When Equipped With Assault Mechs, Do You Keep Lighter Mechs Around?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I always have enough non-assault mechs around that I can deploy a lance of any weight range. Right now I have 5 Assaults, 5 heavies, 4 mediums and 4 Firestarters available.

Since I play with mods it means I can do missions other than just all 5 skull if I want to. I personally have more fun with the lighter mechs anyway, I don't like the sit in trees and be a turret play-style that assaults tend to be more geared toward.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In my current career playthrough I'm keeping a medium lance around for flashpoints that require them. I'm doing this playthrough with 4-piece mech salvage, so it's harder to pick new mechs through headshots. I've got a Griffin 2N, a Crab, a Shadow Hawk 2H (slightly re-tooled to a ranged sniper/scout with an AC/5, Large Laser, and the LRM-5.), a Trebuchet, and a Phoenix Hawk. Most of my unrestricted missions get the Lostech Bull Shark, Highlander 733-P, Marauder 3D, and an Archer 2R

I have a 350 ton, 300 ton and 250 ton lances ready to go with 6 spares. In almost every mission, I used a Marauder. Because of the Command Module, the Marauder usually gets more kills than the other 3, even in the Assault Lance. The "Recon" Lance, for example, has a Jump Jet equipped Marauder D with large lasers, Two Thunderbolts and a Catapult. Weight becomes a issue I have a Quickdraw and a Griffon to enlist. The most restrictive wight limit I have seen was 60 ton max.

The most fun I had with weight limits was the mission in which you sheppard three notice Mechawarriors. It came up as a 5 Skull Mission. The three Notice Mecharriors were piloting an Urban Mech, a Commando and a Panther. I added my Atlas II but Darius would still not left me drop! It would have been fun.