• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello, I've been following this AAR from the stone age, but I've never posted a boast (at least not as far as I remember)
Anyways
Really really good AAR, Yogi, it really inspired me to try AARs myself. This AAR has become some kind of religion to me, heh. Seriously, nice work
Splendid work to you too VJ, you make it sound as if it really happened ;)
Keep up the good work guys!

‘The Golden Years’ – 1947 – 1960, part two.

By the early fifties life was finally, after so many years of strife and turmoil, beginning to settle down in North America. The PR in particular was becoming one of the most prosperous states in the Western World. Its economy was booming, its relatively liberal (At least, relative to the rest of the west) government allowed its citizens a degree of freedom of expression that was unheard of elsewhere. Cultural and artistic life flourished. “The Athens of the Pacific” was how many described this phenomenon, and it was not so great an exaggeration. The states of North America, although not truly legitimate in the eyes of their populations, were at least becoming tolerated instead of looked upon with loathing.

The forces of the Reich were now suffering from serious overstretch. Deployments in almost every continent in the world were simply unsustainable. Hitler had apparently planned to renege on the decision to make the PR a neutral buffer in North America, but the freedom to do so was simply not available. In any case, as Hitler himself stated “It is a damn idiocy to have thousands of men sitting motionless and inactive in areas which are pacified, becoming bloated and unfit. These men, like every generation, require a taste of war and violence otherwise they cannot accurately term themselves men.”

In accordance, men were wholly withdrawn from the PR (‘Officially’, at least, although the PR would still have to depend on German military resources for some time yet.) and were cut in most other areas of North America, largely to be redeployed in Asia and the Eastern territories. The PR and other areas were encouraged to build up their own forces to share the burden.

An event that gained little attention at the time was the election of Richard Nixon as President of the PR in 1956, after Warren’s retirement. Given the PR’s constrained nature in terms of foreign policy, this was almost ignored internationally. However, it would later prove to be a decisive event, for Nixon would be the man who would ultimately preside over the break-up of the PR. By the end of the fifties, no one could have predicted that in a few short years, the peace would be shattered, and the PR would cease to exist. It be a process largely driven by the flow of outside events and the dynamics of world politics. And it would lead to North America becoming another bloody and bitter war zone, and almost ending up as a continental equivalent of the cruiser Danzig.

rmn.jpg

The beginning of the end.

Last edited:
Prologue.

The Cold War had been kind to North America so far. Much of the conflict between Japan and Germany had been directed into theatres much removed from it. Most of the manoeuvring of the Cold War had so far taken place in South America (Expressed through conflicts such as the Chilean-Argentine war of 1951.) and South Asia, where Japan supposedly funded Indian guerrillas everywhere from the Punjab to Bengal. Germany, however, seemed in the ascendancy. Germany, together with her puppets and allies, controlled Europe, and through Europe, much of the Middle East and Africa, directly or indirectly. And, of course, North America.

That would change in a few short years – faster than anyone could possibly imagine. It would not take generations for Germany’s hold over much of its conquests to crumble, but less than a decade. Just as one man had so mercilessly pushed Germany into a global conflict from which it had emerged in greater triumph than anyone had ever dreamed of, so to, a handful of men would once again turn the fate of Germany and the world around.

Mexico had so far been largely ignored by the world ever since the great Erwin Rommel rode at the head of his column of panzers into Mexico City and effectively terminated organised resistance to Germany in North America. With that act, the hostilities, which had gripped the world for the better part of a decade, were over.

Rommel himself settled down to a life as Governor-General of Mexico – his first effective taste of political power. Rommel’s provisional regime ruled Mexico effectively, under the circumstances. Rommel eventually departed, and the cloak of obscurity once again faded over Mexico.

By the mid fifties, Mexico was showing the strain. In contrast to the PR, the economy had faltered ever since the country had been conquered. Invasion followed by instability had not done Mexico any favours. The government had invested heavily in arms, to the extent where the burden of loans was intense. The problems came to a head in early 1957, when food shortages combined with economic failure presided over by a corrupt and unpopular government pushed Mexico’s population over the edge.

Events moved faster than anyone could have predicted. Within a week the government had effectively lost the will to resist the mass rioting and violence, which rocked the country. Mexico was beginning to vent it’s fury after years of unhappiness and frustration, surely not helped by the knowledge that their ‘brothers’ over the border in Baja California were enjoying unprecedented good fortune, even if as cheap labour in upper California. A huge mob, numbering tens of thousands sacked the offices of the Popular Nationalists, the ruling party in Mexico. Mexico City was in flames. As one Times journalist wrote, “The passion and fervour of the mob is absolute and simply indescribable. Much of the power and authority of the state has effectively been demolished in so short a period, and we are witnessing a state of advanced anarchy.”

Naturally, this did not sit well with the government of the Reich. The Final Straw came when a hastily-established liberal provisional government of national unity requested that “All friendly nations should lend their utmost support to Mexico in this, it’s hour of greatest need.” – code, it was supposed, for the establishment of ‘Eastern Relations’, and the Abwehr and SD jumped on the opportunity to link the whole series of events with a larger policy by Japan designed to make inroads into Central America. (Although the actual evidence for the present situation in Mexico being a part of this remained sketchy to non-existent.)

Heydrich, now fancying himself as an expert on North America and hoping to gain a foothold in foreign policy more generally, was the most vocal in the support for the idea of a military intervention to ‘restore order’. Goering needed little goading, although the army in was reluctant to become involved in an obvious quagmire situation.

Accordingly, on the 26th of February, 1957, Goering announced to the Reichstag that Germany was mobilising a military “expedition”, which, in co-operation with Confederate allies, would be tasked with the restoration of order to Mexico.

Germany would be invading Mexico for a second time. And it was highly doubtful that this time anyone would be riding with ease at the head of a panzer column into Mexico City.

Coming soon – The Grey Storm by The Yogi.​

Last edited:
Well, I get to have a rest now and Yogi takes over. :D

PDF complete!

Well, after having finally given up on anyone ever making a PDF version of this (totally excellent) AAR, I decided to get off of my lazy ass and do it myself.

The final PDF file is 15MB's and 405 (!) pages long.

In order to keep the job reasonably small I've only included Yogi's posts, and only those directly related to the AAR itself.

I've made a few minor layout changes, mostly added some newlines here and there to make sure images and their subtitles end up on the same page, but in a few cases also to make the text flow more naturally.

I've removed the image subtitles on images that no longer existed.

In two cases I've subtituted a no-longer-existing image with similar images taken from wikipedia.

Problem is, I've got no reasonable place to host the damn thing.
If you know of a place/places I can host the file please drop me an email.
I'd prefer to host it on a HoI related site rather than a free site.

Anyway, as soon as I've got file hosted somewhere I'll post a link here.

- Neophyte

Congratulations- that's a task that's needed doing for a very long time. It's good to see someone putting in the effort to save these great AARs.

I wish I could help on the hosting issue, but I'm affraid I lack both the skills and resources to be of any use.

Very well done! Let's hope that someone offers to host this soon.

Doesn't work for me atm, although my connection is pretty awful. :(

Good work, though!

Thank you for doing this, Neophyte! Splendid job, it looks much better than my first attempts with Word. It's a great relief that this has finally been done.

Do you mind if I link to the file in my sig?

I am downloading it now. Should take me a bit, but it will be worth it.

Feel free to do whatever you like with it.
I don't consider this in any way to be my work, so if you want to make any changes or anything feel free, as long as Yogi doesn't mind... :)

Only caveat is if you want to host a copy of it somewhere, in which case I'd appreciate it if you sent me an email. I only consider this to be 98% complete, and if/when I make some changes to it I'd like to notify anyone who hosts copies. (In particular this version doesn't actually credit Yogi, or link to this thread, which is something I'm gonna change pretty soon).

If case anyone's interested I did the PDF using OpenOffice (freely available at www.openoffice.org).

- Neophyte

Neo,

While you're changing this, could you please include the final "What happened to..." posts, which aren't in there now. Thanks!

Neophyte said:
Feel free to do whatever you like with it.
I don't consider this in any way to be my work, so if you want to make any changes or anything feel free, as long as Yogi doesn't mind... :)

Only caveat is if you want to host a copy of it somewhere, in which case I'd appreciate it if you sent me an email. I only consider this to be 98% complete, and if/when I make some changes to it I'd like to notify anyone who hosts copies. (In particular this version doesn't actually credit Yogi, or link to this thread, which is something I'm gonna change pretty soon).

If case anyone's interested I did the PDF using OpenOffice (freely available at www.openoffice.org).

- Neophyte

The Yogi said:
Neo,

While you're changing this, could you please include the final "What happened to..." posts, which aren't in there now. Thanks!

Done and done.

The PDF is now updated to include the "What happened to" posts, and a short postscript crediting Yogi (and Vincent Julien for the last "What happened to" posts).

www.randomtech.org/misc/hoi2/aar/where_the_iron_crosses_grow.pdf

- Neophyte

Hey Yogi... a number of the linked pictures aren't working, and I thought at one point you mentioned you had these plus some additional pictures you were going to try and use for your PDF version. Do you still have these pics, and can you post em?

P.S. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the AR, btw...

LordOfMars said:
Hey Yogi... a number of the linked pictures aren't working, and I thought at one point you mentioned you had these plus some additional pictures you were going to try and use for your PDF version. Do you still have these pics, and can you post em?

P.S. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the AR, btw...

OK, will scan through to see what pics I can fix. I haven't removed any of those I hosted myself, but some in the guest posts are gone for good, alas.