Whats is wrong with this game?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vlad123

General
1 Badges
Feb 7, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I tried to figure out what was wrong with this game. Let me be clear, I have never played it, because the combat being "X-com" style I abandoned it because I HATE that system. Now I don't know exactly what he screwed up, but I remember that one good Mafia game was "the godfather" for ps2, ok it wasn't strategic and another (MMO) that I can't remember the name. But in my opinion with a little work you could get a great strategy game (there is an Italian "pimp manager" game that was very good despite being a free indie, but unfortunately it does very badly on modern machines). What killed EoS? X-com style combat? The internal imbalance in the game about some things? Or problems with the game's creator (Romeo, not PDX)? What don't run on this game?

I tried to figure out what was wrong with this game. Let me be clear, I have never played it, because the combat being "X-com" style I abandoned it because I HATE that system. Now I don't know exactly what he screwed up, but I remember that one good Mafia game was "the godfather" for ps2, ok it wasn't strategic and another (MMO) that I can't remember the name. But in my opinion with a little work you could get a great strategy game (there is an Italian "pimp manager" game that was very good despite being a free indie, but unfortunately it does very badly on modern machines). What killed EoS? X-com style combat? The internal imbalance in the game about some things? Or problems with the game's creator (Romeo, not PDX)? What don't run on this game?

Well I wouldn't say EoS is dead, but not hearing any updates or from the developers definitely does not bode well.

I think the main problem is that it did focus too much on the x-com combat and not enough on the strategic layers. I think Romero games made a great game, but for whatever reason, they decided not to try and "complete" it. I think with their first DLC, they were going in the right direction but again, we haven't heard anything since. It's a shame really because it has such a solid foundation.

Well I wouldn't say EoS is dead, but not hearing any updates or from the developers definitely does not bode well.

I think the main problem is that it did focus too much on the x-com combat and not enough on the strategic layers. I think Romero games made a great game, but for whatever reason, they decided not to try and "complete" it. I think with their first DLC, they were going in the right direction but again, we haven't heard anything since. It's a shame really because it has such a solid foundation.
Yeah are the song of my life: "Hey these game had a solid foundation, can become a wonderful game! *game be abbandoned after few time for X motive*

It would be nice to get an update. Clearly something has occurred that has led to radio silence. Romero will be bound by a non disclosure agreement and as there isn’t a wave of demands for explanation from the community, Paradox are able to keep schtum also. So who knows. ‍♂️

The XCom style combat isnt the issue - and actually works well in this game, in my opinion. The problem seems to be that the math on the strategic layer doesnt add up, meaning any choices you make there are overly simplistic and have no strategic effect on the game (upgrading breweries as an example).

The bigger issue is the radio silence from the devs (for almost 2 years now) - especially when you consider that those of us who bought the "season pass" are still owed a second DLC. Ive more or less given up at this point, but my trust in Romero Games is pretty much gone and my respect for Paradox has taken a definite hit.

I uninstalled the game months ago but would love a reason to reinstall.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The bigger issue is the radio silence from the devs (for almost 2 years now) - especially when you consider that those of us who bought the "season pass" are still owed a second DLC. Ive more or less given up at this point, but my trust in Romero Games is pretty much gone and my respect for Paradox has taken a definite hit.

The devs were still posting in Nov 21 so ten months not nearly two years. My guess is that Paradox pulled the plug and the reason is almost certainly financial. Romero won’t be able to give an explanation because of an NDA in their contract.

Reactions:
The bigger issue is the radio silence from the devs (for almost 2 years now)
The game hasn't even been out for 2 years, and they released a DLC less than a year ago.

But yeah the game is total dildos by all accounts and no one should really waste their time thinking about it.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I played 8 hours with Al Capone, after taking some rackets and destroying some factions, I couldn't play more. The game is "repetitive" without new content. That is the problem.

The XCom style combat isnt the issue - and actually works well in this game, in my opinion. The problem seems to be that the math on the strategic layer doesnt add up, meaning any choices you make there are overly simplistic and have no strategic effect on the game (upgrading breweries as an example).

I uninstalled the game months ago but would love a reason to reinstall.

This is weird since the Romeros are usually very forthcoming about things. Heck, John Romero is pretty approachable even in his age now with all the wealth and stauts he has. He recently release a free WAD for doom and is super communicative with the community, while offering die hard fans "collectors editions" to support future work.

I suspect that the game was simply taken over by the marketing team, the Romeros are probably using this as a cashcow by now for what its worth and have moved on to other things.

I honestly feel that neither Paradox nor the Romeros are to blame for this.
The fact that people know that there are issues with Early Access games in general and Paradox releases prior to patches in particular and still pre-pay for the game and 2 DLCs is on you guys. I´d take the money and run. Capitalism is about incentive and while it is cool that we can have consumers funding projects that they like, it should be done one project at a time.

This probably falls under some consumer protection laws. If you truly feel wrong, contact Paradox games and ask for a 1/3rd refund.

According to UK consumer laws you have the following expecations:

Incl but not limited to:

Every contract to supply a service is to be treated as including a term that the trader must perform the service with reasonable care and skill.
In that case the contract is to be treated as including a term that the trader must perform the service within a reasonable time.

Also a bunch of stuff about there being expecations of reasonable communication on behalf of the company.

On the other hand, Im sure the product will come out eventually. Back in the day expansions took a year sometimes two to make. Romeros are oldschool, their expansions seem to be fairly big, not simple DLC / added content stuff. So if you want to wait it will probably slowly improve.

I sort of suspected this game will fall flat when I was watching the videos on gameplay. Even there, the game seems shallow. Any game that is based on character runs this risk. The early negative comments were the proverbial nail in the coffin for me.

For a game of this type, you would have to write a huge number of characters (100s) or it will become repetitive.

At the risk of pouring salt in the wounds, I would never buy a season pass for anything but an already-established paradox title.

I only came here because I have had this game on my Wishlist since its release. I decided to read the comments and read that it was abandoned. It looks safe to remove altogether.

I sort of suspected this game will fall flat when I was watching the videos on gameplay. Even there, the game seems shallow. Any game that is based on character runs this risk. The early negative comments were the proverbial nail in the coffin for me.

For a game of this type, you would have to write a huge number of characters (100s) or it will become repetitive.

At the risk of pouring salt in the wounds, I would never buy a season pass for anything but an already-established paradox title.

I only came here because I have had this game on my Wishlist since its release. I decided to read the comments and read that it was abandoned. It looks safe to remove altogether.

Yes, it's especially sad considering a few months ago, the developer announced they are working on another game altogether. They had the gall to talk about this game without mentioning they left players on the hook for a third DLC. I wonder if Paradox will be their publisher again. :D

There’s no telling just what Romero Games has up its sleeve next. The team most recently worked on the gangland 4X strategy title Empire of Sin under the direction of Brenda Romero, putting out the game in 2020 and DLC for it in 2021. While we don’t know much about this new first-person shooter under John, the fact that it will be an FPS is worth attention. Not only that, but it sounds like an idea is set and the group already has a publisher ready for this latest project.

It is absolutely ridiculous that they still haven't addressed that they have abandoned the game before releasing the content some here have paid for. It is also mindblowing that Paradox seems to be just about fine with this. I am fuming. This is how you treat customers who invested heavily into the game: just leave them hanging, no refund, no explanation, just ghosting. What goes around, comes around.

It is absolutely ridiculous that they still haven't addressed that they have abandoned the game before releasing the content some here have paid for. It is also mindblowing that Paradox seems to be just about fine with this. I am fuming. This is how you treat customers who invested heavily into the game: just leave them hanging, no refund, no explanation, just ghosting. What goes around, comes around.
They had contractual obligations to the publisher so, if the plug has been pulled, then it’s Paradox who pulled it with Romero unable to address it due to a NDA.

If this is the case, then Paradox should do the right thing and offer a comparable DLC on one of their other games.

I can’t see how it could be anything else. Romero couldn’t abandon the game as that would be a breach of contact. So my guess is that the game plus the first DLC didn’t sell as well as hoped so it was pulled to prevent further losses.
Im not sure how we legally stand on the DLC. Whether Paradox have breached contract with those who paid for it or whether buying a game in advance carries with it an element of risk. If it’s the latter there is absolutely no benefit for the customer in pre-ordering DLCs though.

If this is the case, then Paradox should do the right thing and offer a comparable DLC on one of their other games.
Paradox do respond if there’s a significant forum kick off about something. But there’s barely anyone making a noise about this so they probably think it isn’t worth their bother.
Im gutted it didn’t work out for the game but resigned to the fact that we won’t be seeing any DLC or recompense. I’ll definitely be hesitant to pre-order anything in future though unless it’s one of their flagship titles.

According to Nintendo it's now due June 2023. Changed from December this year. They still selling DLC 2.

Pasting link from phone so hopefully it works.

I wonder if HBS or Triumph are working on it to meet conctracts and save the embarrassment of issuing refunds.

According to Nintendo it's now due June 2023. Changed from December this year. They still selling DLC 2.

Pasting link from phone so hopefully it works.

I wonder if HBS or Triumph are working on it to meet conctracts and save the embarrassment of issuing refunds.
Interesting, it’s been completely removed from Steam.

edit: I lie it’s still there to preorder.

Last edited:
Romero has long started working on other projects. No matter how this turns out, this game has been an absolute embarassment for everyone involved. The idea and concept were top notch, but the quality is awful. It's also discouraging that they stopped working on it as soon as it got better. There are still game-breaking story bugs in the game. Paradox' communication has been awful, the quality of the product delivered by Romero is awful abd customers who actively supported the game by pre-ordering were left in the dust. Good job everyone, I really hope you feel good about this and you are proud of yourselves. No accountability for anyone.

• 2Like
Reactions: