Which Landless Character Will You Play as First?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Noxatrox

First Lieutenant
6 Badges
Dec 1, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • War of the Roses
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
The newly announced “Road to Power” DLC for Chapter 3 has confirmed that we will be able to play as landless characters! Both administrators in the Roman Empire and adventurers like El Cid.

This begs the question… which landless character will you play as first?

Here are my top picks at the moment:

Hrolfr (Rollo) de Normandie: present as a courtier in the capital of Norway in 867. I’ll invade France, forge Norman culture, and then either follow the historical route (conquering England) or migrate to Sicily and eventually become the first of the crusaders

El Cid: I’ll be loyal to my amigo Sancho for as long as possible. If he gets assassinated by his brother, I’ll move south and try to establish the Kingdom of Valencia

Random Turk: start as a random Turkic/Central Asian adventurer in 867 and migrate to Persia. I’ll fight for the Iranian lords until I gain enough power to forge my own realm and eventually end the Intermezzo faster than Seljuk!

Random Varangian: start as a random viking in 867 and become one of the first members of the Varangian Guard. My descendants will intermarry with powerful Greek families and become influential administrators in the Roman Empire. Perhaps one will even seize the imperial throne!

What about you?

20240206210644_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 19Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
Norman saw on English oak.
On English neck a Norman yoke;
Norman spoon to English dish,
And England ruled as Normans wish;
Blithe world in England never will be more,
Till England's rid of all the four.

HEREWARD THE WAKE

Ahem, yes. Thread bookmarked for requests & ideas.

• 30Like
  • 13Love
Reactions:

HEREWARD THE WAKE

Ooh now that sounds fun! Are you also implying Adventurers could lead a sort of Guerrilla movement cause that could be very fun

• 2Like
Reactions:
The opportunity to play a wandering character and go out and explore and make your dynasty fortune out there is just something that will make CKIII officially better than CKII. I'm really looking forward to it.
I'll personally hope that more minority cultures will now be integrated as I feel this system suits much better for playing people starting outside the established structures of power and to make their own story.

I think I would really try to "come back" if I happen to lose land to a holy war when I'm starting a game, or if I lose it after some big scripted invasion makes me lose all the titles my character holds.

• 16Like
Reactions:
Edgar Aethling. Now that we have landless play, please make Margaret and Edgar Wessex landless. Edgar had a long and storied life after losing England with several attempts with his Scottish allies and in-laws to retake the English crown.

• 17Like
Reactions:
Call me boring but I'm gonna play as myself. I already do it but I start as a count in the place where I live irl. Only I after the dlc drops I will be landless

• 7Like
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
I'm going to pick a random Anglo-Saxon courtier, get the hell out of dodge before the Normans arrive, and start a new life in Burma

• 4Like
  • 4Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I'd be interested to see if there was opportunity for mercenary bands, ala John Hawkwood and the other condottieri, spending a life fighting wars and traveling to tourneys

• 3Like
Reactions:
I'd like to take a minority culture with no landed rulers to rise to prominence again. I don't know if there's any characters currently who are part of cultures with no on-map presence, but they'd be ideal.

• 1Like
Reactions:

HEREWARD THE WAKE

So wait, we can give ideas?

For starters I would say Basil as not an emperor but co-emperor with Michael still alive but you are probably already doing it.

There are quite a few mercenaries/adventurers and defectors in 11th century of Turkic (Cuman, Pecheneg perhaps also Oghuz), Lombard, Norman, "Frankish" (French I guess), and Breton origin that were given lands and settled in Byzantine Empire, some like Rousseil de Bailleul took it even further, trying to carve out his own realm within the empire. In late 11th century, after Norman conquest of England there were several nobles from England who fled with an army and were settled around Crimea by Byzantine empire and IIRC in early 12th century(perhaps very late 11th century as well) there were also some Rus' who took refuge and settled in Balkans.

Although can't think of anyone specific, would like to play an adventurer of nomadic origin in 867.

Edit: I can add a few sources and historical people later on.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: