• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was watching a Toy Galaxy video about GI Joe PSAs (mostly about the meme videos that came from it).

This made me think...Wouldn't the BattleTech Cartoon be ideal for these? I mean, when Adam Steiner's main tag line is..."Information is Ammunition", that just screams PSA. It's like "Knowing is half the battle", but maybe a bit less catchy.

I threw it in here as it didn't seem whole thread worthy. :)

#threadworthy

Luckily I feel no compunction to be so introspective. : )

This made me think...Wouldn't the BattleTech Cartoon be ideal for these? I mean, when Adam Steiner's main tag line is..."Information is Ammunition", that just screams PSA. It's like "Knowing is half the battle", but maybe a bit less catchy.

I recall one of the Hyper RPG Q&As with Jordan on there said two things:

- They had to make the CGI worse to not make other people look bad.
- "Information is Ammunition" was added thanks to studio meddling for some sort of 'message' because studio execs feel safer backing something "copying" successful; in this case GI Joe as a "military-themed" cartoon.

I recall one of the Hyper RPG Q&As with Jordan on there said two things:

- They had to make the CGI worse to not make other people look bad.
- "Information is Ammunition" was added thanks to studio meddling for some sort of 'message' because studio execs feel safer backing something "copying" successful; in this case GI Joe as a "military-themed" cartoon.

I don't blame them when it comes to trying to think of a message. By the mid 90s, Saturday Morning Cartoons were in their death spiral. Parenting groups pushing for educational programming over cartoon/toy tie-ins were gathering steam.

Funny thing though, other than the saying, I can't think of anything educational being stated lol.

Anyway, I do wish the cartoon was released on home video of some sort. If own it. YouTube works, but most episodes are 240p, which is rougher than the dialog :).

Anyway, I do wish the cartoon was released on home video of some sort.

Say it with me now: B.L.I.S.S. - BattleTech Licensing Issues Simply Suck!

Say it with me now: B.L.I.S.S. - BattleTech Licensing Issues Simply Suck!

Now we know, and knowing is half the battle :).

Seriously though, yes it does. It has to be one of the worst victims of it :(

Okay, silly diversion. Silly, wholesome diversion from the world today. (And the world in 3025. Remember to pay your ComStar bill after accessing the video.)

And now for the weather:

For those wondering, that's in Arizona (US).

And now for the weather:

For those wondering, that's in Arizona (US).

bah thats normal.....lived there back in late 90s and 00s in a small town near Suprise.

And a photo of a game of "Eclipse", in progress.

IMG_20200125_153608_542.jpg

Amusing anecdote.

My brother has been playing BattleTech now that we have a good computer for it, and I pointed out he could wander across the non-aligned territory and showed him there were planets as far as the FWL corner. "Wait, I can just . . . go over there? And not worry about time limits?" "...yeah?" And thus he began his slow crawl along the Capellan border towards Zathras.

Whereupon he fell into a "Clash of the Titans" mission, salvaged a KGC-0000 King Crab from the Planetary Government, and returned to bring it to Smithon for a liberation.

Achievement Unlocked: “The Lord Commander’s Bequest.”

2EFAC035-97FA-426E-B1D1-8FD294F3EBCB.jpeg

And learned just what can make Smithon such a pain - almost wound up taking critical damage, but the Crab soaked four turns of everyone's attention. For some reason, they just focused fire on it until it was out of line of sight. Beyond that, he managed to complete all the bonus objectives, but he did drop . . . exceedingly heavy for the mission, I suppose. And with very customized machines - the King Crab being the least of which as he'd stuffed four Small Lasers into it so it could melee-squash things which ran up on it. A Black Knight with two LLs and four MLs with adequate cooling, a Quickdraw which had an ER PPC, ER ML, and ML+++ in it (and a lot of cooling), a Grasshopper with two PPCs, jump jets, heat sinks, and armored up. Took to the cliffs behind the depot with it and proceeded to fire down on things once the escaping trucks were dealt with. Followed up with "Served Cold" where Victoria - for some reason - decided to close to melee range with the King Crab. I think he cleaned that mission up rather fast, though he managed to avoid really parsing the hint there was a kill team spawning in :)

He is still vastly annoyed with how often Darius feels the urge to remind you "we're almost broke, Commander" "our nest egg is almost gone" (we clocked it at every three days, which is a pain while in transit and having no way to actually DO anything about it). He was also under the impression, until I told him, he had to keep getting ammo at the store and it was getting used up and auto-replaced after missions. (Frankly, that sounds like a mod component I heard of before.) But he's enjoying the heck out of the game now that he gets a chance to play it with no distractions and a good PC.

