• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you guys advise for vassals in Italy. Roma is split between the Papacy and he Senate, but what kind of vassals will be in the rest of Italy

I'd guess a mix of Ostrogothic and Romans. Tomorrow I'm picking up "Late Roman warlords" by Penny MacGeorge from the University Library which specifically focuses on the period between 400 and 500. I'll let you know about any interesting characters I find.

I've started work on the Breton/ Notitia Dignatum shields but good weather intervened. Here is a first one. It's still a WIP, I'm trying to get it symmetric but Photoshop is being uncooperative.

MauriOsismiaciBrest.png

EDIT: By the way at least parts of Brittany at this point had a Gallic population, the Briton migration happened later on.

Last edited:
I'd guess a mix of Ostrogothic and Romans. Tomorrow I'm picking up "Late Roman warlords" by Penny MacGeorge from the University Library which specifically focuses on the period between 400 and 500. I'll let you know about any interesting characters I find.

I've started work on the Breton/ Notitia Dignatum shields but good weather intervened. Here is a first one. It's still a WIP, I'm trying to get it symmetric but Photoshop is being uncooperative.

MauriOsismiaciBrest.png

So, what are the shields for? Countries? Dynasties?

So, what are the shields for? Countries? Dynasties?

Well they could be used for counties possibly switching to regular vanilla shields as Armorica becomes Brittany after the Briton invasion. The Notitia Dignatum lists a number of military units stationed in Armorica under the Dux tractus Armoricani et Nervicani and we know in what towns these units were stationed. Because we have little else to go on from the town and this is at least time-appropriate their shields could be used as the county shields.

Otherwise they could be used for mercenary companies. It was common practice in for former Roman soldiers in the Late Roman empire to act as librones, serving for the highest bidder. It could be that they continue to use their old insignia, or at least insignia inspired by units from the Roman Empire.

There still appear to be too many barbarians and pagans over the Rhine. Keep in mind that they've only been there a few years and haven't really had time to make most of the population speak Frankish and pray to Germanic gods.

What would you guys advise for vassals in Italy. Roma is split between the Papacy and he Senate, but what kind of vassals will be in the rest of Italy

You have to make the Praetorian Prefecture of Italy a big, bad vassal of Odoacer, he reinstated it after destroying the WRE. Most of his lands should be "ruled" by a fat Senator named Manlius Boethius, the Prefect between 480 - 483 AD.

Why is the the southern bank of the Danube part of Moesia inferior instead of being part of Thrace?

Because Moesia was originaly placed on the southern bank, but was extended when the Romans conquered Dacia

You have to make the Praetorian Prefecture of Italy a big, bad vassal of Odoacer, he reinstated it after destroying the WRE. Most of his lands should be "ruled" by a fat Senator named Manlius Boethius, the Prefect between 480 - 483 AD.

Because Moesia was originaly placed on the southern bank, but was extended when the Romans conquered Dacia

Oh wow, that would actually be a really fun game to play as the Praetorian Profecture. Revolting against Odoacer and forming a Roman styled state in Sicily.

Oh wow, that would actually be a really fun game to play as the Praetorian Profecture. Revolting against Odoacer and forming a Roman styled state in Sicily.

Why only Sicily? I was thinking, maybe Manlius should rule all of Italy, except for Rome where the Senate sits and Ravenna where Odoacer sits. His capital should be Milan but the dejure capital should be Ravenna, a reason to rebel...

About the political screenshots you showed, what happened with Brittany? Also, why are you calling the franks "Salia" and "Ripuaria" when it should probably be "Frankia Salia" and "Frankia Ripuaria" (not a latin expert) and etc. Joemit is right, there should not be that much frankish culture.

Last edited:
About the political screenshot you showed, what happened with Brittany? Why are you calling the franks "Salia" and "Ripuaria" when it should probably be "Frankia Salia" and "Frankia Ripuaria"(not a latin expert) and etc. Joemit is right, there should not be that much frankish culture.

We discussed Armorica a while back and decided for splitting it up into counties, part of Lugdunensis and if Soissons fell, it would become a dejure kingdom of its own. I guess Enlil just hasn't gotten around to that yet

We discussed Armorica a while back and decided for splitting it up into counties, part of Lugdunensis and if Soissons fell, it would become a dejure kingdom of its own. I guess Enlil just hasn't gotten around to that yet

Yes I remember that discussion, I just wonder if he had forgotten it or decided to not include it.

Enlil, would you be so kind to post a list of all existing cultures? Alan religion just got my fancy, and I want to see what other religions I can find to break down generic "steppe paganism". For example, Iazyges, being Sarmatic probably were partially Zoroastrian, partially belonged to the sincretic Greco-Sarmatic cult of Afrodithe-Atupara with a healthy dose of ancestral worship. Alans had, and to some extent still have their Aetseg Din, and so on.

Enlil, would you be so kind to post a list of all existing cultures? Alan religion just got my fancy, and I want to see what other religions I can find to break down generic "steppe paganism". For example, Iazyges, being Sarmatic probably were partially Zoroastrian, partially belonged to the sincretic Greco-Sarmatic cult of Afrodithe-Atupara with a healthy dose of ancestral worship. Alans had, and to some extent still have their Aetseg Din, and so on.

Something that really needs splitting is Germanic Paganism. At the very least, we could split away the Norse Paganism from it. We could also split away Anglo-Saxon Paganism, which is practised by this time

There still appear to be too many barbarians and pagans over the Rhine. Keep in mind that they've only been there a few years and haven't really had time to make most of the population speak Frankish and pray to Germanic gods.

A few years? They have been settled south of the Rhine for a very long time by this point. Franks have been in Toxandria (Brabant) since 358. The Via Belgica gives us a good idea for how far they extended southward, and because it was fortified it held back Frankish settlement for some time. And it weren't just Franks: Boulogne probably was Saxon in fact.

Last edited:
Something that really needs splitting is Germanic Paganism. At the very least, we could split away the Norse Paganism from it. We could also split away Anglo-Saxon Paganism, which is practised by this time
Don't get me wrong, but while Germanic paganism unites more or less related belief systems, as of now Steppe Paganism unites totally unrelated religions. In my opinion it's more in need of revision.

Don't get me wrong, but while Germanic paganism unites more or less related belief systems, as of now Steppe Paganism unites totally unrelated religions. In my opinion it's more in need of revision.

I know its branches are similar but I just feel that it is too widespread to be one generic religion. I agree with you on the steppe paganism and I also think there are one more religion we need to split, Finnish Paganism

Yes I remember that discussion, I just wonder if he had forgotten it or decided to not include it.

I forgot to, got caught up in the dejure overhaul.

I know its branches are similar but I just feel that it is too widespread to be one generic religion. I agree with you on the steppe paganism and I also think there are one more religion we need to split, Finnish Paganism

The reason originally there is just Pagan and Steppe is.

1. I am now super knowledgeable on such divisions
2. I was hurried to get this completed and out there for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.