• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kingdoms will need a lot of culture-based names. France, Lombardia, and England are just a few examples of countries with names based on Germanic peoples who might not win in this history.

Of course, that's why France and Aquitaine have different names because they French language may never exist.

On the topic of Arianism I had a pretty big idea to flesh them out.

Historically while the Germanic people were christian they still refused to give up most of their cultural tendencies for most of the migration period. Only after the Visigoths began to settle down into Hispania did they really start to resemble a european state and became a settled people.

Considering this mod still takes place in the migration period I would like to see the germanic tendencies of the Goths simulated by making Arianism a pagan religion that reforms into a Nicene heresy/Christian Heresy after the Great Schism. The unreformed religion would be in the pagan group and allow raiding, river movement, concubines and the ability to intermarry with christian faiths while the reformed Arian heresy could perhaps only allow river movement but still is in the christian group.

I imagine the holy sites of the pagan Arianism could be centered on Hispania to simulate how the Visigoths managed to survive and prosper as a nation. So for example they could be in Galicia, Sardinia, Rome and Roussillon.

Regards Legions - Wouldn't it just be a vassal merc company like varangians?( You could give them land to make their troop raising costs lower too)

That would probably be best.

On the topic of Arianism I had a pretty big idea to flesh them out.

Historically while the Germanic people were christian they still refused to give up most of their cultural tendencies for most of the migration period. Only after the Visigoths began to settle down into Hispania did they really start to resemble a european state and became a settled people.

Considering this mod still takes place in the migration period I would like to see the germanic tendencies of the Goths simulated by making Arianism a pagan religion that reforms into a Nicene heresy/Christian Heresy after the Great Schism. The unreformed religion would be in the pagan group and allow raiding, river movement, concubines and the ability to intermarry with christian faiths while the reformed Arian heresy could perhaps only allow river movement but still is in the christian group.

I imagine the holy sites of the pagan Arianism could be centered on Hispania to simulate how the Visigoths managed to survive and prosper as a nation. So for example they could be in Galicia, Sardinia, Rome and Roussillon.

They don't need to reform. Arianism already has intermarriage with pagans, aggressiveness, river movement, looting, and concubines. That's how the Vandals can sail around raiding Italy

Currently, the legions are created through the Soissons province reclaimation events. The Byzantine Empire currently has legions in place for the provinces. I'd also like to ask how I can make the province levies unavailable, and then available when the Themata is created. And what would be the causes of the Themata creation, and what would the benefits be? Could it be tied to a special law, that only the Byzantine have, that triggers a Themata's creation, but once it is chosen, there is no coming back. Or are laws hardcoded.

I was thinking you could use a custom trait that is fired by event when a character becomes a duke of a byzantine/roman extant province that comes up as 'governor' and force-vassalises the legions of egypt/anatolia/armenia minor/tuscany/whatever to him/her

(so timeline, Character Q becomes Duke of X and is of culture Greek/Roman
An event fires where Character Q receives trait Governor with massive levies penalty (-300% should stop any marshal gaming the system)
A second event fires Character Q's Governor trait + their landed title is checked and then the vassalised legion for their duchy becomes available.)

Arguably you could use this for king-level titles instead and make all legions at least 3-6k strong instead of using duke titles and 1k, unless you want to promote player attempts to centralise power in order to grab more legions (who should have events about taking holdings as veterans rewards) Personally I think Duchy level makes it more competitive. The game should ideally represent that legions are not necessarily going to serve who holds their territory (so the leader must have governor trait and the duke title. If they are usurped then the legion should have an event that checks if their current holder has the governor trait. If the new holder of the title does not have the governor trait then a 33/33/33 chance event could fire where they either become mercenaries, rebel against the invader or disband.)

When you have the Imperial Themata decision you simply clear that trait from all characters and simultaneously disband any surviving legions, their leaders become vassal feudal rulers of their current boss.

Themata decision would require holder is Byzantine Emperor and is of greek/roman culture. Since it removes a trait and disbands merc companies there would be no mechanical way for players to reverse the decision unless you coded a series of events to overturn the previous choice.

I don't know about mucking around with laws, but starting with no feudal levies/no city levies/no church levies could help too - and the trait governor could stop you from influencing your duchy laws with regards to levies.

Last edited:
I have an idea! What if you tie the title of such governor with the ownership of a said legion and if Empire disintegrates or fall into barbarians these legions disband or move to offer services in other Governors? theme creation could be more affected by the raise of crown authority I think during strong Emperros ,what do you think of it? I would be grateful if you could let me test this jewel too :)

As I said earlier, I cannot do this alone. Events have never been a good point for me, so the success of the Great Schism events makes me happy. If you would like to help make events claim something, make it, and enjoy eternal glory and for now on, your family shall become a noble dynasty. Some events that I would love the most:
A system that allows all counties to be abandoned when a migration begins. Mine is a bit complicated and glitchy.
Any flavor events for religions or heresies you have a preference for
Whatever you want

I'm mostly an ideas man with an understanding of the logic that goes into this. What I've seen of your work so far is pretty sound, and I think you could use/develop the existing magyar mechanic that exists in the 867 game as a starter. I figure my post is pretty followable, probably about 3-4 hours of work.

I have an idea! What if you tie the title of such governor with the ownership of a said legion and if Empire disintegrates or fall into barbarians these legions disband or move to offer services in other Governors? theme creation could be more affected by the raise of crown authority I think during strong Emperros ,what do you think of it? I would be grateful if you could let me test this jewel too :)

If you can make this, you can get the empty (and coveted) slot number 3 for the beta-testers!

I have not enough experience yet in modding to be so helpful :/ But I have a lot of time to test whatever you want when you feel it is time for testing .I can only promise that I will try to make some events for Christian heresies and such but I will need some time to have hopes of ironing them out
Ps.I I forgot to say that the inspiration for the movement for employers is as I think if I remember correctly a mechanic in Britannia mod ,you should check it in my opinion ;)

I'm mostly an ideas man with an understanding of the logic that goes into this. What I've seen of your work so far is pretty sound, and I think you could use/develop the existing magyar mechanic that exists in the 867 game as a starter. I figure my post is pretty followable, probably about 3-4 hours of work.

Magyar events are too strict, currently, a tribe makes a decision that abandons counties in exchange for soldiers and allows you to invade somewhere else. But there are some problems with abandoning the counties that I need help fixing

I have not enough experience yet in modding to be so helpful :/ But I have a lot of time to test whatever you want when you feel it is time for testing .I can only promise that I will try to make some events for Christian heresies and such but I will need some time to have hopes of ironing them out

Any events would help, the more the merrier! And I think your governor idea could work. First I'm going to work on my AAR.

I have thought something .Theme creation could be the outcome of the lost of Egypt and other MiddleEastern provinces representing the loss of their wealth that forced the Empire to fall for a while in defensive position to at least retain Cappadocia and Armenia under its control but only under a strong Emperor with high authority How it sounds?

To appease you glorious folk, here are the Culture and Religious maps.

Look, Love, Criticize.

(But remember I'm human, so go easy on me, nobody is perfect!)

Cultural Map:
(Sorry about Tocharian and Hepthalite being the same color...)
un8a4XF.png

Religion:
fokI4se.png

1) Venedi's demesne is split up ? 2) Which is the culture of Aquitaine and north of Gothics and East of Ostrogoths ?3) Which is the heresy in Asia minor heartland? 4) You could make county of Athens and county of Hellas Hellenic faith too5) Which are the heresies at coast of Middle East?

To appease you glorious folk, here are the Culture and Religious maps.

Look, Love, Criticize.

(But remember I'm human, so go easy on me, nobody is perfect!)

Whats the religion in Aquitaine?

Have you reworked the Magreb like I previously suggested yet or is the map outdated in that regard?

I like what you did so far! Especially in the Horn of Africa and in Scandinavia though!

Last edited:
Also, I made a proper map for how you could best split up the Magreb.

avygHHs.png

For culture you could make Volubilis African Roman and Gaetuli a "Gaetuli" culture while making the rest of the tribes berber.

For religion you can keep what you have for the province religions but make the berber leaders West African pagan and make Volubilis Hellenic

Status
Not open for further replies.