for such tales.”

Sigfrið said, “I do not know. Get the information you need from him and destroy this spy ring. Try not to kill or cripple him. When he is of no more use make sure he is cared for. His past service warrants that at the least.”

Ingemar responded, “Yes, milord.”

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.4.2 August 954 Richmond/Border of Jorvik and Leicester
15 August 954 Richmond

Sigfrið had moved the court from Jorvik to his Baronry of Richmond for the month of August. This morning Sigfrið was trying to get some hunting done. So far they had seen several deer but no one had been able to get a good shot at one. They had just come upon another clearing and there was a deer that had not seen them. Sigfrið slowly and quietly drew back an arrow. He aimed carefully and fired. The arrow struck the deer in the neck. The animal ran off with the king’s party following. After running about a quarter of a mile the deer succumbed to its wound and fell over dead.

Sigfrið was accepting the praise of the other members of the hunting party when suddenly there was a commotion in the woods behind them. After Pirkoi’s betrayal everyone was on edge and the guards quickly surrounded Sigfrið. Out of the woods burst two riders at a full gallop. The guards tensed until the riders were recognized as Marshal Mayor Klas and Court Chaplin Ivar.

The two brought their horses to a halt. They dismounted and went over to the king.

Sigfrið said, “Why the urgency and what is so important?”

Klas said, “Your brother Klas has died.”

Sigfrið closed his eyes and and took a couple of deep breath, “When?”

Klas said, “six days ago.”

Sigfrið said, “How?”

Ivar said, “He had been battling dysentery for the last several months. He apparently had another episode and he had grown so weak from previous bouts that he could not survive the latest one.”

udAxtSi.png

Sigfrið was silent for a few moments. “What of Count Oswine?”

Klas said, “Nothing has changed . He is still besieging Ludlow.”

Sigfrið said, “Since I am now Jarl of Mercia, and Count of Warwick, Worcester, and Shrewsbury I will need to address it.”

He then looked at Klas, “Raise my levies in Jorvik and Lancaster. Inform my brothers Birger and Totil to raise the levies in the Jarldoms of East Anglia, and Lancaster.”

Klas responded, “As you wish milord.”

Sigfrið said “I want to be invading Leicester and relieving Ludlow by the end of the month.”

28 August 954 at the Border of Jorvik and Leicester

Sigfrið, Marshal Klas, and Count Eadmund of Bedford rode toward the men waiting under the flag of truce. The waiting men watched nervously as the Jorvikian cavalry approached the border. The king and his party neared the three men. The king halted his horse and dismounted followed by his marshal and the count.

Sigfrið recognized the three men. There was the Chancellor of Leicester, Mayor Hacon of Nottingham; the Marshal of Leicester Þegan Onlaf of Southwell; and Steward of Leicester, Bishop Gospatric of Newstead.

Mayor Hacon spoke first, “I bring you greeting and bid you welcome from Count Oswine of Leicester.”

Sigfrið asked, “Where is Count Oswine?”

Hacon responded, “He was delayed and is truly sorry that he could make it in time for this meeting. He does send his thanks for you agreeing to meet.”

Sigfrið said, “Say what you have to say.”

Hacon said, “Count Oswine deeply regrets that the war had to happen. He has no quarrel with you. His dispute was with Prince Klas. Now that Prince Klas has died the reason for this war is no more and Count Oswine has ordered his levies home. He hopes that you will do the same.”

Sigfrið said, “Does the count recognize me as the Jarl of Mercia and as such his true liege?”

Hacon said, “He does.”

Sigfrið said, “I fully expect him to swear his fealty to me in person within the next five days.”

Hacon seemed surprised by the condition. “I will convey your orders and I am sure he will comply.”

Sigfrið said, “I and my troops will continue on to the city of Nottingham. I fully expect the city gates to be open and the city welcoming to their king. Count Oswine can swear his fealty there.”

Sigfrið did not wait for a response. He spun around and walked back to his horse. He mounted the horse and with Klas and Eadmund rode back to the Jorvikian troops leaving the three representatives stunned.

As they rode back Sigfrið turned to Klas, “That coward could not show his face.”

Klas said, “He probably feared that you would arrest him.”

Sigfrið said, “Why shouldn’t I? I hold him responsible for the death of my 13 year old brother.”

Eadmund said, “I am guessing he would have been safe today as here and now was not the right time.

Sigfriðsaid, “That is a good observation.”

Eadmund said, “When you do arrest him, which I am guessing will be after he swears loyalty to you, what will happen to his counties?”

Sigfrið smiled, “They will have to be overseen by someone who has shown true loyalty to their king.”

