When internal politics update comes?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

maxk94

Colonel
94 Badges
Nov 4, 2012
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Rome Gold
Internal politics with their factions and government-types seems to me the only part of stellaris where we never got a greater update on - so...when we get it?

• 7Like
Reactions:
I think internal politics should be something that makes mid game more interesting. At the moment, mid game feels little bit boring since the khan is no real danger anymore (because the AI became much better)

And internal politics can make authorities (imerpial, democracy, megacor) more unique. At the moment, they feel the same :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
It is NEVER coming.

People whine too much about revolts for Paradox to implement them in any meaningful way anymore. Just look at their other recent releases, where revolts are irrelevant for the player and/or easily gamed out of relevancy.

Reactions:
It's never coming, at least not one that most people will agree is enjoyable. People want it because "internal politics" is amorphous and it let's them put on their "ideas guy" cap and present their 24 page dissertation of mechanics that basically amount to making an entirely different game.

"Internal politics" might sound fun on paper, but it's never been implemented well in any major strategy game, especially ones that are already deep in their life cycle. Crusader Kings has a major emphasis on internal politics, yet good players can trivialize it within a few minutes of any campaign. EU4 tried to add it with estates 1.0, but that just ended up just amounting to a few cows that needed to be milked and micromanaged every decade or so.

EU4 gets similar calls for internal politics constantly, and the devs have tried valiantly many times, and each attempt has ended in failure. I hope the Stellaris devs don't make the same mistake.

Reactions:
It's never coming, at least not one that most people will agree is enjoyable. People want it because "internal politics" is amorphous and it let's them put on their "ideas guy" cap and present their 24 page dissertation of mechanics that basically amount to making an entirely different game.

"Internal politics" might sound fun on paper, but it's never been implemented well in any major strategy game, especially ones that are already deep in their life cycle. Crusader Kings has a major emphasis on internal politics, yet good players can trivialize it within a few minutes of any campaign. EU4 tried to add it with estates 1.0, but that just ended up just amounting to a few cows that needed to be milked and micromanaged every decade or so.

EU4 gets similar calls for internal politics constantly, and the devs have tried valiantly many times, and each attempt has ended in failure. I hope the Stellaris devs don't make the same mistake.
Internal politics seems to mean something different to you than what the players want. We want roleplay for our ethics, or else the ethics mean nothing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Internal politics seems to mean something different to you than what the players want.
This is the problem.

Ask ten players who say they want "internal politics" what that means, and you'll get eleven answers.

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Based on the suggestions many people give in other threads, it's clear many people want much more than *just* roleplay when they use the words "internal politics".
you misunderstand. i didn't say "JUST" roleplay. but that is the fundamental thing missing from this game. build a utopia (without slaves, don't give me your xenos are soylent not people excuses), or build the worst genocidal slave state in galactic history, it feels more or less the same.

my point is, that fundamental aspect can and will be dealt with, this idea that you cannot make internal politics mechanics is nonsense.

start with the roleplay, and build outwords to get a deep politics system that doesn't fail because it doesn't try to be gimmicky, it's just trying to let you tell your people's story:

• most of the time, government is a coalition, this needs restating. so your fanatic egalitarian xenophiles start as a coalition between fanatic egalitarian faction and xenophile faction (can merge later)
  • faction designer with multiple ethics and multiple fanatic ethics allowed (country rules do not apply)
  • system where moderate factions gain a fanatic wing which can split and vice versa under certain conditions
  • system where moderate and fanatic factions can merge, or swallow each other up, depending on which is on the ascendant
  • wings can be of other ethical combos, your fanatic egalitarian xenophile wing is pissed at your moderate egalitarian xenophobe wing, leading to splits/expulsions. this can be tied into the coalition system so the more your egalitarians cosy up to your xenophobes in an egalitarian xenophobe society, the more the other wing is pissed. allowing you to stray from your chosen ideals, with consequences and escalating situations. this should solve all those "but X ethic means Y" debates
  • different factions can merge under certain conditions, if I want my ruling faction to be Fanatic Egalitarian Fanatic Xenophile Fanatic Materialist (while my country is just Fanatic Egalitarian Xenophile) then I should be able to make it happen
  • pick up living standard demands in the faction designer, i want my faction to demand utopian abundance
  • spread your faction's specific design (manifesto) to other empires and build "The Intergalactic" faction
  • strong integration between vassal and federation mechanics (ethical federations and federation laws, federation liberation wars, federation mergers) and your factional manifesto should you wish it
  • strong integration between the custodian/emperor mechanics and this system (maybe with a third, "liberator" mechanic with a better name and maybe access to more country ethic points?)

Stop pretending stellaris can't have politics. Stellaris must have politics.

all of this is without mentioning the inevitable rebellion mechanics they need to implement. but even if people are as whiny about those as you say, there's still plenty more that can be added. i still think all these mechanics BEG for a rebellion system.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Internal politics with their factions and government-types seems to me the only part of stellaris where we never got a greater update on - so...when we get it?
That update will hit the day after all my favorite mods are updated to this current update so the new update can break all my favorite mods again.
/snark.

build outwords to get a deep politics system that doesn't fail because it doesn't try to be gimmicky
Again, all of this sounds nice on paper, but it runs into the reality of limited dev time. The core gameplay loop of Stellaris is currently economic management + warfare/conquest. There's no doubt "internal politics" could complement these, but it'd have to be built from the ground up in many different ways if it's to ever amount to more than just a gimmick. That's a lot of dev hours that could otherwise be spent improving the game in other ways like diplomacy or warfare.

I also notice that one of my major points of my post up above went ignored: No major strategy game (at least in the last 15 years or so) has implemented politics well, especially not when devs have tried to introduce it deep in the lifecycle of an already existing game. Nobody can point to another game and say "the internal politics system should look like this, but modified in a few ways to fit the theme of Stellaris". Just because a system like that doesn't exist yet doesn't mean it's impossible, but it should serve as a clear indicator that "internal politics", for whatever reason, is very difficult to get right. Feel free to give an example of a game that gets it right if you can though, as I'd love to be proven wrong.

Reactions:
Again, all of this sounds nice on paper, but it runs into the reality of limited dev time. The core gameplay loop of Stellaris is currently economic management + warfare/conquest. There's no doubt "internal politics" could complement these, but it'd have to be built from the ground up in many different ways if it's to ever amount to more than just a gimmick. That's a lot of dev hours that could otherwise be spent improving the game in other ways like diplomacy or warfare.

I also notice that one of my major points of my post up above went ignored: No major strategy game (at least in the last 15 years or so) has implemented politics well, especially not when devs have tried to introduce it deep in the lifecycle of an already existing game. Nobody can point to another game and say "the internal politics system should look like this, but modified in a few ways to fit the theme of Stellaris". Just because a system like that doesn't exist yet doesn't mean it's impossible, but it should serve as a clear indicator that "internal politics", for whatever reason, is very difficult to get right. Feel free to give an example of a game that gets it right if you can though, as I'd love to be proven wrong.
bro most strategy games get everything wrong, that's why we're playing stellaris and not those other games. a lot of strategy games do not have pops and that's the main advantage stellaris has going into this. stellaris can model pop demands in ways other games cannot. the only game that comes close is Victoria III and I have not played it yet so I don't know how well they model politics. but their factions are tied to specific classes' demands (interest groups) and that is exactly what stellaris needs.

regardless, this is precisely the kind of thing a DLC on the scale of Federations or Overlord could achieve. you're pretending this is unachievable but it is 100% doable.

• 5Like
Reactions: