Where would you set the capital on America?

Where would you set the capital on America?

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Androktonos

Corporal
1 Badges
Sep 7, 2018
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
Hello, how are you? I'm playing a campaign as Galicia at the moment. It's 1486 and I've colonised most of Brazil, Caribbean and taken more than 50% of Creek and Aztecs lands. Besides, my very first core has been created on Pernambuco, so I set it as my capital...but it didn't work as I expected. I forgot that South America is a region itself so North America territories are still considered overseas. I think I should set my capital in North America since I feel it has a greater potential, but I would like to earn the most as possible from South America as well. An option would be to recreate the Spanish Empire, but I prefer to avoid it since I am trying to play tall. In addition, my first core in North America will be Barbados on 1502. I read in the EUIII wiki that provided your capital is at a distance of 250 or less (guess it works as colonial range) the territory isn't considered overseas...but I'm not so sure about that, because when I've played as Genoa or Venice and conquered Alexandria, it was an overseas province and I doubt it's so far away. Furthermore, Barbados is the closest North American province to my Brazilian provinces, so if that mechanic may work has to be in that province, right? Thanks in advance. (Sorry for the long paragraph, I'm using a new mobile phone and I don't see the key to set paragraphs in this keyboard).

Nim2

Captain
4 Badges
Oct 20, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
As long as you have an unbroken land connection from your capital to a province it is not overseas. Thus it is a bad idea to put your capital on an island. Pernambuco is going to be fine. Mind that rebels can temporarily cut this say in panama.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:

Androktonos

Corporal
1 Badges
Sep 7, 2018
As long as you have an unbroken land connection from your capital to a province it is not overseas. Thus it is a bad idea to put your capital on an island. Pernambuco is going to be fine. Mind that rebels can temporarily cut this say in panama.
Yes, I've just checked it again and Barbados is considered an overseas province when Pernambuco is the capital so I guess it would work in the same dissapointing way if Barbados were the capital. I think I'll wait till 1512 when Campeche and Tohancapan achieve their cores. I want to set the capital on North America in order to collect the taxes from the wealthy Caribbean islands such as Cuba, as well as being able to collect the taxes from South America. It wasn't what I had planned since I was trying to play tall but whatever...I'll keep it in mind for future campaigns. Thank you.

Last edited:

Nim2

Captain
4 Badges
Oct 20, 2009
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Heh, didn't even think about the carribbean. You're right, you want your capital in mainland NA.
Also FYI, naval forcelimit works in a similar way. Provinces that are not land connected to your capital only contribute 1/20.
Having your capital on an island is just bad in this game.