• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

safferli

academic outlaw
114 Badges
Mar 10, 2006
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
This thread is not to be used for technical support. To receive tech support, or report bugs, please register your EU3 games to get access to the appropriate subforums.

This thread is only for discussions and help concerning Steam issues, forum/CD key problems, and where to buy the game.

Europa Universalis 3 is a grand stategy game developed and published by Paradox Interactive. Over the years, it has received four expansions, so getting the correct game can feel difficult. This is the list of base games, expansions, and collections of the game so far:

Table of Contents
Where to buy the game
Steam FAQ (also: how to get your forum key from Steam)

Last edited:
Where to buy the game

digital

retail

• Amazon

(Please PM me and I'll add further outlets!)

Last edited:
  • Q: I just bought EU3 Complete/HTTT/DW/Chronicles off Steam but where do I get my CD Key from to put into the forums?

A: When you have the game selected, on the right are a bunch of links, click the CD Key link. A box will pop up with all your CD keys. The Europa Universalis 3 one is for Complete.

oYYt5.jpg

• Q: Steam downloaded an update automatically, and its caused [insert problem here]. Can I get it to stop automatically downloading updates?

A: Yes, right click on the game in your library, click properties. You'll get a pop up box, with 5 tabs. Click the UPDATES tab, and from the drop down box, choose 'Do not automatically update this game' EU3 will never patch itself with this setting.

nopatches.jpg

[*]Q: I just bought/redownloaded EU3 Complete/HTTT/DW/Chronicles off steam, and its installed the latest patch/game. I don't want to use that, its incompatible with x.

A: Unfortunately, when steam downloads/installs a game, it will automatically go to the latest patch. You are unable to stop it at 4.0 for example, it will go automatically to 4.1. There is no way to toggle this. You can't roll back to any previous version once the newer one has been installed. Example: If you buy Chronicles or Divine Wind, you can only only play Divine Wind, not any of the other previous expansions.

UPDATE 2014
  • Steam now has a feature to not use DLC, which means you are able to turn off HTTT or Divine Wind. Note that this will still give you the most recent patch on that expansion.
    In Nomine: 3.2
    HTTT: 4.1
    Divine Wind: 5.2

JPHvnvh.png

How to do this:
    Right click the game in your steam library
    Click "Properties"
    Click the "DLC" tab
    Untick the boxes for the DLC you do not want to load.
    uXcQvdE.png

Click "Close"
    Once you do that, the game will initiate a download to remove the DLC (It was 24.8mb for me to disable both expansions)

• Q: I've heard that Steam doesn't work well with mods, how do you get it to run mods?

A: Its quite simple really. Again, all you have to do is right click EU3 in your steam library, choose properties, then on the box, click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... From that box, enter '-mod [mod folder name]'. To get the mod folder name, if you don't know, you go to: [Where you installed steam]\steam\steamapps\common\europa universalis iii - complete\mod
    You take the name of the mod folder exactly and enter it into the launch options box. For example, I want to play the Whole World Mod. I take a look and find out the mod folder is called 'WholeWorld'. When that's done, launching the game will launch the mod.

VLbYS.jpg

• Q: I was doing some modifications of my own to the game, but now [problem] is happening! How do I get the game back to normal?

A: Right click Eu3 in your library, choose properties, from the box, the tab LOCAL FILES, then the option VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE... This will automatically restore your game to the latest patch. If it still won't launch try this again, it sometimes misses a few files. (It has to re-download those that are not correct)

gamecache.jpg

• Q: I want to use the beta patch with the steam install, how do I do it?

A: Unrar the beta patch onto your steam install and it will work, no added steps needed. To go back to a non beta patch, verify files, as explained above.

• Q: Where is my game located? I don't know where to install a mod to!

A: Wherever you installed steam; \steamapps\common\europa universalis iii - complete\

• Q: I have [games] from [places], can I buy their expansions on steam and have it all work?

A: No, the base games must be purchased on Steam for the expansions to be bought and installed.

• Q: What about the other way around, base game on steam, expansions from somewhere else? (Gamersgate for example)

A: You can try your luck, it works for some people and not for others. It is best not to risk it though, stick to the one platform for that line of games.

Last edited:
If you have any questions regarding Steam, or where to buy the game you may post here, and we'll try our best to answer them.

This thread is NOT for technical support. It may ONLY be used for questions regarding purchases of the game, including Steam questions.

I bought Chronicles today but when trying to put the keys in (it gave me one for EUIII, HTTT, and DW) the EUIII one says its invalid. I've tried putting it into the normal field, Complete field, and the Chronicles field. I don't know if I messed up anything and was wondering if someone could help.

Thanks

Hm, strange. As the other keys work, you could ask Steam if their key was correct. Or, PM Kallocain here on the forums. She is the community manager and can usually help out in cases like these. :)

Bought Chronicles on Steam and same problem as CaoCao. Will follow safferli´s advice but it looks like there´s something fishy with the steam code for EU3 complete (HTTT and DW register without problems).

Have you tried multiple times?

It took me about 5 goes with the exact same code to get mine registered.

same problem with invalid cdkey from steam-bought eu3 chronicles, can't register to the forum, can't download patches -.- tried in nomine, complete, chronicles, eu3, none worked...

Yea, I'm sorry to hear with the Steam problems. Let's hope this gets sorted out quickly! :)

This used to work fine, but in the last two weeks or so a lot of people who bought DW from Steam are reporting this. We have some threads in the Forum Help forum saying the same thing.

I can only guess they've run out of EU3, EU3:Complete or Chronicles codes. They will need to request more from Paradox; please bother Steam until they do this.

And Kallocain has started a thread here on the topic. All further posts on this specific issue (Steam not providing EU3 forum keys with Chronicles) in that thread please, not here.

Ok, i have done what you said with the launch options when running a mod but it seems when i launch Wholeworld and Magna Mundi Ultimate my only mods, it either crashes in the loading screen or runs the vanilla game. I don't have Chronicles but i have everything and ive downloaded the latest HttT versions of these mods.

PM or post in tech support and PM me a link of screenshots of what you have in the launch command and what your mod folder looks like.

(Don't think I'm meant to help you further than that in this thread)