• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Egypt could be pretty neat as an Empire, but I don´t think Oriens could or should be an Empire. And that I asume is the native name for the Islamic Empire?

Edit: Would the Oriens Empire represent the Praetorian Prefecture of the East and the Kingdom of Oriens the Diocese?

Yes

How would that work in-game? Would that title be available for everyone to create or will there be some special requirements? Like that the Diocese is your primary title?

How would that work in-game? Would that title be available for everyone to create or will there be some special requirements? Like that the Diocese is your primary title?

Yeah, it is a pretty tough to make Empire, but it exists simply for the possibilities for ahistorical development. Certain, reqierements are needed in order to make both the Egyptian Empire and the Oriens Empire.

Is there going to be an Armenian Empire possible to create? It would require an independent Armenian King to hold both the Armenian heartland, Antioch and Amida (the presumed location of the ancient capital of Tigranes the Great, Tigranakert)

Wouldn't that be a bit small?

I don´t know... You can look at this, the maximum extent of the Armenian Empire and then decide:

Armenian_Empire.png

Forgive me, but I'm going to chop that post into bits just for reading's sake and to address salient points more directly.

It's a good model for CK2, though, and one that still has enough academic backing to be legit. The struggles of the Goths, Franks, Anglo-Saxons, etc. make for good gameplay and allow for a lot of variety in how things turn out, who beats who, where what migrations end up, and so forth. Tilting things in favor of Roman restoration turns that game from one of forging new identities in the churning post-Roman world into a terrified rush to build up before the WRE reappears and non-Roman Western Europe gets chipped away at again and again.

I know that just because something happened historically doesn't mean it must happen, but it is what happened and provides a solid model of at least something to work with. Counterfactuals are fun and can be well-researched but are ultimately based upon some degree of conjecture, because by their very definition counterfactuals didn't actually happen.

That Visigoth-Ostrogoth union was based upon old blood ties, though, and clearly wasn't folded into Theodoric's realm-- not neatly, at least. It was a familial affair, Theodoric served as regent and not as king outright of the Visigoths, and the two realms drifted apart again as soon as Theodoric's hand left the tiller. That whole episode is probably one of the most CK2 moments of Gothic history, come to think of it.

Surely that should be an indicator that he was in a subordinate, not equal, position, if the East was so demanding about that sort of thing. Justin didn't bother getting Theodoric's approval before donning the purple, did he? Did the ERE ask Theodoric to approve their nominations? Was the relationship fully reciprocated, or was this one where the Ostrogoths sought out titles and the ERE doled them out to save itself trouble?

The ghost of Anthemius must've been haunting Theodoric during that naval buildup, hah.

That's from the Variae epistolae, which I recently was told was unreliable because it was reedited in the ERE.

If we're going by Procopius here, then that was after the first shots of the Gothic War had already been fired, and Theodehad seems to have viewed that proposal as a more of a trap than a real deal, considering his alleged fallback deal with Petrus was to just abdicate and get the fuck out of Dodge. That exchange could be interpreted not as Justinian recognizing a (near-)equal status already present between the two, but rather one which would elevate Theodatus to Justinian's level in exchange for the Goth's surrender (and then probably killing the Goth anyways). Theodehad instead opted to cede the crown altogether in exchange for books and a peaceful estate somewhere, but then reneged when Gothic and Roman troops clashed at Salona and it seemed like he might have a chance at holding off Justinian after all.

Didn't Ricimer get involved in similar deals with the mid-5th century emperors? Heck, Ricimer himself was made consul and married into an imperial family, didn't he? No one seriously considered him for emperor, though.

When did Theodoric utilize Imperator himself? That Variae I shouldn't cite and you've referenced doesn't use it, and if that document's suspect, then what trustworthy document does say it? You can cite primary sources with me, man, I'm good for it.

Brown-nosing predates Gilgamesh.

Theodoric had coinage similar to Imperial coinage because what other coinage was it going to look like? It's going to look like Roman coins and imitate Roman styles because the currency that Ostrogoths would've been familiar with was Roman to begin with.

Theodoric-sans-Anastasius just shows how committed he was to maintaining a special relationship with the ERE-- not terribly much. As above with Justinian, the ERE approach to Italy from Odoacer to the Gothic Wars seems to've been to try and woo the rulers with whatever florid titles they wanted, get an agreement in writing of increased ERE influence and then gradually drawing Italy back in. Didn't work that hot, since (as illustrated by your coinage example) Theodoric wasn't interested in a submissive role and later dynastic issues just made things too busy for that sort of arrangement to work out.

But he does use the term 'Rex' alone, which can be just interpreted as 'king' and not 'emperor'-- or was Childeric also claiming to be an emperor?

Fucking hell, this is taking forever to chug through.

Blah, the forum ate the post I spent 2 hours writing. I'm exhausted now.

Too many supports for the legitimacy of Theodoric as a Western Empire. You can't attack one without coming up against another. Be happy to have a detailed discussion by chat some time with anyone who cared to talk, but I sleep now.

Too many supports for the legitimacy of Theodoric as a Western Empire. You can't attack one without coming up against another. Be happy to have a detailed discussion by chat some time with anyone who cared to talk, but I sleep now.

Yeah Ofaloaf, we have heard your case but objection, OVERRULED.

I think that there should be no Theodoric and no Greeks for the WRE. Only cultures coming from the roman family should be able to form the WRE (Roman and Romano-Germanic (or some other outcomes)). At the point of time that the WRE was pretty much without any Greeks and it would noit be before later that Greeks would colonise parts of modern day Italy. Also meanwhile the WRe still existed they might have gotten the throne sometimes, but when it was dead they would not seek to restore it. Their relations will be modeled through the councils (I think) and it will depend if the schism has happened or not.

The problem with developing a such system is that it will never fit for everyone. What Some Player is proposing would not really fit for some germanic pagans as the Franks (you can se my advice for them in the OP) where thhe main title was really "destroyed".

Theodoric was the Western Emperor. His Romanness was never questioned by his subjects (except Boethius, who was at the time in prison awaiting execution on charges of treason, and is thus a biased source.) He was praised as Semper Augustus by the senate, called Princeps and Undefeated Imperator. His reign was compared with that of Trajan. Any sufficently Romanized ruler should be able to win Italo-Roman or Gallo-Roman or even Romano-African and Hispano-Roman support for reviving the Western Empire, so long as he consciously and continually continues to uphold Roman traditions: the Romans, even the Late Romans, were completely willing to accept a non-Italian as a Roman Emperor, as long as he was sufficiently 'Roman'.

He received a Roman education, but so did many other barbarians like Arminius . At any rate, the Ostrogoths as a whole weren't really as Romanized as you proposed. The 'barbarian' faction won out in the years following Theodoric's death.At any rate, even though Theodoric did receive the imperial regalia in 497, his claim to legitimacy was still under the polite fiction that he's a viceroy of the Emperor in Constantinople.He also ruled the Visigoths as a regent for his grandson, not as their king or emperor.

He didn't just receive a Roman education: he spent at least ten years of his life living as an elite in Constantinople. He was as Roman as they came. Additionally, the Goths living to the North of the Danube in the fifth century cannot be archaeologically distinguished from their Roman counterparts to the south of the Danube except in levels of material culture - those to the south of the Danube had MORE, which is why the Romano-Goths were willing to back any ruler who could get them settled on the Roman size of the line. The inhabitants of the Late-Roman (5th century) Balkans and the Romano-Goths lived extremely similar lifestyles outside of the major cities, and Theodoric's Romano-Goths spent years living in Roman cities in the Balkans prior to their attack on Italy. Then, while in Italy, they impressed even the Italo-Romans in their classical Roman-ness. Procopius writes that some Goths opposed Romanization after Theodoric's death, but we have no other evidence to support this claim, and Procopius is a very biased source writing in a time when the Eastern Empire was devoted to legitimizing its reconquest of Italy. For one thing, the assertion that Theodoric would ever have stated that no true Goth should ever accept a Roman education is complete bunk: Theodoric's Roman education is what made him a palatable Roman ruler in the eyes of the Italo-Roman elites, and he certainly raised his daughter to have that education and encouraged her to raise her son in like fashion and to maintain close ties with the Eastern Empire.

The 'polite fiction' you refer to about Theodoric being a viceroy of the Eastern Empire was made up after the fact by Eastern writers looking to deligitimize Amal rule in the West. Several accounts from the period refer to Theodoric being dispatched specifically to rule the Western Empire. There is also literally NO REASON to return the imperial regalia to the West if only a viceroy rules there: after the end of the Eastern Roman conquest, the regalia was shipped back to Constantinople, none of the later Exarchs wore it. Imperial purple was IMPERIAL, and Theodoric used it exclusively. And much much more (see above very long post on this subject.) too tired, sleep now.

Also, several recent historians have concluded that Theodoric exercised much greater direct authority over Visigothic Hispania than has previously been believed to be the case: see especially Haslall, Heather, Arnold, etc.) to the extent that had Eutharic not died young, the two territories would likely have remained connected even after Theodoric died.

Well, I believe all this finally put aside anyone´s doubt about making Theoderic an Emperor did it not? But Im also beginning to wonder; should we make Theoderic a Romano-Goth or an Arian Roman with Gothic Ancestry? Or is that pushing it too far?

Yeah Ofaloaf, we have heard your case but objection, OVERRULED.
Could I at least be pointed at some primary sources? I'm being told that these dudes said x, y, and z back in the day, and I've been told that a couple of times, but as much as taking people at their word is a common thing online, can I just have a citation of one or two primary sources where this stuff is actually said?

Well, I believe all this finally put aside anyone´s doubt about making Theoderic an Emperor did it not? But Im also beginning to wonder; should we make Theoderic a Romano-Goth or an Arian Roman with Gothic Ancestry? Or is that pushing it too far?

No defenitly not Roman. He was born a Goth and had Roman Education so Romano Goth is kinda ok. But is education the same as culture? For example: Im born German. If im educated by an French educator does it make me French-German? No im still German. Only because i speak French and have some French habits (dont know a better word for it) that does not change my culture. Only if i had a kid with a French or African women that child would be French-German or Afro-German. That is something that i find a bit annoing with CK2: If you have a Frankish son he can get Greek if you educate him by an Greek courtier. Couldnt we make Romanization a Trait like:

"Romanized"
This charakter is able to speak Latin like his mother tongue and trained in the habits and traditions of his educators.
+10 opinion with all Roman like charakters, +0,05 montly prestige and maybe an learning boost

You could add that for the culture groups like "Germanized" for the different german cultures.

Ad Loup: there were Greeks in Southern Italy at this time. And they were the greatest part of the population down there and relativly near to their homeland so atleast a few provinces should be Greek like Brindisi or Tarentum.

Last edited:
Yes, for the love of all that is good in the world KingdomofWales, please, please, please cite your sources. You're making several controversial claims here and simply taking stuff like "The religious hierarchy of Italy accepted Theodoric as a legitimate emperor." at face value is ... a bit difficult, given what the common perception of Theodoric's relationship with the papacy is. You are not the only history major on this forum and people are going to be much less bothered by you throwing down a few brackets and book titles or quotations than they are by you making very difficult to prove claims and expecting us to take your word on it.

No defenitly not Roman. He was born a Goth and had Roman Education so Romano Goth is kinda ok. But is education the same as culture? For example: Im born German. If im educated by an French educator does it make me French-German? No im still German. Only because i speak French and have some French habits (dont know a better word for it) that does not change my culture. Only if i had a kid with a French or African women that child would be French-German or Afro-German. That is something that i find a bit annoing with CK2: If you have a Frankish son he can get Greek if you educate him by an Greek courtier. Couldnt we make Romanization a Trait like:

"Romanized"
This charakter is able to speak Latin like his mother tongue and trained in the habits and traditions of his educators.
+10 opinion with all Roman like charakters, +0,05 montly prestige and maybe an learning boost

You could add that for the culture groups like "Germanized" for the different german cultures.

No, if add that trait then the hybrid cultures becomes meaningless. I realize that making Theoderic Roman is pushing it too far but we will make Theoderic Romano-Gothic, which simulates Romanization just beautifully. And if we wanna make anyone a Gothized Roman then we could add another hybrid culture where Gothic would be the primary culture, Gotho-Roman to be exact

Yes, for the love of all that is good in the world KingdomofWales, please, please, please cite your sources. You're making several controversial claims here and simply taking stuff like "The religious hierarchy of Italy accepted Theodoric as a legitimate emperor." at face value is ... a bit difficult, given what the common perception of Theodoric's relationship with the papacy is. You are not the only history major on this forum and people are going to be much less bothered by you throwing down a few brackets and book titles or quotations than they are by you making very difficult to prove claims and expecting us to take your word on it.

Actually, Theoderic was respected by the Popes. He was even trusted with mediating in a conflict about who was the Pope in late 498 AD.

Last edited:
No, if add that trait then the hybrid cultures becomes meaningless. I realize that making Theoderic Roman is pushing it too far but we will make Theoderic Romano-Gothic, which simulates Romanization just beautifully. And if we wanna make anyone a Gothized Roman then we could add another hybrid culture where Gothic would be the primary culture, Gotho-Roman to be exact

Why meaningless? Romano-Gallic existed not only because Gauls took the the Habits of the Romans but also the two cultures mixed. Education is not the same as culture. When Goths were educated by Romans they didnt become Romano-Gothic they became Romanized Goths. Romanization means that these people adopted Roman tradition, habits like clothing style or even bathing. Forget the traits about other cultures but "Romanized" should be in there. Use Theodoric for an example: Even though he was educated by Romans his son was Gothic so i dont see why this is so problematic.

Why meaningless? Romano-Gallic existed not only because Gauls took the the Habits of the Romans but also the two cultures mixed. Education is not the same as culture. When Goths were educated by Romans they didnt become Romano-Gothic they became Romanized Goths. Romanization means that these people adopted Roman tradition, habits like clothing style or even bathing. Forget the traits about other cultures but "Romanized" should be in there. Use Theodoric for an example: Even though he was educated by Romans his son was Gothic so i dont see why this is so problematic.

So what´s the difference between the Romano-Gallic and Theoderic? The Romano-Gauls are a people who originates from Romanized Gauls and Theoderic originates from a relatively Romanized people or more precise, a Romanized mother and the Gothic King Theodemir

So what´s the difference between the Romano-Gallic and Theoderic? The Romano-Gauls are a people who originates from Romanized Gauls and Theoderic originates from a relatively Romanized people or more precise, a Romanized mother and the Gothic King Theodemir

Was she Romanized or had a Roman parent? The Difference is that Romano-Gauls originated from the mix of Roman and Gaulish people. A Romano-Gaul is a person who has Roman and Gothic ancestry. If his mother was Roman or Romano Gothic then you are right. But if she was Romanized (she lived like a Roman but she had Gothic parents) than Theodoric was also Gothic.

To be more accurate: Romanization means to accept the habits, speech and rules like bathing in public baths or that the emperors were seen as gods (in later years of the Empire) of your new overlords. It means that the Romans integradet and assimilated the populations of newly conquered territories. A Romanized Gaul can be seen as a step between fully Gaul and Romano-Gaul. Only his children could become Romano-Gaul if he married a Roman or Romano-whatever woman. Romano-Gaul is the same as for an example English: a mix of different cultures. Not as complex as English but you can compare them.

What I propose for imperial titles with bureaucracy is to have law/s that trade money for revolt risk to represent the costs a huge empire has to keep itself stable and what happens when those needs are not met.

Status
Not open for further replies.