Which aspects of other Paradox titles do you hope make it into EU5?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1453 start date and having the Roman Empire not be laden with their insulting exonym "Byzantium" would be nice too.
Eastern Roman Empire
Basilea Rhomaion
Empire of the Romans
Roman Empire
are all valid names for the tag. "Byzantium" is not.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I've no idea how to implement it, but it would be great if exploring the unknown could give the same sense of wonder as it does in Stellaris.

I don't need Crusader Kings style full fledged dynasty mechanics, but a simplified version, with for example an heir and 2 possible pretender, from either your dynasty, local nobility of a dynasty of rival nation, would add to the PU game I think.

Reactions:
I've no idea how to implement it, but it would be great if exploring the unknown could give the same sense of wonder as it does in Stellaris.

I guess that's only possible with a RNW and I don't think they'll try that again. A compromise could be a couple of well designed Alt-new worlds with logical trade routes, climates, resources and natives etc. So if a player wants to truly explore unknown continents there is a solid, bug-free option for a couple of campaigns.

I guess that's only possible with a RNW and I don't think they'll try that again. A compromise could be a couple of well designed Alt-new worlds with logical trade routes, climates, resources and natives etc. So if a player wants to truly explore unknown continents there is a solid, bug-free option for a couple of campaigns.
I mean wasn't that exactly the idea behind RNW in EU4, just that no one is using it even now?

I can count the times I used it on one hand and I didn't even encounter any bugs.

I mean wasn't that exactly the idea behind RNW in EU4, just that no one is using it even now?

I can count the times I used it on one hand and I didn't even encounter any bugs.
Every time I played it, it was disappointing. Either the continents were underwhelming, the trade to Europe didn't make any sense anymore or the colonial range was too small to even explore it properly in an immersive way. I always assumed that's why no one is using it, because the idea of exploring into the fog is awesome and more immersive than 'exploring' while knowing where to go, what to do etc. But to be honest on my EU5-wishlist it is pretty low.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Every time I played it, it was disappointing. Either the continents were underwhelming, the trade to Europe didn't make any sense anymore or the colonial range was too small to even explore it properly in an immersive way. I always assumed that's why no one is using it, because the idea of exploring into the fog is awesome and more immersive than 'exploring' while knowing where to go, what to do etc. But to be honest on my EU5-wishlist it is pretty low.
Now that you mention it the trade was bugging me a bit as well. I remember one game where I couldn't forward it to my home node (English channel or sevilla).

I would love to use it more, but given how it breaks some mission trees and disables achievements I can't just feel like it's not worth it.

The whole exploration aspect is my favourite part of stellaris.

Gonna agree with basic 'characters'/a family tree.

Dynastic disputes caused some major wars in this period but most of the time I don't see it happen outside of events. The current succession system is... clunky, to say the least. A simple family tree would allow for somethin akin to, say, Elizabeth I dying without an heir and the Stuarts claiming the throne due to a previous royal marriage. It can be done in EU4 but it is rather random and overly prestige-linked. A basic 'character' system would also allow for things where the ruler of one country e.g. Philip the Good Duke of Burgundy is also the heir to another, as was historically the case with the Duchy of Guelders without having events checking for exact matching names/ages. Also again same thing for Ladislaus or any generals becoming rulers etc etc.

The characters do not need be anywhere near as detailed as in CK. A name, any titles, some traits. No pictures or them going off and doing stuff (except marriage and procreation) on their own. Family trees can cut off after a certain distance from the main branch (but perhaps something to keep a note of potential claimant houses) and countries can have basic inheritance systems - most Europeams can use primogeniture, French can have a version with no queens and any appanage with duchess means reverting to throne etc.

Many republics in the game's timeframe had rulers who were in place for a while, were deposed/exiled/retired/term ended and later returned and a basic character system would help make that a thing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Otherwise agree, but.

Wouldn't pictures of them doing procreation lead to an M rating? ;)
It's not "No pictures of ... except", it's "No pictures or"

So: They shall not go off and do things on their own (except marry and procreate) and
there shall be no pictures of anything at all.

It's not "No pictures of ... except", it's "No pictures or"

So: They shall not go off and do things on their own (except marry and procreate) and
there shall be no pictures of anything at all.
As a non-native English speaker (or in this case, reader), I read it so that the part in parenthesis applied to both sides of the or equation. That is, "no (A or B) except C" when it's apparently meant "(no A) and (no B except C)".

But yeah, when read correctly, I agree with it also without dumb jokes. What first came to my mind was Total War Medieval 2, which has cutscenes for weddings, and also for spy actions and such.

1453 start date and having the Roman Empire not be laden with their insulting exonym "Byzantium" would be nice too.
Eastern Roman Empire
Basilea Rhomaion
Empire of the Romans
Roman Empire
are all valid names for the tag. "Byzantium" is not.
1707927692752.png

Reactions:
Just take MEIOU&Taxes 2.0 or 2.6, of course they are not perfect but its the best europa universalis experience we can have, and improve it up, dont look up the
3.0 version

• 1Like
Reactions: