• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WretchedWolf

Recruit
20 Badges
Jan 24, 2019
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Magicka
I just started playing Tyranny, but every time I get to the conquest step of character creation, I am presented with a white screen where I can do nothing to progress but force close the game. I haven't found any similar bugs online and have no clue what could be causing this!!!
mGQcAXs.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please gather both these two informational files, and attach them here:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Tyranny\Tyranny_Data\output_log.txt

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

I have the exact same issue, but I'm running the game via the Discord Nitro version, rather than Steam. I'm unable to progress past the white screen.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    83,3 KB · Views: 43
  • output_log.txt
    2 MB · Views: 68
We at Paradox don't have much to do with the Discord version. What I do see in there is:
FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "D:\Games\DiscordGames\Tyranny\content\Data\data\design\conversations\global\slides_chargen.conversation".
So maybe the installation is corrupted or incomplete? Not sure what facility they provide to verify or reinstall, but try that I guess.

And you have exactly the same error - did you see? Two cannot be corruption then, I can only guess it's a bug. Please contact them about it.

I emailed Obsidian and they gave the following reply:

Thanks for reaching out, however I'm afraid we won't be able to offer much help as well. Paradox owns the Tyranny IP and they self published the game, so it would actually have to go through to them to put the game up on Discord. So that part seems confusing to me that they didn't have anything to do with the Discord store. If Discord has a repair game files option, I would try that and see if it works.

I'm still waiting on a response from Discord as their initial suggested solution didn't work.

Any luck here? I contacted discord as well and they were no help, saying it was a "Game related issue" and that I should contact paradox support.

Its blatantly the discord downloader not downloading that file (and possibly others). Showed them this thread as well as the error itself, but nothing came out of it.

Its blatantly the discord downloader not downloading that file (and possibly others).
Yep, I agree. I wish we could help but we need the game to be installed properly first!

Discord just got back to me with this message:

"Thanks so much for letting me know! I've escalated this to our store operations team, and they'll be reaching out to Paradox to get the build fixed on our store. Sadly, though, I don't have any ETA on when an updated build will be available.
I'm really sorry for the hassle with the game once more, but if there's anything else that I can help with, please let me know here."

Hi, everyone! I've been having this problem for about a week now on the Discord version. I'm happy to report that after some emailing back and forth with the Discord and Paradox devs, they've released a build that fixes this bug!

Go ahead and download it on Discord if you still have this problem, and hit "repair" just for the sake of making sure it all went smoothly.