• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Which mods do you play regularly

• CORE

Votes: 324 58,6%
  • TGW

Votes: 86 15,6%
  • Stony Road

Votes: 64 11,6%
  • Super AI

Votes: 44 8,0%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 37 6,7%
  • None, i stay faithful to the pureness of vanilla

Votes: 134 24,2%

• Total voters
seattle said:
Does anyone know the following mods:

1. Phantasia (or something like that)

AFAIK it is set in 1920 with the German Empire still intact, either they won WWI or it never happened.
Sounds very interesting.
This?
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168383

2. Finalmod
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165587

Haven't played either of those.
Can anyone tell me what's the deal with these "clean installations"?
I've always been lazy, so I just installed each new update of Hoi, SR and Core into the Hoi-folder.
Never de-installed and re-installed it.

It works fine for me, even with core 0.9.
For many people it will work but there's always a chance it will cause a problem so if you have a problem one of the first things that will be asked is "did you do a clean install?". Also, if you have modified any files yourself you may forget about it and then that may cause problems with the new version. If you don't have any problems then you don't need a clean install unless the mod specifically says you MUST do a clean install for that version.

@ jdrou

Thank you very much for the reply!
I found a discussion about this Fantasia-mod in a German forum where the user "Preussenhusar" is also active.

From what I've read his mod is buggy but improving each version.
I will give it a try.

Vanilla.

seattle said:
I played vanilla Hoi for a very long time (until version 1.05 or so).

Afterwards I downloaded SR and was impressed.
What made me switch to vanilla again were some serious ctd bugs.
Whenever Italy was knocked out of the war, the game crashed and even reloading wouldn't help any longer.

So back to vanilla with version 1.06 again.
I sure missed all of the great ideas of SR, so I decided to give Core a chance.

Anyway, I still stayed with Core from that moment forth.
The only things I'm missing in Core are some of SR's events ("tensions ease" decreased war entry each year making it possible to prolong the outbreak of the war until 1942; "Wochenschau" whenever you finish a campaign you're rewarded with decreased dissent which makes sense).

I can't really say which one is better since I haven't played SR in a while.
Both are however much better than vanilla.

---------------------------

Does anyone know the following mods:

1. Phantasia (or something like that)

AFAIK it is set in 1920 with the German Empire still intact, either they won WWI or it never happened.
Sounds very interesting.

2. Finalmod

Don't know anything about it but the title.

-----------------------------------

Can anyone tell me what's the deal with these "clean installations"?
I've always been lazy, so I just installed each new update of Hoi, SR and Core into the Hoi-folder.
Never de-installed and re-installed it.

It works fine for me, even with core 0.9.

Hi Seattle, which SR version you are talking about? one thing we are proud of in HSR is the absence of bugs and our bug forum is generally dedicated mainly to WAD discussions :). About the installation in fact the latest HSR versions could be installed directly on your HOI without problems and as Grimreaper suggests to reinstall everything is just a preventive measure. I can not tell what the situation will be by co-installing it with CORE as i am not sure if they are modifying anything from the main folders but considering the people working there I am sure they are not modifying any of those. HSR as general policy does not touch any of the main HOI files (Tjaja, our release manager, makes real sure that never happens and believe me he is a pain with it :) ) so it will not create any problem to HOI or any other mod installed in the same HOI folder and you will be able to play freely what ever game mod you choose the time you want.

Aregorn said:
Hi Seattle, which SR version you are talking about? one thing we are proud of in HSR is the absence of bugs and our bug forum is generally dedicated mainly to WAD discussions :)

Thanks for the info, not sure though which version I played.
Downloaded it about 6 months ago, should have been the then up to date one.

The problem only occured when I played the Allies (in my case Great Britain).
Of course Italy sucked and was vanquished.
After their surrender Germany took over command via event.
Maybe the sheer amount of windows (must have been 20 provinces changing their owner twice) caused the crash.
Tried several reloads as well as a new game, this time trying to avoid conquering Italy, but well let's face it, they are just to stupid...

As Germany I never had problems with SR, I sure miss some things in core.
Maybe I'll give SR another try.

-------------------------------

I tried the "Final Mod" these days.

Don't ever play that one, it's just horrible.
It begins in 1934, but it took me until 1941 before I could actually start the war.
The events are plain stupid.

For example, I had peace in Europe in 1940, the event fired "invasion of norway", I hadn't even Dow'ed Poland yet, I got 15 % dissent penalty for not declaring war upon Norway...
December 1941, Pearl Harbour event, great!
Yeah well, US war entry was 10 %. I decided not to Dow them, got 20 % dissent hit for that, why? Were the German people so keen on getting f***ed?
Anyways, got the dissent hit, two days later an event for USA fired that got them into the war.
WTF? Can you seriously change history in this stupid mod?

I won't continue the current game because I have the feeling that once I've painted the world grey, an event will fire that Germany surrendered to the allies on May 8th 1945...

Some mods are just useless.

seattle said:
Thanks for the info, not sure though which version I played.
Downloaded it about 6 months ago, should have been the then up to date one.

The problem only occured when I played the Allies (in my case Great Britain).
Of course Italy sucked and was vanquished.
After their surrender Germany took over command via event.
Maybe the sheer amount of windows (must have been 20 provinces changing their owner twice) caused the crash.
Tried several reloads as well as a new game, this time trying to avoid conquering Italy, but well let's face it, they are just to stupid...

As Germany I never had problems with SR, I sure miss some things in core.
Maybe I'll give SR another try.

-------------------------------

I tried the "Final Mod" these days.

Don't ever play that one, it's just horrible.
It begins in 1934, but it took me until 1941 before I could actually start the war.
The events are plain stupid.

For example, I had peace in Europe in 1940, the event fired "invasion of norway", I hadn't even Dow'ed Poland yet, I got 15 % dissent penalty for not declaring war upon Norway...
December 1941, Pearl Harbour event, great!
Yeah well, US war entry was 10 %. I decided not to Dow them, got 20 % dissent hit for that, why? Were the German people so keen on getting f***ed?
Anyways, got the dissent hit, two days later an event for USA fired that got them into the war.
WTF? Can you seriously change history in this stupid mod?

I won't continue the current game because I have the feeling that once I've painted the world grey, an event will fire that Germany surrendered to the allies on May 8th 1945...

Some mods are just useless.

If you do wait until sunday-monday when the latest release (HSR 1.04c) will be done.

I think the SuperAI & Core are very fine mods and I totally respect their excellent development teams. I've played them both a lot and enjoyed them.

However, for me, it's hands down Stoney Road. It's an incredible challange and for example, what other mod could possibly deal with the horrible airstacking problem as elegantly as SR (v-104ce)?

Stoney Road has some pretty sharp cookies involved, imo.

Not playing HOI for several months. After trying the newest version of CORE and HSR.
I must say Historical Stonyroad Rules. It provides a true historical feeling and challenge I've never expected before. And about CORE, there is more events and more complicated tech trees, but in the SP field it remain old-fashioned, and lack of competance. Perhaps CORE is better suit for MP play.

I've never played core nor any other mod aside from the Tech share one. It is indispensable if you play one of the Allies (and of course in MP it's a must have).
I hope that modern day makes it someday... That might be fun...but I suspect Paradox will actually do it in Hoi3 before that happens...:rofl:

C.O.R.E, is my favourite, but also Stony Road is a good option.

Is there anyone that has played all of the Mod's listed in the poll???

Would you be able to rate them?

(or is there a quicker reference to what they do?, sorry if I did miss a post indicating).

I was about to install Core when I bought StarWars Battlefront 2 and Blitzkrieg 2 (and those games have been the only 2 in my rotation for the past few months. Hopefully I will be tired of those soon and come back to other games like HOI and other stragedy games.

I was only aware of CORE, yet only because it came with the game but never activated it. I only finished 2 campaigns (well almost). It's still saved in 1947.

I have played all the mods.My personal favourites is Core V0.91 with my favourite sprites from the other mods installed.I also play TGW the enjoyable WW1 hoi mod,there is something just fun about zeppelins. :)

http://www.hearts-of-iron.com/
Havard's HoI Hacking Havenhttp://www.stonyroad.de/
The Stony Road - A hearts of iron modding community - Home

I will not vote, I haven't tried any of them except a little bit of TGW.

But I will reinstall a few and get back to this post.