• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great game, loving it to bits.

Just gave Richard a cavalry unit and with the ability to raise morale of nearby troops and decrease of nearby enemy troops he is surely the focus of my conflicts in each battle. Either I haven't noticed yet or it is too early but not seen many enemy hero units yet. Woo!

Seems to be getting pretty good reviews, tempted to grab it while Steam still has the DLC bundeled in. Only problem is I'm so poor at the moment.

Did you play King Arthur rambir? I get the feeling that this is a bit simpler than that but in a good way. Do they still have the text based questing? And how is the unit balancing, that was Arthur's greatest weakness?

Seems to be getting pretty good reviews, tempted to grab it while Steam still has the DLC bundeled in. Only problem is I'm so poor at the moment.

Did you play King Arthur rambir? I get the feeling that this is a bit simpler than that but in a good way. Do they still have the text based questing? And how is the unit balancing, that was Arthur's greatest weakness?

Well, to me KA greatest weakness was not it's unit balancing (athough the christian side did seem a bit weaker then the old faith side), but more about the AI cheating during the campaign.

The beauty about Lionheart is the AI cheating seems very minimal as it's not like KA at all in terms of turns of an open campaign map. Instead, with Lionheart, you get a map and then you just pick provinces one at a time, and play a battle to conquer it. There is some minor back-tracking where sometimes the factions will ask you do the missions for them, and in turn it can port you into a battle.

The battles themselves in Lionheart seem a lot easier then KA, I'm playing on normal but my crusader units seem like their Spartans at Thermopylae, lol.. As a lot of times my kills to unit ratio against to the enemy is insanely high in my favor. (As it seems your always outnumbered in the battles, but your units I guess are better to compensate the outnumbered stuff) Also, the battles last longer in this game then they did in KA, since the enemy usually brings way more units then you.

As for the adventure quests which were really cool in KA, unfortunately there is none of that so far it seems in Lionheart. Instead, what replaces that are historical/semi-historical event choices that you pick one option which in turn will give you fame with one of the factions and more fame you unlock with a particular faction, eventually, you'll unlock bonuses and units from that faction.

So overall, a very different, yet similar game then KA, and still enjoyable in a different way then KA. I will say though that KA did feel a lot more open ended then Lionheart, but the battles I think play out much nicer in Lionheart. I just hope eventually a rotate camera from the edge screen becomes a viable option, as the rotate camera features so far in Lionheart is not that good in my eyes.

I did play KA. It is simpler in that you only choose which region to battle in next. The quests so to speak are little extra text boxes which either have you picking which faction to choose for a given problem, sometimes this requires a battle as well. That said, the army management in how you can develop your forces is a bit more fleshed. You can give units a "captain" which is like a mini-hero, equip them with priests, healers and items. The unit development is a bit more important as they can earn traits for their deeds during battle which make them stronger than a newly recruited troop. Traits like, greater resistance to arrow fire, the ability to withstand 'shock' if hit by a cavalry charge, and so forth. Also morale can shift up and down. A unit will suffer major morale loss if they lost most of their men during a previous battle, which is a cool thing as it gives the impression(a sensible one) that troops would be upset they lost their fellow comrades. So you begin to care for your units and can develop them for specific purposes.

Just noticing mp84 has covered mostly what I just said.

Overall I prefer KA, but only because of its atmospheric setting and sandboxy environment with a cool story.

The battles have a lot more set pieces in them, so multiple objectives provides a cool step by step focus. For example, the siege of Acre first began with you needing to hold the port from which you landed in for a few minutes with a vanguard force; to give yourself time for your main forces to arrive. Then the objective moves on for you to pick one of two sites to establish your siege weapons. And then the final objective, after you set down your siege weapons, requires you to take the city.

The objectives in battle can also vary depending on which faction's "strategy" you choose, which in turn increases your fame with them. France, for example, favour strategies which are mostly about charging in head strong (they love their heavy cavalry). I remember in one battle we were to rescue an Imam from a safe house up a hill. The road was clearly set for an ambush and France was all, "They'll never expect us to charge through with our cavalry!" while other factions like Templars were "draw their main army out while we sneak around the back". So things like this can influence how battles play out, which is quite nice.

I picked France for that strategy, something quite exciting about cavalry units charging through then being chased by the main army while we tried to reach the exit point, where I moved the bulk of my army to help them.

If you liked KA, I can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't like LH.