• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, EU4 has been around even longer, and still gets new DLC's ;)

A decade after eu5

Reactions:
I hope not until HoI4 has lifted its potential fully. I don't necessarily need unique content for every country, but I'm also not against it - important is that at least everyone involved in WW2 gets touched and that there is enough space to extend game mechanics, refine them, to rework old content and last but not least to fix the accumulated bugs.

• 4Like
Reactions:
My guess is when DLCs are not proffitable anymore or the different mechanics and content introduced through DLCs makes updating and maintaining the game less cost efficient than a new game.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Only reason I would really want HOI5 is to have things like a bigger map with Road networks (and Bridges) modeled. I think most stuff is possible to do in the HOI4 framework.

Sorry to say but HOI4 has officially jumped the shark with the latest DLC offering and current feedback. Personally not buying any more DLC asit's the dregs now.
HOI 5 needs to have an announcement or something.

Reactions:
Sorry to say but HOI4 has officially jumped the shark with the latest DLC offering and current feedback. Personally not buying any more DLC asit's the dregs now.
HOI 5 needs to have an announcement or something.
Without a new engine or structure that means delivery more at less expense of computer performance, a hoi5 announcement its like calling us as fools.

Reactions:
Not anytime soon. After EU5 I'd say.

But given how surprising and quick they pushed out Cities 2, it could be sooner than some people here expect.

Reactions:
Cities 2 is like 8 years after cities 1. I wouldn't call that quick. It is rushed out though.
8 years is short, when your business model relies on selling DLC. It takes 4-5 years roughly to make a new game, so they already worked on that what, since 2018? 2019? Just three to four years into the first game's lifecycle. And it's not like the game desperately needed a successor this quickly.

I'd even say it was going strong (still does to this day), the UI was modern, the graphics were still great. To this day thousands of players play the game, in my view there was no real need to cut Cities 1 so short and switch to a successor. Yet they did, and the job was quite rushed.

HoI4 is also 8 years old in June, CK2 was a bit over 8 years old when CK3 was released, Prison Architect is from 2015 and got its successor also after 8 1/2 years. Age of Wonders 3 was 9 years old when game #4 dropped. EU4 will be 11 years old in August.

In terms of most PDX games, 8 years between two games seems to be the lower end. We're already at a point at which a successor is in the realm of possibility. And quite frankly, given dev time for a new game, and that the longest time between two games was Vic2 to Vic3 with around 12 years, I'd say both EU5 and HoI5 are already in development. The question is merely in which stage of it they are.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: