Which aspects of other Paradox titles do you hope make it into EU5?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
nah. it's about exploration, discovery and colonisation. that's what the game should primarily be 'about.'

Should be does not mean is. If it was we would have a something akin to Vicky 2's liferating system by now so colonization is not some blind landgrab and a more meaningful and imposing tech system so most of the world doesn't end up on relative parity.

I will... dispute that, as someone who played a lot of EU3.
I also played a lot of EU3 and I don't really see how reexamining the concept of cultural tradition would be a bad thing.

I also played a lot of EU3 and I don't really see how reexamining the concept of cultural tradition would be a bad thing.
The only thing I'd keep is the name.

The only thing I'd keep is the name.
What do you find so objectionable about it? Obviously it couldn't be a direct port into EU4 but as far as EU3 criticism went I don't remember it being particularly singled out.

What do you find so objectionable about it? Obviously it couldn't be a direct port into EU4 but as far as EU3 criticism went I don't remember it being particularly singled out.
I'll admit that the biggest criticism was "the AI didn't do anything with it" (which is remediable), but there was nothing particularly inspiring about the design.

I'll admit that the biggest criticism was "the AI didn't do anything with it" (which is remediable), but there was nothing particularly inspiring about the design.

I agree it wasn't inspired either, but I'd prefer it or something that builds on it to just paying through the nose on an advisor roulette.

Reactions:
I agree it wasn't inspired either, but I'd prefer it or something that builds on it to just paying through the nose on an advisor roulette.
For those of us who don't know what you're talking about, what was Cultural Tradition? In a nutshell....

For those of us who don't know what you're talking about, what was Cultural Tradition? In a nutshell....
Basically, cultural tradition was the equivalent of army/naval traditions for advisors: the amount of it you had determined the selection and quality of advisors, and you had to spend some to hire them. It wasn't too engaging but it was something.

Reactions:
Basically, cultural tradition was the equivalent of army/naval traditions for advisors: the amount of it you had determined the selection and quality of advisors, and you had to spend some to hire them. It wasn't too engaging but it was something.
mmm. Sorry, but it does sound like a bit of a nothingburger.

I was just thinking the other day that poor old EUIV has had mechanic after mechanic after mechanic just piled on top of each other like a Jenga tower. I think V could definitely be a lot more streamlined without losing anything.

Last edited:
I was just thinking the other day that poor old EUIV has had mechanic after mechanic after mechanic just piled on top of each another like a Jenga tower. I think V could definitely be a lot more streamlined without losing anything.

Also content. Idea groups, govt reforms that no one ever picks; old missions that no one likes, some buttons that no one uses ever (settlement growth) buttons that everyone should use but that are weirdly hidden in the UI because they got decent only after a rework(expand infrastructure)

Some peeps talk about how we "don't need EU5" but honestly the best change that EU5 could bring would be just.. cleaning up. You can't even do that with EU4 because then you get people complaining about "Paradox nerfs".

EU4 is incredibly unwieldy and.. coarse? it'd benefit a lot from being streamlined as you say.

Reactions:
mmm. Sorry, but it does sound like a bit of a nothingburger.

I was just thinking the other day that poor old EUIV has had mechanic after mechanic after mechanic just piled on top of each another like a Jenga tower. I think V could definitely be a lot more streamlined without losing anything.
Oh I absolutely agree - but that content is generally superfluous to the core mechanics. Think for a moment about when the last time the structure or mechanics of the court were actually changed? The biggest change in that aspect I can remember is giving you the ability to promote advisors up to tier 5 to help address money becoming worthless because of so many stacking mechanics elsewhere. Similarly, it took the better part of a decade for mercenaries to get updated, and we're still using the same three unit types and combat mechanics and calculations, with the main difference being a few new variables and the ability to have innate bonuses to certain types of regiments. We're still using the same trade system as in 2013.

EU5 should absolutely be streamlined from the dlc jenga tower that is EU4, but it also needs to expand the fundamentals, which have mostly been neglected despite more than a decade of development. And by streamline I don't mean in the Vicky 3 way either.

Reactions:
Also content. Idea groups, govt reforms that no one ever picks; old missions that no one likes, some buttons that no one uses ever (settlement growth) buttons that everyone should use but that are weirdly hidden in the UI because they got decent only after a rework(expand infrastructure)

Some peeps talk about how we "don't need EU5" but honestly the best change that EU5 could bring would be just.. cleaning up. You can't even do that with EU4 because then you get people complaining about "Paradox nerfs".

EU4 is incredibly unwieldy and.. coarse? it'd benefit a lot from being streamlined as you say.
Back when I was actively modding EU4 it was a common in-joke with fellow modders that EU4 was held together with magic glue or had spaghetti code - because a lot of it was inherited from EU3, and I think it still shows a decade on. It's funny you mention settlement growth because that reminds me that EU4 still distinguishes between cities and provinces despite there being no meaningful mechanical distinction, which is solely because of how colonies were handled and how they ended up being developed mechanically down the line.

Reactions:
To anyone else reading this, did you know that this exists? Do you use it?
One tends to become aware of settlement growth, and the associated subject interaction, when figuring out why it's not possible to convert colonial subject's capital province.

I've used it as a way to park colonist(s) when there are no more provinces to be colonized. Then it has the problem that when some new building becomes available and one spams every province with it, the province(s) doing settlement growth miss out, as the settlement growth colonist(s) is already forgotten about. But by then not having some buildings in every province is not really critical.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I knew about Promote Settlement Growth because I used to habitually read the DDs and it was mentioned in one of them, but it also occupies a conspicuous spot on the provincial UI with a settler icon, which would help prompt someone curious to at least hover over it. Expand Infrastructure, on the other hand, being squirreled away into a sub-menu and having one of the most generic icons imaginable, is a perfect example of something like that.

Reactions:

it was pretty shit. it was basically a mana you used to get advisors.

Definitely an impactful system of cultures and religions, which the player has agency to reform, like in CK3.

Customizable colours, names and flags like Ck3 would also be amazing.

Reactions:
which basically amounts to "remember how you spent your campaign so far conquering stuff? now you can do that but FASTER".
Or "remember how you were managing your estates and giving privileges out? Now its time to remove ALL of those privileges!"
To anyone else reading this, did you know that this exists? Do you use it?
Only by accident, and by that I mean that the keybind for doing settlement growth is iirc C, which is also the button used to confirm events.... so if you have a lot of events at once... say maybe 20 provinces finished coring on the same day, and you hold down C to get rid of them, if you have a province open and a free colonist, that guy will now be promoting settler growth.
Its bad mostly because it also prevents you from constructing buildings while he's there, which is incredibly annoying.

Last edited:
Reactions: