• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the case of Soissons, the Romano-Gallic warlords could hardly be anything but hereditary.

Yes, but that was just a splinter kingdom of the WRE. A strong enough emperor in the west (in case the empire would be reunited) would try to reestablish imperial authority over the provinces.

Yes, but that was just a splinter kingdom of the WRE. A strong enough emperor in the west (in case the empire would be reunited) would try to reestablish imperial authority over the provinces.

Ah, I see.

Soissons should also be quite unstable and Syiagrius impopular amongst the romano-gauls who historically thought that he was weak and prefered Clovis as their leader once he had converted to catholicism.

Soissons should also be quite unstable and Syiagrius impopular amongst the romano-gauls who historically thought that he was weak and prefered Clovis as their leader once he had converted to catholicism.

That is currently the case, he has the unpopular ruler trait now.

That is currently the case, he has the unpopular ruler trait now.

Good, do you have any events around Clovis and the romano-gauls and his baptem? Also have you made any province changes? What are the conditions for the Franks and the Frankish melting pot?

Edit: This mod seems to be doing something similar as you. Maybe you could use some of its features?

Last edited:
Good, do you have any events around Clovis and the romano-gauls and his baptem? Also have you made any province changes? What are the conditions for the Franks and the FRankish melting pot?

Edit: This mod seems to be doing something similar as you. Maybe you could use some of its features?
Honestly, I like that it uses the SWMH map, though it currently lacks India (as they have to completely re-draw the map). I'm a more provinces kind of guy, but I also have a really good computer...

Honestly, I like that it uses the SWMH map, though it currently lacks India (as they have to completely re-draw the map). I'm a more provinces kind of guy, but I also have a really good computer...

Might be a hit to performance for not as good computers as yours, since this mod will add a lot of other things as well. I'm also not sure but I think that mod was only covering a 480-ish to 867 period. Anywise I think it is a good resource to use for other mods and I suggested about this in the other mods thread too.

Might be a hit to performance for not as good computers as yours, since this mod will add a lot of other things as well. I'm also not sure but I think that mod was only covering a 480-ish to 867 period. Anywise I think it is a good resource to use for other mods and I suggested about this in the other mods thread too.
I understand.

It would be interesting to build a converter to take it back to original CKII so you can finish the 867-1453 section.

I understand.

It would be interesting to build a converter to take it back to original CKII so you can finish the 867-1453 section.

Yes, maybe you could convert it to the SWMH-mod for vanilla? I once saw an AAR made with the britannia mod that I think somehow converted into the vanilla CK2 if I remeber correctly. But then it was only that user that had edited the in-game files to make the 867 start in Britain similar to the one he had in the mod. This must also interest you since you are called the "God of the Mega Campaign"! ;)

Yes, maybe you could convert it to the SWMH-mod for vanilla? I once saw an AAR made with the britannia mod that i think somehow converted into the vanilla CK2 if i remeber correctly but then it was only that user that had edited the in-game files to make the 867 start in Britain similar to the one he had in the mod. This must also interest you since you are called the "God of the Mega Campaign"! ;)
Yeah, I did that megacampaign back when there were converters and I had free time. Now I have a career and a wife and a house...

It isn't as easy as one would assume.

Yeah, I did that megacampaign back when there were converters and I had free time. Now I have a career and a wife and a house...

It isn't as easy as one would assume.

Ok, I understand. You are a long time user in these forums.

Edit :Here it is: Oestado's Megacampaign

Last edited:
Clovis didn't convert until long after his conquest of Soissons.

True but he was friendly to the catholic religion and not hostile to the contrary of the arian franks, the visigots, the burgunds and the alemans. The romano-gaullic bishops gambled on his conversion to have strong barbarian protector. At his bapthem he converted and became to the legend the first king of France.

Its major historic error to make Franks united in 480 AD, as Franks were divided to Salian Franks and Ripuarian Franks, when Clovis was King of Salian Franks and had alliance with Ripuarian Frank who assisted with his invasion of Neustria. Bit later Ripuarian Franks were led by Sigobert the Lame when his own son murdered him, Clovis killed Sigobert's son and became first King of the Franks.

Its also big issue that Roman Empire is called "Byzantium" in 480 AD. In vanilla I can accept the silly ahistorical name that nobody ever called it , but in 5th century... Just to make it it clear:
*Even before WRE fall, ERE was already counted as senior empire.
*Odoacer sent crown of WRE to ERE emperor.
*Emperors spoke Latin (as Justinian the Great was the last Latin speaking emperor).

Its major historic error to make Franks united in 480 AD, as Franks were divided to Salian Franks and Ripuarian Franks, when Clovis was King of Salian Franks and had alliance with Ripuarian Frank who assisted with his invasion of Neustria. Bit later Ripuarian Franks were led by Sigobert the Lame when his own son murdered him, Clovis killed Sigobert's son and became first King of the Franks.

Its also big issue that Roman Empire is called "Byzantium" in 480 AD. In vanilla I can accept the silly ahistorical name that nobody ever called it , but in 5th century... Just to make it it clear:
*Even before WRE fall, ERE was already counted as senior empire.
*Odoacer sent crown of WRE to ERE emperor.
*Emperors spoke Latin (as Justinian the Great was the last Latin speaking emperor).

I wonder if the Byzantium thing could be solved by having a Latin 'Roman Empire' at the start of the game, with 'Byzantine Empire' being attached to it once (or if) the culture shifts to Greek. I don't know if it's possible to change names mid-game, but that would be the neatest solution if it were possible.

This is true but their division would be hard to model, to even make it possible for Clovis to invade Neustria and eventually other parts of modern-day France and unify the franks. Clovis (that should be called Chlodowig in frankish) at his death should have his domain divided in new kingdoms, and not as the way gavelkind sucession works.

Of course it is, changing name according to culture was added in the Republics (or before) and ToG added actual renaming events, but like argued here, it should't ever be called "Byzantine" or "Byzantium", if person is so stubborn that he refuses to call it by its right name, it could be called what western world called it, "the Greek Empire".

This is true but their division would be hard to model, to even make it possible for Clovis to invade Neustria and eventually other parts of modern-day France and unify the franks. Clovis (that should be called Chlodowig in frankish) at his death should have his domain divided in new kingdoms, and not as the way gavelkind sucession works.
Perhaps tribal titles should use the King Beyond the Wall method from the GoT mod. The Kingdom dissolves after the King dies and must be reforged by his successors. That would prevent the massive blobbing that would likely ruin this style game.

Perhaps tribal titles should use the King Beyond the Wall method from the GoT mod. The Kingdom dissolves after the King dies and must be reforged by his successors. That would prevent the massive blobbing that would likely ruin this style game.

A good idea but the problem is that all of his sons where in theory kings and not dukes with one domain here and there. They controlled a certain area that they made into kingdoms. The kingdom should definitely be dissolved at death yes. The dejure system would in it self not at all fit the Merovingian Kings France. Have you done something to the dejure system Enlil?

Edit: this may be solved by petty kings (or something similar) or some decision to make the duchy into a kingdom. When the kingdom of the franks was reunited it was oftenly through murder and assasination or marriages.

Last edited:
I think "Byzantium" could be handled through them starting the game as "Eastern Roman Empire" and if they fail to reconquer enough provinces to reform the empire their name will be changed to "Byzantium" to reflect the empire being considered the empire of the greeks rather then the true roman state.

Status
Not open for further replies.