• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Burn Heathen
Also just wondering, how much percentage of posts are by a few people, I currently have 1.4% of the posts on the thread. :D

With my 687 posts, I have a solid 13.2% of the posts here

Will a Beta version be available for more people any time soon?

Enlil stated Charlemagne a while, but not sure if that is still the case.

Dev Diary 3: Crimean Goths + Hellenic pagans = $$$

Ahhhh, the Crimean Goths. Many have begged, pleaded for their inclusion in Charlemagne.

They were not added, as they were following false shephards.

Now, gaze upon the utmost perfection of the Goths of Crimea, an East Germanic cultured people ruling you guessed it, Crimea.
f2hDerL.png

Unlike in later times, the Crimean Goths are a nobility, ruling over the Bosporan subjects.
q8otyY7.png

A Gothic game can be truly interesting for many reasons:

1. You are the farthest eastern Germanic culture and pagan ruler, a quick migration could have you eventually forcing the Cult of Wodin to the Indians.
2. A conversion to Arianism would make you a dangerous threat to Eastern Nicene Stability
3. Your position puts you in a perfect position to raid the Byzantines and Slavs
4. You could even embrace Bosporan culture, and aim to restore their Kingdom.
5. Hardest of all, you could convert to the local cult of Hypsistarianism, a unique monothiestic religion formed from Jewish and Thracian religious influences.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hellenism:

Mechanic wise, we have integrated the masterpiece of a mod, Ancient Religions for the Hellenics and Celts. Now, I present the map.
Ut7zWFN.png

Before I hear shouts of "He's making Lux Invicta!" "Look at that clear hellenic bias!" let me prove its existence.

Throughout the last of the Western Empire's days, the pagans remained a powerful influence, and their numbers in the mountains of Italy and Sicily were so great, the Empire couldn't enfoce the anti-pagan laws against them. Similarly in the East, Imperial Claimants at this time and for the next 100 years would find support among the pagans,promising to increase their rights. This setup allows the proper power and influence the Hellenic faith has at this time.

Some hellenic rulers:

Vasconians:
Culture: Basque
Religion: Hellenic Pagan
At this time, the Basque elite actively worshipped such dieties as Apollo and Jupiter, hence the population is Basque Paganism, and the elite is Hellenic.

In the Eastern Empire, there is some Hellenic power in Nisia and Achaia.
zBccPQH.png

Lastly, there are the Hellenic remanants of the lost kingdom of Maysan under the Sassanids.

Hellenism also has some heresies, but those will be handed in Mechanical Diary 12: Mystery Cults and You! How to join a secret sect.
mg9YQeb.png

I don't want to look too pedantic. (too late :p) But please can we have as much as possible a single name for a culture ?

Instead of crimean gothic, simply crimean (eastern germanic) ? I guess your eastern germanic group is pretty much the goths so no need for redundunce and this time you don't have the excuse of an already existing culture with the same name :p .

And African (latin) Instead of African Romance (latin). :wacko:

The culture group is already off a great help to know the origin of the culture. :)

Pretty please ? Mighty Enlil, God-Emperor of Humanity ? :eek:

Our Lord has spoken and the future of His flock is favorable... We'll done! It's great to see a decent among of pagans in the old parts of Rome considering they were the majority in the West a little over a century ago still. African romance is promising as well and I would definitely like a look at the Balkans ethnorwligiously as well. All-in-all, excellent update.

I don't want to look too pedantic. (too late :p) But please can we have as much as possible a single name for a culture ?

Instead of crimean gothic, simply crimean (eastern germanic) ? I guess your eastern germanic group is pretty much the goths so no need for redundunce and this time you don't have the excuse of an already existing culture with the same name :p .

The culture group is already off a great help to know the origin of the culture. :)

retty please ? Mighty Enlil, God-Emperor of Humanity ? :eek:
I personally like the description. As so far it looks nice on the screenshots, and I think it will help with the culture blends.

I personally like the description. As so far it looks nice on the screenshots, and I think it will help with the culture blends.

I don't know. I am the culture fanatics as any here in fact my dream is to play a ostrogoth--> gothic (romance goth) playthrough. Gothic Italy FTW fu.. the Lombards. :p even tough I am sure it won't be in the game but hey a man can dream... but I really think that the more simple the culture are the better it is for gameplay and rp sake.

Like if it was me who got to choose I will make a single Goth culture for crimea, ostrogoth and visigoth.

I think is the best way to simulate surprising turn of event (the funny ones :D ). Like what happens if the crimean goth loose crimea ? Can they still be considered crimean goth ? what if they conquer the dejure khiva in game ?
And what if those crimean goth split into two groups ala visigoth/ostrogoth one going in the middle east the other going north into russia ? should they be split ? afterall they would certainly be as different if not more than the differences between ostrogoth and visigoth themselves.

Making them one single goth culture solves all those issues and while we loose a bit of dephtness with the "oversimplification" it'll makes the game more "coherent" overall and in my view makes simpler to roleplay as. Going crimea-->khiva with Goth culture and then becoming persian or the melting pot if it exist (probably not :p).

That's also the reason why I also don't like what I call the name "inflation" things like romano-barbaric or helleno-whatever. I don't like this because it's an anachronism and people didn't call themselves like that. They were either Roman, Goths, Franks, Arabic, etc.. . Subcultures are okay but those "mix" is like calling some modern people like indian: "Anglo-Indian" because some have English as a first language or culturally close to brittish while still being Indian or other exemple like Franco-Arabic (maghrebian), Anglo-Hispanics, Romano-german (swiss ? Belgian ? Alsacian ?). See where I am going ? :p

Some exception exists of course like the Anglo-Saxon but the rarer the better. ;)

So the simpler the better I say ;) . I also read that the latinisation of german will be handled by a trait (roman culture somethin ?) if that's the case then awesome. :D

I will look at the Crimean Gothic, and I shall have Dev Diary 4: Spain is going down the Drain up tomorrow.

Praise to the empreror ! :eek:o

Great, but still not sure if so many provinces should be hellenic. Also the Hellenics should have a really hard time trying to convert other Nicene provinces. So you are really doiing those 30 dev diaries!

So the simpler the better I say ;) . I also read that the latinisation of german will be handled by a trait (roman culture somethin ?) if that's the case then awesome. :D

What trait are you talking about? :confused: There will be melting-pots, but there is a "Roman Nostalgia" trait present. Is it that one you are meaning?

And for the simpler the better you should look up all of the wierd religions (heresies) that exist in 480 or will spring up later during the game so that is not really the mods focus.

Pretty please ? Mighty Enlil, God-Emperor of Humanity ? :eek:

Just one problem, there is no Gothic Culture Group. Just West, North and East Germanic. However, its such a big culture so perhaps we could create a Gothic Culture Group. And the Crimean Goths could be called Crimgoths

And I think you migrate as the Crimgoths, their name changes into whatever region they´re in

Great, but still not sure if so many provinces should be hellenic. Also the Hellenics should have a really hard time trying to convert other Nicene provinces. So you are really doiing those 30 dev diaries!

What trait are you talking about? :confused: There will be melting-pots, but there is a "Roman Nostalgia" trait present. Is it that one you are meaning?

And for the simpler the better you should look up all of the wierd religions (heresies) that exist in 480 or will spring up later during the game so that is not really the mods focus.

I can't find the source but basically people talked about theodoric should have romano-gothic culture or something because he was considered as a roman by the roman ha ! and not a barbaric something like that and should not have stranger penalty I think ? And Enlil responded by saying there is already a trait handling that apparently. Maybe it's the one you gave ?

As for the "easy" part it was only my personal preference ;), the final decision rest with the Emperor and his will is sacred. :D

ust one problem, there is no Gothic Culture Group. Just West, North and East Germanic. However, its such a big culture so perhaps we could create a Gothic Culture Group. And the Crimean Goths could be called Crimgoths

And I think you migrate as the Crimgoths, their name changes into whatever region they´re in

Yeah I forgot that they were other Eastern Germanics like Vandals and Burgunds my bad. That's actually another argument for a single gothic culture. :p

:eek: if what you say is true then the ambition of this mod is too big for my imagination to handle. :confused:

One question, how will the mod handle the occitan ? I saw a map of gaul after the frankish melting pot and the results was kind of messy. :wacko:

The romano-gallic splitted in two different cultures because of the german invasions. In the north, the germanic languages and culture especially the frankish one had a huge influences on the romance people's language and customs while in the south, they were more visigothic influences but overall they were far less inflenced by german than their northern cousins.

The consequences: different languages, different customs --> different people.

I can't find the source but basically people talked about theodoric should have romano-gothic culture or something because he was considered as a roman by the roman ha ! and not a barbaric something like that and should not have stranger penalty I think ? And Enlil responded by saying there is already a trait handling that apparently. Maybe it's the one you gave ?

Oh, yes that whole issue, not sure what trait he meant, but the only one I have knowledge of is "Roman Nostalgia" that Zusk made.

So playing as a Celtic culture in continental Europe, is it possible to defeat the Romans?

This is "When the World Stopped Making Sense" everything is possible, but more or less hard. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.