• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just would like to avoid releasing countless patches that adds only small amount of content
So then hold back and release patches only if there's a dire CTD bug that needs immediate fixing, or if there's a major haul of stuff ready to be thrown in. Not every tweak and fix needs to be patched in right the moment it's resolved.

Is there any reason why the Validator's in the mod files?

And why replace_path all these files? You could cut down on files a bit if you just, say, removed the character folder replace_path entry and let the game reference vanilla files for some of the characters. It doesn't look like the Turkish file differs at all from vanilla, for example, so with replace_path out that could be deleted and the game would reference vanilla just fine.

I am a party-pooper and whiner. There's several things I've spotted before even hitting play which I really must question and comment upon.

• There's Illyrian, Illyro-Roman and Dalmatian cultures present in Illyria? Roman and 'Latin' in Italy? Overall it seems like there's a glut of cultures which don't do much aside from making everyone dislike each other slightly more because their neighbor 3 provs over is a totally different culture.
  • All the Italian duchies are the same color.
  • There's some waffling about how Rome-centric the mod should be in terms of localisations, seems like. The Vandals rule 'Vandalica' (shouldn't it just be 'Vandalia'?), which is clearly Latin-derived, but it's the 'Þiudinassus' of Vandalica, which is like some weird mashup of Latin and Germanic.
  • Several titles use the exact same color. Rhaetia-Noricum, Annonaria and Italy are all the exact same color, which is confusing when you want to eyeball de jure borders. Likewise, all of Annonaria and Italy's duchies are the exact same shade of light green, which is similarly confusing.
  • The Duchy of Noviodunum does not actually include Soissons.
  • Do you need help with vassal info? I just loaded up the 476 default start and noticed that Romulus Augustulus personally rules all of northern Italy, rather than having any of the historical provincial governors present.
  • Leptis Magna is Catholic, rather than Nicene.
  • The Roman portraits are clearly taken from the now-defunct Mediterranean Portraits DLC. Is that kosher?

There's good bits in there, but man, I'm befuddled.

1.The different cultures are important both for melting pots and historical language divisions.
Does the transition from the Latin language of Antiquity to the Vulgar of the Early Middle Ages have any relevance to gameplay? Does it make sense for a vassal-liege relation to suddenly get a foreigner malus because the vassal started speaking Vulgar Latin while the ruler still uses a more classical form?

2. we have no accurate names for what the Vandals called their state. If you know of a source, please share it, as I tried to find one.
Could probably fudge it from Gothic, if need be.
3. The colors are a bug, and something to be expected in a beta
It's a matter of minutes to fix it, though. Didn't that ever drive you mad, looking at that solid block?
4. Soissons has now been added, thank you for pointing that out.
You could probably switch Noviodunum and Soissons both over to Suessionum, too, since Noviodunum is just the attested form used when Julius Caesar rolled through, and was basically replaced with the colony of Augusta Suessionum in 20 B.C.

French Wikipedia's quite good at providing all the attested toponyms for places in France, and provides dates along with all the attested examples. I don't speak French, but I can figure out what 'Toponymie' means and that bit's usually the place to look for late Roman and early Frankish forms of place-names.
5. 476 is still a work in progress. the most optimized startdate for this mod are the 2 480 start dates.
480 still has the issue of Odoacer personally ruling all of northern Italy. The PLRE has info on a lot of the governors active at that time, and even if they don't name specific dudes for everywhere, fudging things and making a Ligurian landowner attested in 486 as Duke in 480 is far from the most grievous of modding sins.
6. Leptis Magna's province history files have it as Gurzil Libyan, it appears this is a bug caused by some kind of incompatibility with vanilla.
Happy to hear that the bug's been pinpointed!
7. The Old Mediterranean portraits are now used as Roman portraits yes.
But is it kosher to include them directly? For the postapoc mod, we've been terrified of taking any material directly from DLC and throwing it in to the central mod.

The thing with this mod is that we want t have a separate version fore those who wants to use the portraits, but the way Git is stup makes it problematic.
Just add in one layer of folders. That way, when you access the git, rather than seeing the common, history, localisation, etc. folders, you see a 'WtWSMS' folder and a 'WtWSMS - Portrait DLC stuff' folder, and you can keep it all sorted that way just fine. Honestly not trying to self-promote, but this is how we set up our git to address the DLC portraits issue.

As loup said, the melting-pots are work in progress. While we may not have Romano-Alemmanic/Alemmano-Roman yet, we do have Romano-Gothic and Romano-Vandalic
You might want to go over the Romano-Gothic culture a bit-- when I made it I didn't really consider how to properly link names there, so there's a lot of false links in that name set that won't connect to anything properly.

It might be worth further vulgarizing the names, too, since I was so intent on trying to Romanize Gothic names at the time, that the masculine name set ended up alternating between proper Latin -us and -ius alongside -o and -io when it probably should all go to the -o and -io form. Pretty sure it should go to -o and -io, at least, but -u and -iu might work too. I based that work off a set of attested names from pre-Reconquista Spain, so the names are actually a mix of Visigothic and Spanish Vulgar Latin, but I suspect the pattern would be similar between Goths and Romans in Spain and Goths and Romans in Italy.

The cool thing is the ability to change history and actually settle there.
Okay I know, anything is possible with alternate history, butterflies, you can't stop me I do what I want, etc., but you do realize that the Empty Quarter is such because it's this:

V8lwN4D.jpg

I'm a bit green [hah!] on this part of the world, but wasn't North Africa way greener and more hospitable back then?
The Empty Quarter's in Arabia, but I wouldn't overstate the vitality of inland North Africa back in the day either. From earlier archaeological work, the ruins of the Garamantine capital are roughly so:

mRwh5D6.jpg

Note the scale below-- the core of the city's less than half a kilometer long. The Circus Maximus in Rome was bigger than that! We're not talking about a strong region for agriculture that can support major urban concentrations, here.

I'm aware of that. That's why I'm asking.
Still, you said when rather than if, which kind of assumes that they must do it at some point. I don't recall such a statement being made by the devs to that effect (although it's well within the realm of possibility that I missed something big and obvious), so I was trying to make implicit in my response that there's so much else for them to do, that may be an if rather than when.
Why exactly are there thousands of flags bundled with the mod? Did you guys replace every single one of them?
If not why not just let the game use the ones in the game install directory and only put the changed flags in the mod folder?
Check out the .mod file-- replace_path is used for every folder in the mod, seems like. I'm not sure why that is, but since that is how it's laid out, all the relevant files for those folders must also be in the mod's copy of those folders. Likewise the events folder has all of vanilla's stuff in it, decisions, etc.

Well, this is, as Ofaloaf mentioned, it is due to the replace_path. Romulien has been making efforts to make it a bit lighter (and I did so too previously, the mod previously included all the music and etc and was extremly heavy), but Enlil wanted to have almost all of the vanilla files in it at start.
Wouldn't it still be simpler to just have the mod read as normal and add in files as needed for modding's sake? Given the goal of a 1453 enddate, the mod has a lot of vanilla files, when it could just remove replace_path and reference the base game versions for, say, characters. I don't think this mod adds anyone to polish.txt, for example.

That is a known issue with the current version.
Why do Romulus Augustulus and Odoacer directly control 30+ provinces at their respective scenario start(s), anyways? That's clearly the source of the problem there, since the mod then scans all the provs they control, sees that some of them are temples, and concludes "Aha! That must be a theocracy." You've already got fictional dudes elsewhere on the map, why not add some to Northern Italy to resolve that issue?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.