What's the actual standard for eligibility for rivalry?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

forfor

Major
54 Badges
Dec 6, 2016
  • Divine Wind
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
So, in my current game, I (2300 dev empire with 250k troops) received a rivalry declaration from a minor south asian power. (775 dev, 75k troops. Minor relative to me anyway.) I'm wondering how they were possibly within the acceptable range to declare a rivalry? how is this calculated?

I don't think the exact conditions are publicly known, but the wiki claims it also takes navy and tech into account. My personal experience is that the power range for more powerful countries is very large, and the numbers you are listing wasn't very unusual back when I last played.

Reactions:
I don't think the exact conditions are publicly known, but the wiki claims it also takes navy and tech into account. My personal experience is that the power range for more powerful countries is very large, and the numbers you are listing wasn't very unusual back when I last played.
It's not public--a detail I found out when I complained about regular old Provence being able to rival me as England after winning the HYW with France as a PU junior, and was told simply "Working as Intended." o_O

It's not public--a detail I found out when I complained about regular old Provence being able to rival me as England after winning the HYW with France as a PU junior, and was told simply "Working as Intended." o_O
Be grateful - weak rivals are a blessing! You can easily show strength/humiliate them. What's more annoying is that Ming will inevitably rival you if you grow moderately strong anywhere in Asia.

Reactions:
Be grateful - weak rivals are a blessing! You can easily show strength/humiliate them. What's more annoying is that Ming will inevitably rival you if you grow moderately strong anywhere in Asia.
Usually unless I'm already a big empire, I'll just sign on to be a tributary so that I can gobble up all their other tributaries without them interfering ;)

Outside of tech, dev and military strenght(which seems to overvalue force limit) it also seems to go based on the institution penalty for great powers, when calculating dev. For example i think renaissance gives a negative 33% great power multiplier for your dev, and so on if you are several institutions behind. I notice often that when i take an insitution that im suddenly eclipsing my old rivals, who either dont have that institution or already had it.

• 1Like
Reactions: