Where are the Greek City States Getting so many men?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Faeelin

Banned
79 Badges
Dec 15, 2001
Visit site
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
Playing as Macedonia, I don't get it. Somehow Sparta is fielding as many men as I am, even when I bought mercenaries?
1605970633823.png

Playing as Macedonia, I don't get it. Somehow Sparta is fielding as many men as I am, even when I bought mercenaries? View attachment 654571

Is that army just Sparta, or does it include many smaller enemy armies? (if you hover over their side it should show you) Sparta doesn't exactly start in a place where it can afford such large amount of mercs early on. (the closest Merc armies all cost more then 2-7 times Sparta's monthly income)

Reactions:
How can I tell if it's just Sparta, and why aren't my subjects joining me in the same way?

Here's the post. So perhaps the question is, why do the AI troops ally like this but my own subjects didn't? It feels weird they have so many more men than me:

1606063044538.png

Last edited:
Here's the post. So perhaps the question is, why do the AI troops ally like this but my own subjects didn't? It feels weird they have so many more men than me:

Subject isn't subject in this regard:

Subject nations - Imperator Wiki (paradoxwikis.com)

Only Feuadatories, Client States, Satrapies and Mercenary States (Magna Graecia DLC / Syracuse only) join their overlords wars (while an overlord always defens a its subjects, if they get attacked) - and even if it is one of the "right types", the subject also has to be loyal.

Reactions:
I hope we hear a bit more about Mercs with 2.0 soon, with such a large overhaul to regular cohorts they could become very critical once again.
I actually really hope this is the case. Mercs were critical in this time period, fingers crossed the game models it in a similar way. I'd still love unique culture units so you can have Hoplites as mercs for Rome for example.

Subject isn't subject in this regard:

Subject nations - Imperator Wiki (paradoxwikis.com)

Only Feuadatories, Client States, Satrapies and Mercenary States (Magna Graecia DLC / Syracuse only) join their overlords wars (while an overlord always defens a its subjects, if they get attacked) - and even if it is one of the "right types", the subject also has to be loyal.

These are all the Antigonids' feudatories though; so they are all joining together while my vassals did not.

These are all the Antigonids' feudatories though; so they are all joining together while my vassals did not.

Only Opus and Oreos will join the war because they're feudatories. Akarnania, Ambracia and Paeonia will not join because they are either tributaries or tribal vassals. The Antigonids on the other hand have 2 dozen or so vassals of whom half are either a feudatory or a satrapy who will join wars. On top of that they have allies who will also most likely join the war.

One thing to keep in mind is that through events the Antigonids are supposed to be taken on by a combination of Macedon, Egypt, Thrace and the Seleucids. Also the cb is the Legacy of Alexander cb meaning that it is a superiority war. You'll want to have one big army and win as many battles as you can. At 10 warscore you can either white peace out or continue the war in the hopes that you can keep winning battles and claim occupied provinces.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, was my mistake jumping first?

So, was my mistake jumping first?

Macedon is the first country to get the event so if you want to keep Korinthos then you have no other choice then to refuse ceding Korinthos to the Antigonids. Egypt, Thrace and the Seleucids get their own events later on.

Personally I would have ceded Korinthos to the Antigonids when the event popped up but that is judging from my own personal experience playing Macedon. It's not connected to any of your other provinces and since you only got 1 territory of the province you're constantly going to have food problems there. To me the peace with the Antigonids is worth a lot more then 1 small city with constant food problems.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Macedon is the first country to get the event so if you want to keep Korinthos then you have no other choice then to refuse ceding Korinthos to the Antigonids. Egypt, Thrace and the Seleucids get their own events later on.

Personally I would have ceded Korinthos to the Antigonids when the event popped up but that is judging from my own personal experience playing Macedon. It's not connected to any of your other provinces and since you only got 1 territory of the province you're constantly going to have food problems there. To me the peace with the Antigonids is worth a lot more then 1 small city with constant food problems.

chiken :)