• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlil

WTWSMS - Lead Designer
73 Badges
Oct 8, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
When the World Stopped Making Sense
Hey ladies and gentlemen! Prepare to be awed and amazed, with the awesomeness and ambitiousness of my new AAR, one never done before by mortal hands, one alone in the sea of AARs about making Bilbo Baggins High Poncho of Mordor, or migrating the Byzantine empire into Scandinavia...) This AAR presents a world unseen by mortal eyes, one of migratory hordes, endless raiders, the fall of Rome and those who made good off of it.

Update: There is also a mod page for this, and if you have the most important gift, Event and Event Ideas, get over there!

Table of Contents
Prelude: Intravit Syagrius Rex: (Page 6)
Chapter 1: When Kings Come to Blows: (Page 6)
Chapter 2: By Gothic Fire the Romans Burn: (Page 7)
Chapter 3: Constantinople Has Fallen: (Page 7)
Chapter 4: The Hun: (Page 8)
Chapter 5: In the Heart of Clovis lay the Dagger (Page 10)
Chapter 6: Rome is For the Romans (Page 12)
Final Chapter: Dead Romans Rule No Kingdom (In Progess)

Behold the world of the Older Gods!
Iqf4i16.png

Faiths of the old world
YGjh5x6.png

The future conqueror of the world
cN2l1GE.png

Africa has a lot of divided states, but the Vandals are too unstable to make use of it.
xHtcx6p.png

Who want's to see the Ghassanid kings traced back to the year 220. I do!
riN4Rxe.png

Did the same to Atillia, Iberia, Lakhmids, Vandalica, Axum, Gotaland, and the Franks.
7xAW1nb.png

Readers of the Norse Sagas would recognize this fellow
ybhRxzD.png

And why do you awesome Guys and Gals matter?

Because you'll chose the path I'll take, who'll struggle to survive the Migrational Period, 4 years after the fall of the WRE, and see if I'll make it to the day the Mongols ruin everything. That is if the Sassanids don't take over the world. This AAR is an ambitious project, with a Frank-Load of new events regarding violence between the Arians and Nicenes, the great schism, Rise of Islam, Premature death of Mohammad, and the conformation of the Insular Celtic Church. Other events deal with the rise of the pope, and the restoration of great empires by their successors, Western Roman Empire (Soissons), Hunnic Empire, (Huns), Axum, (Axumites). For England, I have accurate and semi-accurate translations in the event of its conquest by any of the following cultures; Old Saxon, Norse, Old Frisian, Frankish, Roman, Welsh, Armorician, Jutes, Anglos, Picts, and just for fun, Visigoths. What will happen? Will Himyar and Kindah survive and restore Jerusalem? Will the Guptas be the new Megablob? Will it instead be Syragius who has Clovis' head on a pike? Will the Britons expel their foreign invaders and will Gotaland and Frisia join the scourging of England. Will the Mongols arrive and find out that Hepthalites rule the Steppes. Will the Sassanids defeat the Arabs and preserve the Zoroastrian flames, and lastly, will this young and divided church even end up with the Catholic and Orthodox schism. Will the Arians attain total victory? They are almost even in provinces, with the majority of Nicens either under Byzantine or Arian rule. Many Arian nations rule pagan populations. (Suebia, Ostrogoths) so a few more conversions can make the Nicenes heretics. In the Middle East, the fledgling Monophysite and Karvellian church could survive and become the main branch of Christianity. This is not you safe and dandy Old Gods start, this is the age of migrating hordes, raiders sailing and pillaging the world, nations rising and falling in a year, and all out holy war. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Say wha? What is this mod? I'm highly intrigued. I'm sure that's a stupid question but I've never read an AAR before.

Yes, I would also like to know which mod this is, if it is a mod and not personal modifications.
Also, I look forward to the Hepthalites conquering Persia and Iconoclasts conquering the world :p
Also, does this mod / modification convert properly to EUIV?

This mod converts the once boring 867 Old Gods world to the world of 480 ad, 4 years after the fall of Rome. To help people who to pick for me to play, here are some interesting nations.

Soissons
Religion: Nicene
Culture: Roman
Predominant Culture: Romano-Gallic
Why: Rex Syragius is the last king of Soissons, a Roman kingdom forged from the ruins of the empire, Syragius will soon be captured and killed by the young Clovis, ending roman control over, well anything. The only Nicene among many Arians, Syragius would need a miracle to survive, and even restore the Western Empire. But does the final King of Rome have what it takes to defy the odds, or will face the same fate as Tarquinius Superbus?

The Britons
Religion: Insular Christianity
Culture: Briton
Why: This is the final hour for the Britons, foreign invaders have landed on their shores, and they intend, and will take all of Britain. They have no King Arthur, no legendary knights to save them, and they are now more divided than ever, for the Pagan Picts to the north have been eyeing their land, and way of life. Already a Briton exodus has begun, with new Briton kingdoms arising in Cantabria and Armorica. Will they restore these ancient Celtic lands and survive?

Ghassanids:
Religion: Monophysite
Culture: Levantine Arabic
Why: The Ghassanids have long been a buffer state against the Byzantine's enemies, the Lakhmids. Now, with the Ghassanids conversion to Monophystism, things have been tense. The only members of their faith, save for the doomed nation of Alodia, the Ghassanids can try to mantain and make the middle east a grand home for Monophysite scholars. Emperor Zenon will not stop them now, nor will the rise of Islam.