Eadmund smiled the rest of the way back to the troops.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.4.3 September 954 Nottingham
2 September 954 Nottingham

Count Oswine of Leicester entered the public hall of the city of Nottingham. Oswine felt secure in his position. His overtures to the king had paid off and he escaped with nothing less than a chiding and perhaps a small fine. The Jarldom of Mercia would be his someday. It would have been his in a few months if Klas had not died and King Sigfrið inherited the Jarldom. It did not matter who ever was placed as Jarl, Oswine would conquer. All would be his in time.

Count Eadmund of Bedford watched his brother as he approached the dias with the king. Arrogant fool thought Eadmund. He thinks he got away with it. He mistakenly thinks the king is weak and foolish. He has listened and learned all the wrong lessons from our father, Prince Basileios of the Byzantine Empire. The great prince who died in his Emperor’s dungeons because he was truly clueless how the world truly worked. Oswine has no idea what is to come. Eadmund then thought of himself. I need to be patient and a loyal vassal and I will receive my rewards and Mercia will be back under our family banners with the grace and protection of the king.

Oswine approached the king. Once he was at the foot of the dias he stopped and took a knee.

Sigfrið spoke, “Oswine Wiglafing, Count of Leicester and Count of Hereford, what do you say?”

Oswine answered, “I, Oswine Count of Leicester and Hereford swear my loyalty and fealty to King Sigfrið of Jorvik.”

Sigfrið said, “I accept your loyalty and fealty Count Oswine. Now rise.”

Oswine rose. A few people in the audience applauded. Eadmund noticed guards moving to positions around and near Oswine.

Sigfrið then stood. “Count Oswine I feel that a test of your loyalty and fealty is warranted.”

Oswine thinking he improve his position more said, “I will take whatever test you feel is necessary, my king.”

Sigfrið then smiled, “Place yourself under arrest and surrender to the guards that now stand by you.”

Oswine’s eyes opened wide in surprise. He turned and looked to only see the King’s Guard standing around him. The Captain of the Guard was directly behind him. There was an audible gasp from the room.

Oswine protested, “Milord this not fair or funny.”

Sigfrið said, “It not meant to be fair or funny. You swore your loyalty and fealty and I gave you an order to prove it. Are you denying the oath you just swore before all these people and God?”

Oswine looked sick. The king had outmaneuvered him. He bowed his head and offered his arms. A guard produced shackles and placed them on Oswine’s wrist. There was a murmur from the room.

Sigfrið then addressed the room, “Do any dare defy me? I am your lawful king. And if that is not enough remember there are 7000 soldiers loyal to the king in and around this city.”

The audience answered with silence.

Sigfrið turned to Oswine, “Did you truly think you would escape untouched and unpunished. You rose in revolt against your lawful liege, my brother Prince Klas, Jarl of Mercia. Your actions directly resulted in his death.”

Oswine started to protest but after looking at Sigfrið’s face decided against it.

Sigfrið then ordered, “Guards take him away to the dungeons of Jorvik.”

The guards saluted and removed Oswine from the room.

As Oswine was being left out Eadmund positioned himself so his brother would see him. He made sure that his cloak and insignia of a commander of Jorvik was very noticeable. Oswine saw him and his symbols. Oswine glared back at his brother. Eadmund smiled back.

b8cBvpD.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.4.4 October 954 Bamborg, County of Northumberland
15 October 954 Bamborg, County of Northumberland

Sigfrið sat on the dias with Queen Emma alongside of him in the chairs that the Count and Countess of Northumberland would normally sit in. Today the king and queen were visiting Northumberland on official business. The gathering had been called to make several important announcements.

Count Eadmund of Bedford was in attendance. He was hoping to hear King Sigfrið speak about the status of Eadmund’s brother Count Oswine’s holdings. Eadmund coveted those holdings and was hoping that the king would use them as a reward for Eadmund’s service. As he mingled within the crowd he found himself next to Countess Sæthryth wife of Count Barid of Perfeddwlad.

RMTd1iS.png

Sæthryth said, “I understand you betrayed your brother.”

Eadmund was shocked at the statement, “I did not betray him I stood with my king.”

Sæthryth said, “A good scripted answer.”

Eadmund said, “My brother was a fool. He believed that he could take by force something that was lost by our mother and father. If he had not listened to my father he would have seen that trying to become Jarl of Mercia was a fool’s errand.”

Sæthryth said, “So you and your king say.”

Eadmund said, “Even if Oswine won the Jarldom of Mercia how long would he kept the title. Sooner or later Sigfrið would take revenge on him. My mother with all the vassals loyal to her could not stand against the armies of Jorvik. I doubt my brother would have had support from more than a handful of vassals. The outcome was fated long ago. He would be killed or find himself sitting in a dungeon cell as he is now doing.”

Sæthryth said, “Your way is better. Sell your pride and become Sigfrið’s lapdog.”

Eadmund said, “This comes from the women who sold out her daughter who was the rightful countess so your future husband could become count.”

Sæthryth said in a eerily calm voice, “I did what was necessary to maintain myself and protect my future husband in a time when he was betrayed by his father and had enemies behind every corner. My daughter never understood how important my survival was for the county. She refused to listen and I addressed her insolence.”

Eadmund thought coldhearted and asked, “Was it worth it?”

Sæthryth answered without hesitation, “Yes. I have had a good life. I have been lavished with my needs and wants. Should it have been better? By all means if it weren’t for my husband.”

Eadmund was both revolted but intrigued by the countess, “Why do say it should have been better?”

Sæthryth responded, “He is a fool like you. He bent a knee first to Knut and then Sigfrið. He lead a very successful raid to the Mediterranean for Knut. As a matter of fact it was the last raid undertaken by the crown. His reward; a good job done from the king, a few gold coins, and a quick dismissal when something more interesting came along. He has lead armies and won many battles for the kings of Jorvik. Again what does he have to show for it? No new counties or jarldom as he was promised. They were dangled in front of him like bait that is tied to a dog to make it run a race. No position on Council was ever offered to him despite him being more qualified than several who currently occupy positions on it.”

Eadmund said, “I do not see how that concerns me.”

Sæthryth said, “Are you sure? Don’t you follow orders of your king no matter what they are? You travel with him and many times are called to do his dirty work. He dangles false promises of titles before you like bait.”

Eadmund said, “I follow him because he is my liege and king.”

Sæthryth said, “Truly. Look deep down into yourself and I think you will find a different answer.”

Eadmund looked away for a moment to digest what Sæthryth said. When he turned back she was gone. Eadmund was now full of doubts. Was he being played the fool as she suggested? Would he ever achieve his goals for someday he would have to fight for it?

Suddenly the hall was filled with a pounding sound as the Crier brought the room to attention.

Sigfrið was now standing. On the steps of the dias was Bishop Bersi of St Peters, Bishop Yngvar of Lindisfarne and Bishop Alfgeir of Morpeth. The bishops represented the Church in what was about to happen. On the steps on the other side was Chancellor Ceolwulf of Northampton.

Sigfrið then began speaking, “I King Sigfrið of Jorvik do hereby declare that through the right of conquest and with the blessing of the Church I am not the rightful and lawful Jarl of Jarldom of Northumberland.”

The room burst into applause.

OHtLeu6.png

The Crier then called, “Count Ingemar of Northumberland, Countess Gurli of Dunholm, and Countess Leofrun of Cumberland step forward and swear your loyalty and fealty to your new Jarl. The three lords stepped forward and took a knee before the king/jarl and made their oaths of loyalty and fealty. Sigfrið accepted them and they returned to their places.

Sigfrið then spoke, “In recognition of his long and faithful service to both my father and myself I hereby grant the Jarldom of Northumberland to Count Ingemar of Northumberland. Jarl Ingemar step forth and swear your loyalty and fealty as Jarl of Northumberland.”

Ingemar stepped forward and swore his oath. Next Gurli and Leofrun swore their oaths to Jarl Ingemar.

Once all the oaths and ceremony were done the room erupted into applause and cheers.

Eadmund did neither. He stood in deep thought. The words of Sæthryth kept running through his mind. As he left the hall he thought, Maybe it is time to curtail the power of the king. He has too much authority. The time maybe coming where Council needs to have more say in how the kingdom is run.

In that moment even though he did not realize it the faction to Increase Council Power in Jorvik was born with Eadmund as the leader. Since he was so deep in thought he did not notice Sæthryth standing watching him with a sinister smile on her face.

vQ2HT08.png

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.4.5 March 955 Jorvik/July 955 Bedford
22 March 955 Jorvik

Sigfrið sat at the table in his library with the documents spread out before him. Bishop Bersi of St Peters stood over him. Count Jedvard of Gloucester, Steward of Jorvik stood before the table. Bersi pointed to the place on the document where Sigfrið needed to sign and seal.

Sigfrið asked, “The Church has approved this?”

Bersi replied, “Yes, milord, as required I have place my signature and seal to show the approval of the Church.”

Sigfrið said, “Very good.” Sigfrið signed the documents and then dribbled wax on them for the candle on the table. He then pressed his ring and seal into the wax.

Bersi then picked up the documents and examined them and blew on the wax seal to cool it. Next he handed the documents to several attendants that were waiting. Bersi then said, “One document will remain here in the archives, one will be taken to the Bishopric of St Peters, and one will go to Rome. The last will go to Leicester proclaiming that with the approval of the Church and by the fact that Count Oswine had broken his oath to his rightful and lawful liege Jarl Klas of Mercia you are now the rightful and lawful Count of Leicester.

Sigfrið said, “Thank you Bishop Bersi.” The bishop bowed and left the library.

Sigfrið turned to Jedvard, “You do not approve.”

JYQkXR3.png

Jedvard responded, “My approval is not required.”

Sigfrið said, “then what is your opinion.”

Jedvard said, “I feel it was not the right time to revoke the County of Leicester title. We are going to war shortly and we do not need unrest in our rear.”

Sigfrið said, “Have you been speaking to Mayor Klas? He voices the same opinion every time I see him.”

Jedvard said, “I have and in many ways I do agree with him.”

Sigfrið said, “What is your concern then?”

Jedvard said, “Eadmund”

Sigfrið said, “Count Eadmund of Bedford?”

Jedvard said, “Yes Eadmund of Bedford. He feels that his brother’s counties are owed to him as reward for good service to you. How do you think he react to you taking the title of Count of Leicester?”

Sigfrið said, “Like a good loyal vassal. He knows first that I must revoke and take the title before I can grant it to someone.”

Jedvard said, “Are you sure? Even now he goes around trying to convince others that Council should have more power and say over how the kingdom is ruled.”

Sigfrið said, He is a faction of one. He has garnered no support for his cause.”

Jedvard said, “For now but if this war goes wrong.”

Sigfrið said, “It will not go wrong. Partly because the levies of Leicester are now part of my demesne and not some count who would withhold troops for his own goals.”

Jedvard knew there was no further purpose served by continuing the discussion. He then turned the topic to hunting which Sigfrið enjoyed. The two spent the rest of the afternoon discussing their methods of hunting.

3 July 955 Bedford

Count Eadmund was surprised that he had an uncalled visitor at this time. He was preparing for the upcoming war with England and was not in a great mood. His mood was made even darker by King Sigfrið revoking Leicester from his brother Oswine and not granting it to Eadmund. Eadmund felt he deserved it as payment for his loyalty to Sigfrið.

Eadmund was even more surprised when he entered the chamber and saw his guest. “Countess Sæthryth, this is most unexpected.”

The Countess smiled, “How are you faring Count of Bedford. I see no other titles have been granted.”

The Countess words stung but were true, “Not at this time but there is a war brewing.”

Sæthryth said, “Still making excuses.”

Eadmund glared at her, “What brings you from Prefeddwlad to Bedford?”

Sæthryth said, “I have a proposal.”

Eadmund said, “What type of proposal?”

Sæthryth said, “A marriage proposal.”

Eadmund said, “That is interesting.”

Sæthryth said, “I have been charged by my husband Count Barid to find a suitable bride for my step son Oswulf.”

hHUtVk1.png

Eadmund said, “Do go on.”

Sæthryth continued, “I understand you have a daughter who is in need of a husband.”

Eadmund replied, “Yes my daughter Eadlgyth is unmarried. Why would I consider your stepson.”

ET9E5N7.png

Sæthryth said, “Oswulf is very much like us. He feels that the crown owes us more for our loyalty than it has currently provided. I am sure your daughter is like her father in those regards.”

Eadmund said, “Yes she is very much like I. One day she will rule this county and hopefully more.”

Sæthryth said, “Oswulf will inherit Prefeddwlad. A joining of Bedford and Prefeddwlad would be mutually beneficial to our causes in the future.”

Eadmund smiled, “Yes I can see that.”

Sæthryth said, “Good I expected as much. I have the contracts here.” She laid them on the table. Eadmund for the first time in a long while felt like he was finally making himself and his position stronger.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Cold as it is, Sigfrið probably benefits quite a bit from his brother's death. One less potential pretender and it ended the revolt before it could further drain on the realm.

I am glad to see Sæthryth return. She did the most anger-inducing thing I've read in this story with her daughter (and maybe in any AAR I've seen to this point), so we'll see if she can follow up on that "achievement" by her intrigue and trouble-making here.

Reactions:
I wouldn't trust her as far as I could spit.

Reactions:
Chapter 5.5.1 December 955 Siege Lines Outside of Reading, County of Oxford
Chapter 5.5

BRppqiG.png

22 December 955 Siege Lines Outside of Reading, County of Oxford

Sigfrið was in the command tent with his Marshal Mayor Klas of Preston, his Steward Count Jedvard of Gloucester, and the commander of the besieging army Count Eadmund of Bedford. They were discussing the progress of the war. Sigfrið had declared the Jorvik War to make King Ælfwald of England Pay Tribute on 22 July 955.

Klas spoke, “We owe King Robert of Scotland our gratitude. His armies have decimated the English levies. King Ælfwald has a small army left that is retreating from Fife. Count Eadric of Wiltshire is marching from Teviotdale to help him. Ælfwald has very little here in the south left to resist us. As a result Eadmund and Count Ceolwulf of Northampton had little trouble crossing the border and besieging Reading and Westminster.”

Jedvard said, “King Robert also occupies all of County Clydesdale.”

Klas said, “Count Eadwine of LIncoln with assistance from his commanders, Jarl Ingemar of Northumberland, and Prince Birger has been battling all the various English armies in the region. When the war began a Lothian army was present in Cumberland. Eadwine defeated the army at Penrith in early October. Next he engaged and routed an army of the Lothian Revolt at Melrose in County Teviotdale a month later.”

HTuRX3K.png
rW5OGF8.png

Eadmund asked, “Why is Count Eadwine battling Lothians and Lothian Rebels?”

Sigfrið said, “They are still English and as such may attack our troops as they pass through their lands. Also they were in Count Eadwine’s path as he is trying to engage King Ælfwald and what is left of his army.”

Eadmund asked, “What about Eadric and his army?”

Klas responded, “An army composed of troops from Uaidh, Mide, and levies from Isle of Mann, and Westmoreland under the command of High Chief Conlang of Mide defeated him and his army at Galloway Tribe at the end of November.”

rN7MsWC.png

Jedvard then said, “Have we ever confirmed the rumor that Count Ælfweard of Lothian whose claim on Fife is why England went to war with Scotland was captured by KIng Robert?”

Klas said, “Yes he was captured back in June during the battle that broke the English siege of Cupar in County Fife.”

The men continued to discuss the war until a messenger arrived. Klas received the message and read it.

Sigfrið said, “What is it?”

Klas said, “ A message from Jarl Ingemar. King Ælfwald slipped into a coma during the retreat from Fife about five weeks ago. Many said it was from the stress of the campaigning and his leprosy. He died on the fifth of December.”

Jedvard asked, “Who s king now?”

Klas said, “Ælfwald’s brother Eadgar.”

Sigfrið said, “What do we know of Eadgar?”

Eadmund said, “I have heard that he wanted to be priest but since he was heir behind Ælfwald and it appeared that Ælfwald would never have children he was not permitted to pursue the priesthood. Some also say he is paranoid and thinks everyone is plotting to prevent him from becoming a priest.”

Klas said, “There is more.”

Sigfrið said, “Do go on.”

Klas continued, “The day after Ælfwald died Count Eadric of Wiltshire revolted to push Count Ælfweard’s Claim on England.”

Eadmund asked, “the same Ælfweard who is in King Robert’s dungeons?”

Klas answered, “yes.”

Eadmund shook his head in disbelief.

Sigfrið the turned to Eadmund, “How goes the siege?”

Eadmund said, “Well, milord. It will take time. Reading has strong fortifications but we will overcome them.”

Sigfrið said, “That is good.”

Sigfrið then turned to Klas and Jedvard, “We must take our leave from here. I would like to be at Westminster as soon as possible.”

The three then took their leave from Eadmund and left the command tent.

Sigfrið stood in the tent alone relieved. He finally let go of his left arm that he had been holding to prevent the twitching in his left hand. The twitching has started about a month ago and would come on suddenly. At first he dismissed it now he was beginning to wonder about it.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.5.2 January 956 Siege Lines Outside Westminster
18 January 956 Siege Lines Outside Westminster

Sigfrið, Count Jedvard of Gloucester, and Count Ceolwulf of Northampton were in the command tent discussing the current siege of Westminster.

Suddenly and to the surprise of all present Jarl Ingemar of Northumberland, Spymaster of Jorvik entered the tent.

Jedvard said, “Ingemar! What brings you here? I understood you were up north destroying English armies.”

Ingemar said, “I was but we are almost out of Englishmen in English Lothian. I bear a message that I felt must be delivered in person.”

Sigfrið said, “What is so important that you came yourself.”

Ingemar answered, “Nine days ago Count Eadwine found and trapped King Eadgar and his army near Dunbar. To call it a battle is laughable. Eadgar had only 470 some troops left while we had close to 2200. The English did not put up much of a fight. King Eadgar tried to rally them and even lead a charge. He was separated and knocked off his horse. Alone he fought courageously. Your brother Birger fought the king personally.”

Sigfrið cringed at the mention of his brother fighting someone hand to hand considering how poor his weapon skills were. “How did that happen?”

Ingemar said, Birger was commander of the area Eadgar attacked. Once we realized Eadgar was unhorsed his surrender was demanded. Eadgar refused and Birger charged in. Birger fought well at first but soon his lack of skill showed and Eadgar severely wounded Birger in the left thigh. After that when surrounded by several pikemen Eadgar still refused to surrender. With their blood up seeing their fallen commander they slew Eadgar.”

Sigfrið asked, How is Birger?”

Ingemar said, “He is well and in good spirits.”

Sigfrið said, “I can tell from your expression there is more.”

Ingemar said. “The wound was deep to the bone. If he can use the leg again he may walk with a limp. Also there was concern that the wound was becoming infected.”

Sigfrið said, “Rash fool. I told him to think before he acted.”

Ingemar said, “One last note Baron Ecgfrith of Buckingham was captured in the chaos after the battle.”

lAZbGV9.png
a0ZpdVR.png

Sigfrið then asked, “With Eadgar dead who is KIng of England?”

Wt1yK4C.png

Jedvard responded, “Eadgar’s brother Ealdmund.

Count Ceolwulf asked, “Isn’t he under age.”

Jedvard replied, “Yes I believe he is 12 years old.”

qddEHvb.png

Sigfrið said, “Who do we believe is the regent?”

Ingemar said, “Inwær Ællasson, Chancellor of England”

Sigfrið asked, What do we know about Inwær?”

Ingemar said, “He is smart but a drunk who likes the ladies.”

Sigfrið said, “Perfect. Let’s push them to they break.”

Jedvard said, “What is left in the north?”

Ingemar said, “Count Eadwine is chasing Earl Eadric of Wiltshire and his army of English rebels. Once he destroys them there should be no resistance left in the north.”

Sigfrið smiled. The war would be over soon.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.5.3 March 956 Lancaster
13 March 956 Lancaster

Sigfrið and Count Eadwine of Lincoln sat on their mount watching the final stages of the battle. The English rebels were fleeing from the battlefield with the Jorvikian cavalry in pursuit. Eadwine had forced Count Eadric into battle this morning. The field that Eadric had to defend was not good for him as there was no place for him to anchor his flanks. Eadwine with a two to one advantage basically enveloped Eadric positions. The Englishmen fought hard but were overwhelmed by midafternoon.

HolH0OX.png

Sigfrið said to Eadwine, “Another good victory. I wish my father could have been here to see Eadric run.”

Eadwine said, “Wasn’t Eadric responsible for King Knut’s friend Bishop Ingemar’s death?”

Sigfrið said, “Yes he was. My father never forgave him.”

Eadwine asked, “How was Jorvik?”

Sigfrið said, “It was good to be home and enjoy the comforts for a few days. It was nice to spend time with my wife.”

Eadwine said, “I understand that there was a wedding.”

Sigfrið said, “Yes, Princess Yrsa married Prince Heinrich of Bavaria son of King Heinrich II of Bavaria in a nice ceremony. It was not too elaborate due to the war.”

2g0uQJo.png
y42Oitb.png

They chatted for awhile and then Eadwine departed to look to the army. Sigfrið remained behind. As Sigfrið was ready to return to camp an episode struck. The twitching in his left hand now sometimes went up to his elbow. Sigfrið waited out the twitching then headed back to camp. He had been examined by several physicians and they all claimed it was from the stress from the war. As such Sigfrið removed himself as much as he could from field commands. He did know that despite his best efforts to hide it many had noticed the twitching. He knew that in certain circles they were calling him Sigfrið the Ill.

• 1Love
Reactions:
That's not a good affliction to have. I feel that Sigfrið may have a long-drawn out trial ahead.

Reactions:
After a rough start, things seem to be going better for Sigfrið. Even if he isn't the leader his father was, it won't matter if he brings all those who think they can challenge him to heel (or have others do it for him, in the case of England).

But the illness is troubling. If it is indeed stress, that is a problem since it is a pretty negative modifier. And if it is the precursor to something worse... well that's even worse.

Reactions:
Chapter 5.5.4 April 956 Bishopric of Morpeth, County of Northumberland
17 April 956 Bishopric of Morpeth, County of Northumberland

Sigfrið entered the chamber. He found his half brother Prince Birger, Jarl of East Anglia in bed propped up into a sitting position by a large amount of pillows. Birger’s wife Anna sat in a chair next to him. Seeing the king enter she stood up and took a knee.

Sigfrið approached her, “There is no need for that.” He helped her to her feet.

Sigfrið then looked at Birger, “How is my brother faring”

Birger responded weakly, “I have been better.” A smile crossed the wounded man’s face.

Sigfrið returned the smile, “Yes I am sure you have been.”

Anna said, “We are waiting until the Physician says that he is strong enough and then we are going home to Thetford.”

Sigfrið said, “That is a long trip.”

Anna responded, “We will be going by boat to Norfolk.”

Birger asked, “How goes the war?”

Sigfrið said, “Thanks to you and Eadwine the north is clear of English, English rebels, and Lothian armies. In the south we are besieging Reading and Westminster. I expect both to fall shortly.”

Birger replied, “That is good. I cannot wait to return to the troops.”

Sigfrið said, “first you need to rest and get stronger and follow the physician’s orders.”

Birger smiled, “Yes my king.”

Sigfrið smiled back and said his farewells and left the chamber. Sveinn, the Court Physician to Jarl Ingemar of Northumberland was waiting for the king.

Sigfrið walked over to Sveinn, “How is he truly doing?”

Sveinn responded, “It is touch and go. The wound was very deep and long. I have sewn it together but if moves too much the stitching comes out. I worry that infection or worse will get in the wound. He has bouts of fever and delirium. They last for a few days and then go away. I am happy to say he has not had any bouts in two weeks.”

Sigfrið said, “When can he return to Norfolk?”

Sveinn said, “In a few more weeks he should be strong enough.”

Sigfrið said, “Will he be able to walk?”

Sveinn said, “Regrettably he will never walk again without a crutch. If the leg refuses to heal it may have to be removed.”

Sigfrið closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths. “Thank you good doctor.”

The doctor left and Sigfrið was surprised to find Anna standing there.

Anna said, “Sire, may I have a word with you?”

Sigfrið said, “Yes, what troubles you?”

Anna said, “I am worried.”

Sigfrið said, “Birger is recovering.”

Anna said, “It is not about husband.”

Sigfrið said, “Then what is it about?”

Anna responded, “My father.”

Sigfrið was surprised, “Jarl Ingemar?”

Anna said, “Yes”

Sigfrið said, “What worries you?”

Anna said, “Have you noticed anything different about him?”

Sigfrið thought, “I can’t say that I have. But then again I have not seen much of him over the last few months with him being with the armies here in the north. What is different?”

Anna said, “At first it was rumors about the way he was acting. Some were saying that he chants to himself. At times he locks himself in his chambers for hours and hours. You can hear strange noises and sometimes chanting. Some soldiers coming home have said that he seems to be cruel toward the English and that he takes a great deal of delight in their suffering.”

Sigfrið did not know what to think. He had heard a few whispers about his Spymaster but dismissed them as idle gossip. “I have not seen or heard anything.”

Anna continued, “A few have said that they have seen him drinking heavily at times.”

Sigfrið said, “I am sure it is nothing. Probably rumors and innuendo being spread by the English to discredit your father.”

Anna said, “I am sure you are right milord.”

Sigfrið felt she was not convinced and he was not sure he was either. Anna excused herself and returned to her husband’s chambers.

The next morning Sigfrið ate his breakfast and then checked in on Birger. He then prepared to leave. However as he was gathering a few final items Gunnarr, Marshal Klas’ trusted aide appeared. Sigfrið thought it odd that Gunnarr was bringing a message. Then after a few moments Sigfrið thought If Gunnarr is here then something has either happened to Klas or there is something extremely important and more than likely bad that Klas must be handling the situation. Whatever the message is was too important to be trusted to just another messenger.

Sigfrið said, “Gunnarr what brings you to Morpeth?”

Gunnar said, “You my king.”

Sigfrið said, “Why is that?”

Gunnar said, “I was sent by Mayor Klas to bring you some unpleasant news,”

Sigfrið said, “Why didn’t Klas come himself or send another messenger?”

Gunnarr said, “Marshal Klas is working desperately to correct the situation and felt that it would be better that someone you knew brought you the message.”

Sigfrið felt his heart sink and a lump in his throat form, “What has happened?”

Gunnarr said, “Somehow the English crown found enough money to hire mercenaries, the Breton Band in particular. They also managed to scrounge together a goodly number of levies from Wessex, Oxford, and Surrey.”

Sigfrið asked, “And what did they do with this army.”

Gunnarr said, “With Captain Nicolas of the Brenton Band in command they attacked Count Eadmund. Eadmund met them at Oxford on the sixth of April.”

Sigfrið said, “I have a feeling things did not go as Eadmund had planned.”

Gunnarr said, “That is correct. Even though the armies were roughly the same size Nicolas proved to be the better general and his mercenaries fought hard and showed their experience and knowledge of war. Eadmund only lost slightly more men than the English but his army was routed and fled. The English then relieved the city of Reading and the siege was lifted.”

Bwy1TkI.png

Sigfrið said, “What of Eadmund?”

Gunnar said, “He is with Mayor Klas and under the Marshal’s direct command. Together they are rebuilding the army, collecting stragglers, and finding new troops. Klas is hoping to defeat the English soon once their intentions are clear.”

Sigfrið said, “Their intentions clear?”

Gunnarr said, “At first Klas thought they would pursue Eadmund’s army or attack Count Ceolwulf in Middlesex. They did not and moved into Worcester. Last word I had was they were moving north into Shrewsbury.”

Sigfrið said, “Thank you Gunnarr. Now get something to eat and be ready to leave with us. I want you to accompany us to Jorvik.”

Gunnarr took his leave and rode off. Count Jedvard who was nearby and listening came up to Sigfrið.

Jedvard said, “It is good that we are traveling by boat and not overland. I would not want to be caught in Dunholm with a couple thousand English mercenaries running amok.”

Sigfrið said, “Yes and the ships will get us back to Jorvik quicker.”

Jedvard said, “What about this English army?”

Sigfrið said, “If they are heading north to English Lothian which is where I believe they are going we will have to rely on our allies.”

Jedvard said, “High Chief Conlang of Mide and Chief Cathalán of Ulaidh?”

Sigfrið said, “Unfortunately for the time being.”

Jedvard said, “What of Count Eadwine?”

Sigfrið said, “Eadwine returned to LIncoln. Most of the levies in his army have returned to their homes to replenish. It will be a few months before Eadwine’s army will be back to strength.”

Jedvard said, “Anything else we can do?”

Sigfrið said, “If the situation warrants it we could hire our own mercenary company. Let’s hope it does not come to that.”

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 5.5.5 July 956 Westminster
22 July 956 Westminster

Sigfrið had occupied the palace that the English kings had used as their home after the city was captured 3 days ago. Sigfrið and Jedvard were patiently waiting in the former king’s private audience chamber.

Jedvard said, “He is late. This is not like Ingemar.”

Sigfrið thinking about what Anna had told him asked, “Do you think he is acting odd or different?”

Jedvard said, “At times he seems very fatigued. I have seen him drink in excess a few times recently. But he does his job.”

Sigfrið said, “Anything else?”

Jedvard said, “I have heard some of the guards say that they heard strange sounds and chants coming from his chambers on the first night we occupied the palace. No one seems to know what it was.”

At that moment Jarl Ingemar of Northumberland, Spymaster of Jorvik, entered the chambers. At first he looked unsteady but he quickly composed himself.

Ingemar said, “Milord, I am sorry to be late. Some urgent messages arrived and I had to address them.”

Sigfrið said, “Anything we should know about?”

Ingemar said, “Count Eadwine resumed the siege of Reading several weeks ago and wanted information on defenses and if we had anyone we could trust inside the city. The Brenton Band and their English cohorts have entered Cumberland. We are spreading rumors and exaggerations regarding our armies in English Lothian. It seems to be working as they have slowed their advance.”

Sigfrið and Jedvard exchanged glances. Both thought that these messages did not require the immediate attention of the spymaster.

Sigfrið decided to test something. “Some wine Ingemar?”

Ingemar composed himself as Sigfrið handed him a goblet filled with wine. Sigfrið and Jedvard also picked up their goblets and slowly sipped some wine. Ingemar quickly took his goblet and drank a couple of quick gulps. Once he realized he was being watched he sipped and put the goblet down. He kept glancing at the goblet like it had some power over him.

Sigfrið said, “How are our plans to cause more trouble for King Ealdmund in the north progressing.”

Ingemar did not respond at first. Sigfrið was about to ask again when Ingemar responded, “they are going well. A former soldier named Rædwulf has been gathering supporters amongst the peasants of Dunbar. We are expecting something to erupt in Dunbar very shortly.”

Sigfrið said, “Thank you for your report, Jarl Ingemar. You may return to your duties.”

Ingemar bowed and took his leave. Before he did he hurriedly finished drinking his goblet of wine.

After Ingemar departed Jedvard said, “There is something definitely going on with him.”

Sigfrið agreed, “Yes and I need to find out what and if it affects his abilities to due his duties. I cannot place the fate of the kingdom in hands of a ineffective spymaster.”

Two weeks later Sigfrið received word that a peasant revolt had erupted in Dunbar lead by a man named Rædwulf.

• 1Love
Reactions: