• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
that makes sense in a way.
but the ares convention was set aside during the reunification war and completely renounced before the first succession war.
at best they are used as guidelines not as any hard and fast rule.

Right, but I was thinking along the line of "manufacturers were building things to these specs intentionally" rather than "they're too stupid to build kilometer-range weapons".

i like this reasoning...

...mostly because Pirates and border worlds would throw caution to the wind and cease tactical advantages by aftermarket upgrades to whichever weapons they could. It would be nice to see outlier systems and Pirates proactively ceasing whatever advantage they could find. : )

And once more I wind up browsing TV Tropes for some things, and realize the game has its own page getting built up separate from the basic "BattleTech" page. But of note, they put up their own characters page for the Backer pilots and so forth...

It needs more love if anyone feels like doing it :) I would, but I have other writing work on my desk. (And a second Career to contemplate starting later this year.)

... but I have other writing work on my desk. (And a second Career to contemplate starting later this year.)
Contemplation of a second career... excellent! Contemplate well, enjoy the journey, and may good luck await you whatever the outcome of your contemplation. :bow:

Contemplation of a second career... excellent! Contemplate well, enjoy the journey, and may good luck await you whatever the outcome of your contemplation. :bow:
I meant game run, my "career" right now is something I need to keep for another two years. Minimum.

But as far as the HBS Career Mode run to ponder... I've got promises to keep, and too many Jumps before I sleep.

I used to consider the backwards slide to worshipping technology as ludicrous, insensible, and too much of borrowing from the Foundation series.

... then I see YouTube comments.

"Oh wise and mighty algorithm, deliver this video to the top of the multitude's feeds, in your wisdom."

And I wonder if it's possible to send a Star of Jade Falcon elementals back in time to NOW to clean up this particular mess.

That could be an interesting story.

-Time travelers go back in time to prevent tech cult from gaining power
-Locals start worshipping time travelers due to advanced technology
-Time travelers realize they created the tech cult (as is appropriate for a time travel story)

That could be an interesting story.

-Time travelers go back in time to prevent tech cult from gaining power
-Locals start worshipping time travelers due to advanced technology
-Time travelers realize they created the tech cult (as is appropriate for a time travel story)

See, I've had a double-dose of weird.

One of the things I do is handle boxes which are getting shipped. So sometime last year (of course, 2020) I see boxes of wireless networking equipment going from a company called "ComStar" to a place called "Skynet".

If it had been any other year, I'd have laughed.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
So sometime last year (of course, 2020) I see boxes of wireless networking equipment going from a company called "ComStar" to a place called "Skynet".

If it had been any other year, I'd have laughed.
That's capital-N, capital-G, Not Good.

I take it these boxes had an "unfortunate accident" and you saved the timeline? ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's capital-N, capital-G, Not Good.

I take it these boxes had an "unfortunate accident" and you saved the timeline? ;)

I can neither confirm or deny such an event possibly could have occurred.

I can confirm I let my supervisor, Blake, handle it.

I'm kidding. the guy's name was Conrad.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
…so we ahould expect Skynet‘s imminent realization of its Singularity. #good2know

: )

Aaaand just received my tracking number for my Kickstarter package.

Soon. Very soon. This will also give me something to beat my brother with over the head until he agrees to help me on the White Reach material. Both finishing the campaign and getting things down correctly.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Aaaand just received my tracking number for my Kickstarter package...
Congratulations! :bow: I was wondering which of our regular forum contributors would be the first to receive their Wave 2 shipment. Any chance of some unboxing pics? : )

Congratulations! :bow: I was wondering which of our regular forum contributors would be the first to receive their Wave 2 shipment. Any chance of some unboxing pics? : )

Well.. there is a CHANCE... :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Okay, I have all three boxes (two arrived last afternoon, one just now) so I feel I can do an unboxing series of pictures. However...

... how should I put it up? The Kickstarter topic is now too old to post into, I don't necessarily want to post a bunch of images on this topic - as great a diversion as it could be. I'm also not sure I should start a new topic just for my own unboxing to brag about what I got!

So... options? I'm planning on opening it tonight, after dinner, when I can co-opt the table :)

Okay, I have all three boxes (two arrived last afternoon, one just now) so I feel I can do an unboxing series of pictures. However...

... how should I put it up? The Kickstarter topic is now too old to post into, I don't necessarily want to post a bunch of images on this topic - as great a diversion as it could be. I'm also not sure I should start a new topic just for my own unboxing to brag about what I got!

So... options? I'm planning on opening it tonight, after dinner, when I can co-opt the table :)
Why not start a Community Unboxing and Painting thread!

I ordered an airbrush kit, a mess of paints & washes and was going to start a Paint Thread. Then I could ask you, @Hatchy and anyone who cares to, how best to start painting my Catalyst miniatures (BattleTech and Leviathans.) I really want to collect and paint my favorite BATTLETECH Lance (Firestarter, Hatchetman x2 and Trebuchet - 20m) and Sol’s Star fanfiction unit (Marauder, Griffin, Hunchback x2, Catapult.)

As our first unboxer, it would be most appropriate if you start the thread and then we all could just join in the fun.

Sounds good?

As our first unboxer, it would be most appropriate if you start the thread and then we all could just join in the fun.

Sounds good?

Except for the part where I go first, but what the heck... I was among the first person doing fanfic on the old HBS forums (I think some others beat me to it, especially the Capellan) so I'll get over it :)

My brother was offering to video it but I'm still discussing it. Probably photos, and maybe I'll even open some of the stuff I'm interested in to give a brief overview. (The Initiative Deck, Pilot Decks...)

• 1Like
Reactions:
It is done.

Now, I gotta poke around the contents a bit more. The Pilot Cards all look interesting as they've got some options in there for if I take this stuff to a game store and want to let people play with "non-standard Pilots". The Initiative Deck looks like a cool idea, but the packaging... as soon as I open the decks to check out the cards, I'll have trouble getting them back in the box. It also has rules for a five-suited game like poker in it, which is... nice, gives some flavor. Dunno if I'd ever play with it unless I was running a more RPG-style BattleTech game (oh if only DFA had these on hand to play with in one of their episodes!).

My brother, filthy Clanner he is, ran off with the Jade Falcon pin... going to have to try to beat him at a game to get it back.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, that moment you find out BattleTech has what amounts to creepypasta...

The Black Marauder.

• 3Like
Reactions: