• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm obliged to pass along this anecdote that was told to me by a friend.

One evening my friend's husband was having some pains. They persisted, so he went to the hospital, where he died the next day. After a brief examination, the doctor asked my friend if he worked on a computer. She was rather surprised that he knew, and the doctor clarified.

It has become rather common that people die of blood clots, due to long periods spent sitting in front of computers. Its very important to get up once every two hours and move around, as this is a simple remedy that may be preventative. She has made me promise to do so, and has asked that I tell everyone I know who is in a similar situation.

I usually don't play for more than 4 or 5 hours at a time, but since I am unemployed, unmarried and do not socialize, I do so with great frequency. I can't say I actually keep track, as I find it rather humiliating to be in this situation. Sorry to be so dour, but it is rather serious; especially for the younger people on the forum. Bad habits become harder to break as time goes by.

i think it's called deep vein thrombosis in medical-speak. It can also happen when you're sitting in a plane, etc.

Along the same lines: occasionally give your eyes a break, say every ten minutes or so?

(Cue the Bioware/Baldur's Gate reminder for dedicated players to occasionally eat...)

Actually its the Pulmonary embolism that kills you- basically where the clot that forms in the deep veins of the legs breaks off and blocks blood flow to your lungs suffocating you.

The medical recommendation is that you not sit for more then 2 hours without moving. Get up and taking a walk will help keep blood moving in your deep veins and prevent the Deep Vein Thrombosis (aka clot in your leg) from forming.

Once, with a friend of mine, I played Age of Rifles for 10 hours.
We won, as the Confederation, the battle of Gettysburg.

I got home at 6 AM and woke up at 8 for going to work.:cool:

You can keep that BS. I was going to call you a whippersnapper, but you're almost as old as my wife, so uhhh... I guess you get a lot of exercise and eat right or something.

What BS?

Somewhere in the 12 to 18 hour range... that's non-stop except for eating and pooping.:D

But I've put together long 3 day weekends broken only by sleep...

I had broken my longest time staying awake record with HoI2 several years ago, playing Japan, (speaks volumes about how occupying China invasion is :p) it was around 70-75 hours. The second day I was feeling tired but on the third day, somehow all that tiredness disappeared while my reactions were almost as if crashed. As much as I noticed something weird was going on, I also had lost the capability to worry. Thankfully there were people around who forced me to go right to bed so I didn't end up like those who died playing WoW. :rofl: I slept soundly more than 20 hours. :eek:o

Don't try it at home kids, certainly not healthy!

Empire building games always get me addicted into long sessions like that.

As HoI is Epic gameplay its even worse. I've had bad marathon sessions with the Total war series b4 but the worst games are HoI and Civ IV. I tried to get a ridiculous score on a marathon (speed setting) game in Civ IV on a HUge map. Really bad IDea. Anyone who has ever played Civ IV knows how long marathon can be. That single game took like 100 hours to play.

I've had some HoI games that went pretty damn long but I didn't see them through. Trying to conquer the world with China and Japan are both tedious as is picking some crappy little country and making progress. Gave up after I felt like I had a good footing.