... for some reason, though, his Urban biome looked "cartoonish and bright" during the daytime, with supposedly the same settings I was using. (Mine looked different.) I have no idea. But I do know the biome still is a performance hit which hung the PC for one second as it loaded the terrain.

He is still vastly annoyed with how often Darius feels the urge to remind you "we're almost broke, Commander" "our nest egg is almost gone" (we clocked it at every three days, which is a pain while in transit and having no way to actually DO anything about it). He was also under the impression, until I told him, he had to keep getting ammo at the store and it was getting used up and auto-replaced after missions. (Frankly, that sounds like a mod component I heard of before.) But he's enjoying the heck out of the game now that he gets a chance to play it with no distractions and a good PC.
He should only be getting told every 1 to 2 weeks...
"NotifLowFundsQtrRemainThreshold": 2,
"NotifLowFundsRecurrence": 14,
"NotifDangerLowFundsQtrRemainThreshold": 1,
"NotifDangerLowFundsRecurrence": 7,

Guessing he must have dipped from 2 months to 1 month to get that 3 day thing.

Diversions? How about another event which happened while a certain someone was in recovery. (Again.)

Lucky Dekker.jpg

If he’s hurt and in the hospital, he ain’t in the field and getting dead... that’s pretty darn lucky in my book. :bow:

: )

Absolutely true...in the Lore anyway. Fortunately this game is not 100% following the lore. Although, it might make for an interesting campaign of you trying to outrun every Great House and ComStar across known space just trying to stay alive. ;)

Part of it also comes down to the subtle disconnect between the lore framework used for the fictional books and then games (TT and computer games that focus on particular narratives) and also how this evolved over the decades, very challenging to make all three align 100% if even possible, which I am not sure it is.

One primary point to consider though this is just between and nearly overlapping the 3rd and 4th Succession War so there is much fragmentation-distractions.
Case in point is the Helm memory core involved a Combine noble rather than the leading house, and as you mention ComStar looking to destroy this but importantly it had to be done via subtle means and not a direct confrontation using their resources.
Helm memory core is probably one of the biggest SLDF cache lore milestones in terms of the Battletech universe framework, it influences so many books and also referenced by many different sources.
The actual named SLDF caches-bases in lore is pretty low somewhere around 8-12 from memory, but seems to me to keep the game relevant the lore framework was expanded to allow various others to be used for scenarios in TT and the computer games such as the Brian castles where planets are named on Sarna.

It also probably does not help the Battletech IP-licenses has gone through a few hands (even when internal to say Topps) and has seen the classification such as Classic Battletech and Battletech for licensing-branding purposes in the past.

Snapshot of that.
BattleTech was created by FASA, who held the IP rights to the universe up until they withdrew from the market in 2001. They licensed limited rights to a number of third parties (such as Ral Partha to produce miniatures, publishing houses for comics, and later Roc Books for the novels, among others). The rights to produce computer games were with FASA Interactive, which was eventually sold - including the IP rights to computer games - to Microsoft.

In 2001, FASA ceased its active operations and the BattleTech IP (minus the computer games license now held by Microsoft) was transferred to WizKids, a new firm owned by FASA co-founder Jordan Weisman. WizKids split the IP, creating Classic BattleTech and MechWarrior: Dark Age as separate brands.

The Classic BattleTech IP was licensed to FanPro, a German games publisher who had previously produced the German edition of BattleTech, in the summer of 2001. FanPro had created FanPro LLC, a US-based sister company, to continue the original, English-language BattleTech line.
Meanwhile, WizKids produced a new Clix-based game in the MechWarrior: Dark Age setting, set almost a century after the current BattleTech timeline.

In 2003, WizKids was bought by the Topps company. In the same year, they granted a license to InMediaRes to publish new, canon BattleTech material on the internet, which led to the creation of the BattleCorps site.

In 2007, FanPro's BattleTech license ran out and was not renewed. In their stead, InMediaRes acquired the full license from Topps/WizKids, and created their Catalyst Game Labs subsidiary to continue the classic game line.

Topps terminated WizKids as a brand in 2008 and discontinued the Clix game lines, including MechWarrior: Dark Age. Ever since, Classic BattleTech is marketed simply as BattleTech again. The license remained with InMediaRes.