• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Androktonos

Corporal
1 Badges
Sep 7, 2018
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Hello, how are you? I'm playing a campaign as Galicia at the moment. It's 1486 and I've colonised most of Brazil, Caribbean and taken more than 50% of Creek and Aztecs lands. Besides, my very first core has been created on Pernambuco, so I set it as my capital...but it didn't work as I expected. I forgot that South America is a region itself so North America territories are still considered overseas. I think I should set my capital in North America since I feel it has a greater potential, but I would like to earn the most as possible from South America as well. An option would be to recreate the Spanish Empire, but I prefer to avoid it since I am trying to play tall. In addition, my first core in North America will be Barbados on 1502. I read in the EUIII wiki that provided your capital is at a distance of 250 or less (guess it works as colonial range) the territory isn't considered overseas...but I'm not so sure about that, because when I've played as Genoa or Venice and conquered Alexandria, it was an overseas province and I doubt it's so far away. Furthermore, Barbados is the closest North American province to my Brazilian provinces, so if that mechanic may work has to be in that province, right? Thanks in advance. (Sorry for the long paragraph, I'm using a new mobile phone and I don't see the key to set paragraphs in this keyboard).

As long as you have an unbroken land connection from your capital to a province it is not overseas. Thus it is a bad idea to put your capital on an island. Pernambuco is going to be fine. Mind that rebels can temporarily cut this say in panama.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
As long as you have an unbroken land connection from your capital to a province it is not overseas. Thus it is a bad idea to put your capital on an island. Pernambuco is going to be fine. Mind that rebels can temporarily cut this say in panama.
Yes, I've just checked it again and Barbados is considered an overseas province when Pernambuco is the capital so I guess it would work in the same dissapointing way if Barbados were the capital. I think I'll wait till 1512 when Campeche and Tohancapan achieve their cores. I want to set the capital on North America in order to collect the taxes from the wealthy Caribbean islands such as Cuba, as well as being able to collect the taxes from South America. It wasn't what I had planned since I was trying to play tall but whatever...I'll keep it in mind for future campaigns. Thank you.

Last edited:
Heh, didn't even think about the carribbean. You're right, you want your capital in mainland NA.
Also FYI, naval forcelimit works in a similar way. Provinces that are not land connected to your capital only contribute 1/20.
Having your capital on an island is just bad in this game.

"distance of 250" is calculated by a different measure the trade or colonial ranges. For reference, Castille's Toledo ranges only 7 provinces from Africa as 250 or less I recall. Fez is far enough to count as overseas.

I actually developed a test-decision to investigate what can a certain capital reach from a different continent without counting as overseas, but it might be a bit tricky to use if I don't walk one through its behavior. I'll add it at the end.

Back to topic though, you can be sure a capital in one America will not be able to serve most/all of the other America, unless, you connect both Americas by land, which obviously won't work if the capital was on an island.

Regarding naval force-limits, quoting the wiki here:
  • Contribution of provinces with no land connection to the capital (even on the same continent) is quartered.
  • Contribution of provinces on a different continent from the capital with a land connection is divided by 20.
Test-decision code:
Code:
    test_core_not_overseas_kitcat_decision = {
    # After running this test, you have to wait for the next month to start, so that any colonies formed would be destroyed.
        potential = {
            ai = no
        }
        allow = {
            ai = no
        }
        effect = {
            any_province = { # Core everything you own.
                limit = {
                    owned_by = THIS
                    NOT = { is_core = THIS }
                }
                add_core = THIS
            }
            any_province = { # Un-core everything you don't own.
                limit = {
                    NOT = { owned_by = THIS }
                    is_core = THIS
                }
                remove_core = THIS
            }
            any_province = { # Acquire everything already owned, except in your continent or at your borders.
                limit = {
                    empty = no
                    base_tax = 1 # There's a problem with wastelands being identified as owned provinces, and this seems reliable in identifying/excluding them.
                    NOT = { continent = THIS }
                    NOT = { any_neighbor_province = { is_core = THIS } }
                }
                secede_province = THIS
            }
            any_province = { # Colonize everything valid, except in your continent or at your borders.
                limit = {
                    empty = yes
                }
                create_colony = 1
                native_size = 20
                native_hostileness = 2000
                secede_province = THIS
            }
            any_province = {
                limit = {
                    owned_by = THIS
                    NOT = { is_core = THIS }
                    is_overseas = no
                }
                add_core = THIS
                secede_province = PREVIOUS_OWNER
            }
            any_province = {
                limit = {
                    owned_by = THIS
                    NOT = { is_core = THIS }
                    is_overseas = yes
                }
            }
        }
        ai_will_do = {
            factor = 0
        }
    }

EDIT: Added code stuff.

Hope this helps.

- KitCat.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I finally came to the conclusion that as long as a province is in a different region, it'll be considered overseas even though your capital is just 2 provinces away. That game mechanic doesn't work properly.

I haven't played recently to EU III since I've been more into Rome II lately, but I finally went absolutly wide in that Galicia's playthrough. I set the capital on Mexico and linked both regions rushing the colonization (it would have been quite a waste not linking with a well established Brazil). I came to the conclusion that the shortest way is through nowadays Peru and Paraguay, so I rushed in that direction. When they were linked, omg, what a economic and manpower boom I had.

I'll post it when I have time, it's really a superb empire, so powerful that I began to declare wars in Europe just for fun around 1600. Probably, my best campaign so far. I tried to do an AAR, but I can't find the F12 screenshots in this PC.

"distance of 250" is calculated by a different measure the trade or colonial ranges. For reference, Castille's Toledo ranges only 7 provinces from Africa as 250 or less I recall. Fez is far enough to count as overseas.

I actually developed a test-decision to investigate what can a certain capital reach from a different continent without counting as overseas, but it might be a bit tricky to use if I don't walk one through its behavior. I'll add it at the end.

Back to topic though, you can be sure a capital in one America will not be able to serve most/all of the other America, unless, you connect both Americas by land, which obviously won't work if the capital was on an island.

Regarding naval force-limits, quoting the wiki here:
  • Contribution of provinces with no land connection to the capital (even on the same continent) is quartered.
  • Contribution of provinces on a different continent from the capital with a land connection is divided by 20.
Test-decision code:
Code:
    test_core_not_overseas_kitcat_decision = {
    # After running this test, you have to wait for the next month to start, so that any colonies formed would be destroyed.
        potential = {
            ai = no
        }
        allow = {
            ai = no
        }
        effect = {
            any_province = { # Core everything you own.
                limit = {
                    owned_by = THIS
                    NOT = { is_core = THIS }
                }
                add_core = THIS
            }
            any_province = { # Un-core everything you don't own.
                limit = {
                    is_core = THIS
                }
                remove_core = THIS
            }
            any_province = { # Acquire everything already owned, except in your continent or at your borders.
                limit = {
                    empty = no
                    base_tax = 1 # There's a problem with wastelands being identified as owned provinces, and this seems reliable in identifying/excluding them.
                }
                secede_province = THIS
            }
            any_province = { # Colonize everything valid, except in your continent or at your borders.
                limit = {
                    empty = yes
                }
                create_colony = 1
                native_size = 20
                native_hostileness = 2000
                secede_province = THIS
            }
            any_province = {
                limit = {
                    owned_by = THIS
                    NOT = { is_core = THIS }
                    is_overseas = no
                }
                add_core = THIS
            }
            any_province = {
                limit = {
                    owned_by = THIS
                    NOT = { is_core = THIS }
                    is_overseas = yes
                }
            }
        }
        ai_will_do = {
            factor = 0
        }
    }

EDIT: Added code stuff.

Hope this helps.

- KitCat.
Hey, I don't have a clue about codes, but that seems extremely interesting in order to figure out whether a province will be considered overseas. How does it work?