Which aspects of other Paradox titles do you hope make it into EU5?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Pellucid

Ottoboos get out! Reeee!
112 Badges
Mar 17, 2005
  • War of the Roses
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Majesty 2
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
I was just playing CK3 and thinking about how awesome it is to make my own retinue of Men at Arms, and how it really makes different styles of warfare and unique regional and ethnic units feel unique, and that got me thinking about what things from other Paradox games I'd want in EU5. Then I thought, why not make a post about it and see what other people would like and if I forgot anything good. So here's my wishlist:
  • Something like CK3's Men at Arms to differentiate standing armies from levies.
  • Imperator's fort system, where forts occupy nearby lands unless those lands are also defended by forts.
  • Something like Imperator's Defensive League system for minor powers.
  • Something closer to EU2's colonization system, with separate trade posts and towns and a real possibility of colonies failing.
  • Something more like EU3's National Ideas system, rather than EU4's linear categories.
  • Something like Victoria 3's Diplomatic Incident system, so diplomacy feels more multi-layered and interactive.
  • Something like Hearts of Iron's Division designer so each nation's army feels different.
Anyway I'm sure some of you will hate things on my list, but if you do please post your own! I want to see what everyone thinks in general, not just what people think of my list in particular.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I really like idea sets (clarification: I mean groups). They allow for massive amounts of replayability, because:
- Events are tied to these groups
- Every group or combination of groups leads to different playstyles
- Different ideagroups leads to different policies. One wildcard choice, often allows for fairly significant changes in your playstyle, because the policies that are unlocked are vastly different.

If they are not implemented, I'd at least like to see a system that offers massive choices. Choosing = Losing is something that results in better play overall.

Also, probably unpopular, but I like national ideas too. I know they make some nations better than others for 'no apparent reason other than their history', but it's this unlevel playing field that makes EU4 interesting to me.

Last edited:
  • 18Like
Reactions:
The expanded character mechanics from CK.

Reactions:
Diplomatic capacity instead of diplomatic slots. Declaring a guarantee on a minor nation is by no means equal in weight to a fully-fledged alliance between two powers.

• 9Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
just some rambling and not thought through 100% but...

something like the branch office tab from stellaris used differently.

you have the province screen like before but additionally this tab with slots.

the tab could house trading posts in india or nanban trade ports in japan. "primitives" would be in this tab and take up slots and are no nations in the new world or australia and oceania.

i would not go so far to say make something like a megacorp in EU5 but if i think about it it has some possibilities. maybe your own estates, orders and so on could use some slots here too. the hansa could live in the slots alone.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Something like I:R's building system. I liked how a random tribal settlement feels so different to manage than a megaopolis. Not a pop system, but a bit more thought for province-level management.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Something like CK2/3 character management and court intrigue , not to the same depth although that would be ideal , but at least some sort of court intrigue and influence , as the era of EU4 is filled with such stuff historically speaking , courts didn't siese to exist after 1444. so yeah I hope they import most of the court/character intaeractions from CK2/3.

Also I hope they bring the army auto-pilot mode from Imperator Rome , especially when it comes to carpet sieging , once we defeat the enemy in battle there is no need for us to micro every single siege , just order your army around and be done with it , also I hope they make battles more decicive and give us some sort of influence/interactions with our armies in those battles.

Reactions:
An extremely minor thing: a return to base button from Stellaris for armies and navies, to make mid- & late-game post-war clean-up easier.
Would this also work for the problem of ordering a dozen trade fleets to port before declaring a major war, and ordering them back out after the war is done? Yes, there currently exists a toggle button that makes fleets go to port during war, but that does not prevent them from getting caught on day 1, and also has them return to port during a war against a landlocked OPM.

If yes, then that would be an extremely useful thing. Of course it may also be useful otherwise, although it sounds that it would require designating some ports or provinces as bases for navies and armies. I haven't played Stellaris in ages so I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Would this also work for the problem of ordering a dozen trade fleets to port before declaring a major war, and ordering them back out after the war is done? Yes, there currently exists a toggle button that makes fleets go to port during war, but that does not prevent them from getting caught on day 1, and also has them return to port during a war against a landlocked OPM.

If yes, then that would be an extremely useful thing. Of course it may also be useful otherwise, although it sounds that it would require designating some ports or provinces as bases for navies and armies. I haven't played Stellaris in ages so I don't really know what I'm talking about.
Yeah, basically just an ability to designate a province/port that a button would send the given army/fleet back to.

Reactions:
Diplomatic capacity instead of diplomatic slots. Declaring a guarantee on a minor nation is by no means equal in weight to a fully-fledged alliance between two powers.

What game is this mechanic from?

I like diplomatic capacity.

I would like a return to EU3-style ideas, or (better) a return and iteration on them.

I like that Victoria 3 tried to iterate on armies and warfare, but I think EU could further iterate on the idea. Combining it with CK3 men-at-arms would be a good way forward. In particular I think building the warfare game around garrisons instead of armies would be a step forward. You develop and station garrisons a la CK3 men-at-arms and can raise them as an army if you need them, or leave them in the province to resist the enemy in their ZOC in a quasi-Victoria 3 automated-defence-of-positions.

I loved Victoria 2's crisis system and think it should make a reappearance for handling high-tension events like the Thirty Years War and other potential alt history crises such as high-stakes succession wars.

I like Victoria's distinction between regular armies and mobilising citizens; I think that could plug neatly into a levies/irregulars/mercenaries/regulars system.

I'd like to see something in the vein of Victoria 2's laws and reforms system come across, for example for subject/estate management.

I would hate to see pops brought over (I'm glad to see them not mentioned... yet...).

I'd similarly hate to see CK3 character mechanics or indeed any character mechanics more than what we currently have.

I think CK3 is a great character-oriented game and Victoria is a great pops-oriented game and there's no need to make EU a crummy halfway-oriented game; it should be its own thing (and I think "its own core thing" should be subjects and estates and centralisation, which is basically the story of how we got from personalised power in the medieval world to mass politics in the modern world and would capture the relevant parts of both for the EU period).

something like the branch office tab from stellaris used differently.

you have the province screen like before but additionally this tab with slots.

the tab could house trading posts in india or nanban trade ports in japan. "primitives" would be in this tab and take up slots and are no nations in the new world or australia and oceania.
I've never so much as looked at Stellaris' Steam page, but this sounds potentially fascinating. If I'm understanding correctlyish it's a way for you to hold "territory" such as (say) a feitoria in another country's actual territory? I'm not certain how this maps onto primitives but that basic idea sounds awesome, I've been expecting something like that to come along since Divine Wind, and I can't believe it doesn't already exist.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
I would hate to see pops brought over (I'm glad to see them not mentioned... yet...).
I do want population mechanics, but I don't think we need pops. We really do need to differentiate backwaters from metropolises in some meaningful way. I'd probably give provinces a "population capacity" based on current technology, the size of the province, its location with regard to trade and infrastructure, and the terrain, along with a "current population" that trends toward the population capacity over time unless something impacts it, such as disease, war, or migration/refugees, with a simple percentage to show culture and religion. So basically as if there was one pop in every province which changed over time and never moved, just grew and shrank based on circumstances.

• 5Like
Reactions:
"its own core thing" should be subjects and estates and centralisation
nah. it's about exploration, discovery and colonisation. that's what the game should primarily be 'about.'

• 3Like
Reactions: