• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Garamantes was actually pretty advanced and strong.
I think instead, you should have a chain of events where the fossil water runs out, and you need to secure another source of water or receive massive penalties.

And where will they find that source of water ? Correct me if I am wrong but even in our XXIth century the fomer Garamantes land are wasteland.

Too strong. They are a bit too wealthy--I'd nerf them economics wise but leave them richer than their neighbors. They also should be divided into regional city-state-like entities as the kingdom had already collapsed by this point (and so had most of the fossil water.)

Garamantes was actually pretty advanced and strong.
I think instead, you should have a chain of events where the fossil water runs out, and you need to secure another source of water or receive massive penalties.

They were strong, but by the 5th century the kingdom has collapsed and the water had begun to ru. Out. There should be events throughout the 500/600s to gradually weaken these settlements to represent the last amounts of water disappearing.

Perhaps they should face tribal invasions from nomads and an event to where their economy drops and they lose the ammount of holdings in the area?

Perhaps they could migrate north and take advantage of the falling rome and take some land along the mediterian coast as a possibility?

Hmm...now I see what you mean. Something did go wrong with the installation.

There is the main WTWSMS, and a bunch of folders outside that look like repeats of the ones inside the folder (mostly).

So delete them or what exactly?

I'm pretty sure just using the icon wouldn't require sunset invasion. If the icon is specific to Sunset invasion then it'd just be a shield for everyone without it.
Which is ok considering that it's already a shield for most of those.

Your idea is cool :)
I had a look into it, unfortunately there's no second_graphical_culture on religions.
So that means without SI DLC, you would get Christian default icons for Zunist and African solar pagans... which is not that great.

Okay I know, anything is possible with alternate history, butterflies, you can't stop me I do what I want, etc., but you do realize that the Empty Quarter is such because it's this:

V8lwN4D.jpg

I'm a bit green [hah!] on this part of the world, but wasn't North Africa way greener and more hospitable back then?

question: as the mods policy is to make it dlc free, does that mean none of the features that require the DLCs will be used in the mod or bearly focused on?

No, you still need TOG to play Pagans & Zoroastrians, SoI to play Muslims, etc.
I think it just means you can play Christians in the mod with base game, without any required DLC, like in vanilla.

I'm a bit green [hah!] on this part of the world, but wasn't North Africa way greener and more hospitable back then?
The Empty Quarter's in Arabia, but I wouldn't overstate the vitality of inland North Africa back in the day either. From earlier archaeological work, the ruins of the Garamantine capital are roughly so:

mRwh5D6.jpg

Note the scale below-- the core of the city's less than half a kilometer long. The Circus Maximus in Rome was bigger than that! We're not talking about a strong region for agriculture that can support major urban concentrations, here.

Hey, kind of a suggestion

Do you think it would be a better idea to combine the cultures of Gothic, Visigothic, Ostrogothic, and Crimean Gothic? Or at least create a culture tree based on the Goths?

The Empty Quarter's in Arabia, but I wouldn't overstate the vitality of inland North Africa back in the day either. From earlier archaeological work, the ruins of the Garamantine capital are roughly so:

mRwh5D6.jpg

Note the scale below-- the core of the city's less than half a kilometer long. The Circus Maximus in Rome was bigger than that! We're not talking about a strong region for agriculture that can support major urban concentrations, here.

You're right abut North Africa's fertility--it's actually roughly the same agriculturally speaking in Tunisia compared to Roman Africa in 395 (they know this by analyzing the old soil compositions.) . The conditions are ideal for growing olives in much of the country which receives 150-200 mm annually, with wheat being able to be grown in 300-400+ mm. The numbers are foggy, but I remember reading about this in what of Peter J Heather's books.

The Garamantes do need to be nerfed hard--right now they're richer than some of the important cities in the mideast and Mediterranean. Constantinople is worth 140 ducats whilst Swarti? is worth over 100, which is kind of a ridiculous ratio in favor of the Garamantes.

Perhaps they should face tribal invasions from nomads and an event to where their economy drops and they lose the amount of holdings in the area?

Perhaps they could migrate north and take advantage of the falling Rome and take some land along the Mediterranean coast as a possibility?

I'm still very new to this game so not sure what can and can't be modded in, but one solution would be to create an event that triggers some time in the 6th century that starts reducing the maximum number of holdings in the de jure Garamante area, eliminating any existing holdings in excess of this amount with the most developed holdings going first. If the last holding is due to fall then it would be reduced to a tribal area instead.

Not sure if this would have to be an event chain or whether it could be run as a sort of epidemic with reduced holdings rather than plague infested provinces being the result. To keep it restricted to the Gararamnte areas you could just set it so that it only applies in de jure Garamante territory.

I don't think it's possible to reduce the maximum number of settlements per holding or destroy holdings right now.

Probably more sensible to make the base Gararamntes much weaker, and then give them modifiers that improve their economic outlook for a few years. So, don't look at it as taking away from their 480-default to reach the later reality: make inland NA as fertile as it is in the base game, but provide bonuses that last until, say, 525?

Probably more sensible to make the base Gararamntes much weaker, and then give them modifiers that improve their economic outlook for a few years. So, don't look at it as taking away from their 480-default to reach the later reality: make inland NA as fertile as it is in the base game, but provide bonuses that last until, say, 525?

And at least remove some provinces from NA, too.

It was greener, much greener, the main theory I heard for what killed North Africa was the introduction of goats by Arab armies that conquered the area after the rise of Islam. Goats eat /everything/, so much so that they wrecked the ecosystems of North Africa which were very fragile to extensive disruption. Since this mod takes place long before the rise of Islam for the most part, I would make the whole area more fertile, the region was the breadbasket of the Empire for centuries after all.

Actually you may have melting-pots culture but it seems there's no melting pot event except the Roman-->Latin one for what I've seen in the event folder.

So except if you use the console or the ruler designer the melting pot culure will never appear for now.

Yup, played a long period of time with vandals as well and nothing happened. They should be Romano-Vandalic when merged witht he Romance Africans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.