Which Landless Character Will You Play as First?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Probably a jewish character, then maybe a chinese one and try to create a kingdom i north africa.

When the update for After the End for dlc comes, make a quebecois character in Canada and travel all the way down to Patagonia to create a kingdom. Another After the End idea would be a mormon guy and carve a realm out in British Columbia.

Although I'm not sure if they still existed in 867 but there were already a few viking "settlements" throughout France before 867 so if anything, there should be more vikings in France (in 1 barony counties).

As for Hasteinn, there were vikings in the area since 840s. Not permanent settlements perhaps but currently there really is no way to represent it better. Perhaps in the future we could get unoccupied counties.

Later members of Tatikios' family exist in the history files, I know because I wanted to add him but while checking if he exists found his descendants. Also Tatikios doesn't fit the bill because he wasn't exactly an adventurer with troops of his own but a general of the empire.
Landless gameplay isn't limited to adventurers for the ERE, the Steam page mentions Byzantine courtiers being able to gain influence and estates

Random Turk: start as a random Turkic/Central Asian adventurer in 867 and migrate to Persia. I’ll fight for the Iranian lords until I gain enough power to forge my own realm and eventually end the Intermezzo faster than Seljuk!
+1. A Turkish create-an-adventurer sounds like the right way to trigger the Iranian Resurgence!
Random Varangian: start as a random viking in 867 and become one of the first members of the Varangian Guard. My descendants will intermarry with powerful Greek families and become influential administrators in the Roman Empire. Perhaps one will even seize the imperial throne!
Sounds like the Mediterranean Vacation strategy is getting another buff.

Also, this makes me wonder. Will the existing Varangian Adventure CB remain as-is, or is it going to be reworked in line with the adventurer mechanic?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow, how could I forget!Although they do not exactly fit the bill Trpimirovics can be made landless adventurers. Domagoj usurped after Trpmir and his sons fled to Constantniople. Currently they are rulers somewhere in Slovenia so instead of making them rulers which they were not, making them adventurers, while still not exactly accurate, could be better. That is if the intention is to make them playable at 867 start, if making them nonplayable is acceptable than they should outright be unplayable landless characters at Byzantine court that have claims on Croatia so BE can press claim and install them.

Wonder if unlanded characters can join crusades? wouldnt make any sense not to to be honest seems like a good way to carve yourself a little county in the holy land
That is an absolutely brilliant idea. Probably isn't planned for Roads to Power but I'd love to see this if they ever do a core expansion for crusades.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does anyone know if Haesteinn was landless IRL in 867? If he was, is it likely we'll have a new count of Montaigu?
lightly looking into it, it seems that haesteinn was indeed the controler of Nantes during 867, in fact he even temed with the duke of britanny at game start in order to attack france, so I doubt yuo will het him somehow landless.

also in my hunt for non landed dynasty in 867 I've found two interesting picks:
the house of Ivrea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anscarids actually start as unlanded in 867, tough yuo would be forgiven by not know this since they often get landed quickly.

and much more interestingly the descendent's of Widukind the Immedingians https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immedingians also start unladed.

honarable mention goes to the house of gwerthyon in wales also unladed, and purputed descendents of vortigen.

P.S: to my surprise it seems that the elder house of anjou is also landless in 867

Last edited:
Something I hope never becomes an Achievment, but I would do it, is have a Dynasty that visits every single Holy Site of every Faith. Or that visits a County of every faith in the map. Talk about true Ecumenicism.

But yeah, it would also be awesome to play someone that promotes Faith and Culture like Peter the Hermit did i nthe Crusades. With all the terrible repercussions, crimes and cannibalism involved.

As it's Crusader Kings, I really want to play a unlanded second son from an important noble families (like most of the crusaders of the 1st Crusade), and try to get a part of the Holy Land. One of the best game I ever played (and I wrote an AAR about it) was when I put the brother of King Philippe of France, Hugues the Great (who, in reality had a bad time Crusading...) on the throne and played him.

It would be cool to have a way to participate and gain Lands during Crusade as a landless character. Again, that's the title of the game...

Considered and decided against, I'm afraid: it gets a bit weird with the late-stage murder plot, so Michael's death remains bumped back to 866.
Can't you just trigger an event for it with a likelihood of success and failure? It doesn't necessarily have to involve the murder plot mechanic... or does it?

@Wokeg sorry to bother yuo, but after reading other threads, it seems the new expansion will be focusing on adventurer and landless admin, so could a feature be considered of selecting any pre-existing character as an adventurer? from what I've gleamed it seems that adventurers will have a special adventure "title" and that one would technically be able to use the character creater normally for them. Basically inspired by this thread, there is plenty of character the "could have become adventurers" but didn't wich means they are unlikely to get the coveted adventurer title so could the player in addition to creating a character to be an adventurer just select already existing landless characters to become and adventurers?

also back on topic: the Bivinids! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosonids a "related" dynasty to the bosonid dynasty (it's actually fairly complicated so i will refrain from making comments on the dynastic set-up) in game their name is Bouvinind they start landless in 867 but would later go on to become kings of Burgundy/arles/provence, and one of their number would even be king of france!

@Wokeg sorry to bother yuo, but after reading other threads, it seems the new expansion will be focusing on adventurer and landless admin, so could a feature be considered of selecting any pre-existing character as an adventurer? from what I've gleamed it seems that adventurers will have a special adventure "title" and that one would technically be able to use the character creater normally for them. Basically inspired by this thread, there is plenty of character the "could have become adventurers" but didn't wich means they are unlikely to get the coveted adventurer title so could the player in addition to creating a character to be an adventurer just select already existing landless characters to become and adventurers?

From the description in the Dev Diary

"Adventurers
Set out across the world as a historical adventurer, one of your own making, or keep playing your beloved character after being unfortunately deposed from your lands! Travel to distant realms, take on contracts, gather friends, wealth, and fame - do mercenary work, or settle in new lands."

So we'll definitelly get to play as existing landless characters or make our own.

"Adventurers
Set out across the world as a historical adventurer, one of your own making, or keep playing your beloved character after being unfortunately deposed from your lands! Travel to distant realms, take on contracts, gather friends, wealth, and fame - do mercenary work, or settle in new lands."

So we'll definitelly get to play as existing landless characters or make our own.
im not entirely sure how they will choose who is available. they are going to make them "titled" characters. Devs said they will give a adventure title to rollo de normandie, so normal couriers wont be available, but we can make our own adventurers. so i assume they will give a ton of historical characters the adventurer title.

• 1Like
Reactions:

"Adventurers

Link to the post made by Wokeg/Dev on the topic.

Reactions: