Which Landless Character Will You Play as First?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Упырь Лихой
The Novgorod priest and scribe of the 11th century, the "Упырь Лихой". "Упырь" is the Slavic name for a vampire. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upiór
Such a name was a talisman. Parents could hope that ghouls and other unclean spirits would not take the child away, considering him "for their own."
M. A. Bobrik suggests that the word "likhyi" is not part of the name (nickname) of the priest, but a pejorative epithet with the meaning "sinful, unworthy"; such epithets are common in the records of scribes. A man called a "Упырь" could feel his sinfulness especially acutely, although the Orthodox tradition prescribes the cultivation of this feeling for all believers.
There is also a version that this is the Swedish Upir Ofeigr fleece cutter, and the name was given by consonance.

I don't care much about pre existing Landless characters, but about dynamic stories this make. For example Haraldr of Norway was kicked out of Norway, travelled to Rus' where he had betrothal to Yaroslav's daughter, then he went to Byzantines to serve as Varangians and earn his fortune.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They are fictional. Magyar migration of Paradox isn't actually accurate most likely due to some limitations. Magyars have moved to Pannonia because they were defeated by Pechenegs and Bulgars. Pannonia was Bulgar territory in name but sparsely populated at the time. Pechenegs that settled to Magyar territory were also a group of Pechenegs that was pushed from the east themselves. So a more accurate representation would require some more Pechenegs that are in the east and move to Magyar territory and Magyars not winning but actually losing a war. Now a decision given to Bulgaria and Pechenegs both that would result in moving the Magyars and settling Pechenegs there would really be interesting but would be going through hoops for little benefit.
Yes, but I can see this as the start of a new Nomadic way of doing things. Nomads booting other nomads out of their lands and creating cascades of conquering waves until the weakest cannot conquer anything.

• 1Like
Reactions:
aight champs wild suggestion: unland hasteinn

hasteinn has no business being landed where he is. hes literally just there for the hasteinn experience. instead of ahistorically setting him up in brittany, hes a perfect candidate to be an unlanded adventurer on game start

as for my first game, little boring maybe but im thinking of losing the war for england as harold godwinson on purpose and migrating to byzantium. maybe i set up new england in crimea or maybe i stick around as a mercenary, depends on how restrictive the unlanded gameplay is as compared to landed

• 5Like
Reactions:
maybe a good time to add some reputable landless characters as well?

Ubbe Ragnarson
Hrolfr/Rollo de Normandie (Please give him permanent DNA now)

Also are Secondary heirs available for play? because there are tons of second sons who created history.

Maybe as a custom Ethiopian named Malik Ambar & adventure to india to see if i cannot do something similar to Malik Ambar, who was the regent of the Nizamshahi dynasty of Ahmednagar from 1600 to 1626 (india) (ethiopian slave who became regent & ruler in india)
Dude these people were not voluntary travellers to india but slaves bought by Muslim sultanates. Later promoted based on meritrocracy, then later usurped kingdoms.

Dude these people were not voluntary travellers to india but slaves bought by Muslim sultanates. Later promoted based on meritrocracy, then later usurped kingdoms.
Starting as a captive, like the 1982 Conan the Barbarian film, and earning one's freedom (or perhaps slaying one's captors in vengeance), then working one's way up to the kingship, would make for cool ropleplaying.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
aight champs wild suggestion: unland hasteinn

hasteinn has no business being landed where he is. hes literally just there for the hasteinn experience. instead of ahistorically setting him up in brittany, hes a perfect candidate to be an unlanded adventurer on game start

as for my first game, little boring maybe but im thinking of losing the war for england as harold godwinson on purpose and migrating to byzantium. maybe i set up new england in crimea or maybe i stick around as a mercenary, depends on how restrictive the unlanded gameplay is as compared to landed
Although I'm not sure if they still existed in 867 but there were already a few viking "settlements" throughout France before 867 so if anything, there should be more vikings in France (in 1 barony counties).

As for Hasteinn, there were vikings in the area since 840s. Not permanent settlements perhaps but currently there really is no way to represent it better. Perhaps in the future we could get unoccupied counties.

- Welf, as he is not supposed to inherit the Italian possessions of his father
- Alan fitz Flaad, the ancestor of the house of Stuart
- Tatikios, the childhood friend (and slave) of the future Alexios I

I believe all three of them are already in the game too (I'm sure for Welf but not the last two)
Later members of Tatikios' family exist in the history files, I know because I wanted to add him but while checking if he exists found his descendants. Also Tatikios doesn't fit the bill because he wasn't exactly an adventurer with troops of his own but a general of the empire.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yes, but I can see this as the start of a new Nomadic way of doing things. Nomads booting other nomads out of their lands and creating cascades of conquering waves until the weakest cannot conquer anything.
Yes, clearly with these latest additions they also have Nomads and even Republics in mind. Hopefully republics besides thalassocracies would be playable as well.

Random created character in Scandinavia, raid a bit, gain prestige then become a Varangian Guard and possibly become emperor? :cool:
This is actually quite plausible, historically. There were quite a few "barbarians" that became emperor or were at least offered to become emperor, the only real condition, well besides having the necessary support, was to be a Christian... but not Arian Christianity, some couldn't become emperor solely because they were Arians.

An example would be Ardabur Aspar of Alanic and Gothic descent. He couldn't become emperor because of being an Arian but made his subordinate Marcian emperor.

Later on one of his sons marries Leontia Porphyrogenita daughter of Emperor Leo but because he is an Arian the marriage is annulled.

An even more accurate fantasy for 1066 would be to create a random Anglo-Saxon character then become a Varangian guard, marry a sister/daughter of the emperor and then possibly become emperor upon his death. Because Varangian guard was mostly formed of people from England after the Norman conquest

Last edited:
Reactions:
Norman saw on English oak.
On English neck a Norman yoke;
Norman spoon to English dish,
And England ruled as Normans wish;
Blithe world in England never will be more,
Till England's rid of all the four.

HEREWARD THE WAKE

Ahem, yes. Thread bookmarked for requests & ideas.
My hope/request is that in the 867 bookmark you have a seljuk and a ghaznavid somewhere for us to play as, so we can establish their empires historically

Ibn Tumart Is another good character. He was a landless wanderer and eventually established the Almohad dynasty after preaching to the berber tribes and uniting them under him

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ibn Tumart Is another good character. He was a landless wanderer and eventually established the Almohad dynasty after preaching to the berber tribes and uniting them under him
So basically a real world Muad'dib. I'll go make a Paul Atreides if custom adventurers are allowed!