Iberia
Religion: Kartivellian
Culture: Georgian
Why: Iberia has been around for a long time, thousands of years to be correct. They owe this to their careful diplomacy, and willing do join whatever faction was needed. Now, Iberia is in the most danger in 2 thousand years. Neither factions will protect you now. To join either you must give up the Georgian Orthodox church and conform with Nicene Christianity, or the ways of the Prophet Zoroaster. But the Steppes are your friend, the weak remnants of the Hunnic Empire are a perfect staging ground. If everything is plated well, this ancient Kingdom can rule the world.

The Other Germans (Alamannia, Thuringia, Germanii, Frisia, Burgundy)
Religion: Arian, Germanic
Culture: Various
Why: Why should the Franks rule the world? These nations are powerful too. How would the world be different in the Holy Roman Empire came in the flavor of the Alamannians? These nations have possibilities, and goals that the Franks cannot provide, or support. Will these nations stand up against Clovis, and defy his domination, and conversion to Nicene. Only time will tell the fate of Europe, but whoever will own it, will pay with blood and steel.

Laguantan
Religion: West African Pagan
Culture: Berber
Why: Behold East Anglia! An 867 Bulgarian count in Dejure Hungary! An Irish state when the Aztecs come cruising. Laguantan doesn't have a chance. 3 counties, no structures, and no weal neighbors. Your friendly African Roomates are the Vandals and Byzantines, factions who don't care about converting the infidels. But you have value, and you only chance. Your a buffer state, the only thing stopping the Vandals and Byzantines from going into Holy War. If your lucky, the Byzantines will decide declare an ill-fated holy war against the Sassanids and the Vandals will invade the Mauri instead. Sit and wait for your chance, and introduce the West African Pagans, to the East.

You have other civilizations in mind? Great! Fantastic! Awesome! Tell me why I sHould play them and we'll get this show on the road!

I believe that we should be provided with the world map before we can make a suggestion.

Is it possible for us to get ahold of this mod?

As for the AAR; I'm quite familiar with Soissons so my vote is for that. I need make no more argument for it than salvaging the Western Empire.

I agree with Hackworthy, I vote for Soissons because ... Well, it's in nowadays France. Do you what is cooler than nowadays France ? Epic Old France ! So vote Soissons or the ghost of Robespierre will come to behead you.

P.S : Dear Wiglaf (You the author),
Gimme that mod ! Or I will haunt you till your beheading :) .

Syagrius Rex! Ave Deus et Caesar!

What is this mod? Did you make it? Why not post it?

And why dies Paradox say this time period is impossible?

Its very hard to represent the major migrations like the goths who come frome crimea/sweden and the "roman states" aren´t feudal.

Its very hard to represent the major migrations like the goths who come frome crimea/sweden and the "roman states" aren´t feudal.

Well it's certainly possible given the Magyar mechanics. I know it's horrible, buggy, and in its infancy, so a Fall of Rome game would require a new game engine without Risk-like province borders.

What was the Roman successor state political/economic system even called? Not capitalism or feudalism...

We should see the world map first before deciding, in order to have a complete knowledge around the nations that exist within the game.

Britons! And would it have killed the modmakers to make its king some version of Arthur or Uther?

Keep those Saxons in their own country.

Reactions:
Hey, play as the Byzantine Empire, but instead of becoming Greek become a German Empire :p
Otherwise play as Odoacer, King of Italy.

Hey, play as the Byzantine Empire, but instead of becoming Greek become a German Empire :p
Otherwise play as Odoacer, King of Italy.

The Byzantine Empire is really powerful at this point in time, probably the stongest they'll eer be.

Britons! And would it have killed the modmakers to make its king some version of Arthur or Uther?

Me?

Keep those Saxons in their own country.

Those blasted infidels!

We should see the world map first before deciding, in order to have a complete knowledge around the nations that exist within the game.
Of course, I'll have it posted soon.

Burgundy, for all of Nibelung antics, it should be Burgundy!
Also, where can I get this mod, I'll give all the gold of Rhine for it.

All of it?

Rome shall live one! CzokletMuss doesn't know the true bastion of Roman might!

I made it, didn't know it would be in so huge of demand, if this AAR runs smoothly I probably will.

Something to do with obscure rulers, blah blah, tribal migrations, blah blah, the potential destruction of the world in the event of a Soissonian Holy Roman Empire that is Holy, Roman, and an Empire. (You have not seen the true Kaiserreich my child...)

I agree with Hackworthy, I vote for Soissons because ... Well, it's in nowadays France. Do you what is cooler than nowadays France ? Epic Old France ! So vote Soissons or the ghost of Robespierre will come to behead you.

Epic old France, still under the rule of a roman Governor-King, Is there no end to the awesomeness of 480!

Is there also a full wordt map?

I'll be posting it in like, 5 minutes

My vote is for the Britons. Let's see if it's possible to turn the tide.

Then, shall come the inevitable Briton invasion of Saxony, because not even Arthur had the guts to take the war back to the Saxons themselves.

And a small detail: the link in your sig leads to a blank page...

Uh oh, I'll fix it right away

Notice

Seeing all you so excited for the year 480 makes me a happy person. I'll be posting a world-map for scrutiny and inevitable history rage, so don't be too harsh on me, nobody is perfect.

Last edited:
Don't worry, we aren't harsh, we are impatient :p
By the way, with the world map there should be a religious and cultural map as well if you do not mind.

Thanks!
I vote for Himyar. Make the Middle east honour the name of Yahweh!

I'll be watching, just to see how the mod deals with the migrations and such. Will be interesting to see if Islam rises and how it is handled

Status
Not open for further replies.