• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Little known fact: The laws of physics works much like the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal*; if you don't acknowledge them, they don't apply to you.

* A beast so stupid, it believes that if you can't see it, it can't see you..
BattleMechs follow Looney Tunes physics.

I would have loved melee in MW5. Maybe we could have seen a HBS mech in a PGI game in the form of that Hatchetman :).

Maybe one day melee will make its way into a MechWarrior game.

BattleMechs follow Looney Tunes physics.

It is known. That's how we know Clan 'Mechs are balanced - they don't tip over from having all the weapons on one side.

For those who might be looking, I'll stick it here. And I'll be a little broad and paraphrase.

"Cold Reading" is a term which describes a procedure used by a certain type of stage performer. The idea is simple enough - find a person which one has never met or talked with before ("cold") and use what one can pick up about their body language, mannerisms, dress, chosen words, inflection, et cetera to make statements and/or ask questions intending to pick up more information about them ("reading"). The overall goal is to get information out of the person being spoken to/with . . . without necessarily asking for it directly. What is done with the information gathered through the process is . . . a thorny issue which can stray to potentially legal entanglements with the word choice.

The key component from where I referenced it would be how people can remember successes more than failures, and this emboldens them to continue instead of backing away. When long odds hit the money, people might remember that more vividly than the number of times missed leading up to it.

For those who might be looking, I'll stick it here. And I'll be a little broad and paraphrase.

"Cold Reading" is a term which describes a procedure used by a certain type of stage performer.
Psychics you're talking about psychics. Or at least, they fall under "certain types of stage performers". ;)

Psychics you're talking about psychics. Or at least, they fall under "certain types of stage performers". ;)

It's not limited to those sorts, it's also something which can be utilized by other . . . performers. Of a certain stripe. Since that veers a bit too close to Real World topics, and also towards some which can be specifically Not Okay with the moderation rules? I'm gonna stop right here :)

I spent four years advocating for melee mechanics in MWO, so don't get your hopes up.
I recall seeing one of the devs talking on a stream about them trying to make melee mechanics work in MWO but never finding a way for them to be fun and interesting for both the attacker and the defender.

I recall seeing one of the devs talking on a stream about them trying to make melee mechanics work in MWO but never finding a way for them to be fun and interesting for both the attacker and the defender.
Well, with all due respect (as a Legendary Founder and 4-year player/supporter of MWO), they have said a lot of stuff that simply isn't true. Like why collisions were removed, for instance. Or a litany of other things, small and large.

As someone almost in mid game in career, this is false. Else we would have people blowing legs off, which defeats the purpose of a thread about HEAD shots.

Without even the lower-level Called Shot Bonus skill, the called shot percentage forr a leg, arm or side torso when firing from the side is 48%. Now, that's not including the possibility of just missing the mech entirely, but Icewraith is quite right that the called shot percentage is ~50%.

I´ll post screenshots when I have the time but I guarantee you that pilots without ANY Tactics buff don´t have 50% percentages (see: mid game part in my post. Through people have different definitions of mid game I guess.)

Well, with all due respect (as a Legendary Founder and 4-year player/supporter of MWO), they have said a lot of stuff that simply isn't true. Like why collisions were removed, for instance. Or a litany of other things, small and large.
Fair enough. I didn't stay with MWO for too long because PVP isn't really my big thing. I'm looking forward to MW5, though. :)

A Diversion from Matt Colville about "A Creative Life":

Actually, I made a bad when I said that using lights made for a difficult game. Players like Edmon have shown that you can absolutely faceroll the opposition with light mechs only.

The most potent weapon in this game is an elite pilot, and that holds regardless of the tonnage of the mech.

Actually, I made a bad when I said that using lights made for a difficult game. Players like Edmon have shown that you can absolutely faceroll the opposition with light mechs only.

The most potent weapon in this game is an elite pilot, and that holds regardless of the tonnage of the mech.
I haven't watched his series (yet anyway), but I'm confident that he didn't find a use for Locusts. I specifically started with BAD lights and my first Firestarter was a massive upgrade. Oh, and FWIW I was well into that career before Heavy Metal was released.

I had managed to slowly work my way up to solid mediums, and then not too long after HM was added bought enough parts to get a Marauder... as my first heavy. Just about the time some of my slow progression mechwarriors got Called Shot Mastery. Felt like switching on easy mode.

IIRC Edmon is currently showcasing an Urbanmech and a Cicada (only, ie he goes on missions with 2 mechs).
Bet he hasn't modded the Urbie's speed down to only what it paid for, though.

(But, yes, that's extreme.)

Bet he hasn't modded the Urbie's speed down to only what it paid for, though.

(But, yes, that's extreme.)

lol, he's done quite the opposite: mounted a UAC/2++ and/or LB-2X++ on it. Can't remember the build, but it puts out more damage than the stock Jagermech. I think his point was that HM has made lights even more OP than they were originally.

I think his point was that HM has made lights even more OP than they were originally.
I mean sure, if you want to they can be. If you want to play that way, why not? It's your game, your rules.

Meanwhile I'm running mostly stock 'Mechs, and lights aren't OP.

To each their own :)