• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine I get the point...

Hey wait, I just came up with something here. Example:

Emperor Justinian blazes across the western Mediterranean, beating ass wherever he goes. He restores Italy, Pannonia,Africa and Hispania and declares the return of the Roman Empire.

Option 1: He goes after the Franks

Option 2: He now spends his energy on consolidating his conquests, fortifying his borders and reorganizing the Empire. Hordes of recruits pour into the army in the glory of the new Empire. Properly trained and diciplined, the legions swell in size, as do the population.

What I mean to say is, if you restore the Grand Empire, the legions should grow as your power increases.
The size of your retinues grow as your power increases.Therefore, the number of legions should swell, not sure if the legions should go back to 5,000 men units though. All in all, 1,000 men legions are superior in many respect to 5,000 men legions as permanent formations.

Not that I disagree with you, but I would point that if earlier to rebel would usually mean to go seize Rome, subjugate the Empire and rule in all its entirety, near the end of Empire rebels usually just tried to carve out a nice little empire for themselves. Which makes sense, considering that this military leaders weren't just Roman officers, but also a kings of their tribe. And that tribe constituted the majority, if not entirety, of their force.

There's two counterpoints to be made. First, it didn't happen in the regions, subjugated by Justinian's commanders. Second, Justian wouldn't ever do that, the man was paranoid enough already, to give Belisaurius even more power, unthinkable.
Must say that these 'Roman' officers weren't really Roman. They are barbarian chieftains who were granted the status of Foederati and that even if they were to seize Rome, they wouldn't have had the legitimacy to control the entire empire. Real Roman officers of the period on the other hand, such as Magnentius, Flavius Aetius or Constantine III tend to set the Emperor up as a puppet or outright usurp the throne.

Last edited:
Must say that these 'Roman' officers weren't really Roman. They are barbarian chieftains who were granted the status of Foederati and that even if they were to seize Rome, they wouldn't have had the legitimacy to control the entire empire. Real Roman officers of the period on the other hand, such as Boniface, Flavius Aetius or Constantine III tend to set the Emperor up as a puppet or outright usurp the throne.
Yes, that's exactly what I said;) also the Romannes of Aetius is open for debate.

I have an idea for a decision:

If the Catholic-Orthodox schism has happened and a catholic emperor/king exists you could add a decision to give the pope the duchy of Latium (or the county of Rome). This would fit in the way it happened historically with the Emperor Pepin (father of Charlemagne) and the pope. The result could be that either/and the pope becomes the vassal of that emperor or gain an opinion bonus and you gain a lot of piety and prestige.

Well I have had it so that the sizes of the legions decrease over time, so that eventually the theme system is the only way. The size of the legions in the first place can be as low as you want. If you want the Romans to have 1000 man legions, you can have that. There are originally only sixteen legions for the East and roughly 25 recoverable legions. Most of these are for the West and a few are for places like Armenia or Mesopotamia.

Last edited:
I have added Latin names for many of the landed_titles in k_frisia. While I was at it I added a bunch of French, Frisian and Dutch ones as well, I figured if Scandinavia gets them so should the Low Countries. It might be an idea to have the Old (or Salian and Ripuarian) Franks use the Roman titles so the early game has a more Roman feel to it - their administration was in Latin anyway - although I could also use older versions of the names (Brabant = Braecbant) for the Franks.

Not really experienced at modding so if there is anything wrong with the syntax I would be glad to hear it.

View attachment roman toponyms low countries.txt

I am fine with having the legions as long as they do not make Byzantium a-historically powerful. Already the Varagnian and the born in the purple modifier makes them pretty stable, having 10 plus 5000 man vassal mercenary companies would just be overkill.

Legions should be the status symbols of a risen roman empire, that I am fine with.

I have added Latin names for many of the landed_titles in k_frisia. While I was at it I added a bunch of French, Frisian and Dutch ones as well, I figured if Scandinavia gets them so should the Low Countries. It might be an idea to have the Old (or Salian and Ripuarian) Franks use the Roman titles so the early game has a more Roman feel to it - their administration was in Latin anyway - although I could also use older versions of the names (Brabant = Braecbant) for the Franks.

Not really experienced at modding so if there is anything wrong with the syntax I would be glad to hear it.

View attachment 107342

Thank you!

In common\events, open "misc_old_gods_events" and scroll down to the bottom. The two last events are the ones you're looking for.

I know this is from a while back but how does k_france and k_germany change their names in the first place? There can't be an event that triggers this since they're West and East Francia at game start in 867.

What am I missing here? My plan is to have Scotland be called "Dál Riata" and be under Irish control and have it renamed to "Scotland" when a Scot takes the throne as in history.

Mouhahaha, now I'm able to achieve my vile plot ! Let's the guillotine topple some migrational thrones !
By the way, I can help you with historical plot (Mainly today France and western europe/Eastern Rome) :).

Okay, I found some more info in the "k_france" document so I might be able to just add some code to "k_scotland" and then make a "dal_riata_renamed" event to set it all up.

Good luck with two mods!

I am fine with having the legions as long as they do not make Byzantium a-historically powerful. Already the Varagnian and the born in the purple modifier makes them pretty stable, having 10 plus 5000 man vassal mercenary companies would just be overkill.

Legions should be the status symbols of a risen roman empire, that I am fine with.
Umm, are you sure you are not confusing this mod with vanilla? There shouldn't be any varangians in this time period. Not sure about the born in purple either. Was the concept of born in purple even present in the east Roman Empire at this stage?

Well I have had it so that the sizes of the legions decrease over time, so that eventually the theme system is the only way. The size of the legions in the first place can be as low as you want. If you want the Romans to have 1000 man legions, you can have that. There are originally only sixteen legions for the East and roughly 25 recoverable legions. Most of these are for the West and a few are for places like Armenia or Mesopotamia.
So all in all, how are these 'legions' supposed to work?Would you mind telling us how they are supposed to function in this game?Besides that, I must say that there were way more than just 16-25 1000 men legions.So are you planning to depict these 'legions' are mercenary units similar to the Varangian Guard that's summonable only be the emperor?I really think that the best way to depict standing comitatenses units would be as retinues, but ridiculously expensive ones both to replenish the losses as well as to recruit. The ERE really devolved to the theme system because they can no longer afford to recruit and pay for a large regular army after they got wiped out a number of times first by the Persians and then the Arabs.

Last edited:
Umm, are you sure you are not confusing this mod with vanilla? There are and there shouldn't be any varangians in this time period. Not sure about the born in purple either. Was the concept of born in purple even present in the east Roman Empire at this stage?

So all in all, how are these 'legions' supposed to work?Would you mind telling us how they are supposed to function in this game?Besides that, I must say that there were way more than just 16-25 1000 men legions.

This mod will lead into Vanilla, it wont end at 1000 ad like the other Dark Ages mod that was made a while back.

Both Varagnians and the concept of born in the purple should appear in about 800 ad. Yeah.

I am just a bit worried how it would affect the early losses of the Byzantines particularly to the Muslims. When I was talking about the Varagnians keeping them stable I was talking about the fact that they helped keep them stable in the vanilla. Giving Rome too many flavor legions might make them too hard to take down and keep Altaic khaganates from making a big impact on the game along with preventing Islam from going anywhere.

This mod will lead into Vanilla, it wont end at 1000 ad like the other Dark Ages mod that was made a while back.

Both Varagnians and the concept of born in the purple should appear in about 800 ad. Yeah.

I am just a bit worried how it would affect the early losses of the Byzantines particularly to the Muslims. When I was talking about the Varagnians keeping them stable I was talking about the fact that they helped keep them stable in the vanilla. Giving Rome too many flavor legions might make them too hard to take down and keep Altaic khaganates from making a big impact on the game along with preventing Islam from going anywhere.

We could make restoring legions very expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.